Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The opening of Gears 5 is bad and when I started it like 2 years ago I quit maybe an hour in. It having one of the worst/longest/most needless tutorials in gaming history sure wasn't doing it any favors and after that it wasn't particularly exciting. Instead of starting over I decided to just continue my old save so I didn't have to play the tutorial again (although I looked it up and guess I could have skipped it). Then from there you leave the first area and the amount of boring cutscenes is wild. Like 45 minutes of characters yapping about this dumb story I don't care about at all. Almost just deleted it again.

Then out of nowhere it actually gets really good. I haven't even gotten to the part where it opens up and I'm still playing as Marcus dorky troy baker sounding son (how many game VA's sound exactly like Troy baker now? It's nuts. I couldn't believe it wasn't him).Just killed the first big rancor guy. But the environments and encounter design and enemy variety have all been really good. I think I'm into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The campaign DLC is also good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gears 5 takes some steps forward but not enough and to be honest the open world is kind of eeeeh for me.

The real issue is narratively 4 didn't have you shooting the CoG in their stupid faces and instead went with Status Quo Reset

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They need to totally reboot gears asap

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I thought was funny. I have not played a Gears game in over a decade and the first thing I thought was "holy poo poo this game has the stupidest controls" and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the "shooter" option that made it control like a normal game. Then I promptly switched it back to the default after 20 minutes, because it felt all wrong and enjoyed playing it more with the weird controls.

Apparently muscle memory runs deep.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Communism won in GOW

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The best button on any gaming controller is the Skip Cutscene button.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ColdPie posted:

The best button on any gaming controller is the Skip Cutscene button.

hell yeah. made doom eternal a billion times more fun

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m usually a cutscene skipper but I think being forced to watch them in ghost of Tsushima actually made me like the game more

E- sorry for PS chat, I’m still new to Xbox :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hello Xbox owners and other PlayStation thread goons with a shameful secret! I have a couple of questions:

1. How is the performance on Sable these days? Is it any better or are certain areas still stutter city? I’m on a Series X.

2. Is the UI customisable at all? Is there any way to make it less unbelievably poo poo?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Escobarbarian posted:

Is there any way to make it less unbelievably poo poo?
What's your problem with it?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/stalker_thegame/status/1481279837469872129

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look, you don't have to lie to me, Stalker 2 doesn't exist and never has

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Hello Xbox owners and other PlayStation thread goons with a shameful secret! I have a couple of questions:

1. How is the performance on Sable these days? Is it any better or are certain areas still stutter city? I’m on a Series X.

2. Is the UI customisable at all? Is there any way to make it less unbelievably poo poo?

I have it installed on PC but haven't played for a long time, Sable's last update was December 21st, the Xbox version probably got one too. Might run smoother now than at launch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sable runs smoother on the X now but apparently still isn't perfect.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

External Organs posted:

I've never felt more useless than when my father in law asks me to help him with boat stuff.

How hard can it be to torch it for the insurance?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dang

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

this wouldn't have happened if they didn't remove the load-bearing nfts

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

What's your problem with it?

Kind of everything. I hate the tiles, I hate that the things I want to use the most are smaller and the things I don’t care about are gigantic, I hate that so many things like user settings can only be changed in that lovely little pop-up window. I just want something simple that only shows games and apps.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Try clicking on the thing that says Games & Apps. Hth

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes, I can see that. But I would rather that was the main page instead of having to click through.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait, how do you game if the last 7 things you used is less convenient than starting you in the my games and apps folder. Are you always when you hit 7 different things going "can't repeat, gotta be new".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it customisable or are you all just gonna be weird assholes

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
We're just gonna be weird assholes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Is it customisable or are you all just gonna be weird assholes

You can't customize the home screen or its ranking on the list of tabs. Otherwise, everything is fully customizeable just press the select button while in the UI and it'll open up the layout customizer

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

We're just gonna be weird assholes.

Ok. Thanks for the help, jackass.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

You can't customize the home screen or its ranking on the list of tabs. Otherwise, everything is fully customizeable just press the select button while in the UI and it'll open up the layout customizer

Thanks a lot, this did actually help! I got rid of the Game Pass bit (although I really wish I could get rid of the Add More section too lol). I do still wish I could get rid of the ads below the recent game tiles, but I guess this just comes with the territory, huh? I know in America the PS5 starts with a splash screen trying to sell you poo poo, but it doesn’t over here bwahaha etc. My only issue now is all that empty space along the top, but if there’s nothing to be done about it I’ll learn to get used to it.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I, too, hate the needlessly changed UIs on the Xbox and PS5. I guess this is what it feels like to get old.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Xbox UI has been exactly the same for the last 10 years lmao.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

The Xbox UI has been exactly the same for the last 10 years lmao.

lol there were several significant modifications of it during the Xbox One generation. There was one less than 2 years ago, even.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Thanks a lot, this did actually help! I got rid of the Game Pass bit (although I really wish I could get rid of the Add More section too lol). I do still wish I could get rid of the ads below the recent game tiles, but I guess this just comes with the territory, huh? I know in America the PS5 starts with a splash screen trying to sell you poo poo, but it doesn’t over here bwahaha etc. My only issue now is all that empty space along the top, but if there’s nothing to be done about it I’ll learn to get used to it.

Wait you have an xbox, but not game pass?

Also the gap at the top seems to exist so your background art you select (in addition to system built ins every single achievement you unlock can be used for the background)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

lol there were several significant modifications of it during the Xbox One generation. There was one less than 2 years ago, even.
Significant? :raise:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

The dude’s history in this thread seems to indicate he gets extremely upset and defensive whenever anyone dares to suggest something about the Xbox isn’t perfect. I guess it’s good to have received that info early, always handy to get a sense of thread regulars and their personas.

I haven’t actually played much on here yet - too busy looking at/downloading Gamepass stuff and trying to get RetroArch working (I think I did it but I wanna go the USB route rather than FTP and I need to boot up my PC in order to format a stick to NTFS and it’s currently behind several things because I never use it lol) - but the opening to Forza was amazing! God drat that poo poo is so so beautiful. I’ll do Halo eventually too and I’m really looking forward to playing Prey for the first time.

Barudak posted:

Wait you have an xbox, but not game pass?

Also the gap at the top seems to exist so your background art you select (in addition to system built ins every single achievement you unlock can be used for the background)

I have Game Pass, I just don’t want that section on my dashboard. And that’s pretty cool about the achievements.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They removed Snap and I will never forgive them

They also did a lot of shuffling stuff around/order it appears and removing the xbox tv guide being hooked up to the x button.

I think they also changed the size of a lot of the squares as they left kinect in the past but don't quote me.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If I could change anything about the ui it would just be to be able to bar certain apps from the recent list. You do the rewards and it fills up with crap like bing and ie

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is gonna sound like heresy but I never liked 360's Blades. The UI update after that was perfect.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The current UI is just blades but sideways. Blade lovers won.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is gonna sound like heresy but I never liked 360's Blades. The UI update after that was perfect.

360 blades were super awesome and advanced for the era Xbox 360 launched in and absolute dogshit for the era it exited in. It was like the Sega Saturn 2d Capabilities of Console UIs

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

elf help book posted:

The current UI is just blades but sideways. Blade lovers won.

That explains why I don't care for the Series UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hot take: you should play video games on your Xbox.