Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's about 20 adds per deck, and it takes 2 decks to get to the next island. Who knows how many for the next. So its 40 adds in a row to proceed, plus an add before every run. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Wow, not gonna continue then.

I'd respect it more of it were a hard paywall

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

There is plenty of games I love that crap like that would stop me from enjoying them

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I did end up paying the $10 since I had a bunch of Google bucks. It's pretty fun.

The next island opens up new characters and pets but it seems the same. I just unlocked the third island and drat it's tough.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I also paid the 10 bucks and finished the game in a little over 3 hours. Previous poster is right in that the game stays largely the same throughout. There are 5 main dungeons and a few side-dungeons. Once you finish the game there's a NG+ option where you reset all your progress except for the artifacts you've gathered, and you can choose to play NG+ in hard mode, but I don't feel like the main gameplay loop was compelling enough to warrant it. You can unlock a bunch of combat skills but to be honest none of them really stack up to just juicing your basic attack as much as you can. All in all pretty disappointing for a 10 dollar purchase.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
I really like the way The Way Home plays, but yeah you need to do a lot of waiting for resource nodes to finish mining and the meta progession feels necessary and slow.

Are there other games that play like this, with auto shooting and one hand controls? I'm pretty new to phone gaming so I don't know if this is a one off or a genre.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

I also paid the 10 bucks and finished the game in a little over 3 hours. Previous poster is right in that the game stays largely the same throughout. There are 5 main dungeons and a few side-dungeons. Once you finish the game there's a NG+ option where you reset all your progress except for the artifacts you've gathered, and you can choose to play NG+ in hard mode, but I don't feel like the main gameplay loop was compelling enough to warrant it. You can unlock a bunch of combat skills but to be honest none of them really stack up to just juicing your basic attack as much as you can. All in all pretty disappointing for a 10 dollar purchase.

I'm getting the same vibe. Although I do find putting one point into the random nukes to be fun. Just have meteors, ice blocks and lighting bolts slam groups while you're kiting is great.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

eonblue174 posted:

I really like the way The Way Home plays, but yeah you need to do a lot of waiting for resource nodes to finish mining and the meta progession feels necessary and slow.

Are there other games that play like this, with auto shooting and one hand controls? I'm pretty new to phone gaming so I don't know if this is a one off or a genre.

There's Archero. I'm sure there's many other clones (hell, Archero might have even been one in the first place, who knows with mobile gaming)

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The ad mechanism for The Way Home is just obnoxious. Just let me play the ads and keep going. I wonder if putting in a delay mechanism (clicking leafs) is required as part of the ad monetization. Either way, I can't be arsed to watch all those ads and I'm not going to pay 13 bucks + tax for it. Too bad, since it's a fun little game. Just not 15 bucks fun.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Lone Goat posted:

There's Archero. I'm sure there's many other clones (hell, Archero might have even been one in the first place, who knows with mobile gaming)

Archero fell down the monetization hole real bad, last I saw. If you want something similar but less intrusive, Wizard Legend is pretty cute.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Super Auto Pets continues to own.

Snakes and flies are both so goddamned strong, the tiger cub and reviving mammoth almost weren't necessary.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Thank you for the recommendations! Archero and Wizard Legend are interesting, but I like the adventure feel of the way home better than them. Seems like there's a fun game to be made using these mechanics but the free to play elements stand in the way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

drat horror queefs posted:

Super Auto Pets continues to own.

Snakes and flies are both so goddamned strong, the tiger cub and reviving mammoth almost weren't necessary.

You were one turkey away from possibly the most obnoxious meta build. Congrats.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been playing The Bonfire 2 lately, it's a pretty fun little survival town builder thing. You can get 10 days in without paying or watching any ads but then you start getting bombarded with them unless you pay $5. I'm not sure how much content there is but I happily paid $5 when prompted because it's been pretty fun so far.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Paladinus posted:

You were one turkey away from possibly the most obnoxious meta build. Congrats.

Ty

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Re The Way Home thanks for the tip. I shelled and have been happy but cant find boss key c (beta). For the Ice Cave. Any pointers?

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Nm found it. You have to enter the path not just click the sign... :rolleyes:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Anyone playing Cookie Run: Kingdom? It's a party-based with real time combat that has ability cooldowns and such. It's F2P, gacha for the characters and cosmetics, but despite having a million things and packages to purchase, doesn't feel too hamstrung if you go without. I've been playing for a couple days (after seeing it on Polygon's GOTY list, of all places) and have been enjoying it - has a pretty fun loop of doing a bunch of construction and resource production in your kingdom, then progressing through the story map while you wait for it to finish. Good production as far as I can tell, nice art and we'll put together.

Jul 20, 2006
The creator of the absolutely dope Space RPG 3 stealth dropped Space RPG 4 over Christmas.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esaptonor.spacerpg4

For the uninitiated it's a great top down space sim with trading and combat. There are lots of ship and outfitting options, and an interesting end game where you can found your own in-game faction.

For those familiar with Space RPG 3, there are new exploration mechanics, new outfitting options and a new story with three different factions you can join.

No IAPs or anything. The developer is very active and plans to build more end game content in once he's done squashing bugs.

64057 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 5, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sounds rad, thanks for the heads up :cheers:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

64057 posted:

The creator of the absolutely dope Space RPG 3 stealth dropped Space RPG 4 over Christmas.

For the uninitiated it's a great top down space sim with trading and combat. There are lots of ship and outfitting options, and an interesting end game where you can found your own in-game faction.

For those familiar with Space RPG 3, there are new exploration mechanics, new outfitting options and a new story with three different factions you can join.

No IAPs or anything. The developer is very active and plans to build more end game content in once he's done squashing bugs.

Getting strong Escape Velocity nostalgia vibes from the screenshots. I'll have to add it to my wishlist. Thanks!

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
I had £11 on my survey funbuxx and SPACERPG 4 looked right up my street, and the price was right. Cheers!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just found Unciv on Android, it's a pretty decent Civ V clone from what I see so far. Anyone else played it or have mod recommendations?

Jul 20, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

Just found Unciv on Android, it's a pretty decent Civ V clone from what I see so far. Anyone else played it or have mod recommendations?

UnCiv is absolutely incredible. It runs like a dream and has virtually all of the features of Civ 5 up to and including the God & King's expansion. The Devs are working on adding all the Brave New World features in the future.

I actually think the lo-fi graphics and interface look great, and work better than most attempts to jam 3D strategy interfaces into an Android game. It really well touch optimised and there's even a portrait option under advanced settings that works well. It's a lot better than the official Civ 6 port.

UnCiv's secret weapon is it has full blown online multiplayer. I've played games with friends that have lasted months. Even the official Civ 6 port for Android doesn't have working online multiplayer.

I've sampled some of the mods for UnCiv but haven't found any really worth the time yet. I think given time there will be some great ones. There are already lots that add new civs or civs that the devs haven't implemented yet. I think custom maps are now handled as mods so I've been meaning to see if there are any good ones. There are also some slightly janky but interesting total conversions, like the DeCiv post-apocalypse mod.

Link here, it's updated all the time and Devs are pretty receptive: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unciv.app

64057 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 9, 2022

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Out of curiosity, how is this legal if they are just making an exact replica of Civ V? Or did they somehow manage to get permission?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Game mechanics aren't protected by copyright, patent or trademark.
You can make an exact replica of any game you like as long as you don't copy the writing, art, or level design.
For example look at OpenMW, a 100% replication of the Morrowind engine, and it's 100% legal.
But they don't distribute any game assets with it -- you have to grab those from an existing legally-obtained copy of morrowind to use them with OpenMW if you want to actually play the game.

Jul 20, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Game mechanics aren't protected by copyright, patent or trademark.
You can make an exact replica of any game you like as long as you don't copy the writing, art, or level design.
For example look at OpenMW, a 100% replication of the Morrowind engine, and it's 100% legal.
But they don't distribute any game assets with it -- you have to grab those from an existing legally-obtained copy of morrowind to use them with OpenMW if you want to actually play the game.

Yeah - the FAQ on the UnCiv GitHub makes essentially this argument:

https://github.com/yairm210/Unciv#arent-you-basically-making-a-civ-v-clone-is-that-even-legal

I worry that Firaxis will target them at some point regardless, but for the time being UnCiv is awesome and it is free!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

But didn't Namco patent playing games during loading screens? Isn't that kind of a mechanic? Or is that patent vs copyright?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That patent expired in the past few years

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

64057 posted:

Gave this a try, and I am enjoying it quite a bit.

(just reached the point where opposing factions are Extremely Hostile on certain planets. Remind me not to take cargo-dropoff missions to those.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That patent expired in the past few years

Right, but that wasn't my point; Namco did a game thing and no one else could copy it, despite the content being different.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Right, but that wasn't my point; Namco did a game thing and no one else could copy it, despite the content being different.

That's kind of an exception that proves the rule though. Firaxis would have to patent a specific technology or game mechanic totally unique to civ 6, they can't just get a patent on the whole game. Anything unique enough to be patented could just be dropped by the open source devs, and tbh there isn't exactly much unique about civ games these days.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

they might be able to take issue with how the games settings are just called "civ 5" and "civ 5 gods and kigs"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Steam thread got to talking about Vampire Survival and someone mentioned there's a very good rip-off similar game on Android (that possibly inspired it?) called Magic Survival and holy poo poo, I'm hooked, Andy, I'm hooked!!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 11, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I played a bunch last night because it was recommended, it is a very good mobile version of that. I do miss the castlevania sprites though :(

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

The Steam thread got to talking about Vampire Survival and someone mentioned there's a very good rip-off on Android called Magic Survival and holy poo poo, I'm hooked, Andy, I'm hooked!!

Ripoff!? Magic survival is 2 years old.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 11, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Ripoff!? Magic survival is 2 years old.

Ok, sorry, I know nothing of any of these games. I haven't played Vampire Survival at all, so I had no idea. Fixed my post.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Ok, sorry, I know nothing of any of these games. I haven't played Vampire Survival at all, so I had no idea. Fixed my post.

I've been playing it for a long time and I want to see the dev and their weird post-magical-apocalyptic-nightmare game get the credit they deserve. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I've been playing it for a long time and I want to see the dev and their weird post-magical-apocalyptic-nightmare game get the credit they deserve. :colbert:

I didn't take offense or anything, as I feel the same way. :shobon::respek::shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

The Steam thread got to talking about Vampire Survival and someone mentioned there's a very good rip-off similar game on Android (that possibly inspired it?) called Magic Survival and holy poo poo, I'm hooked, Andy, I'm hooked!!

this is fun, thanks for the rec! I keep getting owned by combining two max level skills into one that is worse, I should really read them better