Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Szyznyk posted:

I’m afraid they’re fake only to the point where, with an easily acquired part, they become real guns and it’s a dodge for felons.

Easy Riders really gives off an anarcho-fascism vibe where the bikers don't want anyone telling them what to do but they're sure as hell going to rape women and murder certain minorities just for existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Yaldabaoth posted:

Easy Riders really gives off an anarcho-fascism vibe where the bikers don't want anyone telling them what to do but they're sure as hell going to rape women and murder certain minorities just for existing.

You are pretty much correct, but also thinking about this far more than any outlaw biker ever has.

Somewhat related, I just posted that OSHA cartoon in the LOL at Trump thread:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This was just posted in the old magazine thread:

It's originally from the April 1978 issue of Easyriders, in case you're curious.

It's fuckin' hilarious to me that so many bikers talk big about being rebels, but they are utterly servile and submissive to authoritarian strongmen (especially if they also dislike black people).

Crippling Daddy Issues, comin' at you on two wheels!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Gutter Phoenix posted:

You are pretty much correct, but also thinking about this far more than any outlaw biker ever has.

To clarify my last point, I was referring to all the nazi paraphernalia.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Yaldabaoth posted:

To clarify my last point, I was referring to all the nazi paraphernalia.

My point is that Easyriders catered to a group of dumb motherfuckers who just wanted to get drunk, do drugs, gently caress ol' ladies, and ride their motorcycles. Preferably all at the same time. With a lifestyle like that, there is no time to pay attention to politics.

Obviously they were dummies if they claimed to be outlaw rebels while simultaneously worshipping fascist dictators.

There were a lot of edgelords who wore swastikas and other nazi paraphernalia for shock value during the 60's, 70's, and 80's. That doesn't happen anymore, because mainstream culture finally deemed it as unacceptable to do so. It takes a looooong time for society to change and modernize.

In any case, the shock-value-nazis were/are just dumb idiots who don't know anything about anything. I would classify most of the vintage Easyriders nazis as that type.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Outlaw Bikers For Reagan ‘80

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Gutter Phoenix posted:

thinking about this far more than any outlaw biker ever has.

Talking to my dad who rode a lot I asked him about the prevelance of the really dirt bag aspects of it. He summed it up as the majority of guys just wanted to ride and party and initially subset portions with other motivations/ideologies like the WP and criminal MCs tended to play up the pageantry and claim an outsized share of the spotlight. Presenting a big and scary identity is profitable and appeals to some people, which I would guess ER was keen to capitalize on and encourage it to self perpetuate.

Whether that's rose colored glasses or a reasonable take on it I couldn't say. Where I think he might have a bit of a point is if you go back before the 70's (and really even earlier than the mid 60's) and look at where biker culture evolved from. This isn't to say that just because something's current particular form grew out of something different makes the current iteration less reprehensible.

I kind of think of it like the punk and metal scenes that started to have WP factions develop. If there is overwhelming agreement that people don't want to see this stuff I'm fine with that and won't post it, but I'm also a little hesitant to post only stuff that isn't disagreeable, which I think would feel like sanitizing and misrepresenting the content of the magazines by omitting the stuff that is inarguably dogshit.

I hope that comes across in a way that makes sense. I'm not posting because "wow these guys look cool!" I just ran across a free collection of these, found them pretty wild, and figured they would fit the thread.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

AKZ posted:

Talking to my dad who rode a lot I asked him about the prevelance of the really dirt bag aspects of it. He summed it up as the majority of guys just wanted to ride and party and initially subset portions with other motivations/ideologies like the WP and criminal MCs tended to play up the pageantry and claim an outsized share of the spotlight. Presenting a big and scary identity is profitable and appeals to some people, which I would guess ER was keen to capitalize on and encourage it to self perpetuate.

Whether that's rose colored glasses or a reasonable take on it I couldn't say. Where I think he might have a bit of a point is if you go back before the 70's (and really even earlier than the mid 60's) and look at where biker culture evolved from. This isn't to say that just because something's current particular form grew out of something different makes the current iteration less reprehensible.

I kind of think of it like the punk and metal scenes that started to have WP factions develop. If there is overwhelming agreement that people don't want to see this stuff I'm fine with that and won't post it, but I'm also a little hesitant to post only stuff that isn't disagreeable, which I think would feel like sanitizing and misrepresenting the content of the magazines by omitting the stuff that is inarguably dogshit.

I hope that comes across in a way that makes sense. I'm not posting because "wow these guys look cool!" I just ran across a free collection of these, found them pretty wild, and figured they would fit the thread.

Your dad knows better than all of us!

No, please keep posting these. That's what the thread is for. The weird racist poo poo in old magazines is just one of the reasons they're so interesting to look at. Magazines are time capsules, and offer an insider's sense of culture better than history books do. They're more personal and specific, and focused on mundane daily life. That's the stuff historians neglect.

I think this stuff is fascinating, but I'm also a weirdo, and don't get offended by anything.

Edit:
Man, I wish I could find a free collection of vintage Easyriders.

A few years ago, my wife and I were walking back to our apartment and I saw a fuckin' HUGE box of old issues of Low Rider sitting out at the curb to be recyled. I wanted to go back with the car and get them, but she told me that I had already brought too much crap into the apartment, and asked me to refrain from filling the kitchen with issues of Low Rider.

I didn't (and don't) have the space, but I still have regrets about that...

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 12, 2022

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I realize that I probably repeated the disclaimer from a few pages back on the content, but I think it pays to consider and be critical of what you're putting out there. I can see someone coming into the thread and seeing the ER pics and being like "What the gently caress is going on in here?!"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Szyznyk posted:

Outlaw Bikers For Reagan ‘80

Lyndon Larouche 2024!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Lyndon Larouche 2024!

He was Q before Q was coo.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I'm thinking of my dad explaining the confederate flag showing up everywhere in '60s and '70s stuff, as "yeah, so there was a movement to reclaim the flag as like an attitude thing, but it turns out the people who wanted it back the most were the racists"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

AKZ posted:

I realize that I probably repeated the disclaimer from a few pages back on the content, but I think it pays to consider and be critical of what you're putting out there. I can see someone coming into the thread and seeing the ER pics and being like "What the gently caress is going on in here?!"

Yeah, people probably think I'm a weirdo based on the stuff I collect/ post, but I don't give a gently caress. I think most other people are boring. My uncle Jim called me a weirdo when I was 6*. If people wanna call me that, I'll just embrace it.

Call me whatever you want, just don't call me late for dinner!

*Pronounced "Woodo," because I'm missing the end of my tongue. I had to take speech classes as a kid to learn how to speak correctly without it. Now no one believes me until I show them!
I have no idea what happened, and neither do my parents, so I suspect I gnawed it off in the womb. If so, I'm very angry at my fetus-self.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
If this is the start of a Junji Ito comic then I fully expect the turtles to drive people insane to the point where they start murdering each other while chanting praises to nightmare gods.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

AKZ posted:

I'm fine with it, I'm just mocking the bikers' double standards where applicable.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

If this is the start of a Junji Ito comic then I fully expect the turtles to drive people insane to the point where they start murdering each other while chanting praises to nightmare gods.

It's from this:

https://lastgasp.gumroad.com/l/HeavensDoor?mc_cid=f3ceb035cf&mc_eid=cc90bebca2

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

AKZ posted:

I was posting this elsewhere, so I'm adding it here because it is interesting. Obviously, I am not suggesting anyone should follow Superman's advice. He's an rear end hole.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

I'm fine with it, I'm just mocking the bikers' double standards where applicable.

:respek:

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

No cover again

nsfw

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That last one should be a mods AV by end of day.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

That looks even more hosed up.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

LOL!!!

I love Easyriders.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I initially perceived that the guy in back was holding up a sign!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I found one of these on the street 10-20 years ago. I might still have it somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Trabant posted:

Blessed be Waltpaper

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Sometimes I miss the golden age of lovely 90's daytime talk shows. The Jenny Jones Show was great because they always gave the punk/goth/stoner kids makeovers which made them look even more ridiculous than they already did!

Everyone has colored hair now, but that was considered shocking in some places in the 90's.
I remember some redneck talking poo poo to me at a Bay Area 7-11 because I had green hair (briefly).

American culture has become a lot more accepting towards freaks and weirdos since I was a kid, and that's a good thing.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 13, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
more than the talk shows I miss Talk Soup

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Sometimes I miss the golden age of lovely 90's daytime talk shows. The Jenny Jones Show was great because they always gave the punk/goth/stoner kids makeovers which made them look even more ridiculous than they already did!

Everyone has colored hair now, but that was considered shocking in some places in the 90's.
I remember some redneck talking poo poo to me at a Bay Area 7-11 because I had green hair (briefly).

American culture has become a lot more accepting towards freaks and weirdos since I was a kid, and that's a good thing.

I had half-bleached hair (down the center) and later a Mohawk in SF around 1981-1986 and even then I was getting poo poo. My favorite experience at that time was when a little old lady saw that I had a pin with Reagan on it and she smiled and said “Oh what does that say?” And she leaned in and saw it said “Scary Monster Super Creep” she scowled and told me I should be arrested for saying that about the president lol

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I never watched that.

I remember that the USA network had a show called "USA Live" where they showed episodes of The People's Court and Love Connection, bookended by two hosts and two baristas hanging out in a fake New York City coffee shop. Ed Koch was a frequent guest, as was Doug Llewelyn. Also, people could call in, since it was live.

There was one episode where someone called in because they'd seen one of the baristas on an episode of Sally Jesse Raphael or Jerry Springer (obviously as an actor), and asked about the drama, and the barista got all flustered, and I never saw her on the show again. LOL!!!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I had half-bleached hair (down the center) and later a Mohawk in SF around 1981-1986 and even then I was getting poo poo. My favorite experience at that time was when a little old lady saw that I had a pin with Reagan on it and she smiled and said “Oh what does that say?” And she leaned in and saw it said “Scary Monster Super Creep” she scowled and told me I should be arrested for saying that about the president lol

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

That's awesome!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo, yep that’s it

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

It’s time for you commies to watch the Morning in America campaign ad again and show respect to Rappin’ Ronnie for saving this country.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So many of these have "last known photo vibes"

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I have loved GWAR since I discovered "Scumdogs of the Universe" at the age of 14. I always wanted to see them, but I was a broke-rear end teenager, so I couldn't afford to go to many big club shows. It's a god drat shame.

I always meant to see them at some point, but it just never worked out. And then Dave Brockie died.

They still put on a good show, so I might go check them out with Blothar singing. I don't really go to shows anymore, but I would make an exception for that, or Body Count, or The Meatmen, or Naked Raygun.

I can't believe I've never seen GWAR, because I have gone to a metric shitload of concerts during my life (which is why I don't feel the need to go too often anymore).

Anyway, I was a big fan of the "Phallus in Wonderland" movie when I was 15, so those cards are pleasant reminders of that stupid period in the dumb 90's.

I grew up in Central VA, and with them being from Richmond, I got to see them. Quite the spectacle, especially in those days with the original-ish lineup, etc. Got to see some interesting opening bands for GWAR in those days, like Buzz*oven and Flipper.

I used to watch the Live From Antarctica VHS tape and Beefcake just kills it at the end on Cool Place to Park

On thread topic, when I see these pictures, I wonder if any of these vendors of nefarious jewelry, clothing and literature are still around.

RideHigh Enterprises
PO Box 100 5th Avenue
Prostate, OH

etc

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013