Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Keetron posted:

Re: browns, I filled a pen with Diamine Ancient Copper and aint that something.
https://mountainofink.com/blog/diamine-ancient-copper
I got a Moonman C2 to fill with Ancient Copper

Yes, it looks exactly like a weird blood vial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

i came across this video and now i want more vintage pens but specifically a jrr tolkien pen.

https://youtu.be/rI5VHRgsvBg

does anyone know what it is? I'm assuming some early to mid century british fountain pen like a mabie todd or something but i cant tell

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

For those looking for good browns.. I recommend J. Herbin Lie de The it's a legit good brown. I often use it as my "professional" ink since it's different but not like bright purple, bright green or shimmery.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

tater_salad posted:

For those looking for good browns.. I recommend J. Herbin Lie de The it's a legit good brown. I often use it as my "professional" ink since it's different but not like bright purple, bright green or shimmery.

I had this one in a pen and it was horrible and scratchy but I am going to give it another chance in a pen that is coming my way soon as I heard a lot about it. Also, rock that shimmering glitter pink like a boss! If any colleague comments ask how they feel about diversity in the workplace.

For today, I went and got these:

I got no pen problem, maybe I got an ink problem.

The store also had sailor inks, anyone has experience with those?

Keetron fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 6, 2022

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Keetron posted:

The store also had sailor inks, anyone has experience with those?

sailor has so many inks they have just about every color in the visible spectrum covered probably, at this point. i have a handful, never had any problems with them in terms of quality they're p.standard. i really like yomogi (for writing) and nekoyanagi (for ink washes) from the manyo inks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Keetron posted:

I had this one in a pen and it was horrible and scratchy but I am going to give it another chance in a pen that is coming my way soon as I heard a lot about it.

I've only used it in like pens that are scratchy with any ink so I cant really advise on that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

meat glitter posted:

sailor has so many inks they have just about every color in the visible spectrum covered probably, at this point. i have a handful, never had any problems with them in terms of quality they're p.standard. i really like yomogi (for writing) and nekoyanagi (for ink washes) from the manyo inks.

May I ask what you do with the washes? What are they for and can you share some?

I'll go first. Last week I wanted to play with ink and did these two:

--- edit ---
I wrote a few letters just now and my hand cramped up and upper arm started to hurt. This is not normal or I would think it is not, hope it is not. Is this due to sudden over use and I should just write more? Anyone else has this? What can I do about it?

---edit 2 ---
Just read on the internet about writing cramps and this is NOT like that. I am very glad it is not, that sounds hosed up. What I am experiencing is just my hand and fingers getting sore, no cramping up and I remain in full control of my hand.

--- edit 3 ---
Finished a pad of clairfontaine and started a pad of Rhodia Ivory Vellum. Both are very good for writing on but the Rhodia is so pretty!

Keetron fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 9, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do you lean on your elbows while you write?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Diamine Ancient Copper is gorgeous. I love the Deep Dark Purple they do at Cult Pens, too.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Sankis posted:

i came across this video and now i want more vintage pens but specifically a jrr tolkien pen.

https://youtu.be/rI5VHRgsvBg

does anyone know what it is? I'm assuming some early to mid century british fountain pen like a mabie todd or something but i cant tell

Someone asked the curator at Oxford a while back: Osmiroid 65.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Heath posted:

Do you lean on your elbows while you write?

No, my elbow goes over the table edge, it is basically at my side.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've had a bit of fatigue caused by resting my arm or elbow in such a way that my ulnar nerve gets pressure on it, which is why I ask. Sometimes just lifting your arm up a bit can help, and taking frequent breaks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Happy birthday to me! I've never written with a fountain pen before. :confuoot:

I think I left water in the pen when I tried rinsing it. I don't think the stock Lamy blue is supposed to be this light?

Edit: Yeah it got going and it's now a completely regular blue.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 11, 2022

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, you'll probably do that a lot. Its not generally a big deal. Just scribble a bit until the water works itself out. Welcome, i hope you enjoy the pen and that you have a lot of disposable income!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Siivola posted:

Happy birthday to me! I've never written with a fountain pen before. :confuoot:

Good choice of ink, too!

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I like oversized pens and hooded nibs. I've been trying to buy an ASA Sniper for a while, but they don't respond to emails and the pens never come up on eBay. Anyone here have one collecting dust? Next stop is one of the Reddit subs, and I really don't want to make an account just for this.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Anyone have experience with FPR's pens? I got a Jaipur to compare to my incredibly cursed Konrad and while I am glad it has no catastrophically leaked yet, it writes notably wetter to the point where there's enough ink pooling to make it feather noticeably on Rhodia notepads.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Argas posted:

Anyone have experience with FPR's pens? I got a Jaipur to compare to my incredibly cursed Konrad and while I am glad it has no catastrophically leaked yet, it writes notably wetter to the point where there's enough ink pooling to make it feather noticeably on Rhodia notepads.

I have a guru, which is adjustable the way an ahab is. If the nib and feed are friction fit/come out easy you can try adjusting the distance between the end of the feed and the end of the nib — further is drier. Don't know if that's possible (or wise) with a jaipur, though.

Sidenote: got a jinhao 100. looks nice, has an incredibly tiny sweet spot, which is making me realize i seem to rotate my pen a bit while writing. I wonder what would be easier to fix.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zenostein posted:

I have a guru, which is adjustable the way an ahab is. If the nib and feed are friction fit/come out easy you can try adjusting the distance between the end of the feed and the end of the nib — further is drier. Don't know if that's possible (or wise) with a jaipur, though.

Sidenote: got a jinhao 100. looks nice, has an incredibly tiny sweet spot, which is making me realize i seem to rotate my pen a bit while writing. I wonder what would be easier to fix.

It's adjustable, just has a plastic? thing in the section that forces both feed and Nib in a particular orientation. NGL completely forgot about adjusting an adjustable feed/nib after how much a nightmare my konrad was.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mother fucker I dropped my black VP and it's definitely in need of repairs or a new nib unit.

That thing was my daily writer for well over a year at work and it finally got damaged :smith:

(the finish is patinaing nicely though)

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

aldantefax posted:

You know, to this day I haven’t handled any Pelikans, certainly not a Souveran. Nibs.com does have pretty tasty pictures of that pen though.

A lot of the folks in the SF Bay Area pen posse were absolute fiends in collecting Nakaya pens. Leigh Reyes, who may still post calligraphy music video things on Youtube from time to time, visited from the Phillipines many years ago and I got the chance to check out a Romillopen for the first time.

Basically think of an entire gaggle of gracks. I miss those folks!

you're missing out. pelikans are the best.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I got two new montblanc inks for xmas. There was also a bigger montblanc box in the bag that made my heart race but it turned out to be a belt. Which is also very good, and needed, and nice, and I will use a lot, but you know.

I really, really, really wish I had bought a MB blue hour legrande about 5 years ago when I first got interested in pens. Ebay wants $2,000 for one now :negative:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
New Delta day today, hooray!

A lovely Delta Parthenope in tortoise-shell celluloid

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Tortoiseshell is my JAM. Lovely pen Grack.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Guess what? Today is also new Delta day! Hooray!

In this case, a Delta Mask in pink

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

New pen day for me as well! Visconti Medici in Red Stellar acrylic.

It's such a smooth writer but my wallet hurts... :negative:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nice! I got one of those in blue

And that tortoise shell Delta is so nice.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 19, 2022

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Grack where's your crab??

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I don't think Delta makes them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Can't trust them grabby little claws with my precious Deltas

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

howe_sam posted:

Nice! I got one of those in blue

And that tortoise shell Delta is so nice.

Hell yeah Visconti buddy! :hfive: I love that ink you're using, the sheen and shading is outstanding.

This is my first real Visconti and so far it's been really nice! The acrylic is a lot more translucent on mine than the photos made it appear, but I'm not complaining as it's neat to see a bit of the ink come through. I looooove that the band is also an ink window.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I have poor impulse control which is obvious as I am in this thread. So I buy inks and pens, nothing unusual here.
However, once in a while, I clean up and de-stash some of my stuff.

Currently I would like to sell my full set of 25 bottles of Ink-vent Blue edition, preferred in one go. A few of these 50ml bottles have been used to fill a pen once, I am not sure anymore which those were. Back when I bought the set, I paid €200 and I am willing to part with it for €100 now. Shipping to the US by USPS would be €68,30 but I am happy to try other services. Shipping to the EU would be (about) €25. I am in the Netherlands if you want to calc shipping.
If nobody will take it, I am going to try and again in the fp reddit and else I think I will try to return it for a little bit of store credit or something.

I mean, they are all lovely inks but I am moving more towards iroshizuku in a weird weaboo kinda move I guess?

update: sold!

Keetron fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 20, 2022

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I stumbled across the ruinously expensive Otto Hutt design08 today and I am afraid there is an unreasonable expensive purchase in my future. Does anyone here have experience with Otto Hutt? They seem pretty obscure, but the scant information I can find online suggests that they have very high build quality.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Athas posted:

I stumbled across the ruinously expensive Otto Hutt design08 today and I am afraid there is an unreasonable expensive purchase in my future. Does anyone here have experience with Otto Hutt? They seem pretty obscure, but the scant information I can find online suggests that they have very high build quality.

I don't have experience with Otto Hutt but Figboot reviewed that specific pen on his channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbeY_EA5cOE&t=515s. Seems like a really intriguing pen, if a bit heavy.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
I have some fountain pens and the only one that isn't garbage is the pilot metro. The lamy safari is scratchy as poo poo and barely writes. The pilot kakuno used to be good but now its poo poo

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

styls trill epic posted:

I have some fountain pens and the only one that isn't garbage is the pilot metro. The lamy safari is scratchy as poo poo and barely writes. The pilot kakuno used to be good but now its poo poo

Meanwhile I absolutely love my Safari and am kind of meh on my Metro because it's less comfortable to hold. I'm sitting here waiting to see what the 2022 special edition colors on the Safari are gonna be before throwing a second one onto my birthday list.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Mine is bad idk if its too fine a nib or what.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The all important question: what ink did you put in it

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Heath posted:

The all important question: what ink did you put in it

just the lamay pod things. Should work fine I know its not good ink or anything but its literally the ink made to go with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Lamy ink is super super dry writing and will be scratchy in a fine nib. Lamy EFs especially are hand ground and vary widely. Some are basically needlepoint