Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Babby's first chips with a hand plane. Goddamn, why have I never used one of these before? I got this at auction last week and with a quick clean up, it was ready to go. Super smooth, easy to adjust, just a nice piece of equipment.

(Yes, the wood is garbage. But it'll serve fine as a workbench base. Plus, I have a literal ton of it. My wife works at the state's DNR and the forestry experts say that it's possibly basswood, cottonwood, or for our area specifically, buckeye.)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I need to build out(in?) the sides of a existing oak cabinet so I install some sliding shelves(that I am making). The existing sides are only 1/2” thick, I am paranoid to put screws into it because the outside is finished and exposed. Do I just slap up a piece of plywood with glue then use some scraps exert horizontal pressure till it dries? Is that any better or worse than just build a box inside the cabinet and using rabbits to hold everything in place? The box seems like over kill to me.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

meatpimp posted:

Babby's first chips with a hand plane. Goddamn, why have I never used one of these before? I got this at auction last week and with a quick clean up, it was ready to go. Super smooth, easy to adjust, just a nice piece of equipment.

(Yes, the wood is garbage. But it'll serve fine as a workbench base. Plus, I have a literal ton of it. My wife works at the state's DNR and the forestry experts say that it's possibly basswood, cottonwood, or for our area specifically, buckeye.)

Looks like poplar to me. I think that's the same as cottonwood, basically a pest species, so good riddance and good usage. Buckeye is Ohio?> Your wife works with the state DNR- I assume Dept. Natural Resources not Do Not Resuscitate?
Dude, are you the guy itt living the woodbutcher's dream? Methinks so.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Cottonwood is definitely in the poplar genus, we have loads of it around here and it's non-native. They had a ton of slabs at the sawmill but they're pretty soft so I passed.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Poplar can have some really neat mineral green coloring in what I think is the heartwood, I've made some cool looking pieces with it. Takes stain pretty well too.
Mostly use it for box bottoms though, feels like a step up from plywood and I can control the thickness.

I do have a planer question though. I have a craftsman lunchbox planer and it does the job pretty well but I have noticed a few quirks now that it's a good year into its life.
The first is that the rollers seem to slip or jostle the board going through it? Like, the board will shift a bit as though it's being pulled through unevenly and the blades will gouge a bit. Interestingly enough, if I stabilize the board side-to-side as I feed it into the planer this doesn't happen. What's going on here, and what part to I need to disassemble and clean?

The second is that I did take off the shroud and removed the blades recently to clean everything up and lubricate what needs lubricating. Visually inspecting the blades looks like they're in good condition, but I've started to see some tiny ridging along the boards as they go through. I'm guessing that the blades are getting worn enough to have little chips or something in them that are big enough to affect the cut but small enough I can't see them with the naked eye. They're double sided so I'll go flip them and see if that helps.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm concerned that I might have gotten some lubricant on the motor drive belt and that may be causing some slipping. If that's the case I may just have to wait for it to wear off and be more careful in the future about overspray.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

El Spamo posted:

Poplar can have some really neat mineral green coloring in what I think is the heartwood, I've made some cool looking pieces with it. Takes stain pretty well too.
Mostly use it for box bottoms though, feels like a step up from plywood and I can control the thickness.
I've definitely seen some gray/green color in some of the pieces. It's a shame, because it's all 10/4x 8" x 8' boards and I can tell I'm going to get spoiled with that volume of wood. I can do so many things with that thick chunky stuff.

quote:

I do have a planer question though. I have a craftsman lunchbox planer and it does the job pretty well but I have noticed a few quirks now that it's a good year into its life.
The first is that the rollers seem to slip or jostle the board going through it? Like, the board will shift a bit as though it's being pulled through unevenly and the blades will gouge a bit. Interestingly enough, if I stabilize the board side-to-side as I feed it into the planer this doesn't happen. What's going on here, and what part to I need to disassemble and clean?
Sounds like you may be describing snipe? I can have that with my DeWalt lunchbox if I don't support the piece even before and after the feed tables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcOUKAxrTy0

quote:

The second is that I did take off the shroud and removed the blades recently to clean everything up and lubricate what needs lubricating. Visually inspecting the blades looks like they're in good condition, but I've started to see some tiny ridging along the boards as they go through. I'm guessing that the blades are getting worn enough to have little chips or something in them that are big enough to affect the cut but small enough I can't see them with the naked eye. They're double sided so I'll go flip them and see if that helps.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm concerned that I might have gotten some lubricant on the motor drive belt and that may be causing some slipping. If that's the case I may just have to wait for it to wear off and be more careful in the future about overspray.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. The mechanicals of a planer are not going to slip out of operating orientation with a bit of lubrication.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Looks like poplar to me. I think that's the same as cottonwood, basically a pest species, so good riddance and good usage. Buckeye is Ohio?> Your wife works with the state DNR- I assume Dept. Natural Resources not Do Not Resuscitate?
Dude, are you the guy itt living the woodbutcher's dream? Methinks so.

Don't dox me, just trying to live the dream. :D

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

meatpimp posted:

Sounds like you may be describing snipe? I can have that with my DeWalt lunchbox if I don't support the piece even before and after the feed tables.
I'm familiar with snipe, this seems to be happening before that usual tip/tail snipe location. Usually not in the middle of the board, but seems to happen most commonly near the end of the piece but not at the end where snipe usually occurs.
Like I said, supporting the piece helps a lot so it may be a snipe-like thing? Watching the video, I might try tuning my in/outfeed tables and make sure there isn't an unwanted slope somewhere.

quote:

I wouldn't worry about that too much. The mechanicals of a planer are not going to slip out of operating orientation with a bit of lubrication.
Phew!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

poplar's usually got a kinda smoky green pattern toward the heart, but if you get some weird minerals in the ground it's not limited to just green!

unfortunately the color tends to fade after a year or two, but it's good stuff in any application that doesn't require a super tough surface

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I use poplar all the time when I'm trying out a new technique or want to make a prototype of something.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
I've found it excellent for shelves or small cabinets that will be painted and not see too much abuse. Light but fairly rigid, dead easy to work with hand tools. It's kinda creamy but also sometimes green, it's a very weird wood to actually look at.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Poplar grows fast, is grown in large plantations, is inexpensive, is easy to work, is mostly straight-grained, and is widely available in the US. It's a very common go-to wood for construction where pine isn't appropriate, such as for built-in shelves - it will take paint even while still a little wet and won't leak sap/resin for years from a knot, for example. If I am gonna make something quick & dirty and I don't want to use plywood or 2x4s, poplar is my first default choice.

When I took a woodworking class, the instructor had us all go buy poplar, so we could focus on the joinery and techniques being taught instead of having random students fighting with the idiosyncrasies of various other wood species, and also just to save us all some money. I think that was a good choice.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

El Spamo posted:

It does sound like your blades might be getting dull. Try waxing the beds first with some paste wax, if that doesn't solve your issues, change or sharper your blades.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Olothreutes posted:

Cottonwood is definitely in the poplar genus, we have loads of it around here and it's non-native. They had a ton of slabs at the sawmill but they're pretty soft so I passed.

Hello and welcome to common names for wood don't line up with botany, episode 42069. You are right, but the green 'poplar' everyone else is talking about is completely different and unrelated!

The wood commonly sold as 'poplar' (AKA, yellow poplar, tulip poplar)in the US and tulip or tulipwood (not to be confused with the pink and yellow member of the Rosewood family also called tulipwood) in the UK, is not actually a poplar, it is Liriodendron tulipfera and it is in the Magnolia family. In fact, quite alot of wood you buy as 'tulip poplar' is not Liriodendron tulipfera at all, but various other members of the magnolia family common to the eastern US, especially cucumber magnolia, Magnolia acuminata. It doesn't really matter because the wood is very very similar, and they have in common the traits that make poplar such a nice wood to work with-big, straight trees with limbs mostly at the top and a nice, straight grain and soft but not too soft wood. It's a great wood to work, especially by hand, but it doesn't look like much. Sometimes I get poplar that is much harder than normal or much softer than normal, and I suspect that is because it is from some magnolia or other, and not tulip poplar (but it also could be variations in growing conditions, tree genetics, etc)

Now, Cottonwood (Populus deltoides) is in the poplar genus, which is actually closely related to willows. Other trees that are actually poplars are European poplars (those tall straight skinny trees in europe), aspens, and cottonwoods. I think in Europe the wood commonly called 'poplar' is in fact european/lombardy poplar, Populus nigra, but in the US most botanical poplars are not sold as poplar, they are sold as aspen or cottonwood or whatever. They're mostly pretty weak, soft woods.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What's worse, industry wood species naming, or finishing products naming?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Marketing departments.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Speaking of, confirmed that Minwax "Tung Oil Finish" is basically the same as Watco Danish Oil. I might have detected a little difference in odor and viscosity, but zero difference visually.

e: Yeah, I know I could mix my own for cheaper but I'm also out of oil based poly and I'm not particularly inclined to buy more unless I really have to.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Finish naming, by quite a distance. With wood you can usually figure out what it is, and there aren't that many species sold commercially anyway. Say tulipwood (Liriodendron tulipifera) and tulipwood (Dalbergia frutensis) may have the same name, but even a blind man can tell them apart. "Soft" maple is a vague name that encompasses basically all North American maple species that aren't Sugar maple, but they're similar enough that it doesn't matter overly much. Or the red oak and white oak groups. It doesn't even have to be deliberate, telling say Euro oak (Q. robur) and sessile oak (Q. petrea) apart is hard (not least because they're slutty slutty trees that readily hybridize), and they produce similar enough that you're going to see more variation depending on growing conditions etc. anyway.

Finish on the other hand? Unless you have access to some serious equipment you're not going to find out what's actually in there, and the manufacturer sure isn't going to tell you. Tung oil that doesn't have a drop of tung oil in it. "Danish" oil that's a complete crapshoot from brand to brand. Water-based finish that only mentions it has low odor, but not whether it's an acrylic or poly-urethane, or whatever. All the mystery "food-safe" finishes that don't even hint on what's in there.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

My only screw up so far involved a sharpie so I am pretty happy. I am expecting that I would putting a new piece of plywood on top.

Dados look super cool in this hardwood core plywood.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Table done, so what

(Waiting on imgur to get off it's rear end and upload)

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 12, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

That’s pretty, great color. I like beveled edge it’s nice touch.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Calidus posted:

That’s pretty, great color. I like beveled edge it’s nice touch.

I matched the angle on the bevel to the strike angle of the chair backs. That way I'm not doing as much damage if I push the chairs in.

vvvvv :3:

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 12, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Table done, so what

That's delicious. You're not supposed to eat a table, but that looks awesome enough to slice up and stick a birthday candle on it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Table done, so what

What species of wood did you use and what stain/finishes? That looks absolutely gorgeous!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Table done, so what

That looks fantastic! I like that you color coordinate your rooms and outdoor power equipment too.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
My house is a loving wreck, I'll be the first to admit it.

I'm not a naturally organized person.

Legs - 3 layers of Tried and True Danish Oil and 3 layers of General Finish Oil-based Poly

Top - 6 layers of Tried and True Danish Oil and 4 layers of General Finish Oil-based Poly

Sanding 400 in between coats (800 on the top for the last one too)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cannon_Fodder posted:

No shade intended I actually really like the color! Did you consciously pick 'Makita blue' or was that just a happy accident?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Legs - 3 layers of Tried and True Danish Oil and 3 layers of General Finish Oil-based Poly

Top - 6 layers of Tried and True Danish Oil and 4 layers of General Finish Oil-based Poly

Sanding 400 in between coats (800 on the top for the last one too)

No way, screw that. Your house looks like someone lives there. No one is naturally organized, it's something you learn, and you really only need to learn as much as you need.

I do like the wall color choice too. I think I have that carpet pattern. In other words, you have good taste.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Table done, so what

Table good, so what.

My gf would like to know what that paint color is.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Kaiser, the color showed up about 3 years before the tools did. I bought'em, murderized my lawn with them, then left them by the back window to remind the plants to watch their rear end.

I'll check with the boss on the exact color.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Table done, so what

Blue walls own.

Cleanliness is a construct.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ah, Kobalt Blue.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

As a kid-haver, your houses are nice and clean thank you. If you both have small kids I'm extremely impressed.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hello and welcome to common names for wood don't line up with botany, episode 42069. You are right, but the green 'poplar' everyone else is talking about is completely different and unrelated!

Ugh, the wood industry :argh:! This is neat stuff, thank you for sharing. I know biology some but definitely not the oddities of the lumber world.

E: I wonder if I could convince my spouse to let me paint the house Cherenkov blue...

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 12, 2022

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Wasabi the J posted:

Blue walls own.

Cleanliness is a construct.

I love that room. From the wall color to the spank roll on the table.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And now for something completely different:
I've recently started shooting blackpowder guns (muzzle loaders) and was inspired by the 17th century style European gunpowder flasks to make my own:

Traditionally, these were heavily decorated/carved, a skill I have yet to learn, but I will be making a few more blanks to practice on...but these still ended up looking pretty neat without it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I tried doing a decorative carving on some cherry yesterday and the poo poo fragmented and flaked all over the poo poo :mad:

Still going to use the napkin holder I made even though I hosed up like 3 things on it including the carving.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Slugworth posted:

Table good, so what.

My gf would like to know what that paint color is.

https://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/490B-6

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

CommonShore posted:

I tried doing a decorative carving on some cherry yesterday and the poo poo fragmented and flaked all over the poo poo :mad:

Still going to use the napkin holder I made even though I hosed up like 3 things on it including the carving.

I got a chip carving book for christmas, and I've tried out a bit on cherry.
So far I've learned that it's really hard compared to basswood so your knife needs to be SUPER sharp and take small bites. Big cuts have all chipped out on me, but if I spend time to make a small chip and expand it out it'll come out ok.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I love this thread.

Absolutely love it.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

El Spamo posted:

I got a chip carving book for christmas, and I've tried out a bit on cherry.
So far I've learned that it's really hard compared to basswood so your knife needs to be SUPER sharp and take small bites. Big cuts have all chipped out on me, but if I spend time to make a small chip and expand it out it'll come out ok.

I always used basswood for chip carving. If you have an old belt make a strop and some polishing compound. Stropping every few minutes will really help with clean consistent cuts.

Also use an iron to transfer patterns onto wood, it saves hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And now for something completely different:
I've recently started shooting blackpowder guns (muzzle loaders) and was inspired by the 17th century style European gunpowder flasks to make my own:

Traditionally, these were heavily decorated/carved, a skill I have yet to learn, but I will be making a few more blanks to practice on...but these still ended up looking pretty neat without it.

These are really cool what's the process for making them like? Hollow out two boards and glue them back together?

CommonShore posted:

Cherry is just okay imo for a carving wood. It tends to have a decent bit of funky grain that is prone to tear out, and it's a little hard. Even texture is 80% of what makes a good carving wood, and cherry tends to have a bit softer grain on the growth rings which tends to crush instead of cut cleanly. Basswood is great, poplar is good if it's dense and not stringy, walnut is great. Maple is okay if the grain is real straight, but it's hard as heck.