Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We had one lose the landing gear spotted at a retread manufacturer, talk about a big rear end mess. Baled cardboard wouldn't be the worst but paper rolls have to be up there in weight with those rubber pallets. We ended up paying for two of those big recovery wreckers and about three hours of sketchy, sketchy work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Customer just sent us this:

Poor little guy is all tuckered out.

I like to imagine the Pallas cat is sticking its head out the top and looking excited with the mess.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Cartoon Man posted:

Truck status: fuckled. Florida has no safety inspections.

I live in a state that has safety inspections and I couldn't imagine that some states wouldn't have them. many years ago I saw an episode of pimp my ride where some guy had a car that was made of the front of one car welded to the back of a different kind of car. I thought "pffft this show must be fake. there's no way that he'd be able to get that inspected!" But then I learned that places like California and Florida exist. Even later I learned that states like Arkansas and South Carolina don't even require emissions.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

Even later I learned that states like Arkansas and South Carolina don't even require emissions.
Emissions testing is a tax on the poor, as are "safety" inspections. If governments cared about automobile safety they would make getting a driver's license much harder; that is from a skills and knowledge standpoint, not merely monetarily like what a lot of so-called "progressive" governments do. I'm glad that some U.S. states have decided to end their emissions and inspection programs.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I live in a state that has safety inspections and I couldn't imagine that some states wouldn't have them. many years ago I saw an episode of pimp my ride where some guy had a car that was made of the front of one car welded to the back of a different kind of car. I thought "pffft this show must be fake. there's no way that he'd be able to get that inspected!" But then I learned that places like California and Florida exist. Even later I learned that states like Arkansas and South Carolina don't even require emissions.

The only check of any kind in Kansas is that you have to run your VIN and have an officer physically look at the vehicle if you bought it used from out of state.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Illinois only has emissions around Chicago, the Quad Cities, and St. Louis. No emissions or inspections anywhere else.

Just moved to Wisconsin and had to do an emissions test for the first time in 24 years of driving. I guess that is also in counties surrounding the larger cities. No inspection, however.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Inspections don't statistically reduce accidents caused by carbominations.

States with inspections, like my distant home of Virginia, usually have antique exceptions for 25 year old cars which is just loving hilarious to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Customer just sent us this:

Poor little guy is all tuckered out.
The jack-o challenge is really getting out of hand

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Uthor posted:

Illinois only has emissions around Chicago, the Quad Cities, and St. Louis. No emissions or inspections anywhere else.

Just moved to Wisconsin and had to do an emissions test for the first time in 24 years of driving. I guess that is also in counties surrounding the larger cities. No inspection, however.

yup, pretty much the same as Illinois

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Unsure if this is the right place to ask but I'm looking to get into health and safety inspection / practice and have taken a couple of certificates in the UK. Having completed an IOSH Working and IOSH Managing course, I'm heading next for a NEBOSH general certificate. Since I'm in the UK but looking to work in the USA in the future with my husband, I take it that it'd be more practical to do the NEBOSH international general certificate?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ILL Machina posted:

States with inspections, like my distant home of Virginia, usually have antique exceptions for 25 year old cars which is just loving hilarious to me.

A great irony to me is that Texas has vehicle inspections, statewide. Of all places. Texas. "Muh freedoms" land of the Alamo makes people get their poo poo fixed before it can be road legal.

Colorado had me go get my VIN run by a dealership when I moved here, nothing else.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

ILL Machina posted:

My 1994 Geo Prism almost made it to my state's antique auto exception. Was I going to get an ironic antique auto plate for it? You bet your rear end I was. But the cruel Maine winter finally finished its grim work and the frame rusted out from under the car. Every mechanic I ever brought it to said that the engine would be turning over the day I had to scrap it when the frame gave out. They were all correct. That Toyota engine only put up 94 HP but it was a loving juggernaut. I loved that car.

My beloved car died less than a year from that antique auto plate. :negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

A great irony to me is that Texas has vehicle inspections, statewide. Of all places. Texas. "Muh freedoms" land of the Alamo makes people get their poo poo fixed before it can be road legal.

Colorado had me go get my VIN run by a dealership when I moved here, nothing else.

Don't worry, there's a Real Republican™ running for governor against the RINO Greg Abbot and he wants to completely get rid of car inspections, because who doesn't want to see rusted in half trucks rolling down the road?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Roll oxide to own the libs

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HOLY poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/TJkQ0bR.gifv

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

:stare:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GOD drat

That's some Final Destination poo poo right there

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Elevator safety inspections are a tax on poor building owners and don't actually make anything safer. :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Elevator safety inspections are a tax on poor building owners and don't actually make anything safer. :colbert:

Those inspections are a ploy by Big Elevator to put elevator repairmen out of business

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

High speed paternoster!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

High speed paternoster!

So the people on the other leg were launched into the stratosphere?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

A new OSHA classic is born. That elevator cuts straight from apparently solid to freefall. How many safety systems had to fail to get to that point?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What kind of elevator fails by falling down instead of up?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Scarodactyl posted:

a cartoon elevator with no brakes, suspended by a single (failed) cable from the penthouse hoist drum?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Those electric pallet jacks are heavy as gently caress.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Scarodactyl posted:

Oh, you misunderstand. See, the elevator remained stationary. They simply raised the building.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The elevator didn't move at all, as pointed out. They moved the space around it. That's how you get to floor 13, morons.
In fact, that man is lucky there wasn't a fly in the elevator with him or he would have turned into Tuvix

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 12, 2022

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bad Munki posted:

So the people on the other leg were launched into the stratosphere?

Or turned into a red flapjack on the ceiling when it stopped

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

hope he bought a lotto ticket

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

After you see what happens, you spend every second of each subsequent loop yelling NO DONT ADJUST THAT GET THE gently caress OUT until he's safe again.

The look on his face afterwards, my god.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

ChesterJT posted:

until he's safe again.

just think how many days, months, years that poo poo has been operating with no brakes. People going in and out, standing in the doorway with one foot in the lift. All the while the only thing that kept them from death & dismemberment was a single fraying, ageing cable that probably hadn't been replaced since the place was built.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

frumpykvetchbot posted:

A new OSHA classic is born. That elevator cuts straight from apparently solid to freefall. How many safety systems had to fail to get to that point?

the question is not "how many safety systems failed" so much as "how many were never designed into the system in the first place."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bro almost got sliced in half the long way.

gently caress

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

You can jack an entire house if you want to enough.

Hell, you can [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago[/url]jack an entire city[/url]

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I believe you mean raze an entire city. :smug:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Route 1 is gross.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://youtu.be/SMYSPG_JQn0

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

(One of) the interesting things about this is that you absolutely can't see where they're landing, so as far as I know they might actually be dropping them straight down the lift shaft.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

i like how they start removing their hats and throwing them, in a show of respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/sXodXJc.mp4