Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
His reward is Looooooore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Well it’s done. I’ve finally cleared out the 3 DLCs (after previously completing the main game). I think Shulva is my favorite, followed by Brume Tower, and then Eleum Loyce. Loyce would be higher and I like the snowy environment more than Brume Tower, but I didn’t find the whole gimmick of having to go through everything twice to be particularly interesting. Some new areas open up, but other than that not much changes when the blizzard does down other than the retainers waking up (they don’t seem to be much of a threat though). I also didn’t like how much of a damage sponge the enemies are compared to the other DLCs. Also Ava isn’t a very interesting fight, but the Ivory King fight more than made up for it. Holy hell is that sequence cool. I freed all the knights and brought it 3 summons so it was amazing dropping in with a group of 8!

Overall I really like DS2. I think the back half is better than the first, though the first is pretty good as well. Which is better than DS1 where the second half of the main game is notably worse than the first. In both games the DLC has the best content. I think I would actually like DS2 more than DS1 if it removed about 20-30% of the enemies and dumped the surprise clown car monster closets.

Now onward to DS3!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pulcinella posted:

Aldia’s Estate was pretty cool and disappointing at the same time. It felt like a Souls version of a Resident Evil mansion, which was cool. Does the Bone Dragon attack you as soon as you enter in the non-SOTFS version? It seems silly that you have to light four torches and then back track to the entrance to see it. Also wish it was even more mansion like. Was disappointed that the back half is just literally a long hallway.

I think Aldia's was a proof-of-concept area made early in development where they tried out a bunch of mechanics that only saw spotty use in the rest of the game. I know the bit with the ogre crashing through the door was one of the earliest things shown to the public.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Been replaying the series in release order lately, working through DS3 now and DS2 so far is pretty handily my favorite of the games. Hopefully I cN get the platinum eventually, after enough NG+ runs.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Return to Drangleic 2022 starts next week

[

See you in the poison swamp.... Skeleton

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

RealityWarCriminal posted:

[

This was super fun last year. It gave me the momentum I needed to go through all the DLC for the first time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Really not sure what build to go for this time around.

Also not sure if I should play on PC or PS4.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

[

ah sweet, this will be a good opportunity to do a test run for the Jesus character I want to build ahead of Easter, in what I will call "Light Souls"

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

[

Yay :neckbeard:

I'll be a Sunbro as usual :fyadride:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Been thinking about this game again. I see it says SOTFS recommended, but I only have vanilla release game, will my online be hobbled compared to others, is it just a matter of fewer players?

If I bought SOTFS will it replace my other version in steam or coexist as two separate games?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Proletarian Mango posted:

Been thinking about this game again. I see it says SOTFS recommended, but I only have vanilla release game, will my online be hobbled compared to others, is it just a matter of fewer players?

If I bought SOTFS will it replace my other version in steam or coexist as two separate games?

Steamcharts says that SOTFS currently has about 10x as many players online as basic DS2 (3500 vs 350 more or less). So it’s not like you’re completely alone in base DS2, but if you want to do multiplayer stuff SOTFS would be better.

SOTFS is a separate game from DS2, they don’t overwrite each other.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Won't have time to commit to a full DS2 playthrough for return to drangleic this year, so I threw together a gimmick character for co-op and invasions :getin:

I tried to make him as lobsterlike as I could. The butterfly hat was the closest I could get to antennae but I didn't like the way it looked so I might either go naked, or just a smelter demon chest piece for a bit of armor + looks

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Won't have time to commit to a full DS2 playthrough for return to drangleic this year, so I threw together a gimmick character for co-op and invasions :getin:

I tried to make him as lobsterlike as I could. The butterfly hat was the closest I could get to antennae but I didn't like the way it looked so I might either go naked, or just a smelter demon chest piece for a bit of armor + looks

Zoidberg

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

poo poo that would've been a way better name. welp

Made a second one cuz I realized I've never gotten to try the Vanquisher's Seal before

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Punch run is so satisfying.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

[

i didnt play ds2 back when it came out and seeing everything so active last year was wild. especially the bellkeeper areas, it was nonstop action.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

poo poo that would've been a way better name. welp

Made a second one cuz I realized I've never gotten to try the Vanquisher's Seal before

Funky, I'm going fists too. I'll be Muhammad Aldi for the event.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going to make some kind of Dex build. I've already done Dex fth, I suppose I could just go straight Dex.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAj_YL3iXxM

:argh:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Charles Bukowski posted:

I think I'm going to make some kind of Dex build. I've already done Dex fth, I suppose I could just go straight Dex.

I've been doing a ton of dex invasions recently. All pve content on the way to my end goal is trivialized by the humble +10 rapier. Afterwards, here are the weapons I've been having fun with:

Blacksteel Katana
Partizan
Warped Sword
Helix Halberd

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Is powerstancing UGS/GS just a meme or is it effective?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

I've been doing a ton of dex invasions recently. All pve content on the way to my end goal is trivialized by the humble +10 rapier. Afterwards, here are the weapons I've been having fun with:

Blacksteel Katana
Partizan
Warped Sword
Helix Halberd

Yeah those are satisfiyng. I did the dex fth run with a heide spear.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dyz posted:

For much of my latest playthrough I’ve been powerstancing a zweihander and a claymore. The L2 is very efftective at pancaking.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
lol

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dyz posted:

Why not both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IiQ1H4kxNQ

Always be suspicious when a naked invader fat rolls.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This transpired exactly as intended by the devs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You guys playing Return to Drangleic on PS4 or PC?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Why are you so hurtful and non-inclusive.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Why are you so hurtful and non-inclusive.

Well I could also play on ps3 if you want.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've been murdering the gently caress out of RtD-doers with my SM150k and SM800k characters. I mentioned Blacksteel Katana and Partizan earlier. They've turned out to be some of my favorite weapons.

I used to chain invade with my Crypt Blacksword, and that weapon is insanely fun when you learn to play unlocked, if someone rolls around you predict their location and drop a giant purple popsicle on their head. But CBS is very stamina intensive and has a slow running attack so if you've punished them with a combo, you can't continue to punish them when they run away to chug. Especially if they're an overlevelled SL838 havel.

Katanas and Spears have some of the best running attacks in the game. You can initiate and space and chase down.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

MonsieurChoc posted:

xbox baby

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I defeated the Lost Sinner. I've been using the Pursuer Greatsword. I wish we could do the grab attack with it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

xbox baby

A lonely return...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

No Dignity posted:

A lonely return...

i got summoned yesterday!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

xbox baby

Based.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hope to see you out there either as knuckles or zoidberg :evilbuddy:

I'll be hanging out in the 180k-210k SM tier for a couple days and increase it over the week. What's an ideal mid to late game soul memory to park at for multiplayer?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Did some jolly coop with Muhammad Aldi and his dual cestus. Vanquisher ring is going to be too much effort for the event I think, maybe I'll grind it afterwards for NG+. I do look stylish if I may say so but boy does the damage suck. Got a cestus to +5, the other to +3, and STR at 30, but ugh, what a change of pace from UGS or overpowered rapiers. I'm going to suck even more than usual when I get invaded.

Anyhow, it's pretty cool to see that many signs all around.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Get you the Stone Ring. That ring absolutely makes or breaks a fist build. +30 poise damage per hit means you can endlessly stagger nearly every humanoid enemy, especially once you've got them powerstanced and can give em the ol' one-two L1 combos

If you don't have it and don't remember where it is, go back to the Things Betwixt bonfire, go through the crones' hut, cross the bridge, and take the path to the right. Kill that ogre and you'll be a punching god

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Ah, indeed, I'll go back for it and see the difference, thanks. I skipped the early ogre because I didn't fancy it on unleveled fists, and well, I just forgot after that. Usually I grab that ring straight away...

And yeah, that powerstanced fists L1 is neat. The L2 is showoffy but meh, it's painfully slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah I don't really ever use the L2 unless I'm feeling really cocky and want to stunt on someone

So, almost never