Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tiggum posted:

Well, firstly, a cup is a measure of volume, not weight; a cup of feathers does weigh less than a cup of bricks. Second, different products fit more or less neatly, so a cup of each of two products made of the same exact ingredients but in different shapes would be different amounts. Unless the standard is 255 grams and you just happened to pick a product where that value matches with the amount that fits in a cup? Third, that's just the serving size and the serving size is different for every product, right?

According to this: https://www.fda.gov/food/new-nutrition-facts-label/serving-size-updates-new-nutrition-facts-label it is primarily based on weight, and it only has volumetric for convenience since most Americans don't know metric that well.)

That does not seem to be a complete list (for instance, I don't see things like potato chips on there) but it does confirm that weight is the primary serving size and any volumetric measurement is just an approximation to make quick measuring easier for some people.

V V V They're allowed to do a lot of weird rounding. Tic Tacs, for instance, despite being almost 100% sugar can claim to be 0 calories because the serving size is so small (like 1 Tic Tac) they can round down the amount of sugar per serving to 0. 0 sugar = 0 calories. I don't know if that's still the case, since the FDA did just revamp the label guidelines a couple years ago, but it certainly was for decades. V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The one that gets me is when the math doesn't work out for per serving vs. per container. Canned clam chowder, 2 servings per container, 230 calories per serving, 480 calories per container.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I don't wanna have to do division, I'm not eating a family size bag of chips in one sitting, tell me how much is in 10 chips and I'll go from there

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

I don't wanna have to do division, I'm not eating a family size bag of chips in one sitting, tell me how much is in 10 chips and I'll go from there

Shameful goon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

According to this: https://www.fda.gov/food/new-nutrition-facts-label/serving-size-updates-new-nutrition-facts-label it is primarily based on weight, and it only has volumetric for convenience since most Americans don't know metric that well.)

That does not seem to be a complete list (for instance, I don't see things like potato chips on there) but it does confirm that weight is the primary serving size and any volumetric measurement is just an approximation to make quick measuring easier for some people.
It's completely inconsistent though. The standard serve for crumpets and scones is 55g, but for bagels and "toaster pastries" it's 110g. For "seafood substitutes" it's 55g, but for canned fish or meat it's 85g. And for fruit it's 50g. Milk and juice concentrates are 240ml, but other beverages are 360ml. How is this useful?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
It's meant to be based around the amount a person would typically eat as a serving (even if it's totally wrong in most cases) rather than a standardized amount because Americans don't have kitchen scales to find out how much 100g of something is and most people aren't going to be comparing the nutrition facts between completely different categories of food anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

It's meant to be based around the amount a person would typically eat as a serving (even if it's totally wrong in most cases) rather than a standardized amount because Americans don't have kitchen scales to find out how much 100g of something is and most people aren't going to be comparing the nutrition facts between completely different categories of food anyway.
You don't need scales, because the pack also tells you the total weight of the product. And crumpets and bagels aren't different categories of food. They're both types of bread commonly eaten for breakfast.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

gently caress it, clearly this is too hard, let's go back to not having nutrition labels at all and thinking chocolate milk is healthy

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
No, I need to know how much vitamin D I'm taking in when I drink one of these 500ml bottles of hot sauce.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On the nutritional tangent, advertising that you 'technically' don't have something. ex: 'No sugar added!'
Especially when it has no bearing on the product, sure it doesn't have sugar added, but it sure has plenty of sugar from other sources present.

I wish marketing and labelling laws would be more strict with bullshit technically-technically loopholes with products, it's just useless.
The product isn't better because it has 50g of sucrose from a tasteless grapejuice concentrate, instead of 50g of sucrose from plain sugar.

Marketing something as sugarfree and no-sugar-added are two entirely different things. I dunno how it is elsewhere, but I commonly see that poo poo here in Norway.
This also extends to arbitrary marketing buzz like 'natural' and other completely unregulated terms.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

SubNat posted:

On the nutritional tangent, advertising that you 'technically' don't have something. ex: 'No sugar added!'
Especially when it has no bearing on the product, sure it doesn't have sugar added, but it sure has plenty of sugar from other sources present.

I wish marketing and labelling laws would be more strict with bullshit technically-technically loopholes with products, it's just useless.
The product isn't better because it has 50g of sucrose from a tasteless grapejuice concentrate, instead of 50g of sucrose from plain sugar.

Marketing something as sugarfree and no-sugar-added are two entirely different things. I dunno how it is elsewhere, but I commonly see that poo poo here in Norway.
This also extends to arbitrary marketing buzz like 'natural' and other completely unregulated terms.

It is the same in the UK. 'all natural flavours' 'no added colours', '100% natural sugars' all that poo poo.

What's worse though, is off the shelf medication and pain killers and what not. You can get three LITERALLY identical products, say paracetamol, where one is 50p, one is £1 and one is £3.50, and the only difference is brand. Or even sometimes the same brand, but one says it targets headaches or something. That should be illegal, as nothing but sheer ignorance sustains the expensive products.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My personal favorite for a while has been "gluten free!" on products which a) never had gluten to begin with (e.g. corn chips) or b) remain unhealthy regardless of gluten content (e.g. Oreos).

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tiggum posted:

Second, if they want to be allowed to continue putting serving sizes on the pack (in addition to per 100g and per whole pack) then there should be two simple rules: the serving size must be a whole number. None of this "3.6 serves" bullshit. And if the pack contains discrete food items, the serving size must constitute a whole number of them. No more "this pack of three sausages contains two serves". You're telling me you expect people to serve one-and-a-half sausages per person? Bull. poo poo.

If I went to a friend's house for a meal, and they only gave me 1.5 sausages, that person would no longer be my friend.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Well, firstly, a cup is a measure of volume, not weight; a cup of feathers does weigh less than a cup of bricks. Second, different products fit more or less neatly, so a cup of each of two products made of the same exact ingredients but in different shapes would be different amounts. Unless the standard is 255 grams and you just happened to pick a product where that value matches with the amount that fits in a cup? Third, that's just the serving size and the serving size is different for every product, right?

bricks is heavier than feathers

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Imagined posted:

My personal favorite for a while has been "gluten free!" on products which a) never had gluten to begin with (e.g. corn chips) or b) remain unhealthy regardless of gluten content (e.g. Oreos).

or c) clearly aren't gluten free and they're just gambling on nobody with celiac disease eating it, although that's poo poo I see pulled at grocery store deli sections rather than on packaged foods. Cod, clearly dredged in flour, "gluten free" sticker right next to the "made with WHOLE WHEAT" sticker.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Margarine seems to have become "plant based butter" sometime in the last year and it's pissing me off

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Nostradingus posted:

Margarine seems to have become "plant based butter" sometime in the last year and it's pissing me off

Crude oil is plant-based, I don’t understand the confusion?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My peeve is that we haven't come up with a way to make real butter easily spreadable on the toast without microwaving it. Genetically modify a cow to put olive oil or whatever into their butter excretions so we can spread it on the toast straight from the refrigerator.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My peeve is that we haven't come up with a way to make real butter easily spreadable on the toast without microwaving it. Genetically modify a cow to put olive oil or whatever into their butter excretions so we can spread it on the toast straight from the refrigerator.
I've highlighted the issue

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

FFT posted:

I've highlighted the issue

The box says keep refrigerated i'm not about to disobey a box.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
You should keep most of it refrigerated, but if you're using it daily on toast and stuff it's fine to leave a few day's worth out unrefrigerated in an airtight container.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My peeve is that we haven't come up with a way to make real butter easily spreadable on the toast without microwaving it.
We have though. You just have to "triple churn" it, apparently.

Dip Viscous posted:

You should keep most of it refrigerated, but if you're using it daily on toast and stuff it's fine to leave a few day's worth out unrefrigerated in an airtight container.
My parents have stored butter on a plate in the pantry for their entire lives (except in summer when it's hot enough to melt it) and they've never died from it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I have a small plate of butter that I keep forgetting to throw out that still looks perfectly normal at least 8 months after I put it in there. I keep seeing it in there and thinking "just throw it out so you don't accidentally use it" but I kind of want to see how long it will take to get visibly gross.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nostradingus posted:

I don't know where you are, but often there is a technical definition for margarine. In Australia, I believe it has to have a minimum of 80% oil/fat to be called margarine. A lot of "margarines" have less fat than that, so everything is "table spread" now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dip Viscous posted:

I have a butter bell, and I love it. Then again I use a ton of butter, so it's no thing for me to mash a new stick of butter into it every week or two.

Other than when it's cold, it spreads like a dream.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I have a small plate of butter that I keep forgetting to throw out that still looks perfectly normal at least 8 months after I put it in there. I keep seeing it in there and thinking "just throw it out so you don't accidentally use it" but I kind of want to see how long it will take to get visibly gross.

It might not ever. The low water content keeps away most bacterial or fungal growth. If it's salted butter, then even more so. Not that NOTHING will ever grow, I'm pretty drat sure I've seen moldy butter, but I guess whatever common spores are floating around the average kitchen just aren't butter fans.

When people say butter goes bad, they typically just mean it's gone rancid and tastes disgusting.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Tiggum posted:

My parents have stored butter on a plate in the pantry for their entire lives (except in summer when it's hot enough to melt it) and they've never died from it.

Yeah, I should clarify that pasteurized butter will basically never degrade to the point that it's unsafe to eat, it's just that after a week or two without refrigeration it still start to lose its flavor and then eventually taste kind of stale.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dip Viscous posted:

Yeah, I should clarify that pasteurized butter will basically never degrade to the point that it's unsafe to eat, it's just that after a week or two without refrigeration it still start to lose its flavor and then eventually taste kind of stale.

Nice.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

YouTube videos that bleep out their own swears. Oh no, can't say "Bullshit" on my video! The PTA might get mad at me, so let me bleep it out!

Except you're on a script, buckaroo. It's not like the naughty word just slipped out! Just don't swear in the first place, maybe, and you won't have to bleep it out and look like an idiot? The bleep on the bad word attracts much more attention than if you'd just said the stupid word in the first place!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YouTube legit will stop you from making money if you say certain things. It’s very weird. Very wholesome and not reactionary YouTubers like report of the week got videos demonetized because they mentioned Covid.

You can’t even say the word without YouTube siccing their bots on you.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Silver Falcon posted:

YouTube videos that bleep out their own swears. Oh no, can't say "Bullshit" on my video! The PTA might get mad at me, so let me bleep it out!

Except you're on a script, buckaroo. It's not like the naughty word just slipped out! Just don't swear in the first place, maybe, and you won't have to bleep it out and look like an idiot? The bleep on the bad word attracts much more attention than if you'd just said the stupid word in the first place!

The bleep gets around algorithms that automatically demonetize the video. They're not trying to not say "bullshit," they're trying to say "bullshit" and still make money.

e:fb

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
It's even weirder than that because supposedly bleeping swears for the first two minutes and then swearing without bleeping for the rest of the video makes more money than not swearing or swearing without any bleeping.

It's all bots and no, YouTube will not tell you the actual rules even after you get hit by them.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I have a youtube channel on which I talk about birds. I play a crow on these videos. I've gotten notices that videos in which I talk about a group of crows is demonitized. As are my videos on which I discuss tits and boobys. Just tryin to talk about birds!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
A woodworking channel I watched years ago started getting everything demonetized for no apparent reason, until the creator eventually gave up and deleted the channel. Way later he managed to get an in person meeting at YouTube to ask why and it was because one time he showed how to use a checkering file on wood. There was concern that a checking file could be used for "firearm modification".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dip Viscous posted:

There was concern that a checking file could be used for "firearm modification".

drat they need to get a grip! Just arbitrarily drawing hard lines like that.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
One could certainly draw some parallels between the two cases.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's entirely frictional as a complaint. I wouldn't put much stock in a company that would handle things so clumsily.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dip Viscous posted:

The one that gets me is when the math doesn't work out for per serving vs. per container. Canned clam chowder, 2 servings per container, 230 calories per serving, 480 calories per container.

They round everything to the lowest 5. For example diet drinks besides plain soda water and artificial sweetener colas usually have a negligible amount of calories to produce the flavour. You can check it out on those coke freestyle machines. Pick something like powerade zero, the smallest size is 0 calories and the 64oz trucker mug has like 15. The reality is it's like 2.2 and 19.

Now imagine how many millions of lobbying dollars were spent to make it this way instead of rounding to the nearest five.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Jan 16, 2022

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I'm glad they started listing the whole container's calories, instead of "2 and 3/4 cup serving size". It's better, but it still leads to snacks selling a silly Low Calorie Pack version with less chips.

Best idea I can think of is printing calories per non-water weight. Easy comparison with any other product, no matter the size of the package or how much of it you're eating. I say non-water weight because just doing calories per weight would make soup or soda look really low calorie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Peeve:
People who let their dogs bark all day, every day.
I work a graveyard shift, so I sleep during the afternoon.
It is very difficult to get a solid eight hours.
Even wearing ear plugs, I can still hear the dogs barking.

I think that dogs are cool, don't get me wrong.
But when they bark for literally twelve hours each day, it's like shut up yo.