Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've been reading 20th century boys lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0TAsEjUpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress the first episode of Kaiba was dense. might not be able to just binge through this one with all the stuff going on in this world

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 12, 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
are you also watching it at 1.2x playback speed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Strange Quark posted:

are you also watching it at 1.2x playback speed
nah. i think the only time i played anime above 1x speed was when i was stuck on a bus/train for 32 hours and wanted to binge as much as i could. if i'm watching at home i watch at regular speed like a normie

also idk if apps like crunchyroll or funi even allow that, i've never looked into it but i assume not. youtube might? but no one puts their anime on youtube anymore other than nozomi

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i watched an episode of Pop Team Epic at 0.5x and only noticed half-way through

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

try watching other yuasa masterpiece tatami galaxy at 1.2x speed if you dare

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm trying Selector Infected Wixoss on the advice of the same posts that recommended Granbelm and, I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to stick with it. It's making me laugh rather than empathize when you have things like the unspeakably cruel battling style causing the opponent to have a nervous breakdown being, making them discard a card lol. also I have no idea how this game works so rather than having any basis for understanding what's going on I'm just sort of listening to characters say who's winning as my entire interaction with what's happening

the parts when they're not actively playing the card game are neat, at least so I'll try to stick with it a bit longer to see if those specific, narrow complaints (low stakes being exaggerated to the point of unintentional comedy; not having any diea what's going on in the battles) start being improved as it goes on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The card game is super not important and just works as an emotional metaphor for the characters. they never explain the rules cause they dont matter. Dont focus on them at all just focus on the character stuff during them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

As in not even in the yugioh sense where the way characters play the game informs their characters i mean literally dont pay attention to whos drawing what or whatever the show doesnt care at all.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also from memory the first part of wixoss first cour felt very by the numbers and then by the end of the first cour/cliffhanger into second half is when i realized i'd been hooked

couldnt speak to the spinoff/reboot/whatever but i heard it also went places too

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It went to the places of putting the card game front and center but still not explaining anything so it's hard to follow and hard to care

I guess it better serves the purpose of actually advertising the cards and coincides with the seven years late english tcg localization, but there was like no marketing on that front either

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

wasn't there an online client at one point that had a fanmade english patch and custom server or am i misremembering things

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The 7th Guest posted:

gently caress the first episode of Kaiba was dense. might not be able to just binge through this one with all the stuff going on in this world

The first time I watched Kaiba, I had to rewatch the first 3 episodes before continuing on to episode 4 because there's a couple blink and you'll miss it bits that are super important with understanding the plot and characters, and I was getting more and more confused. It gets easier to understand past that though, and Is overall a worthwhile watch.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

try watching other yuasa masterpiece tatami galaxy at 1.2x speed if you dare

That's what the N1 test should be

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah, Kaiba has a ton going on, gets really heavy sometimes, and has a lot of stuff where the full significance is only apparent later

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...n-house/.181396

Neat short article, explains that shueisha takes into account how well series are doing on the manga plus app globally to determine if something should get an anime adaptation.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

It went to the places of putting the card game front and center but still not explaining anything so it's hard to follow and hard to care

I guess it better serves the purpose of actually advertising the cards and coincides with the seven years late english tcg localization, but there was like no marketing on that front either

Lostorage doesn't really try to make the card game more important than the first series it just tries to recreate the character moments of the first series but doesn't get how or why it worked and ends up failing at it pretty badly. The second Lostorage tries to correct it by using the really good emotional beats of a spin off magna from Selector but it still really doesn't come together well

Diva Live is the one that tries to more sell the game by trying to capture the feel of a kids show card game anime while being a late night show. It doesn't work at all and is not good but it is better than Lostorage!

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
where's the tcg show paced like kaiji

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yugioh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Lostorage doesn't really try to make the card game more important than the first series it just tries to recreate the character moments of the first series but doesn't get how or why it worked and ends up failing at it pretty badly. The second Lostorage tries to correct it by using the really good emotional beats of a spin off magna from Selector but it still really doesn't come together well

Diva Live is the one that tries to more sell the game by trying to capture the feel of a kids show card game anime while being a late night show. It doesn't work at all and is not good but it is better than Lostorage!
i didnt bother finishing lostorage when it started introducing the selector characters because like, the selector characters all basically done. they dont need more stuff. feels like desperation.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1481212074516754435?s=20

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
*Jurassic Park quote about doing things because you can and not because you should*

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

The card game is super not important and just works as an emotional metaphor for the characters. they never explain the rules cause they dont matter. Dont focus on them at all just focus on the character stuff during them.

I will try but it won't stop being funny that someone is having an emotional breakdown because their opponent cast thoughtsieze

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I suspect the emotional breakdown is more from the part where Aki exposes their wish and makes fun of it in front of everyone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

I suspect the emotional breakdown is more from the part where Aki exposes their wish and makes fun of it in front of everyone
yeah that feels like you aren't quite following it. the part that's bothering her isnt taht she discarded a card (the mechanical effect) its that she had her private wish pointed out and poked at (the emotional effect)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the breakdown was starting before that point, with all the spectating characters going "how cruel", over thoughtsieze. It really pulled me out of it before the part you're describing even started a few minutes later

still, I will endeavor to be in a mental space where I let that wash over me in future episodes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
is violet evergarden good

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I thought it was just okay. it looks pretty though!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked some individual episodes and the side story movie but thought it became bad anytime it dug into the "main plot" or war stuff

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

i didnt bother finishing lostorage when it started introducing the selector characters because like, the selector characters all basically done. they dont need more stuff. feels like desperation.

The second lostorage very much felt like that. Really should for just focused on Piruluk/Kiyoi but nope had to try and fix the mess that was lostorage's ending

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mycophobia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxCMyLm6js

First character sums it up. It's fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycophobia posted:

there's some good individual episodes and the first movie is really good. but it doesnt really come together that well and the second movie is eh.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah that feels like you aren't quite following it. the part that's bothering her isnt taht she discarded a card (the mechanical effect) its that she had her private wish pointed out and poked at (the emotional effect)
*nods* Like when your opponent casts Thoughtseize on you and sees that you've kept a terrible hand.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Irony Be My Shield posted:

*nods* Like when your opponent casts Thoughtseize on you and sees that you've kept a terrible hand.

better to just resign

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Clearly they need to make an anime for Wizard's Soul ~Holy War of Love~ and then confuse the hell out of everybody with an internally consistant card game that doesn't exist.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

mycophobia posted:

really pretty but bored me (and even then, sometimes it was trying so hard to be pretty that i felt it kinda went overboard)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

her name was violet evergarden

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I liked Violet Evergarden a lot.

It seems like most other people thought it was mediocre though. :shrug:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mentat Radnor posted:

I liked Violet Evergarden a lot.

It seems like most other people thought it was mediocre though. :shrug:

whats the manga in your av again? i used to read it but forgot about it, gotta add it back to my list and catch up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

marumaru posted:

whats the manga in your av again? i used to read it but forgot about it, gotta add it back to my list and catch up

Kase-San &

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kase-san