Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Several, and a nonce typeface too (which they share with quite big chunks of the rail and road network).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Barry Foster posted:

Go check out the biosphere collapse thread in CSPAM lol

because that, uh, is not exactly guaranteed

You know what, I don't think I will!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Not to understate the threat or global warming but you ever think those people are a little too invested in the idea of complete global apocalypse?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

nonce typeface

Do the capital letters touch up too.close against the minuscule letters or something?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do the capital letters touch up too.close against the minuscule letters or something?

Made by said nonce, though arguably less controversial than his statues and drawings of naked children, modelled after his daughters, which he nonced.

Reading the guardian article about it really makes you wonder what's wrong with art critics who say poo poo like this:

quote:

When I contact MacCarthy, she tells me she has watched in “dismay” as the fact of Gill’s abuse of his daughters has grown to become the thing that defines him. “My book was never a book about incest, which is what one would imagine from many hysterical contemporary responses,”

and

quote:

She has, moreover, serious doubts about the latest approaches to his work. “There’s also the question of whether today’s curators are really equipped to deal with all the possible nuances of the sexual aberrations in the lives of artists, and how to interpret these to the viewing public.

Also he lived in the 20th century it's not some medieval thing.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 12, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Great now the woke taliban are so emboldened by taking down statues of slavers, they want to move on to statues of nonces. Where next for cancel culture?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Life has ducked several catastrophes that make anything humanity could throw at it look absolutely tame, and even the most extreme projections for collapse won't even be the worst disaster *caused by life getting too big for its boots* - the Oxygen Catastrophe and the Cryogenian both wiped out all but the tiniest proportion of life on the planet.

Until the Sun goes red giant and melts the Earth to its constituent atoms in about 5 billion years life will continue on, and maybe next time it will avoid all that multicellular poo poo that just seems to bring trouble.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not even happy at the prospect of humans continuing to exist, much less the prospect of other forms of life existing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Several, and a nonce typeface too (which they share with quite big chunks of the rail and road network).

Please tell me that you mean the old font and not the new one they haven't even properly implemented across the corpo.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 12, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

You know what, I don't think I will!

:hai:

No Dignity posted:

Not to understate the threat or global warming but you ever think those people are a little too invested in the idea of complete global apocalypse?

I'm not sure, though I'm sure I'd like them to be

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Christ, 400 COVID deaths reported today.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Boris hasn't been "teflon", he's not immune to scandal. As long as there's a little bit of traction on a story at all, it exists for as long as the press want it to exist. If the press decided they wanted to keep Boris in power, all the front pages would say something different tomorrow, and in a couple of week's time people would wonder how Boris wriggled out of this one. We all saw what happened with Corbyn, a couple of nothing stories were repeated every single day for years until a dedicated anti-racist campaigner became the new Oswald Mosely.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Foster posted:

lol do not do this. There are enjoyable threads in CSPAM but the doomerism stuff is way too much

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

When I worked at network rail*, Gill Sans was the corporate font.

*almost 15 years ago now! unbelievable how time flies!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gonzo McFee posted:

TIL that the BBC has a nonce statue

I like the "is this the way?".

Well it was still up, so doesn't look like anyone really trying any other ways that worked. So gonna going to have to go with yes?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
iirc it's still the house font for the Church of England, and most post 2000 editions of the Book of Common Prayer.

That's pretty unfortunate, he wasn't even CofE. Think of how many typefaces designed by Anglican nonces were passed over.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

keep punching joe posted:

Great now the woke taliban are so emboldened by taking down statues of slavers, they want to move on to statues of nonces. Where next for cancel culture?
Five quid says it's a right wing culture warrior who will later say "wot I thought taking down statues was legal now"

the statue nonce & the nonce statue

Barry Foster posted:

There's been tonnes of mass extinction events before, this one's just faster :colbert:

ThomasPaine posted:

I find it comforting to think that, for all our doomering about the world being in danger because of politics and climate change and killer viruses etc, it really isn't. We are, but the world will adapt and will get on just as it ever did. New species will evolve and crawl around the crumbling remains of our civilisation, the sun will rise, the waves will crash into the shores, nature will heal, and all of humanity will be a tiny footnote in the history of the earth.
:emptyquote:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

lol do not do this. There are enjoyable threads in CSPAM but the doomerism stuff is way too much

Yeah, to be clear, no-one needs to avail themselves of what's in that thread, and in hindsight I'm sorry about bringing it up

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Banging my big drum labelled Rory For PM and banging it loudly outside parliament. Want more photos of him grimacing next to a particular sort of constituent

Failing that Hancock or Williamson. Just nobody even remotely competent or with ideas about things

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he's just using a hammer then no, you should use a chisel as well, and also a harness, don't want to fall off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Christ, 400 COVID deaths reported today.

I hate to keep repeating this because it was the refrain of the dumbest fuckers on the planet not too long ago, but that's *with* covid, not *of*, a number that gets severely skewed at a time when something like 2% of the entire population currently have covid. Numbers in ventilation beds are still dropping, and death certificates are actually showing a *drop* in covid deaths over the week before Christmas

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That statue is openly noncing that child statue out in the open, disgustan.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
take his ladder away

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Because the last few pages have been heavy going (and because I ignored two snipes), I present to you from the PYF Cute Thread the next Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He'd stand no chance against starmer.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

He'd stand no chance against starmer.

stick a blue rosette on him and say that

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I think so yes! There is a good forgotten weapons videos on damascening if you check youtube, really impressive work.

Apparently wikipedia says they gave a pile of them to Stalin during the spanish civil war, not sure what Stalin would use 30 odd gold spanish mausers for but I guess they thought it would help.

I remember footage of Churchill giving Stalin a sword (a big medieval designed one) and the Man of Iron going wtf!?! while holding it awkwardly, at the Yalta Conference possibly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I say that because we all know that starmer is a deadly assassin of everything vaguely the same size and shape as a llama.

Just Another Lurker posted:

I remember footage of Churchill giving Stalin a sword (a big medieval designed one) and the Man of Iron going wtf!?! while holding it awkwardly, at the Yalta Conference possibly.

Oh sure state gifts are normal and all, but it's just specifically giving him a big pile of them that's funny. I don't think even stalin could purge fast enough to need dozens of guns.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I quite liked his work... then i read his biography which was quickly followed a big no loving way! Nope! Nope! Nope! :byodood:
edit: basically he did his sister most of his life, the kids.... and the dog..... let the statue fall.

That was me, looks to be going about as well as expected then. :stonklol:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 12, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

I just looked this up, it was Tehran apparently.

Apparently the Soviet band played both God Save the King and the Internationale, which is some pretty mixed messaging.

I think the best state gift was Khrushchev giving Kennedy one of Strelka's puppies at the height of the space race.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 12, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Made by said nonce, though arguably less controversial than his statues and drawings of naked children, modelled after his daughters, which he nonced.

Welp, sorry I asked

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Welp, sorry I asked

He also nonced a dog.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Yes. The fact that the BBC has a statue of an old man fondling a naked boy, designed by a known Paedophile, right outside its main HQ isn’t as widely known as it perhaps could be

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/itvwestcountry/status/1481325102579044361

e: Vice Chair of the 1922 has spoken out
https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1481315789416407042

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised she cares about energy bills, doesn't she have a woodpile?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

They can only challenge once a year though right? Must be tempted to wait until after the May locals.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Sherlock Peston being schooled on how email works by Dom

how do utter bimbos like him and jeremy vine have their jobs lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Considering who they are producing content for I don't think them being smart would be a positive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

crispix posted:

how do utter bimbos like him and jeremy vine have their jobs lol

Doesn't bimbo/himbo imply that you're dumb but sexy? Not sure I'd apply the label to either of those two, but you do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ThomasPaine posted:

True, but even if it developed into a criminal case and he was found guilty, a formal extradition request was issued, and he had no legal immunity, I'd be interested to see what happened if he just... said no. Somehow I just can't see plod knocking on the front door of one of the Queen's kids and marching them to the airport in handcuffs.

He'll win Prince Michael of Sealand in a duel and become the ruler and live happily everafter in his sovereign princedom.