Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Halloween Jack posted:

Trinity was a program until she was 45 years old?

This Trinity's family (ie: party) was evil robots, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well no; you are arguing that Trinity wasn't reincarnated at all - that, beneath all the appearances, she remains bound to the same meat (carne). In this view, there is only one 90-something woman whose mind has been (repeatedly?) wiped, implanted with false memories, and uploaded into a virtual universe by a Cartesian demon for the purposes of torture. This woman-of-extradimensional-flesh has never actually touched a motorcycle, and ends the film lying in a chair someplace. We never actually do see what happens to her. (What's life like in the strawberry farm? Isn't it established that she and Neo will explode and kill everyone nearby if they hug?)

But the error here is illustrative: you do understand that this is the story of reincarnation and journeys between worlds, because that is how the narrative is presented and how the Tiffany/Trinity character sees things. Even at the end, she gets angry at Chad, and her stupid mother, etc. - characters who never existed 'in the flesh'.

So, to return to the more basic point, the issue with your plot-based reading is not that it's technologically impossible; you can invent any 'indistinguishable-from-magic' technology you'd like to explain things away (just as fictionkin make recourse to infinite universes). Neo doesn't explode because they reversed the polarity on the tachyon emitters, whatever. The issue is the fantasmatic falsity of the reading. Like, I have yet to encounter a single person who looks upon the "real world" communities of Zion or IO and says "yeah, I'm totally like these medical hackers in the sewers, beset by the millions of flying robots".

Trinity was literally re-incarnated in that she was killed and then medically resurrected, kinda like the protagonist of Mass Effect 2. That's why the motorcycle repairwoman has inchoate memories of being a super-powered terrorist; she actually was. This is important for the same reason that she gets mad at the programs who were play-acting as her long-term family members: the matrix is not just a demiurgic illusion to be denied and escaped, but a place in which one's life and identity are important in their own right. She and Neo don't explode on contact because they have what you could call a very specialized form of computer telepathy, not pyrokinesis.

Now, it's true: this is a story in which A) a character has a dimly-remembered past life and B) that past life has been disguised as fiction (instead of simply hidden on a series of scrolls in a cave or something). So, what you're saying isn't ridiculous. However, I do think what you're saying is ridicule, in that you are casting an otherwise unremarkable lost-memories-return plot point as though it makes the film chiefly about a contemporary online subculture at the exclusion of longer-standing leftist themes.

Separately, it's weird to claim that there aren't people who identify with the Zion/Io characters and then in a followup post compare them (aptly, I think) to a bunch of other media featuring hidden refugee civilizations. Then you've got stuff like Hunger Games or Harry Potter or whatever which at least feature episodes in which the characters are laying low and roughing it - and, of course, right-wing fantasies about having to go to ground when the NWO comes knocking.

MLSM posted:

The funniest thing about Matrix 4 is how it’s ostensibly an anti-capitalist film by explicitly turning the matrix into a metaphor for capitalism (via the analyst) while still placing an emphasis on maintaining rugged individual identity — a fundamental contradiction.

On the contrary, particularistic struggles and identity politics are often as or more revolutionary than bread and butter wage increases or whatever, c.f. Vladimir Lenin.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MLSM posted:

The funniest thing about Matrix 4 is how it’s ostensibly an anti-capitalist film by explicitly turning the matrix into a metaphor for capitalism (via the analyst) while still placing an emphasis on maintaining rugged individual identity — a fundamental contradiction.

Well, it's because the matrix has never actually been a metaphor for capitalism.

Since things have been kinda veering off track in recent discussion, let's move back to the basics: what if we're in the matrix right now?? Like, specifically Matrix 4's incarnation (which is, conveniently, also the fourth fully-rebooted matrix).

If we go by the protagonists of Matrix 4, we need to track down these messianic figures and... get them to bang? Doing so will accomplish... something?

Of course, there is some mystical stuff about how Neo is the embodiment of the source code so, if he himself is happier, then so will be the universe around him. Feel good, get your groove back.... As in the end of Caddyshack, we're all gonna get laid!

But, in the context of the series, Neo and Trinity are transparently intended to replace the deleted programs Architect and Oracle. "If I am the father of the matrix, she would undoubtedly be its mother." Matrix 3 ended with the restoration of the cosmic family unit, and Matrix 4's similar ending is contextualized by Lana Wachowski's candid interview about her parents' deaths.

And there's nothing anticapitalistic here. A basic premise is that Matrix movies 1-3 were "the truth" that the machines are attempting to suppress, with the restoration of the cosmic family being a renewal and reaffirmation of that truth. But those forbidden texts presented just a bog-standard liberalism. Even in Ferrinus' hyperliteralistic take, the message is that free-market capitalism isn't so bad, compared to being foreverially tied up by hell squids.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The matrix films were always about individuals and how each person is valuable and can make a difference. The first film is the more typical messiah story, but even here Neo needed trinity and the love of an individual.

The second and third reject the notion the messiah and demonstrate how systems use messiah stories to demand sacrifice and control. This could be working overtime for your company or dying in battle for your country. But Neo rejects this and chooses to save trinity and the individual vs humanity as a whole.

Niobe further states this in revolutions when Morpheus states she never believed in the one. “No, but I believed in him (neo the human.” Victory isn’t achieved by wiping out the matrix, instead it’s learning to live in harmony with it and recognize the importance of each.

Resurrections continues this. Neo does not get to trinity without significant help. He can’t even fly now. And trinity must choose, she can’t be forced. And together they again don’t wipe out the matrix, but choose to try to find ways to improve it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

checkplease posted:

The matrix films were always about individuals and how each person is valuable and can make a difference. The first film is the more typical messiah story, but even here Neo needed trinity and the love of an individual.

The second and third reject the notion the messiah and demonstrate how systems use messiah stories to demand sacrifice and control. This could be working overtime for your company or dying in battle for your country. But Neo rejects this and chooses to save trinity and the individual vs humanity as a whole.

Niobe further states this in revolutions when Morpheus states she never believed in the one. “No, but I believed in him (neo the human.” Victory isn’t achieved by wiping out the matrix, instead it’s learning to live in harmony with it and recognize the importance of each.

Resurrections continues this. Neo does not get to trinity without significant help. He can’t even fly now. And trinity must choose, she can’t be forced. And together they again don’t wipe out the matrix, but choose to try to find ways to improve it.

Okay but, with those generalities established and out of the way: what are you actually talking about? Improving war?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Okay but, with those generalities established and out of the way: what are you actually talking about? Improving war?

So I mostly agree with you that this film is not trying to take down capitalism. It seems to critique aspects like the analyst but notably doesn’t remove him or the matrix system. Rather it accepts the current society , but pushes for direct action by neo and trinity to make the matrix a better place (rainbows in the sky, free minds again). Specifics are not given ,yes, but this is not unlike ideas that we can have our current capitalism and health care for all. It’s an optimistic call for individual action guided by love for others.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Well, it's because the matrix has never actually been a metaphor for capitalism.

Since things have been kinda veering off track in recent discussion, let's move back to the basics: what if we're in the matrix right now?? Like, specifically Matrix 4's incarnation (which is, conveniently, also the fourth fully-rebooted matrix).

If we go by the protagonists of Matrix 4, we need to track down these messianic figures and... get them to bang? Doing so will accomplish... something?

Of course, there is some mystical stuff about how Neo is the embodiment of the source code so, if he himself is happier, then so will be the universe around him. Feel good, get your groove back.... As in the end of Caddyshack, we're all gonna get laid!

But, in the context of the series, Neo and Trinity are transparently intended to replace the deleted programs Architect and Oracle. "If I am the father of the matrix, she would undoubtedly be its mother." Matrix 3 ended with the restoration of the cosmic family unit, and Matrix 4's similar ending is contextualized by Lana Wachowski's candid interview about her parents' deaths.

And there's nothing anticapitalistic here. A basic premise is that Matrix movies 1-3 were "the truth" that the machines are attempting to suppress, with the restoration of the cosmic family being a renewal and reaffirmation of that truth. But those forbidden texts presented just a bog-standard liberalism. Even in Ferrinus' hyperliteralistic take, the message is that free-market capitalism isn't so bad, compared to being foreverially tied up by hell squids.

Okay, first off, the basic takeaway of all four movie is that capitalism is being foreverially tied up by hell squids.

As of Resurrections, there isn't actually a "truth" that the machines are attempting to suppress. The Analyst states this flatly; while his predecessor was concerned with controlling facts and keeping secrets, the Analyst knows that humans are both kept more docile and exploited more efficiently if they're mired in anxiety and desperation completely regardless of what the facts are. That's why the new matrix is constantly winking and lampshading the fact that it is a matrix: the history of the Zion/01 war publicized as a video game series, "Simulatte", etc. The Architect's agreement that anyone who wants out gets to leave is actually in effect; it's just that many people don't want out (though plenty do, or at least once did, hence the high NPC population). So the question isn't, any more, how can we get everyone to understand how bad capitalism is? It is, instead, why is it that everyone keeps waking up and going to work every day despite it being blindly obvious and indeed available for public consumption how bad capitalism is?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, first off, the basic takeaway of all four movie is that capitalism is being foreverially tied up by hell squids.

As of Resurrections, there isn't actually a "truth" that the machines are attempting to suppress. The Analyst states this flatly; while his predecessor was concerned with controlling facts and keeping secrets, the Analyst knows that humans are both kept more docile and exploited more efficiently if they're mired in anxiety and desperation completely regardless of what the facts are. That's why the new matrix is constantly winking and lampshading the fact that it is a matrix: the history of the Zion/01 war publicized as a video game series, "Simulatte", etc. The Architect's agreement that anyone who wants out gets to leave is actually in effect; it's just that many people don't want out (though plenty do, or at least once did, hence the high NPC population). So the question isn't, any more, how can we get everyone to understand how bad capitalism is? It is, instead, why is it that everyone keeps waking up and going to work every day despite it being blindly obvious and indeed available for public consumption how bad capitalism is?

That would mean that Neo and Trinity are the only two people in the entire world who don't know the matrix is a simulation, and that everyone else is just not telling them for some reason.

Having the story of Neo and Trinity's life be an in-matrix videogame is a mechanism of control that only works because the people it's controlling (the two of them) are made to believe it's fiction. That needs everyone else in the matrix to also consider it fiction, otherwise it'd get found out as soon as the first person not in on the scheme meets Neo.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 12, 2022

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

HorseLord posted:

That would mean that Neo and Trinity are the only two people in the entire world who don't know the matrix is a simulation, and that everyone else is just not telling them for some reason.

Having the story of Neo and Trinity's life be an in-matrix videogame is a mechanism of control that only works because the people it's controlling (the two of them) are made to believe it's fiction. That needs everyone else in the matrix to also consider it fiction, otherwise it'd get found out as soon as the first person not in on the scheme meets Neo.

In the first place, that's why their lives are heavily micromanaged by an entire platoon of subsidiary programs. In the second place, something being obvious isn't the same thing as something being officially recognized or likely to be acknowledged or discussed in polite/high-class company. To reuse an example from earlier in the thread, "We live in a simulation" is like "Epstein didn't kill himself". No one's ever going to say it on the nightly news and everyone's going to carry on like it isn't true, but that's not the same as it actually being a secret.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

the history of the Zion/01 war

Oh I just got the IO/01 gag.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The decision to splice in actual footage from the 1999 film into Resurrections like the movie has to generate trailer-tier sequel hype while your sweaty arse is already firmly in the cinema seat is bafflingly embarrasing for Lana.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ferrinus posted:

In the first place, that's why their lives are heavily micromanaged by an entire platoon of subsidiary programs. In the second place, something being obvious isn't the same thing as something being officially recognized or likely to be acknowledged or discussed in polite/high-class company. To reuse an example from earlier in the thread, "We live in a simulation" is like "Epstein didn't kill himself". No one's ever going to say it on the nightly news and everyone's going to carry on like it isn't true, but that's not the same as it actually being a secret.

In our actual world both Neil deGrasse Tyson and Elon Musk have said we live in a simulation. But them saying it doesn't really matter or do anything. If we did live in the matrix the machines could point to that sort of thing easily as like "listen, we did our side of the deal, we had the richest guy on earth and a big famous astronomer both announce it, nothing more we can do!"

I think that is where matrix 4 is. People can say "we live in a simulation.... MAAAN" but it's almost a theological point. Distant and unimportant and unreal. Like in the old matrix it was secret secret. In the new matrix some scientist watching light bounce off a black hole could calculate the 4th derivative of some gravity wave and then write a boring paper saying mass is quantized in a way that indicates digital properties or whatever while no one cares in a real life way.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh my god it's literally started:

https://kotaku.com/the-metaverse-is-already-here-for-cows-and-it-s-very-sa-1848335331

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Mootrix is, you have to see it for yourself.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

...In order to change a human being... into this.

*Heaves, struggling as he lifts a giant jug full of milk to show Neo*

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Archer666 posted:

...In order to change a human being... into this.

*Heaves, struggling as he lifts a giant jug full of milk to show Neo*

Someone please photoshop the reveal of Morpheus but with a milk mustache

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In our actual world both Neil deGrasse Tyson and Elon Musk have said we live in a simulation. But them saying it doesn't really matter or do anything. If we did live in the matrix the machines could point to that sort of thing easily as like "listen, we did our side of the deal, we had the richest guy on earth and a big famous astronomer both announce it, nothing more we can do!"

I think that is where matrix 4 is. People can say "we live in a simulation.... MAAAN" but it's almost a theological point. Distant and unimportant and unreal. Like in the old matrix it was secret secret. In the new matrix some scientist watching light bounce off a black hole could calculate the 4th derivative of some gravity wave and then write a boring paper saying mass is quantized in a way that indicates digital properties or whatever while no one cares in a real life way.

precisely why comparing simulation theory to otherkin is reckless at best, straight-up evil at worst. completely useless thought peddled by charlatans and grifters has no business being conflated with identity and the actualization of self. who cares what dark energy/matter is; we clap for lana for 'jeering' warner brothers in her fatalistic 'love' story and exclaim how 'powerful' it is for 'our' community. like, no

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Right, I think this is the takeaway from the general world of the movie and from the Analyst's gloating. The Architect was really concerned with seamless secrecy because of a kind of idealism you could probably also locate in the original Morpheus: if people only knew, they'd wake up! But if that were the case, the mere existence of https://www.marxists.org should have brought the American empire to its knees years ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
they should have called it Matrix: Sunk Cost Fallacy

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dark matter pisses me the hell off and simulation theory is right up there with it.

"There's an invisible and imperceptible reason that I'm not wrong" has been used to justify stupid, dangerous poo poo from the crusades, phrenology, to believing the Earth being the centre of the universe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
what annoys me about simulation theory is when they spout the math nonsense "oh well if there's one reality and billions of sims then QED we're in the matrix"

and i'm just like there are/have been/will be infinite realities. you buffoon. you absolute moron.

i was driving to dollar general this morning and it really fully hit me that like in a liiteral and actual sense the entire universe is just my own perception, like even if there is an alpha centauri it's still true that everything i know about it is just stuff in my brain and like, wow, cool, so what do i win?

and you know what, u don't win a prize or nothin. ultimate cosmic enlightenment is BUNK

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
like for real just take the stupid blue pill if u have the choice

it's just not worth it lmao

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The thing is that there's nothing cool outside the cave.

Oh no we're looking at shadows of shapes and it's not real ok oh no and shakes don't have milk in them.

At least matrix people got robot squids and raves. You figure out this is fake and still need to poo poo and get to work on time.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Without going back to read through the last 40 pages has there been a good take on why the new crew are all visually blue-pilled?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

moths posted:

Dark matter pisses me the hell off

the gently caress lol

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vitamin P posted:

Without going back to read through the last 40 pages has there been a good take on why the new crew are all visually blue-pilled?

It's honestly a good question

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

moths posted:

Dark matter pisses me the hell off
this sounds like a miss understanding of what dark matter & energy are or why they are theorized to exist

edit: Dark matter isn't a case of "our theory didn't match observation so we made up something to fill the gap". Rather, gravitational observations imply the presence of a whole lot of matter we can't detect via interaction with electromagnetic fields, i.e. different kinds of observations give us different answers as to how much stuff is in the universe. So this unknown stuff is called dark matter cause we can't see it and don't know wtf it is if it exists.

Maybe some day someone will develop a Unified Field Theory which changes our understanding of gravity such that it obviates the need for the theorized dark matter. This wouldn't be some kind of "gotcha" to presence physicists, rather it would be hailed as a monumental discovery, one of the most important in human history.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 13, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

moths posted:

The thing is that there's nothing cool outside the cave.

Oh no we're looking at shadows of shapes and it's not real ok oh no and shakes don't have milk in them.

At least matrix people got robot squids and raves. You figure out this is fake and still need to poo poo and get to work on time.

my new post-rock doomcore band: We Were Promised Raves

edit: You Said There'd Be Raves

ed2: The Rave is a Lie

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Vitamin P posted:

In the original matrix trilogy, blue is the color for Zion and humans (see some of their clothes and ships). Green is well known as the matrix color. Yellow is machines/programs.

So it’s not that they are trying to look like blue pills, but rather they are strongly representing their city (IO) colors.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

this sounds like a miss understanding of what dark matter & energy are or why they are theorized to exist

edit: Dark matter isn't a case of "our theory didn't match observation so we made up something to fill the gap". Rather, gravitational observations imply the presence of a whole lot of matter we can't detect via interaction with electromagnetic fields, i.e. different kinds of observations give us different answers as to how much stuff is in the universe. So this unknown stuff is called dark matter cause we can't see it and don't know wtf it is if it exists.

It could also be that we have an imperfect or flawed understanding of gravity and it's interaction with matter.

Everything I hear about dark matter sounds like Ptolemy's little planet circles because it's just stacking an unknown unknown onto a known unknown. That's how we ended up "liberating" Afghanistan and Elon Musk, an adult, telling people we live in The Matrix.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

Well, again, you’ve got to actually do the legwork on this. It’s not enough to say that Thing A is bad and Thing B is bad, therefore they represent eachother.

Let’s say that Niobe, in IO, begins selling the strawberries for profit. She herself doesn’t grow the strawberries, but she owns the strawberry manufacturing plant, and her gardeners are paid a decent wage by IOian standards.

So: what point are the gardeners put into the pods? At what point does a squid intervene and cause this arrangement to be ‘bad’? Do we need to introduce a new tertiary reality to accommodate the new squids and new pods (as in the old speculation that the ‘real world’ is itself a simulation by even-more duplicitous machines)? We don’t even need the hypothetical strawberry-business scenario because, in the backstory of the films, capitalism obviously predates the invention of the AI.

On the flipside, we denizens of Matrix-Earth could implement full communism worldwide and this, in your view, would accomplish little or nothing. (In fact, the machines would benefit a lot more from the improved quality of life. They want as many people as they can get, living as long as possible.)

In short, it’s very easy to falsify your assertion.

So, what ‘is’ being put into a pod? Well, simply that. The good guys plug eachother into their own customized pods all the dang time. (Did you ever ask yourself what’s ‘powering’ the Nebuchadnezzar?) The image of a person being ‘jacked in’ can’t tell us much of anything without the broader context - which returns us to the point that you haven’t yet established whether the machine society is capitalist or not. Repeating that there are distinct classes isn’t enough, because that was the case with all hitherto existing society.

quote:

why is it that everyone keeps waking up and going to work every day despite it being blindly obvious and indeed available for public consumption how bad [the alien squid conspiracy] is?

It’s not actually blindly obvious at all. Like, you’re in the matrix and you encounter a coffee shop called “Simulatte”. How do we interpret this?

Diegetically, it’s a lovely pun based on a 20-year-old videogame, effectively saying that the lattes are “so good they’re unreal.” It’s lame, to the point that I don’t really buy that the franchise is as successful as it appears to be. This is the stuff of struggling small businesses. They might as well give it legally-distinct Zelda-like accoutrements and call it “Ocarina of Grinds.”

Of course, you interpret “Simulatte” as a message hidden in plain sight by the Illuminati to taunt us. The message is, like, lattes don’t actually exist. “U think that’s milk ur drinking?” So you’ve gotten dangerously close to pointing out the absurdity of your own assumptions. Why even bother with the matrix at all, at this point?

As I’ve shown, actual capitalist baddies could just start a strawberry factory in IO. Call it Nioberries. Charge people admission to plug into the hovercrafts, etc. If the squids are capitalist, there’s no need for a matrix at all.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 13, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Why even bother with the matrix at all, at this point?
:hmmyes:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Well, again, you’ve got to actually do the legwork on this. It’s not enough to say that Thing A is bad and Thing B is bad, therefore they represent eachother.

Let’s say that Niobe, in IO, begins selling the strawberries for profit. She herself doesn’t grow the strawberries, but she owns the strawberry manufacturing plant, and her gardeners are paid a decent wage by IOian standards.

So: what point are the gardeners put into the pods? At what point does a squid intervene and cause this arrangement to be ‘bad’? Do we need to introduce a new tertiary reality to accommodate the new squids and new pods (as in the old speculation that the ‘real world’ is itself a simulation by even-more duplicitous machines)? We don’t even need the hypothetical strawberry-business scenario because, in the backstory of the films, capitalism obviously predates the invention of the AI.

On the flipside, we denizens of Matrix-Earth could implement full communism worldwide and this, in your view, would accomplish little or nothing. (In fact, the machines would benefit a lot more from the improved quality of life. They want as many people as they can get, living as long as possible.)

In short, it’s very easy to falsify your assertion.

So, what ‘is’ being put into a pod? Well, simply that. The good guys plug eachother into their own customized pods all the dang time. (Did you ever ask yourself what’s ‘powering’ the Nebuchadnezzar?) The image of a person being ‘jacked in’ can’t tell us much of anything without the broader context - which returns us to the point that you haven’t yet established whether the machine society is capitalist or not. Repeating that there are distinct classes isn’t enough, because that was the case with all hitherto existing society.

It’s not actually blindly obvious at all. Like, you’re in the matrix and you encounter a coffee shop called “Simulatte”. How do we interpret this?

Diegetically, it’s a lovely pun based on a 20-year-old videogame, effectively saying that the lattes are “so good they’re unreal.” It’s lame, to the point that I don’t really buy that the franchise is as successful as it appears to be. This is the stuff of struggling small businesses. They might as well give it legally-distinct Zelda-like accoutrements and call it “Ocarina of Grinds.”

Of course, you interpret “Simulatte” as a message hidden in plain sight by the Illuminati to taunt us. The message is, like, lattes don’t actually exist. “U think that’s milk ur drinking?” So you’ve gotten dangerously close to pointing out the absurdity of your own assumptions. Why even bother with the matrix at all, at this point?

As I’ve shown, actual capitalist baddies could just start a strawberry factory in IO. Call it Nioberries. Charge people admission to plug into the hovercrafts, etc. If the squids are capitalist, there’s no need for a matrix at all.

W-wait… why are we even assuming the strawberries are being sold for profit? Am I missing something here?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

moths posted:

It could also be that we have an imperfect or flawed understanding of gravity and it's interaction with matter.
Yes that is the last part of my post, a Unified Field Theory would mean a new/modified theory of gravity which might resolve the current observational discrepancy.

moths posted:

Everything I hear about dark matter sounds like Ptolemy's little planet circles because it's just stacking an unknown unknown onto a known unknown. That's how we ended up "liberating" Afghanistan and Elon Musk, an adult, telling people we live in The Matrix.
Again this just sounds like you misunderstand what's going on here.

We can observe objects in space based on either how they interact with fundamental forces of the universe. This can be either gravity or electromagnetism (two forces which have not yet successfully been unified under a single theory). When we observe distant objects in space using both methods, the results produce a disagreement about how much stuff we are observing. It could be that both observations are correct, in which case there exists some "dark matter" which interacts with gravity but not electromagnetism. Or it could be that our understandings of one or both of these forces is inaccurate in a way that would resolve the observations. Most physicists presently think the former is the case, but some think it's the latter.

That's pretty typical science, and the answer won't be resolved until someone discovers more evidence one way or another.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ichabod Tane posted:

W-wait… why are we even assuming the strawberries are being sold for profit? Am I missing something here?

Forget it, Jake, it's SMG

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Qualia posted:

precisely why comparing simulation theory to otherkin is reckless at best, straight-up evil at worst. completely useless thought peddled by charlatans and grifters has no business being conflated with identity and the actualization of self. who cares what dark energy/matter is; we clap for lana for 'jeering' warner brothers in her fatalistic 'love' story and exclaim how 'powerful' it is for 'our' community. like, no

I don't think its reckless at all. Thinking that you're really in a simulation and thinking that you're really innately Buzz Lightyear from toy story are examples of delusions. The biggest difference is that "we really live in the matrix" is a delusion that only concerns an individual, which is why it's also called truman show syndrome. While otherkin is a delusional state reinforced by a malignant social group of other sufferers who've created their own culture.

There's something to study there because Otherkin used to be the former rather than the latter. They were the stereotypical nutters who got locked up in mental asylums because they thought they were Napoleon, but now they have the internet where they can at once aggirvate their delusions while also not risking getting institutionalized by saying their crazy poo poo out loud. A similar thing is how persicutory delusions went from being one guy thinking he was having his brain cooked by an air loom, to the online community of self declared gang stalking victims.

It's perhaps a testimony to the rareness of "we live in a simulation" as a delusion that it hasn't also become its own weird subculture or online cult.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 13, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Everyone I've known in real life who gave any weight to the simulation theory were huge dipshits who used it as a reason to not care about anyone/anything that didn't give them pleasure. Its a good mental cover for people like Musk to continue to justify being awful. Otherkinning doesn't directly invite that behavior.

e: Its kind of why the Matrix doesn't really represent the common use of simulation theory. Like other people have talked about, all of the characters are very invested in the running of the Matrix, the people inside of it and what the system means one way or the other. Nobody is going "The Matrix is just a simulation maaaaaan, chill out."

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 13, 2022

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Shiroc posted:

Everyone I've known in real life who gave any weight to the simulation theory were huge dipshits who used it as a reason to not care about anyone/anything that didn't give them pleasure. Its a good mental cover for people like Musk to continue to justify being awful. Otherkinning doesn't directly invite that behavior.

I think it does. The defining feature of a delusion is that the untrue belief causes the disruptive and harmful behavior. Mooching off your parents in your late 20s because you can't get through a job interview without referring to yourself as neko-sama is absolutely awful.

Shiroc posted:

e: Its kind of why the Matrix doesn't really represent the common use of simulation theory. Like other people have talked about, all of the characters are very invested in the running of the Matrix, the people inside of it and what the system means one way or the other. Nobody is going "The Matrix is just a simulation maaaaaan, chill out."

Probably because Elon Musk says this poo poo to magic away that he's a deeply evil man. He thinks nothing matters because if he fucks up bad enough he'll just get to wake up in the goo tank, reach in his prison pocket for a quarter and put it in the slot for another go. But the situation with the matrix is different, the consequences of the simulated actions are real, down to getting punched in the simulated face and getting a real nosebleed.

Maybe if Elon does really believe this simulation poo poo, it wouldn't count as a delusion, because the incorrect belief could cause him to do something that is beneficial instead of something harmful. For example, if he paid me twenty dollars to prove it by throwing a toaster into his bathtub. I think that would benefit all mankind.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 13, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Ichabod Tane posted:

Gotta pay your cave rave Dj’s somehow.

We definitely never saw any markets or discussions of payment in either Zion or IO. Seems more like a commune vs our modern cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

HorseLord posted:

I think it does. The defining feature of a delusion is that the untrue belief causes the disruptive and harmful behavior. Mooching off your parents in your late 20s because you can't get through a job interview without referring to yourself as neko-sama is absolutely awful.

Probably because Elon Musk says this poo poo to magic away that he's a deeply evil man. He thinks nothing matters because if he fucks up bad enough he'll just get to wake up in the goo tank, reach in his prison pocket for a quarter and put it in the slot for another go. But the situation with the matrix is different, the consequences of the simulated actions are real, down to getting punched in the simulated face and getting a real nosebleed.

Maybe if Elon does really believe this simulation poo poo, it wouldn't count as a delusion, because the incorrect belief could cause him to do something that is beneficial instead of something harmful. For example, if he paid me twenty dollars to prove it by throwing a toaster into his bathtub. I think that would benefit all mankind.

I don't know much about otherkinning but I think you're projecting the worst possible case of someone. Anyway working sucks, interviews suck, family support can be good and Neko-Sama might be a great comrade in the commune.