Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Batterypowered7 posted:

Thinking about trying out Jeff Nippley's Powerbuilding System, but all I've got is a barbell, plates, the SML-2, and bench. It'd be my first structured program and I'd like to know what additional equipment I'll need before I take the plunge.

I have no idea what's in Jeff nipples program but you should be covered for most stuff there. You might want resistance bands or dumbbells for hitting smaller stuff like side delts you can't get with a barbell but you might be able to do that just holding plates.

I'd start the program and sub out anything you can't do before splashing out for more equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I wouldn't overthink the equipment you need, maybe some bands to emulate some stuff but I ran conjugate on a bare bones basement setup for two years and am currently prepping for a strongman comp in Feb using the same setup. If you need substitutes you can always just ask here

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Think these would work well?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010YOBB4/

$60 for a pair and I can just use my plates.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol my building has sent out a billion “the county has a mask mandate in all indoor public areas, INCLUDING GYMS” and two motherfuckers are down here coughing between sets. we’re all dead.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

After a few days severe hacking coughs becomes a great ab exercise

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There were two guys in my gym not wearing masks and i overhead pressed one into the ceiling and then deadlifted the other into my groin.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Covids a great way to cut.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
A guy in my gym spit water in the air like Triple H a couple months ago. We were all fiiiiine.

https://youtu.be/on1Hn0JWCEs

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Batterypowered7 posted:

I haven't used them but the reviews suggest getting new clips for them so I would do that so you don't catch a plate to the face.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

When I started lifting 9 months ago or whatever I was doing 5 reps and then 2 or 3 months ago I switched to 10 reps for reasons and then yesterday I did 5 rep OHP and beat my previous best by 10 pounds (105 to 115) so that was pretty cool. Felt like I could maybe do even more if it was the first working set instead of the last.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

I have a pair like that. You can only get three 10s on a side with a decent collar. Not sure I'd trust a spring clip to hold 30 lbs over my face. Altogether it's like 70 lbs a handle which is fine if your doing sets of 25+. Putting 25s and 45s on them are awkward as poo poo unless you got hooks or those squeeze seat belt hangers. Tuchscherer has a pair, it attaches to the handles and the top of the rack, you squeeze it to release and it rolls a strap in and out when you let go it sets a break to hang the DB. I cant remember the actual name at the moment.

I like my spinlocks much more.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Guyver posted:

I have a pair like that. You can only get three 10s on a side with a decent collar. Not sure I'd trust a spring clip to hold 30 lbs over my face. Altogether it's like 70 lbs a handle which is fine if your doing sets of 25+. Putting 25s and 45s on them are awkward as poo poo unless you got hooks or those squeeze seat belt hangers. Tuchscherer has a pair, it attaches to the handles and the top of the rack, you squeeze it to release and it rolls a strap in and out when you let go it sets a break to hang the DB. I cant remember the actual name at the moment.

I like my spinlocks much more.

Spinlocks, something like this?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah.

I got these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087T8UOE/

They actually use larger than 1" ID plates so other standard plates don't fit the handles. Which kind of sucks because I have an old sports authority standard set from when I was a kid that I could have used.

Jesus the price has doubled since I bought them.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

These damned prices are never gonna recover, are they? I don't wanna spend $400, drat it!

Hmn... I think Walmart sells 5lb and 10lb Standard plates at a reasonable price... Maybe I should hit this person up on FB Marketplace...

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

B-Rock452 posted:

I haven't used them but the reviews suggest getting new clips for them so I would do that so you don't catch a plate to the face.

i have a set of dumbells with similar clips, and i dropped a weight on top of my head a while back. it loving sucked, but luckily it was a one of those old cheap plastic weights filled with sand, so it probably wasn't all the way full and just left a bruise.

i have long since gotten rid of those weights. and i have a set of those screw-on dumbells coming. hopefully they work!

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 5, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I bought the ones from FB 'cause they looked like they could fit plenty of plates and came out to ~$1/1lb

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

so after like 2 years of not being in a gym, i got my equipment set up last week, and I'm starting a new program this week. i'm very excited.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

so after like 2 years of not being in a gym, i got my equipment set up last week, and I'm starting a new program this week. i'm very excited.

Hell yeah, new program buddy! I started mine yesterday and I'm sore in places I haven't been sore in a while!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You guys should lift heavy stuff a lot of times I’ve found that’s what works best for me.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Lifting heavy stuff is cool and good.
I also started doing more Strongman style lifts apart from my mainly PL focused stuff, lifting heavy unwieldy stuff is cool too.
Also Kettlebell lifts, cause I want to be ready if I ever need to travel with a circus.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve been thinking about writing a book about my rehab and journey from being paralyzed to being functional due to rehab and then being stronger than ever due to weight training. Thinking about titling it “My Struggle” what do you think?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

I’ve been thinking about writing a book about my rehab and journey from being paralyzed to being functional due to rehab and then being stronger than ever due to weight training. Thinking about titling it “My Struggle” what do you think?

"My Struggle [with a Big Dick]"

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

You guys should lift heavy stuff a lot of times I’ve found that’s what works best for me.

you know that's a very interesting theory. i'm gonna look into over the next few months and get back to ya

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

also does anyone know where i can get some standard sized plates for these dumbbells? everybody is selling olympic size.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Switch over to olympic size

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I tried eating some testosterone boosters and now im horny

well hornier

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
RIP your liver, I guess.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
why do people squat in socks in public. who told them it was acceptable. why.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

It always makes me so loving nervous. It's always regular rear end socks. Not even some special lifting socks with a grippy bottom.

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

This account was a birthday gift from my brother. I wanted an RC car. Fuck you.
I squat in socks

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

RamboMoe posted:

I squat in socks
at home, right? in the privacy of your garage with your own equipment? right?

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

at home, right? in the privacy of your garage with your own equipment? right?

I use flat shoes at home. The times i squat in socks are when i am in commercial gyms while on vacation or similar and dont have my flat squat shoes at hand.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

TenementFunster posted:

Youtube videos.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The only thing worse is people squatting in socks with their heels on those tiny plates

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

TenementFunster posted:

What's wrong with it? I used to do it all the time in my gym

Toofusses
Jul 24, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Anyone have any experience dealing with Rhomboid Major pain, particularly at the very bottom, right at the scapula? I can lift heavy weights, but God forbid I lie on my side, propped up on one arm for more than a minute or two (if I lie on my left side, my right Rhomboid spazzes out, the inverse is also true).

Couldn't work out today because it hurts to take a deep breath or turn to the right more than a few degrees. Couldn't muster the strength to load any weight for the overhead press and doing squats was also out of the question. Foam rolling, using a ball, or using one of those massage guns doesn't bring much relief either.

A bit late responding to this but the one thing that has helped me the most with this type of pain is two tennis balls in a sock. They seem to be the perfect size/shape to hit the rhomboids/lower traps (they fit in between the scapulae but don't put any pressure on the spine). You can roll on them or just lie on top of them and move your arms overhead to hit the tight muscles.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The idea behind squatting in socks is that youre creating a more direct connection to the floor and therefore less chance of throwing your self out of balance as you squat 200kg.

You wouldnt want to wear big kooshy running shoes because they effectively act as suspension and make it harder to drive with your knees. Its like trying to do pushups with your feet on an exercize ball. Its why you see alot of people in either just socks, or adidas sambas or converse all stars. They are flat soled and quite rigid.

I just opt for flat shoes because i typically workout after a stressy day in the office and dont want to air my feet out in the gym. I prefer to deadlift in socks but i use the cheap YMCA gym. Its not a SERIOUS STRENGTH type of gym and they have a rule about keeping your shoes on.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Omnikin posted:

What's wrong with it? I used to do it all the time in my gym

I dunno about you but I would prefer to be wearing footwear with some sort of grip when squatting 140+ kilos

Also I wear weightlifting shoes anyway, but before I got those I wore converse

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

I've squatted 290 kg in socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

MikeCrotch posted:

I dunno about you but I would prefer to be wearing footwear with some sort of grip when squatting 140+ kilos

Also I wear weightlifting shoes anyway, but before I got those I wore converse

Just squat. I’ve never been in a gym that doesn’t have some kinda textures/rough padded floor where you’re expected to be working out.

E- and I’m no rambomoe but I’ve done 190kg in socks

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 14, 2022