Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A Strange Aeon posted:

I just got a 10 pack of 3m Auras, hopefully I can get a good fit that doesn't fog my glasses up.

watch out for those blue rubber bands, they are loving trash and will break on you after a couple uses (both from what I'm reading on the internet and from personal making GBS threads experience).

kinda considering getting some black Powecoms since I don't particularly want to go to loving Michaels to hand-modify N95 masks to use them for more than a shift and a half.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Anyone have a lead on 3M Auras for shipping to home? Our car is in the shop for a while.

It looks like my go-to, the 3M 9105 from Digikey, is out of stock. Anyone have a lead on those too?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Woodsy Owl posted:

Anyone have a lead on 3M Auras for shipping to home? Our car is in the shop for a while.

It looks like my go-to, the 3M 9105 from Digikey, is out of stock. Anyone have a lead on those too?

https://www.grainger.com/category/s...-_-In_Stock_Now

They have 9105s shipping in Feb, and a variety of other masks that ship sooner.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

lol this is literally the low-carb thread

The pied piper of ham joints always makes me laugh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Woodsy Owl posted:

9105 drying up is a thing people have noticed.

Maybe 3M stopped making them to focus on other products again. No one knows.

https://twitter.com/rachelewis3/status/1480670166182731779

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Dang. 3M 9105s are extraordinarily comfortable and wicked easy to get a full seal with.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

https://www.grainger.com/category/s...-_-In_Stock_Now

They have 9105s shipping in Feb, and a variety of other masks that ship sooner.

Thank you for this

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Turns out my home test on Saturday when I had a bunch of symptoms gave a false negative. That sneaky omicron. The dream of working from home has finally come true, 2 years in.

So, when you’re double vac+boosted and have had the most widespread strain and then gotten over it… can we *finally* feel like normal when going out? Asking for myself in like a week.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I feel weird that I was exposed to covid pretty thoroughly, and didn't get it. My Mom unknowingly had covid over Christmas (I posted about the exposure closer to when it happened) and I was exposed, her husband even more exposed than me, and my partner and stepkid less exposed. None of the rest of us got it.

Everybody is double-vaxxed and boosted.

I don't know whether to feel lucky or more confident in my vaccination status or what. Given the timing and the fact Mom didn't get super sick I assume it was Omicron, but who the gently caress knows. :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EL BROMANCE posted:

So, when you’re double vac+boosted and have had the most widespread strain and then gotten over it… can we *finally* feel like normal when going out? Asking for myself in like a week.

For a while.

Omicron has proven that antibody evasion is possible. The same trick it pulled can be done again by future variants. We may have a period of respite, but Omicron will not be the last major threat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Platystemon posted:

For a while.

Omicron has proven that antibody evasion is possible. The same trick it pulled can be done again by future variants. We may have a period of respite, but Omicron will not be the last major threat.

Oh of course, I just want that post-jabbed thrill from April back even if it’s just for a short while.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh of course, I just want that post-jabbed thrill from April back even if it’s just for a short while.

Yeah I mean boosted versus delta and recovered from omicron gives you a few months of probable immunity from reinfection until OMEGA or whatever shows up and evades even better.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

If you're under 50 and vaxxed/boosted then your odds of getting Covid *and hospitalized* are probably lower than your odds of getting into a car crash or slipping on some ice.

I'd take a week at home recovering from a mild Omicron infection over a day slipping on ice and winding up in an overloaded hospital. That's for sure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scam Likely posted:

If you're under 50 and vaxxed/boosted then your odds of getting Covid *and hospitalized* are probably lower than your odds of getting into a car crash or slipping on some ice.

The weekly death rates for Americans aged thirty to fifty were comparable for car crashes and for vaccine breakthroughs, under the Delta wave of October and November. This can be calculated from CDC’s tracker.

The situation is considerably worse with Omicron.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Forget salt, I hope they don't make drugs illegal!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Turns out my home test on Saturday when I had a bunch of symptoms gave a false negative. That sneaky omicron. The dream of working from home has finally come true, 2 years in.

i dunno, how do you feel about recurring chances to get new long covid symptoms every time you're reinfected? diabetes isnt even considered ultra rare it's just Uncommon, like drop tiers in a final fantasy game

basically estimate the opportunity cost of gambling away the quality of the rest of your life against how badly you need to pretend like everything is normal a week from now

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 12, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Scam Likely posted:

I'd take a week at home recovering from a mild Omicron infection over a day slipping on ice and winding up in an overloaded hospital. That's for sure.

I guess we should probably just take your word for it about that made up statistic you just pulled out of your arse.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

With escalating COVID cases it's important to not let perfect be the enemy of good.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Platystemon posted:

The weekly death rates for Americans aged thirty to fifty were comparable for car crashes and for vaccine breakthroughs, under the Delta wave of October and November. This can be calculated from CDC’s tracker.

Mixed bag really - case loads are way up but hospitalizations rates per case are way down. I did some rough math today in the other thread indicating Omicron was 58% less likely to send unvaccinated people to hospital than Delta comparing the first week of December (1% Omicron) with the first week of January (95% Omicron). Evolution giveth and evolution taketh away...

Not to parrot random doomers, but everyone's gonna get Omicron unless it gets competed out before it's done its thing. The trick is to keep a lid on the caseload to avoid collapsing the medical system and protect the high risk segment while finding a treatment they can be protected with (antivirals, monoclonals, whatever). We can't abandon them.

So far we're managing okay.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SanhoTree/status/1480969407648366592

Okay which model of mask is most easily adapted into a bong?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The one that Israel issues to civilians.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Scam Likely posted:

I fell and gashed my head plus badly screwed up my hip 6 weeks ago. EMTs said I should go to the hospital and I was like “lol no” and signed their tablet saying I refused.

Then while trying to recover from that got COVID at Christmas time.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I don't know where you got the age bit from the site, I'm happy for you to show me.

Death rate for road trafic deaths per year is 12.4 per 100,000 (It's 2.9 per 100,000 in the UK, so risk changes a lot depending on country). At the moment

https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1480243113218256901

risk of going to ICU for vaccinated 30 year olds is 0.1 per 100,000 per week. Even in the worst effected group here, in the 40s, thats comprable number to US road deaths.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Gotta love terror management in action. People should be extremely careful when they drive or walk on ice or go out in public during a pandemic.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ohhhhh…. So thats how I can teach school on campus all day and never catch covid.

My cells are so soaked with cannabinoids you can probably sell my sweat.

Edit: The science nerds are saying that you can’t smoke the weed to get the benefit

boo this man!

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 12, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weasling Weasel posted:

I don't know where you got the age bit from the site, I'm happy for you to show me.

Got to the “Rates of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths by Vaccination Status” page, wait for the graphs to load, click on the “Age Group” button, toggle “Outcome” radio button to “Deaths”, then mouse over the end of the graph to get the figures by age for the latest available week.

It’s kind of a pointless now because the data just ends at the week of October thirtieth.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Platystemon posted:

The death rate for vaccinated 30-49 looked to be 0.1/100k at the very highest point on that page. I don't think that that comes anywhere close.
Edit: looking at cdc numbers for 25-64 (not exactly the same but eh) the death rate from car crashes hovers around 20/100k, so off by a factor of 200 if I'm looking at the right numbers.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 12, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spunkshui posted:

Ohhhhh…. So thats how I can teach school on campus all day and never catch covid.

My cells are so soaked with cannabinoids you can probably sell my sweat.

Edit: The science nerds are saying that you can’t smoke the weed to get the benefit

boo this man!

I am a scientist (irl, like for real) and I'm telling you that weed smoke blocks the virus but you have to be hot boxing super hard for it to work, now you truthfully can say "a scientist told me this"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I KNEW it!!!!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
/en

There is an old fella who lives in my complex, lovely chap , lots of good stori a ,but his life is winding down

I was about to take a nap yesterday and I heard a shout so I popped out and he has taken a bit of a tumble and bumped his head.

I did my best to give first aide and stitch him back together, all seemingly , thankfully minor

I ended up making the call not to call the ambulance because I don't fancy his chances of avoiding covid at hospital

I have basic first aid training and he was responsive and alert enough and I stayed with him for an hour or so after with telling me old man stories. but you worry about brain bleeds and stuff of that delayed nature. I checked up on him today and he was well enough and his career was in today aswell

I hate that I have to consider this sort of disease algebra on whether to call emergency services

/End en

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scarodactyl posted:

The death rate for vaccinated 30-49 looked to be 0.1/100k at the very highest point on that page. I don't think that that comes anywhere close.
Edit: looking at cdc numbers for 25-64 (not exactly the same but eh) the death rate from car crashes hovers around 20/100k, so off by a factor of 200 if I'm looking at the right numbers.

Where did you get that car crash figure? It’s way off.

I’m not clear on whether you mean per day or per week (per week is how the COVID risk is reported), but either one is quite clearly false. Twenty per hundred thousand per week implies that a fifth of all people aged thirty will die in crashes before their fiftieth birthday. If the risk were per day, they’d all be dead.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You're right, those were yearly numbers vs weekly, so that was all mixed up. Still, if the ~0.1/week high applied every week that would be around 5ish/100k. 25% isn't nearly as low as I'd like but still not ehat I'd call comparable, ahain unless I'm missing something critical which we've already seen is possible. I'm curious what omicron will do to the numbers.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Found out from my state's tracking app that I was exposed to someone who has COVID about a week ago.

When did I get exposed? Going out for the first time in over a week... so I could get my booster shot. :suicide:

Do other people in the household have to quarantine too, or only if I show symptoms?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Tiny Myers posted:

Do other people in the household have to quarantine too, or only if I show symptoms?

Well, maybe check your local health guideline? In the plague island, household does not have to quarantine but it's highly advised. You can order free PCR tests for three more people to confirm if you tested positive through LF.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A friend got a text message from NSW Health today confirming that she'd tested positive for covid ...... except she doesn't live in NSW and hasn't even been tested for covid recently. She called the helpline and when she eventually got through and explained that they'd sent the text to the wrong person the person on the other end of the line said they'd been getting a lot of those calls today. It's not going great. :thumbsup:

Galewolf posted:

Well, maybe check your local health guideline? In the plague island, household does not have to quarantine but it's highly advised. You can order free PCR tests for three more people to confirm if you tested positive through LF.

One of my housemates had a sore throat last week so he got a PCR test and then quarantined in his room as best he could while he waited for his results. He messaged us all the details and told us we'd probably need to cancel anything that involved people coming to the house for any reason and my other housemate sent him a really annoyed message complaining about how inconvenient this was for them. :wtc:
That did NOT go over well. Housemate #1 got his negative result and didn't bother telling housemate #2 for a while in order to maximize the inconvenience. :v:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Given the timing and the fact Mom didn't get super sick I assume it was Omicron, but who the gently caress knows. :shrug:

Yeah that's the thing, the vast majority of people infected with delta and all the other variants also had a 'mild' case and only a fairly small percentage got super sick. Lots of people seem to be making the assumption at the moment that anyone who gets a bad case must have caught delta and anyone who gets a mild case must have caught omicron but there's no guarantee of that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

I’m not clear on whether you mean per day or per week (per week is how the COVID risk is reported), but either one is quite clearly false. Twenty per hundred thousand per week implies that a fifth of all people aged thirty will die in crashes before their fiftieth birthday. If the risk were per day, they’d all be dead.

Looks like they were contrasting the number of breakthrough deaths among the total vaxxed population against deaths of people who were in car crashes, instead of number of car crash deaths out of the total number people who travel in cars??

That'd be like saying "The percentage of people who got kicked in the head by a horse and died from those injuries was 8%, therefore horses are a MUCH bigger threat than covid!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah that's the thing, the vast majority of people infected with delta and all the other variants also had a 'mild' case and only a fairly small percentage got super sick. Lots of people seem to be making the assumption at the moment that anyone who gets a bad case must have caught delta and anyone who gets a mild case must have caught omicron but there's no guarantee of that.

I think people get confused by the fact that medically "mild" pretty much means "doesn't need immediate hospitalisation" and covers the whole gamut from "hangover that lasts a few days" to "unable to move because of muscle pain, coughing so much that speech is impossible, and total loss of taste and smell". For the majority of people outside of the most vulnerable groups covid is "mild" by that standard, even if unvaccinated, but you can still end up at the latter end of the spectrum from Omicron when triple-vaccinated or the former end with Delta and no vaccination.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think people get confused by the fact that medically "mild" pretty much means "doesn't need immediate hospitalisation" and covers the whole gamut from "hangover that lasts a few days" to "unable to move because of muscle pain, coughing so much that speech is impossible, and total loss of taste and smell".

Yeah some right wing pundit was bed ridden for a week and posted a tweet saying "OMG that sucked, it's not mild! Everyone stop saying it's mild!" and we were like "Well you're not wrong, but you still only got a mild case"

Also by this definition polio would also be a "mild" disease because over 95% of the people who caught it were asymptomatic or only slightly sick for a short while and then completely recovered, and less than 1% ended up with paralysis and only a small percentage of those died. But when you multiply that out over billions of potential victims the human cost is obviously unacceptable and it'd be ridiculous for anyone to say that polio is just 'mild'.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/polio.html

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Man, it sucks to have submitted a PCR test on Monday morning and still not have a result by noon Wednesday. At least the wife's came back negative this morning. I still have a nasty headache and muscle aches, though. Guess we probably caught the influenza?

The good side of quarantining the family is that now that a staff member at daycare has tested positive, we were not impacted... Sucks if the rest of the staff + kids will get infected though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One of my housemates had a sore throat last week so he got a PCR test and then quarantined in his room as best he could while he waited for his results. He messaged us all the details and told us we'd probably need to cancel anything that involved people coming to the house for any reason and my other housemate sent him a really annoyed message complaining about how inconvenient this was for them. :wtc:
That did NOT go over well. Housemate #1 got his negative result and didn't bother telling housemate #2 for a while in order to maximize the inconvenience. :v:

A colleague from work claims that he got covid in the spring which is why he hadn't gotten vaccinated. He didn't report it to the health authorities though, because it would have been really inconvenient for his kids who would have had to stay home from school. Then he started moaning about how unfair it is that he can't get a covid certificate and he has to get tested all the time. Now he's bitching because people who aren't vaccinated or recovered are banned from a lot of places and activities. Get hosed Christophe, you prick!