Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol gently caress

the concept of mind uploading was exciting and cool to me many years ago and the pipe-dream fantasy of helping bring it about was one reason I ended up studying computational neuroscience

then it became obvious that if it ever was invented it would be the most horrific unimaginable hell ever unleashed on humanity. literal immortal gods reigning for eternity over infinite slave clones

so thank gently caress the human brain is such a insane complicated mess that I don’t think it’ll ever be feasible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

TACD posted:

lol gently caress

the concept of mind uploading was exciting and cool to me many years ago and the pipe-dream fantasy of helping bring it about was one reason I ended up studying computational neuroscience

then it became obvious that if it ever was invented it would be the most horrific unimaginable hell ever unleashed on humanity. literal immortal gods reigning for eternity over infinite slave clones

so thank gently caress the human brain is such a insane complicated mess that I don’t think it’ll ever be feasible

Maybe your brain won't, I'm busy smoking weed and posting so my brain can be simplified enough to run on a ti-83. Smooooooth as silk

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Waffle House posted:

I genuinely see SA as one of the world's only places where true megalomaniacally smart people feel comfortable posting.

I'm a big smart boi

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

TACD posted:

lol gently caress

At this point decades of commercialized data collection have probably stripped any bad ring stuck in our digital selves, but people might accidentally get printed back out with a dildo or a bag of pet food

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

PokeJoe posted:

sa is good because you can go to the airsoft forum and learn about airsoft

Lol. I had to double check this.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

lmao

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Waffle House posted:

I genuinely see SA as one of the world's only places where true megalomaniacally smart people feel comfortable posting and being themselves at their core, down to expressing their deepest possible despairs, it feels best to be comfortable with that aspect of myself and make everybody comfortable, especially when we're in the specifically reputed brainworms-ing subforum despairing

Spending :10bux: on an internet forum makes you megalomaniacally smart

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Maybe your brain won't, I'm busy smoking weed and posting so my brain can be simplified enough to run on a ti-83. Smooooooth as silk

and yet, wisdom

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Waffle House posted:

I genuinely see SA as one of the world's only places where true megalomaniacally smart people feel comfortable posting and being themselves at their core, down to expressing their deepest possible despairs, it feels best to be comfortable with that aspect of myself and make everybody comfortable, especially when we're in the specifically reputed brainworms-ing subforum despairing

also: Pardon the personal tangents, here, but for anyone curious: I did actually get plenty of help, and it wasn't just professional; medication and sessioned therapy alone weren't going to fix the habits of a very anxious and destroyed person who felt that way and let it get to them over the course of years. Even with help, if you ever feel like you teeter towards that, you do a lot to get back in line. I did basically almost split my personality trying to make sense of, no poo poo, just how awful everything had become in the world, and had entirely taken it on myself to a very unhealthy level, and IMO it very much reflected in my posting.

Obviously I don't take any of the probes or locker rooming personally, this is SA, we do hold these standards for our own reasons of personal survival, and I was straight up crazyposting. I've successfully divorced myself from that specific material and all its curiosities unless for some bizarre reason it actually does manifest, but I did strike weird concepts while I was toeing around the Clint Mansell point, so I might post about them if people like ramjets and other fun high velocity physics

If you ever find yourself stuck as crazy, don't be afraid when you are there, but do fight it. Self supremacy is everyone's doctrine, and it works so well that we are a functional society.

Waffle House posted:

Honestly bad news: we are zero day’d right now, and the point of no return was decades ago, long before its public hint-reveal at Neuralink.

Havana syndrome is human experimentation, with machine learning bedside.

People on this very forum are acutely aware, but sadly behind the bridle of classified and hating it.

Sorry folks, we beat ourselves real good and aren’t winning at it.

lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

TACD posted:

lol gently caress

To be fair, it would most likely be hell for the uploaded brain as well.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The jokes on you, I'm dumb as dogshit

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

To be fair, it would most likely be hell for the uploaded brain as well.
I Have No Mouth but instead of AM theyre being tortured by a digitized elon musk

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/ReeseW/status/1480953798013054976

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

yeah im building a shack in the mountain wilderness

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

yes I have plenty of art of my fursona already :smug:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Waffle House posted:

also: Pardon the personal tangents, here, but for anyone curious: I did actually get plenty of help, and it wasn't just professional; medication and sessioned therapy alone weren't going to fix the habits of a very anxious and destroyed person who felt that way and let it get to them over the course of years. Even with help, if you ever feel like you teeter towards that, you do a lot to get back in line. I did basically almost split my personality trying to make sense of, no poo poo, just how awful everything had become in the world, and had entirely taken it on myself to a very unhealthy level, and IMO it very much reflected in my posting.

Obviously I don't take any of the probes or locker rooming personally, this is SA, we do hold these standards for our own reasons of personal survival, and I was straight up crazyposting. I've successfully divorced myself from that specific material and all its curiosities unless for some bizarre reason it actually does manifest, but I did strike weird concepts while I was toeing around the Clint Mansell point, so I might post about them if people like ramjets and other fun high velocity physics

If you ever find yourself stuck as crazy, don't be afraid when you are there, but do fight it. Self supremacy is everyone's doctrine, and it works so well that we are a functional society.

sounds like heaven to me

but how are horses of a different color then?????

All your posting still seems crazy. Nine million words to say what?? That you are crazy?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Please contact someone to help you Waffle

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ah yes, at some point in the future people will have separate personas online, they might even use cool new names like xxbrokendreamxx or Neo

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
@LegallyBlondechain

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I was, but they deleted my Cartoon Orbit account when that service shut down. Now all the digital goods I have are worthless MMORPG items that do things like allow you to equip them; they'd be more valuable if they did nothing except allow you to sell the .jpg of the icon

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hey bud, we aren't pranking you. We aren't gaslighting you. Your brain isn't working good and you need to talk to your doctor.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/NFTJiuJitsu/status/1480958802270822401

Relevant:

https://twitter.com/alexblechman/status/1457842724128833538?lang=en

Seriously, so many of the replies to that Witherspoon tweet are people enthusiastically hawking their individual bullshit NFTs. I felt like I was loosing my mind scrolling through them, thinking, among other things, how so much of tech right now seems to be turning towards "Hey, why don't we give Second Life another go?"

IBroughttheFunk has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Jan 12, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hey bud, we aren't pranking you. We aren't gaslighting you. Your brain isn't working good and you need to talk to your doctor.

While the previous was clearly their brain badly loving up, this might just be their normal. A doctor should be informed anyway (assuming they're somewhere care functions at all), yes, but assuming this is a state anybody can or should do anything about is being a bit of a dipshit.

Not the craziest poster on these here forums, C-SPAM might as well explicitly be the refuge of people with hosed-up brains. Nowhere close to the biggest rear end in a top hat.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

endlessmonotony posted:

While the previous was clearly their brain badly loving up, this might just be their normal. A doctor should be informed anyway (assuming they're somewhere care functions at all), yes, but assuming this is a state anybody can or should do anything about is being a bit of a dipshit.

Not the craziest poster on these here forums, C-SPAM might as well explicitly be the refuge of people with hosed-up brains. Nowhere close to the biggest rear end in a top hat.

Word salad isn't being an rear end in a top hat at all.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

this is a Jon Bois tweet

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hey folks, I'm going to put my mod hat on here and ask everyone to please not discuss Waffle House's overall mental state here. I understand that folks here are bringing it up from a good place, but this isn't a place to try to convince someone to get mental health help. It's the kind of thing that can turn sour real quick, and I want to avoid that.

That being said, Waffle House, please understand that what I am saying next I say without any irony or concern trolling, and I say with complete sincerity: what you have been writing in this thread lately is borderline incomprehensible. People are expressing frustration because we cannot understand what you are saying, not out of any attempt to troll or gaslight you.

So, to avoid people here feeling the need to discuss your mental state, I need you to start posting more comprehensibly. If that's something that you're unable to do, I need you to take a break until you can get back to that point.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
*observes the absolute state of the SA forums*

"obviously this is where all the smart people are"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Often Abbreviated posted:

*observes the absolute state of the SA forums*

"obviously this is where all the smart people are"

Well, yeah.

Have you looked outside?

Smart doesn't mean useful. Or nice. Or sane.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

size of our brains: megalomaniacal

posting: terrible

lowtax: dead

Azathoth posted:

Hey folks, I'm going to put my mod hat on here and ask everyone to please not discuss Waffle House's overall mental state here. I understand that folks here are bringing it up from a good place, but this isn't a place to try to convince someone to get mental health help. It's the kind of thing that can turn sour real quick, and I want to avoid that.

That being said, Waffle House, please understand that what I am saying next I say without any irony or concern trolling, and I say with complete sincerity: what you have been writing in this thread lately is borderline incomprehensible. People are expressing frustration because we cannot understand what you are saying, not out of any attempt to troll or gaslight you.

So, to avoid people here feeling the need to discuss your mental state, I need you to start posting more comprehensibly. If that's something that you're unable to do, I need you to take a break until you can get back to that point.

I'm fine, thank you. If you read the post, then you read that I got help, your due diligence was already done.

Appreciate it, though.

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Jan 12, 2022

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Waffle House posted:

big enough to contain all the smarts and even more stupids, at the same time, but somehow still filled to overflowing anyway

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Waffle House posted:

posting: terrible

lowtax: dead

My brain is literally too big to fit in my head, that's why the cyberskul.

My cyberspine is functioning nominally.

The Lowtax in my head: Dead.

SNAFU.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It is weirdly honorable to have a mod:

"Waffle we're glad you got help but would you please refrain from NOT shitposting"

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Azathoth posted:

hey fucker, I hope you get help too, in whatever areas of life are difficult or challenging for you!!! boom, owned

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Waffle House posted:

It is weirdly honorable to have a mod:

"Waffle we're glad you got help but would you please refrain from NOT shitposting"

Eh, to clarify, shitposting is not a crime but when I see multiple people in here expressing genuine concern for you and I have a hard time making sense of what you're saying and people say the same, I feel the need to step in.

That said, I am glad you've gotten help and I'm glad you're posting here. As someone who has had their own mental health struggles, it's good to see you coming out the other side.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Azathoth posted:

Eh, to clarify, shitposting is not a crime but when I see multiple people in here expressing genuine concern for you and I have a hard time making sense of what you're saying and people say the same, I feel the need to step in.

That said, I am glad you've gotten help and I'm glad you're posting here. As someone who has had their own mental health struggles, it's good to see you coming out the other side.

Dude I can imagine what the reports looked like. "Waffle House is posting apocalypses, mods please probe"

ty for the empathy. My posts are going to have to summer for a while, but that's a side effect of the severity at this point and no longer an accurate reflection of me.

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Jan 12, 2022

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I more or less understood what Waffle House was saying. It’s documented fact that Russian/etc AIs and action groups are “leading the discussion” on social media to foment discord and break up the culture of the USA, promote anti vaccine conspiracies, etc, in ways that could be construed as hacking people.

The main wrong part was just that he or any other individual person was at all special in this process. Even the psychosocial fragmentation of American culture itself isn’t that special - it’s happened to every other dying empire.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Waffle House posted:

Dude I can imagine what the reports looked like. "Waffle House is posting apocalypses, mods please probe"

lol it's not quite that bad, but this thread usually doesn't generate any reports so when i do see folks reporting stuff here, it's usually better to peek in sooner rather than later

in any case, sorry for stopping the flow of the discussion with boring mod stuff, I'll step out now :)

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Azathoth posted:

lol it's not quite that bad, but this thread usually doesn't generate any reports so when i do see folks reporting stuff here, it's usually better to peek in sooner rather than later

in any case, sorry for stopping the flow of the discussion with boring mod stuff, I'll step out now :)

It was best you came in to establish. I'll be no further trouble, I'm seeing that my opinions, while loving wild, aren't necessarily unique.

Butt Discussin posted:

I more or less understood what Waffle House was saying. It’s documented fact that Russian/etc AIs and action groups are “leading the discussion” on social media to foment discord and break up the culture of the USA, promote anti vaccine conspiracies, etc, in ways that could be construed as hacking people.

The main wrong part was just that he or any other individual person was at all special in this process. Even the psychosocial fragmentation of American culture itself isn’t that special - it’s happened to every other dying empire.

IMO if there are "clandestine operators" on the internet doing big evil conspiracy things, they are also bored humans that post on the same forums as you when they are off work. If you can furnish evidence of Russians using AIs, shallow or deep, that'd be fascinating to read. Do you think that implies other countries doing the same as well?

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook%96Cambridge_Analytica_data_scandal

https://www.brookings.edu/research/weapons-of-the-weak-russia-and-ai-driven-asymmetric-warfare/

The way this actually works is mostly just “astroturfing by bots”. People are social animals, all you have to do to “hack people” is simulate a peer pressure environment with slightly different values, then slowly push those values more and more over time.