Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Azuth0667 posted:

Third person or first person doesn't matter. I'm looking for two armies fighting with my character as an officer or someone who has some sort of influence on the battle and objectives to fight over. I already have bannerlord which was close and the less grinding involved the better.

I don't know of any non-anime Musou style games, but...

Have you played Halo? It's an FPS, but most of the series is you, a single person, running from battle to battle and making the decisive difference. Sometimes winning the battle impacts the wider campaign, sometimes it just means you (and however many mooks you manage to keep alive) aren't dead.

I haven't played it, but the descriptions I've heard of Shadow of Mordor sounded fairly close to what you want.

There are a bunch of games that mix tower defense and FPS gameplay. Maybe something like Orcs Must Die 3 (fantasy) or Sanctum (Sci-Fi) would be good to try. They hit that concept of critical paths and nodes effectively. They also allow (require usually) your player character to make an effective personal impact. They do require you to setup your traps/towers yourself, which may be more involvement with the bigger-picture gameplay than you want.

If you are willing to try something really esoteric, maybe take a look at The Last Federation or Drox Operative? There was also another game where you played (the pilot of) a single spaceship in the middle of an ongoing multi-sided galactic war. You could support any/as many of the sides as you want to. It didn't provide a lot of support for the playstyle, but some people would play the whole game following AI fleets from battle to battle and helping where they could. I can't remember the name of it; Space Rangers or Star Rangers or something like that I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Are there any indie football (soccer) games worth checking out? The new Efootball is a disgrace and I've never liked FIFA. There must be some alternatives out there. I don't particularly care about real player names etc.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Are there any indie football (soccer) games worth checking out? The new Efootball is a disgrace and I've never liked FIFA. There must be some alternatives out there. I don't particularly care about real player names etc.

does Pyre count

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rocket League.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I've mostly been playing Valheim and Genshin Impact recently, but I'm feeling really nostalgic for Drakan: the Ancient's Gate on PS2. It was a big action RPG where you had a talking dragon buddy you could ride and fly around, exploring the open world. I remember some decent aerial combat, OK ground combat, neat-looking armor set that changed your appearance. Also a very nice swamp level, which I always appreciate. Drakengard games also gave you a dragon buddy you could ride, but even though they had better combat I never found them to have the same chill yet janky charm of exploring the world with my pal Arokh.

I've been thinking about other games that might feel similar. Xenoblade Chronicles (not played) has been recommended for cool swamp levels to me before (and one of them has a flying mech), Dragon Quest Builders 2 lets you ride around on a flying chimera, and I could even see Halo Infinite's (not played) single player mode as a potential fun time if the Banshee is as fun to pilot as I dimly remember on the OG Xbox. I think you have a robot buddy chatting with you. I never played far in FF15, but the car riding segments in that were fairly charming too.

Anything I might be overlooking? My preference would be for something aesthetically similar to Drakan, but I'm open to anything that gives you a cool world to explore and a flying vehicle or movement mode in addition to ground action.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

I've mostly been playing Valheim and Genshin Impact recently, but I'm feeling really nostalgic for Drakan: the Ancient's Gate on PS2. It was a big action RPG where you had a talking dragon buddy you could ride and fly around, exploring the open world. I remember some decent aerial combat, OK ground combat, neat-looking armor set that changed your appearance. Also a very nice swamp level, which I always appreciate. Drakengard games also gave you a dragon buddy you could ride, but even though they had better combat I never found them to have the same chill yet janky charm of exploring the world with my pal Arokh.

I've been thinking about other games that might feel similar. Xenoblade Chronicles (not played) has been recommended for cool swamp levels to me before (and one of them has a flying mech), Dragon Quest Builders 2 lets you ride around on a flying chimera, and I could even see Halo Infinite's (not played) single player mode as a potential fun time if the Banshee is as fun to pilot as I dimly remember on the OG Xbox. I think you have a robot buddy chatting with you. I never played far in FF15, but the car riding segments in that were fairly charming too.

Anything I might be overlooking? My preference would be for something aesthetically similar to Drakan, but I'm open to anything that gives you a cool world to explore and a flying vehicle or movement mode in addition to ground action.

Divinity 2 (not Original Sin) lets you turn into a dragon in the world and absolutely has that kind of mid-late 00s janky charm

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

That does sound like it could be fun! I remember really enjoying Dragon Commander, and that's the same devs+setting.

EDIT: Looks like it's 90% off on Steam atm too. Lots of deals. Would any of the Gothic or Elex games be a decent fit?

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 2, 2022

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

That does sound like it could be fun! I remember really enjoying Dragon Commander, and that's the same devs+setting.

EDIT: Looks like it's 90% off on Steam atm too. Lots of deals. Would any of the Gothic or Elex games be a decent fit?

Ah if you.liked Dragon Commander you'll definitely like 2! I remember really looking forward to DC and *quite* enjoying it but found it a bit half baked. The general feel and tone is super similar though.

Gothic, Risen and Elex are great imo but not necessarily something I'd consider similar to what you're looking for. They're much more serious and "dark", basically the polar opposite of e.g. having a button to turn into a dragon at will and kick rear end

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In Gothic you buy a scroll that turns you into a raptor and kill everything on the map at the start of the game to skip all the combat.
Does that count?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I don't have anything in the dragon / fantasy style but the Just Cause games (particularly 3 and 4) and Batman Arkham City / Origins / Knight have open worlds that you can fly around and then dive down to the ground and absolutely ruin some guy's day

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been playing (and re-playing) a lot of Rift Breaker survival, Orcs Must Die, and Slay the Spire lately. The short duration of each round, as well as action-packed and fun moment-to-moment gameplay is what I think I've been enjoying about them. The meta progression is nice too. What else does that well? (I suspect I'm going to get a lot of Hades recommendations, and that's fine. The art style of Hades didn't hook me so I'm hoping for other recommendations as well.)

LLSix fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 3, 2022

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
gunfire reborn, binding of isaac, monster train, neon abyss, inscryption, jupiter hell, streets of rogue, rift wizard, griftlands, mindustry

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Engaging moment to moment gameplay combined with metaprogression is the roguelite bread and butter so yeah you'll definitely get a few recommendations like that. If you're okay with those then Dead Cells (plays a lot like a very tightly controlling Castlevania) and Enter the Gungeon (twin stick shooter) are both really good fun. Rogue Legacy (another 2D Castlevania-esque game) is another good one and I think the sequel is in early access.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

avoraciopoctules posted:

Gothic / Elex don't have you transform into dragons except for the aforementioned scrolls, but IMO their sense of world exploration is unmatched. Also you mentioned swamps couple of times, Gothic does have nice swamps. And in ELEX you have a jetpack you can use to ignore world geometry and abuse enemies.

Worth noting is that combat in these games are less about mastery of systems and more about unlocking the means that allow you to brute force you way through obstacles in various ways

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

That is excellent news. I love figuring out ways to break games. I think I will add Divinity 2, Gothic, and Elex to the list. Looks like some of the Gothic games have a console, so if I am really lucky I might be able to figure out how to wander around in noclip mode. As for Risen, I will probably try out one of the floaty boaty assassins creed games first. Thanks a bunch!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

That is excellent news. I love figuring out ways to break games. I think I will add Divinity 2, Gothic, and Elex to the list. Looks like some of the Gothic games have a console, so if I am really lucky I might be able to figure out how to wander around in noclip mode. As for Risen, I will probably try out one of the floaty boaty assassins creed games first. Thanks a bunch!
Risen 1 is just a Gothic game with no pirate/boat stuff and Risen 2 and 3 are poo poo, fwiw

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When I think "weird forgotten kinda janky open world action RPG gem", I think Dragon's Dogma.

I think Just Cause is the only recent open world game series that has a focus on flying, but you could also try the new Spiderman for its mobility.

For swamps, the Dark Souls series springs to mind, but only one of the three swamps in Dark Souls 3 I actually liked. Jedi: Fallen Order has a swamp full of maneating plants in the depths of Kashyyyk. There's also the Assassin's Creed series, where AC: Liberation had a big chunk in the Louisiana bayou, but also Origins has a really interesting depiction of the Nile floodplains, with entire villages built on the delta and knee-deep canals criss-crossing over footpaths. I think it's really interesting. The latest big thing for pretty atmospheric open worlds is Kena and the Bridge of Spirits, which may have a swamp in it, since it's a lot of natural environments in proximity with water.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I'm looking for a FPS survival, crafting game that doesn't have zombies but has other towns/NPCs on the map so it doesn't feel empty. Monsters/animals are fine. I'm just bored with zombies. I prefer single player but not against multiplayer.
I've played Empyrion Galactic Survival, No Man's Sky, Minecraft, The Forest etc already. I know you can turn zombies off in The Forest but that kinda neuters the whole thing.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

chainchompz posted:

I'm looking for a FPS survival, crafting game that doesn't have zombies but has other towns/NPCs on the map so it doesn't feel empty. Monsters/animals are fine. I'm just bored with zombies. I prefer single player but not against multiplayer.
I've played Empyrion Galactic Survival, No Man's Sky, Minecraft, The Forest etc already. I know you can turn zombies off in The Forest but that kinda neuters the whole thing.

Terminator Resistance

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chainchompz posted:

The Long Dark kind of falls down on the towns/NPCs front but might be worth a look? Also STALKER

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Knightsoul posted:

Terminator Resistance
This looks interesting. It's on sale on steam right now. I'll give it a whirl.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Long Dark kind of falls down on the towns/NPCs front but might be worth a look? Also STALKER

I have The Long Dark but haven't played since early access. If Terminator Resistance is a miss I'll reinstall this.

Thanks all.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Knightsoul posted:

Terminator Resistance

Oh man, now I'm remembering the excellent Terminator SkyNET FPS from the mid-90s. That was the first FPS I ever played that basically required mouse aiming. Prior to that, I'd only played FPSes that controlled fine with just the keyboard, like Doom and Dark Forces, as they didn't require precise aim. I vaguely recall the PC Gamer reviewer being surprised (and possibly annoyed) that those Terminator games were designed around mouse aim.

If memory serves, right-click was the default for jump (either that, or it's what I decided early on to bind jump to), and I've used right-click for jump in the decades since. Spacebar to jump is just not part of my muscle memory and probably never will be. :corsair:

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

chainchompz posted:

This looks interesting. It's on sale on steam right now. I'll give it a whirl.

In my opinion, it's the best game of the Terminator franchise: the devs made a great job at recreating the tension displayed in the first 2 movies.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Starsector was the game I didn't know I needed thanks goons!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any card games that have 2v2 gamemodes?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i'm looking for something similar-ish to Survival mode from The Division, i loved that it was a BR that had some survival elements mixed in. doesn't necessarily need to be multiplayer but something with "runs" that i can do. i've heard good things about moonshot for prey, so i might try that relatively soon.

any other games have that feel? is tarkov like that?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Gothic / Elex don't have you transform into dragons except for the aforementioned scrolls, but IMO their sense of world exploration is unmatched. Also you mentioned swamps couple of times, Gothic does have nice swamps. And in ELEX you have a jetpack you can use to ignore world geometry and abuse enemies.

Worth noting is that combat in these games are less about mastery of systems and more about unlocking the means that allow you to brute force you way through obstacles in various ways

Just wanted to piggyback on this a bit to ask about Elex because I just adore ambitious b tier poo poo. Is the jank charming or does it actively screw up the core design of the game? Like what's wrong with the game? Depending on what, I'd probably go for it. Not a lot of folks I've run into have played it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any card games that have 2v2 gamemodes?

Bridge and Spades are both 2v2.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BurningBeard posted:

Just wanted to piggyback on this a bit to ask about Elex because I just adore ambitious b tier poo poo. Is the jank charming or does it actively screw up the core design of the game? Like what's wrong with the game? Depending on what, I'd probably go for it. Not a lot of folks I've run into have played it.

There's nothing "wrong" with it per se. But you should know what you want from the game - specifically, don't expect a precise combat system, a Souls-like it isn't. Which is fine with me, since I don't like those games, but others might have their expectations set up differently. Combat in all Piranha Bytes has been kinda perfunctory in that it's mostly just a means to get XP and progress further in the game, something to get out of the way - and in ELEX, just like in Risen before it, it feels very floaty and there's a noticeable delay between inputs and actions. So the meat and potatoes of gameplay (imo) is exploration, loot gathering and questing, which are good.

Other than that, just expect the usual cut corners with regards to presentation, sometimes the translation can feel weird etc. - the sort of stuff that comes with a game by a small dev, but nothing game breaking.

Also I''d recommend downloading the rebalance mod on Nexus even for your first game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Pirahna Bytes has managed to keep making games with some kind of following I don't really get, but the closest thing I can think of to how it feels to play one of them in recent memory by someone else is Greedfall. It's something that presents itself on the box as being a very polished grand adventure, and their heart's in it and everything, but there's just little things off about it over and over. The only real difference to me is that Greedfall actually tried to make combat interesting.

If you're into that kind of thing you've got a whole developer to get into

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
When it comes to Eurojank, ELEX is eminently playable. It does feature a difficulty cliff instead of a curve, and you will get severely destroyed in combat before gaining any traction. ELEX, Kingdom Come, and Gothic are the introductory games to the genre, then maybe something like Two Worlds if you can't get enough of absolutely baffling game design.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

Compared to other PB games it feels like... OK, I'm drawing a blank at trying to think of an open world fantasy game that isn't janky as gently caress, but that. It's entirely playable

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Thanks all I’ll snap it up next time it’s on sale.

I can forgive a lot if something feels like it’s swinging for the fences and misses.

Outward is a pretty good example of that. When devs punch above their weight I love it. Sure they fall short just as often as they don’t, but as long as it’s not actively crashy and buggy, I’m into taking whatever wild ride is on offer.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 11, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's that time again where I come around looking for game recommendations. SA's GOTY 2021 FFXIV Endwalker has been sucking up all my time but I'm finally settling into a post expansion routine and am looking for something else to play around with.

I've brought this up before, but I feel like your classic hack-n-slash RPGs aren't really that popular anymore, and that sucks. I want something where I can just roam around and fight stuff with swords and magic. Witcher 3, naturally, is one of my favorite games of all time. I know it is bad, but I also loved Kingdoms of Amalur, just because the combat was fun and mindless. I do not like Dynasty Warriors-style games.

Diablo 3 is fun enough, but I prefer more behind-the-back/over-the-shoulder style gameplay more than isometric.

I didn't like Hades as much as I wish I did. It's a good game, but just didn't have enough variety for me.

Despite really liking Code Vein, I don't like Souls games because they give me intense anxiety. And I'm just looking for some "push button, swing sword, kill goblin" action.

I mean, gently caress man, at this point, I wish another Dragon Age game was out, even though only one of the three was actually any good.

I'm looking for anything on either PC or Switch.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 12, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Have you looked at the Cat Quest games?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

It's that time again where I come around looking for game recommendations. SA's GOTY 2021 FFXIV Endwalker has been sucking up all my time but I'm finally settling into a post expansion routine and am looking for something else to play around with.

I've brought this up before, but I feel like your classic hack-n-slash RPGs aren't really that popular anymore, and that sucks. I want something where I can just roam around and fight stuff with swords and magic. Witcher 3, naturally, is one of my favorite games of all time. I know it is bad, but I also loved Kingdoms of Amalur, just because the combat was fun and mindless. I do not like Dynasty Warriors-style games.

Diablo 3 is fun enough, but I prefer more behind-the-back/over-the-shoulder style gameplay more than isometric.

I didn't like Hades as much as I wish I did. It's a good game, but just didn't have enough variety for me.

Despite really liking Code Vein, I don't like Souls games because they give me intense anxiety. And I'm just looking for some "push button, swing sword, kill goblin" action.

I mean, gently caress man, at this point, I wish another Dragon Age game was out, even though only one of the three was actually any good.

Have you played Dragon's Dogma?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

anilEhilated posted:

Have you played Dragon's Dogma?

Yup.

ultrafilter posted:

Have you looked at the Cat Quest games?

I hadn't heard of those. I'll have to take a look.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Ys: Origin or Lacrimosa of Dana

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Mordiceius--

Deaths Door? It's not exactly the right perspective but imo had really fun combat. Kind of a Zelda esque souls like although really not very punishing. No minimap though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I would not normally recommend this, but Necropolis is a roguelite made by Harebrained Schemes that uses a Dark Souls style of combat and just starts you on floor one and has you try to go down floors. Tilesets change as you progress, and you get more shiny goodies, and it can get pretty tough. It's also pretty dreary, and not really visually impressive, so if you want some charm, that's not what I'd go with. If what you want is purely to move a guy around in 3rd person to kill bad guys and get loot and use potions and scrolls and stuff, then Necropolis could be for you! However, I'd wait for a sale. If you DO want charm, the remaster of Legend of Mana is out on switch, as is the remake of Trials of Mana. These are pretty lighthearted games and the core of them really is just going through dungeons and beating stuff up.