Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Darchangel posted:

...really? Because that was the worst SBC.

I agree, but I stumble upon their ramblings on random forums when I'm looking for 383 discussions and whatever. They're not common, but they're out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Darchangel posted:

...really? Because that was the worst SBC.

Actually, it wasn't. The Chevy 307 (a different motor than the Olds 307) was worse than the 305. The Chevy 302 was brought up earlier, which was a 327 with a 283 crank. The 307 was the opposite side of that coin, a 283 with a 327 crank.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Q_res posted:

Actually, it wasn't. The Chevy 307 (a different motor than the Olds 307) was worse than the 305. The Chevy 302 was brought up earlier, which was a 327 with a 283 crank. The 307 was the opposite side of that coin, a 283 with a 327 crank.

You can absolutely make power with a 307 or 305, but the question is why? You are essentially forced to use small-bore-specific aftermarket cylinder heads, since GM never made a decent head for the small-bore engines. And if you’re buying brand new heads, why not junk the short block and start with a 4in bore that will support “normal” performance heads, and make a ton more power for the same or less money. Really cheap 350 cores are finally starting to dry up now, (replaced with gen3/4/5 cores) but even into the early aughts they were dirt cheap and loving EVERYWHERE. It just never made sense to waste your time with the small-bore SBCs unless you had no other option.

Now that gen3/4/5 engines are cheap and plentiful, there is even less reason to mess with the budget gen1 smallblocks. A $300 truck 4.8 from the junkyard with literally no changes makes more power than just about any gen1 ever built save the really special ones. (Z/28 302, some of the 60’s hi-po 327s, 70/71 LT1, maybe the 90s TBI 350s.)

It’s the same reason the Gen2 small blocks disappeared. They were fine at the time; Some were even exciting, but there is more power to be had, and it’s better, more reliable, and cheaper.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Darchangel posted:

gently caress no. LS that bitch and grow a mullet.
That teal was the best color. A friend had an RS in that color. All of the appearance of a Z28, none of the horsepower (such as it was.) His was at least a manual.

I had a ‘92 teal RS, but it had an auto. Can confirm the above.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So what if instead of selling cars, you got the money to cash in on the pandemic price spike by getting millions from investors to sell used cars? And what if you used to be a car rental dude at Petersen International Airport in Toronto? And what if you just vanished with all that speculator money?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/businessman-accused-ponzi-scheme-1.6306466

quote:

Mark E. Cohen, who previously worked in the rental car industry at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, hasn't been seen at his North York home since August, according to documents filed with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. The documents also say that he hasn't been in contact with investors for months.

While some of those investors have turned to the courts to challenge Cohen, others have taken matters into their own hands, CBC News has learned.

According to a source familiar with the situation, who is not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, some individuals with ties to illegal gambling rings in Woodbridge, north of Toronto, have made late-night visits to the 46-year-old's former home, and the homes of his family members, making violent threats and demanding to know Cohen's whereabouts to get their money back.

Cohen is facing three lawsuits accusing him of convincing investors to help him buy used cars that would be resold at huge profits amid the pandemic-triggered vehicle shortage last year.

[...]

Investors were promised returns of as much as 13 per cent a month on their investments. Some handed over more than $5 million before Cohen allegedly disappeared with their money, according to civil court filings. In total, lawyers for the plaintiffs allege Cohen stole more than $12 million.

There are also two other businessmen who are being sued as part of this, but it's completely unclear if one or both of them are bistanders in this.

quote:

Cohen and others began contacting investors to pitch what they said would be a lucrative business venture in the fall of 2020, according to a statement of claim filed last month.

He and others allegedly promised he would be able to purchase used vehicles from rental companies across Canada. They included Jeeps, Toyota Camrys, Honda Civics and BMW X3s bought at below market value, according to the court documents.

The alleged plan was to resell them to dealerships [ed note:???] at significantly higher prices to generate "extraordinary returns on investment," the statement of claim says.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Nebakenezzer posted:

So what if instead of selling cars, you got the money to cash in on the pandemic price spike by getting millions from investors to sell used cars? And what if you used to be a car rental dude at Petersen International Airport in Toronto? And what if you just vanished with all that speculator money?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/businessman-accused-ponzi-scheme-1.6306466

There are also two other businessmen who are being sued as part of this, but it's completely unclear if one or both of them are bistanders in this.

So a bunch of scalpers wanted to drive up the price of used cars even higher, so a guy took all their money? We must find this man, so I can buy him a beer

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I liked the bit about “individuals from Woodbridge with ties to illegal gambling”. Woodbridge is a very Italian suburb north of Toronto

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

MrYenko posted:

You can absolutely make power with a 307 or 305, but the question is why? You are essentially forced to use small-bore-specific aftermarket cylinder heads, since GM never made a decent head for the small-bore engines. And if you’re buying brand new heads, why not junk the short block and start with a 4in bore that will support “normal” performance heads, and make a ton more power for the same or less money. Really cheap 350 cores are finally starting to dry up now, (replaced with gen3/4/5 cores) but even into the early aughts they were dirt cheap and loving EVERYWHERE. It just never made sense to waste your time with the small-bore SBCs unless you had no other option.

It’s the same reason the Gen2 small blocks disappeared. They were fine at the time; Some were even exciting, but there is more power to be had, and it’s better, more reliable, and cheaper.

I kept the original 307 in my Chevelle when I rebuilt it. I still need to dyno it, it's been in storage for years.

We overbuilt it, and had the heads completely reworked. It certainly was a interesting project but not something that makes any sense to do now, 20 years later.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I liked the bit about “individuals from Woodbridge with ties to illegal gambling”. Woodbridge is a very Italian suburb north of Toronto

Listen, it's as close as it gets to saying "Italian Mafia" in tyool 20022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Erulisse posted:

Listen, it's as close as it gets to saying "Italian Mafia" in tyool 20022

How hosed are we 18000 years in the future?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
But in retrospect, every Italian I've ever met, thinks they are somehow connected to the mafia.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nitrox posted:

But in retrospect, every Italian I've ever met, thinks they are somehow connected to the mafia.

A long time ago I had this super Italian guy who never dropped the mob-ish act as a manager. He used to pay me to bring him lunch paper bags with random junk (like useless stuff) in it while he was out at restaurants with friends. Legit walk in, hand it to him, and walk out.

poo poo was weird

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

speaking of engine swaps

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-1976-triumph-spitfire-small/7431285899.html

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 11, 2022

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

KillHour posted:

How hosed are we 18000 years in the future?

Same poo poo actually. After the nuclear wars of 2053 it took humanity 17960 years to come around to almost dying again from corporate nuclear wars. Oval earthers are conjoining CORVID-20k deniers at protests.
Ah, no moon station yet if you were wondering. At least the hazmats are cheap, so that's something I guess.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Erulisse posted:

Same poo poo actually. After the nuclear wars of 2053 it took humanity 17960 years to come around to almost dying again from corporate nuclear wars. Oval earthers are conjoining CORVID-20k deniers at protests.
Ah, no moon station yet if you were wondering. At least the hazmats are cheap, so that's something I guess.

Where does the Fino-Korean Hyperwar fit into this?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

I'm trying to add up some parts to see if there is $2,000 worth, and still don't see it. The car itself is swiss cheese of rust and tape. Not eligible for demolition derby entry unless you spend another thousand for basic safety. The engine and transmission are plentiful and useless, thus ultimately worthless. Love it!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This tempts a secret, dark part of me

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Erulisse posted:

Getting a car you like on the road is imo way more important than any dumb purity. Unless it's an easier way, or an unique trim etc.
Finding parts for old inline 3 fartbox '69 < just putting something working and cool in there.
Except for porsches. Always swap a porsche because gently caress these elitist and their special kind of pUrItY

Been a while since I've looked this car up...

http://www.v8porsche.com/

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The miles are low because it has been sitting in a garage, broken and waiting for its owner to scrounge together parts money.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

lordofthefishes posted:

Been a while since I've looked this car up...

http://www.v8porsche.com/
The best thing about that car is the $50 Fuzion tires connecting 8.2L of fury to the ground.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

The best thing about that car is the $50 Fuzion tires connecting 8.2L of fury to the ground.

There aren't a ton of options that work on 15x7/8 Fuchs. Those are actually reasonably decent. I've run several sets of them.

E: He's also probably roasting rear pairs on the reg.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 12, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

PBCrunch posted:

The miles are low because it has been sitting in a garage, broken and waiting for its owner to scrounge together parts money.
having lived this experience with three separate audis, two of them C5 A6s, i am still a desperate slut for this car. i fucken want it. give me pain audi daddy

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

There aren't a ton of options that work on 15x7/8 Fuchs. Those are actually reasonably decent. I've run several sets of them.

Why? Is it the sidewall height? 245/40/15 has gotten a few decent options in the last year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Why? Is it the sidewall height? 245/40/15 has gotten a few decent options in the last year.

I haven't been shopping for that size for a while, so maybe it's better now. But 5-7 years ago you had those and a bunch of really bad all season choices. They were basically the only thing Tirerack had/would recommend. With a gigantic warning that they are the wrong speed rating.

Plenty of track tires were available, but most of them weren't DOT and you wouldn't want to be driving them on the road anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

I haven't been shopping for that size for a while, so maybe it's better now. But 5-7 years ago you had those and a bunch of really bad all season choices. They were basically the only thing Tirerack had/would recommend. With a gigantic warning that they are the wrong speed rating.

Plenty of track tires were available, but most of them weren't DOT and you wouldn't want to be driving them on the road anyway.

Ah, yeah, I hear you there, for sure choice sucked even two years ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Motronic posted:

With the V8, probably going to just be roasting them non-stop no matter what tire is on there. Might as well use cheap ones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Erulisse posted:

Lame I was promised super mutants.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/449826129891786/

I know exactly why I have this boner

e: lol

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

take a scantool with you. give that 'ol scrolling finger a workout

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Anybody want to give me $10k?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a custom Metropolitan going through Barrett Jackson this month grafted onto an RX7 Chassis.

https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1954-NASH-METROPOLITAN-CUSTOM-ROADSTER-RX-NASH-252147

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Kilonum posted:

Anybody want to give me $10k?

hit up Dunkin Donuts?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

also
quite curious regarding how the steering geometry works on cars like this. are the wheels simply set further inside the body than the pictures show?

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Powershift posted:

There's a custom Metropolitan going through Barrett Jackson this month grafted onto an RX7 Chassis.

https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1954-NASH-METROPOLITAN-CUSTOM-ROADSTER-RX-NASH-252147

How high was the guy who thought this up

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Nobody knows for sure due to the drugs involved.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

"late model" RX-7 chassis? That's a first-gen. 1984 at the newest.
Not terrible, though.

edit:

Kilonum posted:

Nobody knows for sure due to the drugs involved.

But yeah, that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

"late model" RX-7 chassis? That's a first-gen. 1984 at the newest.
Not terrible, though.

edit:

But yeah, that.

People in the circles that are working a Nash consider anything built after 1972 to be a “late model.”

Don’t think to hard about the fact that a 1984 RX7 is older now than a 1973 Nova was when that distinction started being drawn.

:corsair:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...90-7bef775d2e95

edit: only saving grace is that with the cams removed, it might have saved the bores from water intrusion. Maybe.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 21, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.manheimedmonton.com/automotive-recreational-sales/details/cars/2022-01-29/2007-bmw-3-series-139186/

the basketiest of basket cases but AWD Manual wagon and it should go for like $1000.

Super suspicious of the mileage though with vehicle history in Ontario and BC with no mileage reporting coming until being registered in NWT, and a super worn out engine start button.

There's also a BRZ with hail damage and an engine knock at the same auction that could go cheap, but not like, powershift cheap.

https://www.manheimedmonton.com/automotive-recreational-sales/details/cars/2022-01-29/2013-scion-fr-s-139135/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeaaaaaaaah, sure. Full price. Totally legit. In this current market.

edit: and the listing disappeared before I could grab the URL (trimmed it to shorten and it no longer worked, and couldn't go back.)
But I found it listed in Dallas instead of Plano, now:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/636495514465960

edit 2: I missed the most important part of this troll:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 21, 2022