Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

Kinda wonder if you'd be able to get away with some of the bigger movies that fell through the cracks the era of required copyright renewal. So like the original cut of Night of the Living Dead or It's a Wonderful Life with the music removed.

To get to public domain It's A Wonderful Life you also have to cut out the entire bit where George sees the alternate life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

SuperBunnyHop tries to find a few positive changes 2020 and onward brought to video games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPc2_WiEauk

Aaaw this one doesn't go into how he recently learned about Linux kernel based consoles, I'm a sucker for those and i wanna hear another person freaking out about those.

https://twitter.com/superbunnyhop/status/1478227507572711424?t=zUMUAKtUw_rePHqoKGvVpQ&s=19

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ailumao posted:

my favorite part of that is the dude playing a japanese minister who she speaks to is like "sorry my english is bad, i haven't studied in a while" and his english is p much better than hers lol.

there's actually a weird example of this in anime. as already stated japan's also usually really bad at any non-Japanese language appearing in their media. Old Yakuza games are an example that stand out to me that especially had a lot of mangled Chinese, Korean, and English, tho they've been trying to improve with recent installments.

anyway, there's a really good anime called ping pong every one should watch cuz it rules. there's a character who is a chinese kid doing basically a ping pong scholarship study abroad in Japan. he can't really speak Japanese, and so he speaks almost entirely in mandarin and has his translator near him who really cleans up what he says cuz he's a bit of an rear end in a top hat. it's a nice bit. whats even better is they got a native mandarin speaker to voice him, and all his mandarin dialogue sounds really authentic and not just a quick translation of japanese->chinese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1WjozwcRqI

when they dubbed it in english for whatever reason got someone who really can't speak mandarin very well to voice this character that speaks 99% mandarin. it was a really weird casting decision considering the lengths the original production went to.

Ping Pong absolutely rules, that clip was so good that the first time I watched it I went and watched the rest of the series

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kunster posted:

Aaaw this one doesn't go into how he recently learned about Linux kernel based consoles, I'm a sucker for those and i wanna hear another person freaking out about those.

https://twitter.com/superbunnyhop/status/1478227507572711424?t=zUMUAKtUw_rePHqoKGvVpQ&s=19

Good news for historians and collectors!

Because for no-one else would it make sense to pack more games on your machine then you would ever feasible be able to try out in your lifetime.

I'm now getting flashback to the time when people were so amazed with CDs they put thousands of games on them. For some reason this didn't obsolete all sane options for video games either.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hahaha yeah you'd have to be a real fool to cultivate a giant, insurmountable list of games, haha yeah, how stupid. :gaben:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The reason why those numbers tend to be big is because it's fed with giant rom sets that have like, every single gameboy game or atari game and so on, and since SD cards are getting more and more cheaper, filling those machines with every known game of a console from one's childhood is absurdly easy. Keep in mind we are filling up a 32GB sd card at least with titles that can go from a few Kb to a chunk of Mb, so it's easy to see why someone would be like "Oh I can just. shove the entire ZX Spectrum library on one of these things and it would barely hit 1% of the capacity. Huh, what ELSE can I shove on this".

I mean you can easily just curate a small selection, scrape the art and be fine with a small device that runs your childhood set of games, and I imagine that's why the Nintendo Online\Mini or the Sega Mega Drive Mini services don't have huge galleries, other than licensing concerns.

Still, those things took a while to become both marketable and cheap so that anyone can grab it, so seeing people who otherwise wouldn't be aware of these getting hype is almost like seeing those kids get super hype about those Famiclones that would be sold on cheaper markets, only the number is actually legit and you can put whatever old thing you want on a form factor that has buttons on it. It's the Patton Oswalt rant about telling 1995 himself about the Ipod, but about retrogaming enthusiasts.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 11, 2022

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ailumao posted:

Duwang is the Mandarin reading of the characters for Morioh (杜王). Duwang was done from the Chinese translations, not the Japanese, so early on the translator just did romanizations of the Chinese for names, which is why it starts with Koichi introducing himself as Guanglai Kangyi (u dont need to remember), the Mandarin reading of his name.

啊 the character that appears everywhere is also a chinese exclamation like "ah!".
That was interesting to find out in the comments I can't wait for the next set of episode since I've been waiting for Grant's reaction to something that happens in this 2 parter for a while

New PBS Storied show called Fate & Fabled which starts off with The Fates of Greek Mythology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WC-zpVw-Xo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhx-3R4oark

Grim Beard made a video about Ring: Terror's Realm

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Alaois posted:

Oh I'm looking forward to this. That game is such weird garbage.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Cancel Culture really has gone to far. :mad:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1480744414259687429

Somebody else deciding to just stream random stuff on Twitch. "Um, I think you'll find it's only in the WEST that companies are litigious."

i dont think anyone said only western companies were litigious when toei is famously loving insane and nintendo has a terrible reputation for shutting down smash events appropo of nothing. anyway this is legal because i said so and he should be allowed to do it

Fil5000 posted:

Oh I'm looking forward to this. That game is such weird garbage.

this is one of the most unhinged games ever made

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alaois posted:

this is a decent vid but i could really do without the gimmicky static jumpcuts. i dont do well with surprise noises lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Relevant:
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1480562202801287177

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

does the 82 minute video cover that they were all the exact same story

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

0 rows returned posted:

does the 82 minute video cover that they were all the exact same story

Surprisingly, yes!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
New bobvids on how CinemaSins is (still) garbage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGOXHdf-_dM

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I havent watched Cinemasins in ages.. after watching it for far too long.
It pains me to admit that the last straw that got me to stop was them overlaying bad music to counteract DMCA claims on their videos.
Well that and their Kong Skull Island video.

I missed the entire underlying bad vibe somehow. (Probably because I only heard a voice and didn't care about them beyond that)

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 12, 2022

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

CinemaSins is still fine (not great, just...fine), and haters gonna hate.

But I'm not going to try and start that derail again. Instead, here's an interesting channel I stumbled onto. A bunch of Canadian playing Warhammer 40k. The game is still absolutely incomprehensible to me, but the fun mood is pretty infectious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKCeIkKADGk

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
ShayMay, who you may remember from the Sonic Spitballing series (which I just noticed was released 6 years ago :corsair:), puts in his two cents on Balan Wonderworld, which he kind of likes but recognizes is too flawed to unreservedly recommend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7joG1RQbNU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DeafNote posted:

I havent watched Cinemasins in ages.. after watching it for far too long.
It pains me to admit that the last straw that got me to stop was them overlaying bad music to counteract DMCA claims on their videos.
Well that and their Kong Skull Island video.

I missed the entire underlying bad vibe somehow. (Probably because I only heard a voice and didn't care about them beyond that)

LanceHunter posted:

CinemaSins is still fine (not great, just...fine), and haters gonna hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9IBlbfjNH0

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I actually didn't know cinemasins was still around doing their thing

i knew someone who used to use cinemasins as a gauge of "oh, this movie is now available for rental/streaming!" but they have apparently been focusing on the money-makers and hence doing "dings" on older movies, including one recently which is a whopping 1+hour video on the whole Avengers franchise which I can't imagine anybody over 13 watching earnestly (especially as bobvids points out (latest video) a lot of the sins are being "i'm a horny 13 year old" like wanting harley quinn to strangle you to death with her thighs)

anyway that bobvids video has a pretty good ending regardless of how much you like the c-sins so I would encourage watching it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

Why the gently caress are the worst media discourse-poisoning shitheads on the internet all named Jeremy for some reason? If I had a nickle for every godawful rear end in a top hat with a relatively big YouTube account who makes people appreciably stupider with every video he puts out named Jeremy, I'd have three nickles. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that this has happened three times now.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

fun hater posted:

nintendo has a terrible reputation for shutting down smash events appropo of nothing.

Nintendo kept saying "Don't have Smash tournaments" and then people kept having Smash tournaments where sex pests were just allowed to do what sex pests do, so I'm gonna give Nintendo the dub on that one.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Nintendo kept saying "Don't have Smash tournaments" and then people kept having Smash tournaments where sex pests were just allowed to do what sex pests do, so I'm gonna give Nintendo the dub on that one.

jesus

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think I'm ready to dive down into the movie garbage bin. With the second Phantom of the Opera movie, Dear Evan Hansen and The Book of Henry especially, being absolute nonesense, I think I might be missing out and need to see more. Does anyone have any video recommendation? Because I just find them fascinating to listen to secondhand but I'm incapable of sticking that stuff out if I have to actually view it myself.

Mr.Radar posted:

Wait, CinemaSins has writers?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TXn4I4qWJQ

Also I agree with BobVids, I have no idea what Jeremy CinemaSins wants a movie to ideally look like in his eyes.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 12, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cinemasin's ideal movie is two plus hours of content to repackage for profit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Also I agree with BobVids, I have no idea what Jeremy CinemaSins wants a movie to ideally look like in his eyes.

Every person on the internet who's tried to answer a question of that nature sincerely has put forth an answer that is either insufferably terrible, or looks like a mad libs remix of Patton Oswalt's Star Wars filibuster from Parks and Recreation, which is is to say insufferably terrible. When media illiterate people attempt to explain what they want media to look like, it's always a loving disaster.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Takoluka posted:

It's really cool and normal how 20 years of anger over wavedashing makes people act and talk the way you act and talk. Sexual harassment and predatory behavior are horrifically endemic to esports and the world in general, but when the Smash community takes actual material steps to expel predators and improve community safety as a grassroots organization, chucklefucks like you decide to use those tragedies as ammunition against people you think are playing a video game wrong.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

this dude recently swapped from doing tik toks to youtube for long-form debunking of archaeology hoaxes and conspiracy stuff, and imo he's really good

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-SrCCzkGq0wmSAuRs7EBFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYwgTdj5NrQ

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

It's really cool and normal how 20 years of anger over wavedashing makes people act and talk the way you act and talk. Sexual harassment and predatory behavior are horrifically endemic to esports and the world in general, but when the Smash community takes actual material steps to expel predators and improve community safety as a grassroots organization, chucklefucks like you decide to use those tragedies as ammunition against people you think are playing a video game wrong.

Yep, that's sure why the Smash community got a bad reputation, people mad at wave-dashing

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorWhat posted:

what on earth is wrong with you

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wave-dashing... the most powerful technique

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 12, 2022

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What is wave dashing

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

what on earth is wrong with you

I get frustrated when people use horrible poo poo as ammo for cheap shots. I've been directly involved in victim support and abuse investigations in the New York smash community. It's genuinely heartbreaking, awful stuff to see. It requires constant vigilance to keep creeps, fascists, and scam artists out of communities that are full of vulnerable people, including kids.

Summer 2020 I had to deal with someone I used to consider a friend admitting to me the ways in which they preyed on a queer teenager. They knew it was wrong and that they needed help, but had no idea how to get it or how to make amends. No physical contact happened, there was remorse, the kid's okay - but it was heartrending. There are worse stories.

People make cheap jokes about wavedashing, about people not showering, about sexual abuse. They treat those things as comparable problems, of equal severity and equal prevalence. It's not funny.

Fortunately, as community leaders have emerged with better knowledge and the conviction to do what's right, the Smash community - Melee and Ultimate and PM and all - have in fact been working very hard to clean this poo poo up, and to make tournaments a safe place to be. Which is important, because fighting games attract younger, queerer, more neurodivergent, and less wealthy people, who deserve safe spaces to be themselves, practice the empathy and controlled aggression and confidence that FGs can teach, and build healthy peer relationships in an organized setting.

House of 3000 requires parental accompaniment for younger teens and has a strict drug and alcohol policy to prevent misconduct before it happens. Coordinated tip lines make sure that tournament organizers know about bad actors and are accountable to one another. This isn't a joking matter.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What is wave dashing

quote:

A wavedash is a technique/physics engine exploit in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate that is performed by air dodging diagonally into the ground, causing the character to slide a short distance. While it is uncommon in casual play, high-level play of Melee effectively requires proper use of the technique; the Melee community sees wavedashing as an advanced technique superior to dashing because it allows players to perform any ground action while moving horizontally on the ground. Use of the technique is especially important for the metagame of characters with poor traction, such as Luigi, Mewtwo, and the Ice Climbers, and almost every other character requires some use of wavedashing for positioning and maneuvering, particularly in combos and mindgames.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Why the gently caress are the worst media discourse-poisoning shitheads on the internet all named Jeremy for some reason? If I had a nickle for every godawful rear end in a top hat with a relatively big YouTube account who makes people appreciably stupider with every video he puts out named Jeremy, I'd have three nickles. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that this has happened three times now.

Excuse you, Jerma985 is a treasure.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
til that bobvids, while kind of boring, is not moviebob.

DoctorWhat posted:

I get frustrated when people use horrible poo poo as ammo for cheap shots. I've been directly involved in victim support and abuse investigations in the New York smash community. It's genuinely heartbreaking, awful stuff to see. It requires constant vigilance to keep creeps, fascists, and scam artists out of communities that are full of vulnerable people, including kids.

Summer 2020 I had to deal with someone I used to consider a friend admitting to me the ways in which they preyed on a queer teenager. They knew it was wrong and that they needed help, but had no idea how to get it or how to make amends. No physical contact happened, there was remorse, the kid's okay - but it was heartrending. There are worse stories.

People make cheap jokes about wavedashing, about people not showering, about sexual abuse. They treat those things as comparable problems, of equal severity and equal prevalence. It's not funny.

Fortunately, as community leaders have emerged with better knowledge and the conviction to do what's right, the Smash community - Melee and Ultimate and PM and all - have in fact been working very hard to clean this poo poo up, and to make tournaments a safe place to be. Which is important, because fighting games attract younger, queerer, more neurodivergent, and less wealthy people, who deserve safe spaces to be themselves, practice the empathy and controlled aggression and confidence that FGs can teach, and build healthy peer relationships in an organized setting.

House of 3000 requires parental accompaniment for younger teens and has a strict drug and alcohol policy to prevent misconduct before it happens. Coordinated tip lines make sure that tournament organizers know about bad actors and are accountable to one another. This isn't a joking matter.

Okay... But when did that guy make a joke about wavedashing or not showering?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Way to downplay the Smash community's behavior. "No you see it happens everywhere!" is not a good look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It happens everywhere but the smash community is doing the best it can with limited resources and is frankly outperforming a lot of other non-grassroots orgs and communities. Infiltration got welcomed back to Capcom Cup after a domestic violence conviction. Corporate eSports leagues are absolute nightmares of substance abuse and predatory behavior, too.

These are endemic issues and singling out one game to pick on as uniquely terrible and worthy of mockery is deeply unproductive, especially when that game's community is way more transparant and forthright about its efforts to improve because of the relative lack of corporate support and big money changing hands.