Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

my file server has a ryzen 3900x in it and idles at 200w with 12 wd reds, but at least it is an improvement on the old dell server and sas disk shelf that idled at 650 watts
maybe i should order a less overkill cpu and motherboard at some point
I mean, it's a modern CPU - it shouldn't be idling that high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
12 WD Reds ought to be 60-70W while spinning, that leaves 130W remaining.

My wall plug indicates 95-105W when my desktop idles, which is a 16-core Threadripper 2950X (just SSDs), but that figure also includes a Raspberry Pi, a DSL router, some Philips Zigbee hub and the overhead of an UPS.

So yeah, that 3900X figure is odd.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's what I mean, it's way off unless ACPI C and P states are turned off and the CPU is being actively loaded.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's running on an ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming motherboard with an ancient BIOS, I found some other people talking about mysteriously high power usage while idle.
There's also two LSI 2008 sas hbas in it that runs all the drives and a bunch of fans, I just figure it all adds up.

The plan is to "downgrade" to a 5600x with half the cores and a b550 motherboard and give the 12 core cpu and x570 back to the gaming pc I borrowed it from. I'll try to get some more detailed power stats when I rebuild it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Couldn't you just upgrade the motherboard firmware and then use an OS to virtualise your server and gaming OS'?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Re: lack of apps on truenas - can't you install whatever you want into a jail?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

VostokProgram posted:

Re: lack of apps on truenas - can't you install whatever you want into a jail?

As long as there's a FreeBSD package yea. I'm not sure where TrueNAS Scale pulls from though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This "chart" bullshit. Not sure if that's specific to Kubernetes or whether ixSystems made that term up. They have their own repository, and there's a third party one with a bunch of apps. https://truecharts.org/

The alternative is to run Docker manually on a terminal, then you can install whatever. You need to create an /etc/docker/daemon.json tho and back it up and restore after every TrueNAS upgrade, since that gets tossed every time.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I have a non-NAS storage question. I'm upgrading to a SFF PC and my 4TB 3.5 inch hard drive needs to come out into an enclosure. Is it worth paying double for this fancy OWC enclosure over the Chinese competition if my concern is thermals from being on and connected all the time? Or would the money be better spent if I doubled it again and waited for a sale on whatever the ~10TB (which I don't really need right now) external drive du jour is?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hikaki posted:

I have a non-NAS storage question. I'm upgrading to a SFF PC and my 4TB 3.5 inch hard drive needs to come out into an enclosure. Is it worth paying double for this fancy OWC enclosure over the Chinese competition if my concern is thermals from being on and connected all the time? Or would the money be better spent if I doubled it again and waited for a sale on whatever the ~10TB (which I don't really need right now) external drive du jour is?
Search for USB Direct Attached Storage, there's plenty of examples including ones with an 80mm or 120mm fan.
Anything USB3.0 is fast enough, as spinning rust tends to max out at ~160MBps while SATAIII/6Gbps tops out at 550MBps because of overhead and USB3 is 5GBps.

EDIT: Something like this seems like an ideal solution.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 10, 2022

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Thanks for the search terms. Seems like I have to get into some of the more serious options for the kind of reliability I want so I'll have to rethink my use case.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I have my shiny new Synology NAS up and running. I am now trying to get a handle on all the apps included in the Synology package manager, and it's a bit overwhelming. It looks like there are several official packages that can back up the NAS disks to cloud backup services, packages such as Cloud Sync and Hyper Backup, but I am a bit confused about the differences between all of them.

One feature I am curious about is client-side encryption. I currently use a cloud backup service that is fully e2e encrypted, but it's kind of expensive and none of the official Synology packages support it, so I am thinking of switching to something else, but the problem is that a lot of the alternatives don't support e2e encryption. Is there a Synology package that encrypts my stuff on the client side and only backs up encrypted chunks (or whatever) to the cloud service? Both of the packages I linked above say they support some kind of client side encryption, but I'm not sure if they mean "the data will be unreadable if you try to view it in your cloud service account" or if it just means "yeah we use SSL to send your backups over the wire".

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 11, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think cloud sync is dropbox style instant syncing, like mirroring, whereas hyper backup is periodical and does versioning if you want it to, so more suitable as an actual backup solution as it will mitigate eg. cryptolocker loving your files or user error where sync will not.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I have my shiny new Synology NAS up and running. I am now trying to get a handle on all the apps included in the Synology package manager, and it's a bit overwhelming. It looks like there are several official packages that can back up the NAS disks to cloud backup services, packages such as Cloud Sync and Hyper Backup, but I am a bit confused about the differences between all of them.

One feature I am curious about is client-side encryption. I currently use a cloud backup service that is fully e2e encrypted, but it's kind of expensive and none of the official Synology packages support it, so I am thinking of switching to something else, but the problem is that a lot of the alternatives don't support e2e encryption. Is there a Synology package that encrypts my stuff on the client side and only backs up encrypted chunks (or whatever) to the cloud service? Both of the packages I linked above say they support some kind of client side encryption, but I'm not sure if they mean "the data will be unreadable if you try to view it in your cloud service account" or if it just means "yeah we use SSL to send your backups over the wire".

In my experience CloudSync chokes if you have a very large number of files. It was noticeably worse than the Dropbox client several years ago in that regard so didn't really serve the purpose I had bought it for which was to get out of paying for Dropbox. HyperBackup though is really solid even with huge numbers of files and definitely uses client side encryption if you enable it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Less Fat Luke posted:

No as I mentioned the higher end ones have a higher idle wattage but honestly it's still pretty reasonable; the 5800x I'm using to type this is using 30 watts right now (just the CPU obviously) which I think is quite reasonable. It'll go over 100 to a max of 140ish when I'm gaming though.

For a file server it's almost certainly going to stay near idle in home usage though.

My NAS is on an Intel 11400 and it's doing a full ZFS scrub today so I can't check it's actual idle wattage but even right now it's at 60w.

for a home NAS server that’s going to be mostly idle, the enthusiast AMD CPUs aren’t great. Even my 5700G idles at like 25-30W. I’m sure the laptop power brick isn’t helping there (laptop bricks are rarely 80+ rated and even 80+ doesn’t require fantastic idle efficiency) but Intel just idles a lot lower.

That’s one of the reasons I’ve been tossing around the idea of upgrading my fileserver to a raptor lake Xeon build next year. Unfortunately AMD also cuts ECC support on their APUs so if you want the slightly better idle you have to buy Ryzen pro just like Intel makes you buy the Xeon.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i rebuilt the NAS with a ryzen 5600x and asus rog strix B550-F gaming motherboard
it saved me a whopping 20 watts :toot:

but now i know in detail what is using the power, i measured step by step as i put things back together:
UPS: 15 watts
motherboard,psu,32gb ddr3, nvme os drive and cpu: +40w
2x LSI2008 hbas: +15w
12x 8TB WD Red drives + 110w :aaa:

those WD drives are apparently just really power hungry, nearly 10 watts per drive.
at least I have a proper gaming and VR PC back now

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I sorta want a NAS that just has 2 drives and can do plex transcoding and run qbitorrent. The boxes out there seem really expensive, is TrueNas/FreeNas/etc software good/stable? Anyone have a pcpartpicker for building a NAS?

Should I go down this road or is it not worth the hassle?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

5436 posted:

I sorta want a NAS that just has 2 drives and can do plex transcoding and run qbitorrent. The boxes out there seem really expensive, is TrueNas/FreeNas/etc software good/stable? Anyone have a pcpartpicker for building a NAS?

Should I go down this road or is it not worth the hassle?

Buy a used Dell Optiplex off eBay or FB Marketplace, load TrueNAS or unRAID on it and you're good to go.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Scruff McGruff posted:

Buy a used Dell Optiplex off eBay or FB Marketplace, load TrueNAS or unRAID on it and you're good to go.

Oh man those are loving cheap.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

5436 posted:

Oh man those are loving cheap.

Sure you say that now, but just wait until a few years from now when you're staring at the full rack of enterprise server and network gear that is now somehow in your house and refusing to think about how much you've actually spent on it because you know you'll cry.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Scruff McGruff posted:

This is the move.

HP and Lenovo have similarly cheap boxes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

for a home NAS server that’s going to be mostly idle, the enthusiast AMD CPUs aren’t great. Even my 5700G idles at like 25-30W. I’m sure the laptop power brick isn’t helping there (laptop bricks are rarely 80+ rated and even 80+ doesn’t require fantastic idle efficiency) but Intel just idles a lot lower.

That’s one of the reasons I’ve been tossing around the idea of upgrading my fileserver to a raptor lake Xeon build next year. Unfortunately AMD also cuts ECC support on their APUs so if you want the slightly better idle you have to buy Ryzen pro just like Intel makes you buy the Xeon.
It's not just they aren't 80% efficient at the top of their efficiency curve (especially at 120V, since that's got lower efficiency than 240V) - it's that their curve is way sharper at the bottom and top of the load, so if the AC adapter is at 10% or 100% load most of the time, you're getting less than 50% efficiency - meaning at 30W idle you're seeing 60W from the AC adapter.

r u ready to WALK posted:

i rebuilt the NAS with a ryzen 5600x and asus rog strix B550-F gaming motherboard
it saved me a whopping 20 watts :toot:

but now i know in detail what is using the power, i measured step by step as i put things back together:
UPS: 15 watts
motherboard,psu,32gb ddr3, nvme os drive and cpu: +40w
2x LSI2008 hbas: +15w
12x 8TB WD Red drives + 110w :aaa:

those WD drives are apparently just really power hungry, nearly 10 watts per drive.
at least I have a proper gaming and VR PC back now
Now think about how much more power a drive takes when it's spinning up - there's a reason why SAS disk shelves spin up drives in a staggered pattern. :science:

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

quote:

17x Dell Optiplex 790 with i5 2nd gen 3.1ghz, 4gb ram and NO hard drive.

$50 each

That a good price?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

CopperHound posted:

One interesting thing I'm seeing is that 'zpool iostat 30' shows a read rate about 7-10 times higher than my torrent seed rate.
I now realize this is probably because I am trying to torrent from a smb share which I guess will not do client side caching.

I want to try NFS, but I don't love the idea of having an unsecured share on my lan when I don't trust every device on the network. As far as I can tell, I need to use kerberos for access control.

Can any of you recommend a guide that gives examples of running a kerberos server in a container and setting if up for NFS shares? There is a lot of information about it out there, but it is hard for me to wrap my head around without starting with some practical application exercises.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

5436 posted:

That a good price?

That seems about right, but you might be able to find one with 8gb of RAM or potentially even a 5th gen one for a few more bucks. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make though (and a DIY RAM upgrade is cheap and easy).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Scruff McGruff posted:

Sure you say that now, but just wait until a few years from now when you're staring at the full rack of enterprise server and network gear that is now somehow in your house and refusing to think about how much you've actually spent on it because you know you'll cry.
Quiet, you...

I totally need 40G ethernet running around my basement.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Any suggestions for a decent <$100 external hard drive? Don't need anything huge or fancy, mostly just using it for overflow storage, like even just 1-2tb would be fine

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

5436 posted:

That a good price?
For a Beowulf cluster? Sure.
Do you need a Beowulf cluster?

CopperHound posted:

I now realize this is probably because I am trying to torrent from a smb share which I guess will not do client side caching.

I want to try NFS, but I don't love the idea of having an unsecured share on my lan when I don't trust every device on the network. As far as I can tell, I need to use kerberos for access control.

Can any of you recommend a guide that gives examples of running a kerberos server in a container and setting if up for NFS shares? There is a lot of information about it out there, but it is hard for me to wrap my head around without starting with some practical application exercises.
I think you might be mixing terminology here.

What Kerberos gives you is the ability to encrypt (and MAC) your traffic so that it's impossible to know what gets sent over the wire and that you can know if it's been modified.

NFS can either do anonymous sharing via the mapuser and maproot functionality (which is the first reason why the user 'nobody' exists, although it gets used for other things too nowadays), but NFSv4 can do regular username authentication rather than the NFSv3-style UID+GID authentication that's caused a lot of people to set up LDAP/NIS syncronization previously.
Unfortunately, the Windows NFS Client in Windows 10/11 Pro doesn't yet implement NFSv4, and I don't know how Kerberos and NFS interacts on anything beyond Windows 7, because that was the last time I had Kerberos and NFS setup on Windows.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Any suggestions for a decent <$100 external hard drive? Don't need anything huge or fancy, mostly just using it for overflow storage, like even just 1-2tb would be fine
I think anything at that price is either old-stock or a SMR drive but since it's a single drive that's presumably just going to be used with NTFS, EXT2-4 or UFS, that's probably not an issue.
Also, at that price point all of the manufacturers are pretty much equally good/bad about failure rates. Remember to test your drive extensively before you start using it, to ensure it isn't a DoA or near-DoA.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 12, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

5436 posted:

That a good price?

Maybe you can swing a discount if you buy all 17?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ah FFS, something's writing minuscule amounts of data (like a few hundred bytes) in a 1-2 minute cadence to my disk based pool and keeping the drives from idling, and it's only recent. What the gently caress now?

--edit:
ZFS says no activity, but apparently TrueNAS decided to snag 2GB of each drive for swap. Sigh.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 13, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ah FFS, something's writing minuscule amounts of data (like a few hundred bytes) in a 1-2 minute cadence to my disk based pool and keeping the drives from idling, and it's only recent. What the gently caress now?

--edit:
ZFS says no activity, but apparently TrueNAS decided to snag 2GB of each drive for swap. Sigh.
I believe someone else ITT found out that it's TrueNAS' reporting that's responsible for the behavior?

Also, I'm fairly sure they keep swap so that DUMPDEV=auto will work, as otherwise there's no place to write crash info until it gets saved to /var/crash by savecore(8) and can be examined with crashinfo(8) or kgdb(8) from devel/gdb if you have the debug symbols.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I believe someone else ITT found out that it's TrueNAS' reporting that's responsible for the behavior?
Maybe I complained about, too. It uses rrd and causes a huge activity spike every five minutes. I have a cheap SSD as system dataset to fix that. Also temperature read outs also pull disks out of idle.

But right now, it indeed was swap, causing absolutely minor activity, despite free memory being at 1.6GB at its lowest according to TrueNAS' own reporting. So :confused: Disabled it, and disks are idle now.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Can any BSD/TrueNAS experts advise on how to install Krusader or a similar GUI file manager? I have tried and failed with my basic google-fu . Successfully set up a jail and did 'pkg install krusader" but I get an error when I run krusader:

08:02:05.140-warning qt.qpa.xcb unknown@0 # could not connect to display
08:02:05.140-info qt.qpa.plugin unknown@0 # Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
08:02:05.140-fatal default unknown@0 # This application failed to start becauseno Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: bsdfb, minimal, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Abort

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 13, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Smashing Link posted:

Can any BSD/TrueNAS experts advise on how to install Krusader or a similar GUI file manager? I have tried and failed with my basic google-fu . Successfully set up a jail and did 'pkg install krusader" but I get an error when I run krusader:

08:02:05.140-warning qt.qpa.xcb unknown@0 # could not connect to display
08:02:05.140-info qt.qpa.plugin unknown@0 # Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
08:02:05.140-fatal default unknown@0 # This application failed to start becauseno Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: bsdfb, minimal, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Abort
You should think of a jail as a completely separate installation akin to multi-tenancy found in virtualization.
As such, you can't (with iocage) do what you want - because even if you pass through all the hardware that the X display server needs (ie. a graphics card), you also need to do fiddly things with the storage so that it overlays the data storage pool (this can be done using the regular jail management tools in FreeBSD, but it's far from trivial).

I'd recommend checking if mc is available on the commandline if you insist on doing local file management.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 13, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'd recommend checking if mc is available on the commandline if you insist on doing local file management.
:haw:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

You should think of a jail as a completely separate installation akin to multi-tenancy found in virtualization.
As such, you can't (with iocage) do what you want - because even if you pass through all the hardware that the X display server needs (ie. a graphics card), you also need to do fiddly things with the storage so that it overlays the data storage pool (this can be done using the regular jail management tools in FreeBSD, but it's far from trivial).

Thanks, I will look at other solutions.

Edit: Little kludgey but I ended up installing Nextcloud and mounting the desired directory in the data folder, then updating the database with 'occ files:scan --all'. So now I can browse, copy, download etc. via a webpage.

Edit 2: And Nextcloud is a piece of crap, just as I remembered.

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 14, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I remember seeing an AnandTech article on HP's Marvell-based little RAID 1 NVMe card... and it got me thinking, what's the simplest, easiest way to get a RAID 1 bootstore for proxmox (I think I am done with ESXi...)? I'm surprised (a bit) there's no AliExpress special for a 480 GB M.2 2280 RAID 1 store. There's the Dell BOSS card, which is mSATA, not NVMe, but if I only use it for basic VM storage, that probably doesn't even loving matter.

One idea my coworker suggested was seeing if there was a way to get a bootable ZFS mirror w/ proxmox -- it might have a little script that copies the boot partition across drives, so if BIOS BBS priorities are set correctly, it'll just fail over and I can use M.2 slots on the mobo.

Highpoint makes a few options (SSD7xxx and SSD6xxx) series but these seem overkill for VM storage / proxmox installation. My end goal (I've been trying for years as my posts in this thread likely suggest) would be do a homelab-style bad idea of getting proxmox to boot the TrueNAS VM which then exports storage via iSCSI, which proxmox then uses to boot other VMs.

I also realize SSD reliability is pretty loving high and this might just be a giant waste of time to think though, but it feels like the 'right' thing to do.

tl;dr -- what's the simplest RAID 1 storage solution that's bootable that isn't chipset RAID / what are people here doing?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

movax posted:

I also realize SSD reliability is pretty loving high and this might just be a giant waste of time to think though, but it feels like the 'right' thing to do.

I have always booted work ESXi hosts via USB (poo poo consumer cards) then moved onto mirrored SDs (Dell IDSDM).

Planning out an upgrade now for a few dozen hosts from 6.7 to 7.0 and trying to stay within VMwares guidelines, I figured I would mirror some cheap SSDs as a boot drive. Each of these boxes was originally ordered with a single 240gb SSD (reseller/Dell claimed we couldn't buy fully diskless anymore).

Pull an unused SSD from one box, slap into another and get ready to mirror them for the ESXi install.

NOPE.

Controller is an HBA330 (cheapest at the time). No RAID functionality. gently caress me.

Trying to decide if I actually care enough about ESXi boot drives to order some matching SSDs and trays for all these hosts.

I'm guessing no.

I know none of this really relates to your situation, but thank you for attending my Moey Talk.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Moey posted:

I have always booted work ESXi hosts via USB (poo poo consumer cards) then moved onto mirrored SDs (Dell IDSDM).

Planning out an upgrade now for a few dozen hosts from 6.7 to 7.0 and trying to stay within VMwares guidelines, I figured I would mirror some cheap SSDs as a boot drive. Each of these boxes was originally ordered with a single 240gb SSD (reseller/Dell claimed we couldn't buy fully diskless anymore).

Pull an unused SSD from one box, slap into another and get ready to mirror them for the ESXi install.

NOPE.

Controller is an HBA330 (cheapest at the time). No RAID functionality. gently caress me.

Trying to decide if I actually care enough about ESXi boot drives to order some matching SSDs and trays for all these hosts.

I'm guessing no.

I know none of this really relates to your situation, but thank you for attending my Moey Talk.

When I was loving around with getting ESXi up and running, I kept seeing stuff in ESXi 7.0 where apparently they were turbo-loving SD / USB installs (posted in VM thread about it IIRC). Figured at least with Proxmox, it's Debian under the hood and I know what I'm getting into w/ hardware vs. dealing with my semi-consumer hardware + ESXi... but it definitely wants to be installed and not just booted from a SD or USB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

movax posted:

So I remember seeing an AnandTech article on HP's Marvell-based little RAID 1 NVMe card... and it got me thinking, what's the simplest, easiest way to get a RAID 1 bootstore for proxmox (I think I am done with ESXi...)? I'm surprised (a bit) there's no AliExpress special for a 480 GB M.2 2280 RAID 1 store. There's the Dell BOSS card, which is mSATA, not NVMe, but if I only use it for basic VM storage, that probably doesn't even loving matter.

One idea my coworker suggested was seeing if there was a way to get a bootable ZFS mirror w/ proxmox -- it might have a little script that copies the boot partition across drives, so if BIOS BBS priorities are set correctly, it'll just fail over and I can use M.2 slots on the mobo.

Highpoint makes a few options (SSD7xxx and SSD6xxx) series but these seem overkill for VM storage / proxmox installation. My end goal (I've been trying for years as my posts in this thread likely suggest) would be do a homelab-style bad idea of getting proxmox to boot the TrueNAS VM which then exports storage via iSCSI, which proxmox then uses to boot other VMs.

tl;dr -- what's the simplest RAID 1 storage solution that's bootable that isn't chipset RAID / what are people here doing?
Root on ZFS with mirrored boot sectors (on FreeBSD, this is typically done via gmirror(8)) is by far the best option - anything else isn't better or worse than RSTe is, considering you're after plain mirroring which requires no fancy software.

With SSD reliability trending consistently downwards from SLC over MLC to TLC and QLC - with the last two being right on the edge of usable-for-enterprise - I wouldn't assume anything about reliability being better than spinning rust. The bigger problem with SSDs is that we don't yet have reliable indicators for when drives are about to die.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 14, 2022