Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So...

...who wants to make the shag carpet joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kesper North posted:

The general contention (and i'm just summarizing a branch of critical theory here) is that white savior narratives may on the surface appear to return identity and self-determination to native peoples, any actual appeal to those (small, marginalized) outgroups is largely accidental. This show was design for mass appeal to a primarily white audience, and white savior narratives became popular as propaganda for white people because it teaches them that the only way for other cultures to succeed is to become like them. In fact, it makes it morally obligatory for us to "help" them become more like us. Which is also called "cultural imperialism".

Any empathetic person's initial instinct is to 'even the odds and give the good guys guns', but that still leaves the out-group dependent on outsiders for parts and fuel. Or, it causes them to begin raiding, as the other Sand People do (as mentioned in the episode). The assumption I'm attacking here is that guns and speeder bikes are not necessarily an inherent good, as the sudden arrival of motor transport and firearms often upset delicate balances of power among local leaders and cause further outbreaks of violence long after the initial inciting event. This production nodded to Laurence of Arabia, which is appropos, considering T. E. Lawrence wrote at some length about how the sudden arrival of firearms and motor transport completely upended the culture of the desert nomads while also rendering them more dependent on modern infrastructure.

I'm not saying this is what the showrunners literally intend, this is just the semiotic payload they're delivering even as, by all appearances, they're trying very hard not to. That's what's frustrating me. They're trying hard, and they're getting pretty close, but their own grasp (or perhaps the studio's own grasp) of what a story has to be shaped like seems to be limiting them here. Or maybe something we've yet to see will address this. Their storytelling is generally pretty savvy.

I think that's an awesome idea. That's actually kind of what I expected they'd do, but I'm guessing the CGI budget wasn't there.

You're right, this is the Book of Boba Fett. And they had to have Boba do something. The problem is, they put this story in the wrong book. They shouldn't have involved Boba in this particular tale in the first place. If he has to be there, have it be a thing that happens around him, or have him go off and find out when the train is going to come back. Have him do something else for the Sand People - anything else, as long as it isn't showing them how to be like offworlders.

This show likes to have people fight giant monsters, maybe do that again, nobody really seems to mind as long as it's a cool monster and somebody ends up covered in slime.

I just finished rereading Leigh Bargudo's The Ninth House and one passage kind of stuck with me during this episode:

quote:

Alex knew it was probably a mistake. Better not to be noticed, remain the quiet girl, in over her head but no threat to anyone. But, like most mistakes, it felt good.

This Sand People tribe has now proven itself beyond doubt to be a threat to those spice runners. The truth is that the smarter bit of "White Savioring" would have been for Boba to head into civilization, do a little digging and find out the train's general route and schedule so that the tribe wouldn't be in danger the next times it went through. Yeah, it would suck to have to hide from the damned thing on their own lands, but they'd be alive and so would their Banthas.

Instead, with Boba's encouragement, they wrecked and robbed the train, making a really, really enjoyable mistake. Given that this show has six more episodes, figure that mistake will bite them in the rear end.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Everyone posted:

I just finished rereading Leigh Bargudo's The Ninth House and one passage kind of stuck with me during this episode:

This Sand People tribe has now proven itself beyond doubt to be a threat to those spice runners. The truth is that the smarter bit of "White Savioring" would have been for Boba to head into civilization, do a little digging and find out the train's general route and schedule so that the tribe wouldn't be in danger the next times it went through. Yeah, it would suck to have to hide from the damned thing on their own lands, but they'd be alive and so would their Banthas.

Instead, with Boba's encouragement, they wrecked and robbed the train, making a really, really enjoyable mistake. Given that this show has six more episodes, figure that mistake will bite them in the rear end.

That's an excellent point, and is why I said in one of my earlier posts that I have faith in their storytelling. There are lots of ways this could still turn out.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I was initially sceptical of the theme music but it's growing on me.

Oh wait Kieron Gillen made up that Wookie character? I thought it was a deep pull from EU.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As far as I'm concerned stuff originating from the comics is a deep pull from the EU.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh wait Kieron Gillen made up that Wookie character? I thought it was a deep pull from EU.

Yup he originated in the MCU era of star wars comics in the first darth vader run.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Space Vespa scooters!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

i love that the star wars galaxy is populated entirely with comedic actors

edit: holy fucjk black krrsantan is a monster

edit: holy gently caress 2 Space Danny Trejo!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 12, 2022

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jerkface posted:

holy gently caress 2 Space Danny Trejo!

And Space Stephen Root, too!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

oh nyo rancor is depressed :smith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol Danny Trejo as the Rancor master is dope. Fun episode. The cyborg biker gang seems cool. Really hope that wasn't the last we see of Black K though. Hope Boba hires him or something, lol.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Stephen Root!
Danny Trejo!

That speeder chase looked like dogshit though and I kinda hate everything about the Vespa gang. They just don’t fit the setting.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

teagone posted:

Lol Danny Trejo as the Rancor master is dope. Fun episode. The cyborg biker gang seems cool. Really hope that wasn't the last we see of Black K though. Hope Boba hires him or something, lol.

I think Krrsantan is almost certainly gonna help out Boba in a future episode due to Boba showing him mercy and not feeding him to the new Rancor or selling him back to the gladiators in very much an “honor amongst criminals” sort of way.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

This show owns so much. I was skeptical after the first 1/3 of this episode especially due to the pacing of how some story elements were told, but oh my god did the other 2/3 make up for it.

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 12, 2022

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They trained the rancor to eat boba didnt they?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stephen Root!
Danny Trejo!

That speeder chase looked like dogshit though and I kinda hate everything about the Vespa gang. They just don’t fit the setting.

I like it because it’s another genre mishmash into the already mishmashes genre.

Alita fans should like it as it’s very Alita

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was worth it for a space vespa crashing through a big painting of jabba held by 2 people moving it through the street. Great gag.

Continued to be wowed by the production values, but definitely feeling this one "directed by RR"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Robert Rodriguez is a cheapo low budget director. I’m down with his trash.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao was Fett's comment about riding bigger creatures in the past a reference to the Holiday Special cartoon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsNwP_1kTZQ

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao was Fett's comment about riding bigger creatures in the past a reference to the Holiday Special cartoon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsNwP_1kTZQ

He meant this
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Yarna_d%27al%27_Gargan/Legends

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The space Vespa with the half dozen of rear mirrors should have been ridden by a Dyplotid or a Talz

Coeus
Sep 21, 2006

I absolutely loved in this episode that Rancors are actually space pitbulls, they're just big misunderstood puppies!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

If they set up Fett riding a Rancor into battle like that and then never deliver on that promise, I will be writing my Congressional representation.

The chase where things were moving at the speed of a shopping cart was kinda sad, but I swear that was a crate of meiloorun there at the end.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I just remember that with the original Hasbro Toys, the Banthas had this piece on their back with a spring attached which you could push down to put an action figure in so they could ride them.

Sad they didn‘t have the foresight to do the same with the Rancor

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jet Jaguar posted:

If they set up Fett riding a Rancor into battle like that and then never deliver on that promise, I will be writing my Congressional representation.

The chase where things were moving at the speed of a shopping cart was kinda sad, but I swear that was a crate of meiloorun there at the end.

Oh they will absolutely deliver on that.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So, what's the over-under on Boba fighting Darth Maul at some point?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Hipster Occultist posted:

Darth Maul died to Obi-Wan in a duel on Tatooine when Luke was 15.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pretty much zero unless it's some kind of flashback. as witness here in this scene which occurs like 2-3 years before Star Wars: A New Hope.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jerkface posted:

It was worth it for a space vespa crashing through a big painting of jabba held by 2 people moving it through the street. Great gag.

It reminded me of Solo, which is not a positive comparison.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Everyone posted:

Pretty much zero unless it's some kind of flashback. as witness here in this scene which occurs like 2-3 years before Star Wars: A New Hope.

I thought that came later for some reason, I have all of my timelines mixed up I guess.

It seems like they were setting up a big bad (bad enough to scare the Hutts off) and this Pyke gang doesn't seem like they're the ones in charge.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Jehde posted:

It reminded me of Solo, which is not a positive comparison.

The solo chase was a lot faster and pretty cool! Solo is actually good if you ignore all the dumb callbacks to stuff han said in the OT. The chase in this episode was waaaaaaaaaaay slower, very weird choice to film it as if it was a kinetic high speed chase but then not actually be high speed. I like Boba Fett just landing via jet pack at the end, like he prolly could have flown the guy down! I actually really liked all the bits showing the city or weird denizens as they did the chase, but the chase stuff itself was like eh. Overall though its a fun episode, but it had a weird vibe. Given all the light hearted dialogue just having the tuskens wiped off the map off screen is strange.

So far episode 1 was ok, episode 2 ruled, and episode 3 was a mix of "haha yes!" and "ha ha... yes?"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Gonz posted:

Darth Maul died to Obi-Wan in a duel on Tatooine when Luke was 15.

What if Darth Maul shows up but his left half is also all robotic to match his bottom half so he is just 1/4 real boy?

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

0%. He died years ago at this point.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Boba needing to get bailed out by the Captain Planet crew. Shameful. He needs to start projecting strength

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I knew I’d heard the phrase Kintan Strider before; it’s one of the dejarik chess pieces.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I knew I’d heard the phrase Kintan Strider before; it’s one of the dejarik chess pieces.

The skeleton of one was their gang symbol it was on the back of one of their jackets! Pretty sure a goon posted it up in this very thread!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was hoping that the Rancor tamer was spouting a bunch of bullshit and it was just sedated, leading to it immediately trying to kill Fett as another Hutt plot.

Tars Tarkas posted:

What if Darth Maul shows up but his left half is also all robotic to match his bottom half so he is just 1/4 real boy?

gently caress, I mean I wouldn't put it past the SW crew to do something like that. But yeah, not gonna happen.

So far the show doesn't have that same Mando magic for me, and this episode felt like the weakest one so far. If they can stick the landing though that'll go a long way towards improving the show though.

As a bit of a tangent, I have a good feeling about the Ahsoka show in particular, but a big part of that is because I'm a big Thrawn fanboy. I don't think they'll have all my long-term Star Wars book fan dreams come true and give me an unlikely alliance of Thrawn, the Chiss, and some Jedi vs. the Yuuzhan Vong (saving the galaxy from a threat they never really even knew about), but that's the show that seems like it has the most potential to recapture the wonder of the original trilogy in a way that nothing since then really has.

Basically, I think Mandalorian is still the finest overall production to come out under the Disney Star Wars umbrella, but they're taking so many swings now that I feel something's going to be properly head and shoulders above the rest of the stuff. Maybe Rogue Squadron will be the thing to pull that off, who knows.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Jerkface posted:

having the tuskens wiped off the map off screen is strange.

Re: tuskens, we saw the chieftain's body and Boba putting the kid's staff on the pyre, but did we actually see the lady tusken's body anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jerkface posted:

The skeleton of one was their gang symbol it was on the back of one of their jackets! Pretty sure a goon posted it up in this very thread!

Bad News/Good News/Better News.

Bad News: Boba's tribe got murdered.

Good News: Which means we can stop talking about whether or not he's a "White Savior." Regardless of his "whiteness" none of the Tuskens were saved.

Better News: Roaring Rampage of Revenge in the near future AKA relatively recent past