Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Item Getter posted:

Is there any kind of consensus on what's the best Metroidvania search action game outside of Metroid Dread? Hollow Knight maybe?
Also related to that, in Ori 2 did they change the thing from the first game where there's no attack button and just a tiny creature next to you that auto-attacks everything? I found that to be kind of weird when I tried the demo of the first game.
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. Conveniently packaged on Switch with two other decent Metroidvanias.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Iinks awakening
Sounds more like that mini-golf game someone above was asking for to me, TBH. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm enjoying Metroid Dread for its style and polish. I wish I hadn't already played Blasphemous on the PC because that would've been amazing on the Switch.

Read After Burning posted:

I haven't touched Ring Fit in almost a year, and I'm making myself start again (from the first level, ha) next week. I don't have any balls to smack myself in, but my titties are too drat big and I've popped myself in 'em a couple of times while attempting the ab guard. Nowhere near as painful, I'm sure!

Still not as bad as RE4 VR allegedly is. :P
https://twitter.com/adrianhon/status/1451570322956771333
I think it's a good way to get some exercise in winter, although Ring's voice is already starting to grate.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm making a bold prediction that Nintendo is going to make another sequel in one of their most consistently best selling series ever at some point

My insider source says MK9 is finished but Nintendo won't release it until people stop buying 8

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

I think it's a good way to get some exercise in winter, although Ring's voice is already starting to grate.

Your sweat is so shiny and beautiful!

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Blasphemous is the Christo-Latin Dark Souls of Search Action, and the act of playing it is the closest you can get to understanding its themes of flagellation

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Item Getter posted:

Is there any kind of consensus on what's the best Metroidvania search action game outside of Metroid Dread? Hollow Knight maybe?
Also related to that, in Ori 2 did they change the thing from the first game where there's no attack button and just a tiny creature next to you that auto-attacks everything? I found that to be kind of weird when I tried the demo of the first game.

hollow knight is the best one. dread and super are second.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I still don't understand why they haven't released even one DLC pack for MK8D. Literally millions of people own the game. You'd get a fair number of them to spend more money on the game you already sold them, even just by releasing some new racers and/or tracks.

It's free real estate money (aside from dev costs, but how much could it cost to make some extras for the game?)

Also, happy Wednesday!

https://twitter.com/WiiWednesday/status/1481239876515344386?t=bzgx50jJv-cE-dugjzlkBg&s=19

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 12, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still don't understand why they haven't released even one DLC pack for MK8D. Literally millions of people own the game. You'd get a fair number of them to spend more money on the game you already sold them, even just by releasing some new racers and/or tracks.

It's free real estate money (aside from dev costs, but how much could it cost to make some extras for the game?)

Because they released two DLC packs for the original WiiU version that got bundled into the Switch version. Aside from Nintendo just not being very good with DLC in general, I wouldn't be surprised if they just see it as a quick-and-dirty placeholder to fill the Switch library with until they can get the next iteration done. Plus they've got World Tour on phones going as well.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Everyone shut up, new kirby game is goty

https://youtu.be/RiPcRCWzcGo

Video Games is fed up with y'alls poo poo

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The new Kirby looks super good! I can't wait to hang out with the Waddle Dees at the park. :3:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

:hai:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It remains absolutely insane to me that if you look at the two of the 3 biggest and most broadly accessible Switch releases, they are ports of last Gen games from 5 years ago.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kirby with gun

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Blasphemous has a Spanish voice actors patch that really elevates it, highly recommended. Too slow and hard for me though. Spike pits give me the anxiety.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I cannot stress this enough, even if you have never, ever played a game in subtitles before, but the Spanish VA for Blasphemous is some of the best line delivery in the medium and absolutely elevates the entire game to Hall of Fame levels of video game.

Also when you start the game go DOWN first instead of UP unless you like getting your teeth kicked in by angry nuns.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Woah did we have a release date for Kirby before this? March 25 is sooner than I expected.

Was that a pith helmet? Did Kirby absorb colonialism?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Blasphemous is the best metroidvania ever made, for humans

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

bushisms.txt posted:

Everyone shut up, new kirby game is goty

https://youtu.be/RiPcRCWzcGo

Video Games is fed up with y'alls poo poo

My boy Kirby is gonna cap some peeps.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

xedo posted:

Woah did we have a release date for Kirby before this? March 25 is sooner than I expected.

Was that a pith helmet? Did Kirby absorb colonialism?

And we fight Whispy Wood’s Rastafarian cousin

Kirby was meant to oppose imperialists, not become one!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because they released two DLC packs for the original WiiU version that got bundled into the Switch version. Aside from Nintendo just not being very good with DLC in general, I wouldn't be surprised if they just see it as a quick-and-dirty placeholder to fill the Switch library with until they can get the next iteration done. Plus they've got World Tour on phones going as well.

Quick and dirty placeholder that just happens to be one of the best games on the switch

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kirby looks great, I’m all in.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nobody does "gently caress it, here's a trailer for a game you barely know poo poo about, and it's out in 2 months" better than Nintendo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

poyo

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

DLC Inc posted:

nobody does "gently caress it, here's a trailer for a game you barely know poo poo about, and it's out in 2 months" better than Nintendo

Gotta get it out of the way to clear space on the schedule for the next Direct.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm predicting that the next direct, which will be this month, will feature a surprise announcement of Goldeneye on Switch. :colbert:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Huge fan of Alolan Whispy

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

nintendo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bust Rodd posted:

It remains absolutely insane to me that if you look at the two of the 3 biggest and most broadly accessible Switch releases, they are ports of last Gen games from 5 years ago.

Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 I assume are the ones you're talking about, but if you go beyond three(and I assume the third is animal crossing) the next biggest ones are Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Smash Ultimate, Pokemon Sword Shield, Pokemon Pikachu eEvee, Super Mario Party, and Ring Fit Adventure, none of which are ports.

And Breath of the Wild is actually number 4 behind Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and Smash, so 2/3 of the too 3 are not ports.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
BOTW isn't a port. Please don't engage with Bust Rodd posts.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

botw is a port and not a particularly good one. runs best in emulator tbh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
botw is clearly a starboard

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

undoubtably roughyl 1000x better than insane neverending fake hype teasers for years

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Oscar Wild posted:

Ender lilies might be up your alley, or not. Easy metroidvania

Ender Lilies rules. Hollow Knight is the best metroidvania though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Broke: them shadow dropping an insanely cool trailer for Kirby randomly on Twitter probably means that a direct isn't gonna be happening any time soon

Woke: by getting the Kirby trailer out of the way now, they cleared out 3 minutes of space for even more cool trailers during the Nintendo direct that's happening in the next 2-6 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

gently caress I love nirvanna the band the show so much