Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Flayer posted:

Ludicrous stuff, I've seen more movement from training cones than that Latvia team. England players casually winning headers walking around in the opponent's box because the entire Latvian team is standing around ball watching. How is that an international team.

Lads its Spurs Latvia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
30 - nil over the two games - says it all really

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
What the...

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1471790494791331843

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I didn't know I was ready for the UEFA-CONMEBOL Nations League but I am 100% ready

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Are they bringing CONMEBOL refs, too?

Either way, one side of this deal's adjustment is going to be something to see.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

The Nation's League is an abomination that should not exist at all. They should have cancelled international friendlies and given the extra time back to the clubs.

That said, if it has to exist, this is the best form for it to take. The matches will be more fun, the arguments will have more flair, and the South American players wont have to travel half way around the world and back every month or so.

The last point seems like such an obvious natural bonus for the situation that I'm almost certain that their national teams will require them to go back to South America to join up with the team so that they can make the trip back to Europe together as a team for no reason.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
The Nations League is cool, sorry guy

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It will be good to get the South American nations in, makes it actually interesting . I feel like the SA teams have always missed a meaningful international competition outside of the World Cup simply due to the low number of nations in South America compared to Europe.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I know it's set up to avoid it now but loling at the thought of Brazil flying their whole squad over to play Andorra and San Marino and then fly back

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It will be almost interesting to see how they slot the south american teams into the seeding. There's going to end up being some mid to high tier uefa teams bumped down a pot with much harder groups as a result.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Flayer posted:

It will be good to get the South American nations in, makes it actually interesting . I feel like the SA teams have always missed a meaningful international competition outside of the World Cup simply due to the low number of nations in South America compared to Europe.

Way to absolutely poo poo on the Copa America

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Flayer posted:

The Copa America has been going for over 100 years while the Euros started in the late 50s

How many of those euro teams are anything more than group stage fodder

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The Copa America has been going for over 100 years while the Euros started in the late 50s

How many of those euro teams are anything more than group stage fodder

I have a distinct memory of watching the opening game of Euro 04, and thinking "I'm sure they're happy to be there but they must know they're not gonna win"

A few weeks later:

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I knew a Greek dude back then, and bantsed him pretty hard about how many they were going to concede with Dabizas at centre half (in the end they left him on the bench throughout IIRC)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

AFCON status: on

Nigeria are currently 1 up against Egypt

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

AFCON status: on

Nigeria are currently 1 up against Egypt

Elneny, Salah and 9 randoms if you look at their team sheet and tactics so far.

Should be more up.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah Egypt are trash

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
One goal in three games today. Probably not worth watching until the knockout rounds anyway.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The frequency of the name Mohamed or variations therof in the Egypt squad is just incredible.

e: gently caress it, I tried to correct this table but verifying the names in the graphic posted below with the transfermarkt / wikipedia pages for the individual players was taking too much time. For all I know, every single Egyptian person is called Mohamed at least twice.

jeebus bob fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 13, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jeebus bob posted:

The frequency of the name Mohamed or variations therof in the Egypt squad is just incredible.

code:
				Mohamed/Mahmoud			
position	#players	first name	middle name	% first name	% any
GK		4		4		-		100%		100%
DF		9		3		2		33,3%		55,6%
MF		9		2		2		22,2%		44,4%
FW		6		0		2		0%		33,3%
squad		28		9		6		32,1%		53,6%

Why does it say 0 for forwards? Salah, Sherif, Mohamed are all strikers?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:d2a:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

4 of their 5 listed forwards have Mohamed or a variation thereof in their names.

Mohamed Sherif
Mohamed Salah
Omar Khaled Mohamed Marmoush
Mostafa Mohamed

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Lot of big names in that side

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

I may have messed up the positions

edit: also looking at that graphic some of the players could have been counted twice :v:

jeebus bob fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 12, 2022

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
and meanwhile in Africa..

Referee Blows Full Time Whistle in 1-0 game.
Gets told "It's only the 85th minute you buffoon"
Gives a player a red card
Gets told "Hey, you buffoon, double check that on VAR"
Ignores VAR
Blows full time whistle again. This time at 89:40

40 minutes later, after AFCON tells the ref he's a buffoon (again), and interrupts the post-match press conferences to try to get the teams to go back out there (again) to finish the game (again)

One team does this, the other team is already in ice baths and wants nothing to do with this tragishamockery.

4th official, who's taken over for the buffoon, waits a couple minutes, and then calls the game over, for a third time.

When you make CONCACAF look like a sterling organization...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

Lot of big names in that side

Lmao

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The ref in the Tunisia Mali game was diagnosed with heat stroke and severe dehydration.

Still no word on what the gently caress they’re going to do about replaying it

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Didn't they have water breaks during the game?

Did the ref just watch the players drink thinking "man it'd be sweet if I was allowed some of that cool, cool agua"

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
maybe that Benin magician that was after are Sadio got him

https://twitter.com/theafrican_hub/status/1479112657579888646?s=21

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
currently lolling at Ivory Coast

https://twitter.com/mitchwilks/status/1482773190749343751?s=21

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
These games have nothing to do with CAF qualifiers for the World Cup, right?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Is that pitch laid on sand, keeper straight up tips over instead of sliding.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Doctor Malaver posted:

These games have nothing to do with CAF qualifiers for the World Cup, right?

Yeah, no connection. Looks like there's one more playoff stage that will be drawn on Saturday.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CAF)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%E2%80%93_CAF_Third_Round

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Ghana are out at the group stage after losing to....Comoros

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Never heard of him

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Comoros sounds like a marvel villain they’ve pulled out of the vault to fight some obscure superhero they’ve now also pulled out of the vault for a $200m movie

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
LMAOOOOOO

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1485073124710359048?t=JlOWaHrDPNfa0UjSiGNr7A&s=19

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

what the hell? does he actually try now that hes 30? lol

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

This Nigeria Tunisia game is being played at walking football pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Has a sending off by a substitute ever been more Arsenal and Everton than Iwobi’s there?