Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

endlessmonotony posted:

The first mass produced car was made in 1908 so by your own logic we've been in hell for over a century. :smugbert:

I'm not seeing the lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

probably going to see a lot of crop failure this year

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"better not get those in summer"

lol

lmao

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

endlessmonotony posted:

The first mass produced car was made in 1908 so by your own logic we've been in hell for over a century. :smugbert:

No independent observer would call car culture anything but hellish to live in

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

TONY MEATBALLS posted:

probably going to see a lot of crop failure this year

lot of artisanal jam makers have already been saying they won’t be able to make as many batches as usual this year due to the bad harvests last year

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

wynott dunn posted:

lot of artisanal jam makers have already been saying they won’t be able to make as many batches as usual this year due to the bad harvests last year

sell empty jars, call it Space Jam

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

wynott dunn posted:

irritated to find I can't get my favourite microbrew beers, just not on the shelves. also all my fave niche fragrances are downscaling production, what's with that

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
they only have blackberry scones and no blueberry or strawberry or raspberry. shits hosed

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mawarannahr posted:

they only have blackberry scones and no blueberry or strawberry or raspberry. shits hosed

Confirmed: Civilization has already collapsed

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oxxidation posted:

sell empty jars, call it Space Jam
if I buy an empty jar labelled Space Jam that poo poo had better be empty. you fuckers try to get away with shipping me a jar full of air and I’m gonna raise hell

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is quantum foam OK? 'Cause I can only work within the laws of physics here

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

mawarannahr posted:

Himalayan Giant blackberries will be the last fruit standing. Not only are they delicious they make an excellent perimeter defense line for your bean bunker. Main problem is keeping them from taking over your bean bunker.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

T-Paine posted:

If I can't do exactly what I want whenever I want, the communists win

it is amazing to reflect on how much of the population actually believes this.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Fun end of the world game take a shot every time you read "unprecedented".

T-Paine posted:

Turn it into FUNprecedented!!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
just find something that give you purpose, and do it, fellow friends :unsmith:

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Hubbert posted:

just find something that give you purpose, and do it, fellow friends :unsmith:

Wait, that's your drinking game?

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/01/17/the-great-siberian-thaw
A long article on the thawing permafrost in siberia.

This bit was news to me. Maybe we'll get to see some real ice age monsters thawing out. More likely all kinds of worms and parasites:

In 2015, scientists from a Russian biology institute in Pushchino, a Soviet-era research cluster outside Moscow, extracted a sample of yedoma from a borehole in Yakutia. Back at their lab, they placed the piece of frozen sediment in a sterilized culture box. A month later, a microscopic, wormlike invertebrate known as a bdelloid rotifer was crawling around inside. Radiocarbon dating revealed the rotifer to be twenty-four thousand years old.

“It’s one thing for a simple bacterium to come back to life after being buried in the permafrost,” he said. “But this creature has intestines, a brain, nervous cells, reproductive organs. We’re clearly dealing with a higher order.”

The rotifer had survived the intervening years in a state of “cryptobiosis,” Malavin explained, “a kind of hidden life, where metabolism effectively slows down to zero.” The animal emerged from this geological “time machine,” as he put it, not just alive but able to reproduce.

Unlocking the secret of how an animal with a complex anatomy was able to shut down for tens of thousands of years and then turn itself back on might, for example, offer hints for using cryogenic conditions to store organs for donation. Neuroscientists at M.I.T. have been in touch. “I’m obviously not saying our findings will lead to people being put into long-term cryogenic slumber tomorrow,” Malavin said. “But it’s a step in that direction.”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

munce posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/01/17/the-great-siberian-thaw
A long article on the thawing permafrost in siberia.

This bit was news to me. Maybe we'll get to see some real ice age monsters thawing out. More likely all kinds of worms and parasites:

In 2015, scientists from a Russian biology institute in Pushchino, a Soviet-era research cluster outside Moscow, extracted a sample of yedoma from a borehole in Yakutia. Back at their lab, they placed the piece of frozen sediment in a sterilized culture box. A month later, a microscopic, wormlike invertebrate known as a bdelloid rotifer was crawling around inside. Radiocarbon dating revealed the rotifer to be twenty-four thousand years old.

“It’s one thing for a simple bacterium to come back to life after being buried in the permafrost,” he said. “But this creature has intestines, a brain, nervous cells, reproductive organs. We’re clearly dealing with a higher order.”

The rotifer had survived the intervening years in a state of “cryptobiosis,” Malavin explained, “a kind of hidden life, where metabolism effectively slows down to zero.” The animal emerged from this geological “time machine,” as he put it, not just alive but able to reproduce.

Unlocking the secret of how an animal with a complex anatomy was able to shut down for tens of thousands of years and then turn itself back on might, for example, offer hints for using cryogenic conditions to store organs for donation. Neuroscientists at M.I.T. have been in touch. “I’m obviously not saying our findings will lead to people being put into long-term cryogenic slumber tomorrow,” Malavin said. “But it’s a step in that direction.”

lmfao that animal looks like this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

“golly, that was a nice nap! what’d I miss?”

munce
Oct 23, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

lol it's a muppet

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Sucks when most of your family and friends live on the florida coasts :/

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
living on the coast just means you can sell high, buy low when you move beforehand

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

also i fuckin hate that winter is now a constant string of reminders of the ongoing collapse of natural patterns. every few days so far this year it has been wind storm -> temperature swing -> wind storm -> temperature swing

as i'm typing this i can hear these eerie drat gusts of wind, and while it was -20 this last morning when i woke up the winds tell me that ain't gonna be the case tomorrow. oh boy look at that, high of 2 tomorrow according to the forecast, and i know i will get another jolly old bout of wind sometime thursday since by friday it'll be back to -19

fuckin jet stream breaking down. back and forth and back and forth and

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the clockwork temp swings own so much. then out of the blue you'll get perfect weather lmfao

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

id imagine if you could go into stasis for millennia like that rotifer that the planet would still be a hot mess upon awakening

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

lol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

gently caress i completely forgot about climate change

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

It was hovering around -30 for weeks here. Longest cold snap in 50 years. Your hands and face would start burning within a few minutes of going outside, and when I walked the dog he would start limping before we got to the end of the street, and we'd have to turn back. Then, in the course of two days, it's suddenly warms up and now it's above freezing. It's supposed to rain tomorrow morning.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

mawarannahr posted:

lol

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

“golly, that was a nice nap! what’d I miss?”

lol

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

This is the real cthulhu. An ancient god emerging from deep time. Death is in their wake.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

Ah, who am I kidding. I can't be mad at a face like that! :kimchi:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Got that animal, got this thing now ..

https://phys.org/news/2022-01-gene-georgia-global-threat.html

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

:rubby:

quote:

"If we don't tackle it right now, we are jeopardizing human and animal medicine as we know it and that can have huge repercussions on health and the economy," Kassem said. "It's a dangerous problem that requires attention from multiple sectors for us to be able to tackle it properly."

good thing we're still capable of organizing a response to threats or this could be a big deal

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

It's probably NBD, like bird flu or some poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it owns how much we destroyed nearly all our aquifers, top soil, and forests in order to be farming a bunch of mega mono-culture cheap subsidized cow feed that we keep in packed in horrific conditions to make as much profit as possible, which in turn results it being a festering disease fest of pus and foul meat which we then have to pump chock full of constant antibiotics so they don't lose out on a bit of profit. all so we can sell $1.99 cheap walmart select choice steak bc the only thing americans eat is a well-done steak with ketchup and a side of potato (vegetable) every night.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The Wisest Moron posted:

Ah, who am I kidding. I can't be mad at a face like that! :kimchi:

how do you know that's a face? it could be the other end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

mild