Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

if he has to read and undestand the book to gain its powers isnt that just. reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
How many calories and vitamins is he gaining per book? Maybe there will be a scurvy arc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That Guy Bob posted:

How many calories and vitamins is he gaining per book? Maybe there will be a scurvy arc.

His diet is mostly vitamin 'E'

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Remember in the good old days when all you had to do to be a warlock was read one grimoire?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I really want to like Grimgar. The struggle to achieve basic competence and attention to detail in the series are very much my jam, but I can't get past the sexism in the series. At least, not enough to be willing to buy up so many short novels.

Anyone know of similar low-power level stories with good detail without so much creepy sexism?

Demesne is in a completely different genre, but it does a similarly engaging job of lavishing attention on the small details with a focus on survival rather than power fantasies. The main character can be difficult to stomach, but the author does a good job of staying just this side of tolerable for me.

Hmm, I guess This Used to Be About Dungeons hits some of the same notes that I enjoyed in Grimgar, even though the characters are notably more competent than the Grimgar cast.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually like Demense a lot, but yeah, the protagonist is... I don't know. I guess you'd call that being autistic, but if you had no idea what that's actually supposed to be and just heard it made you bad with people. It's not even anti social, more like just... Deciding to not ever deal with talking to people, unless you have to. It comes off as like a kid avoiding chores, basically.

The author has an extremely severe case of anime brain poisoning too, but whatever. I can deal, it doesn't leak into the story much.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Larry Parrish posted:

I actually like Demense a lot, but yeah, the protagonist is... I don't know. I guess you'd call that being autistic, but if you had no idea what that's actually supposed to be and just heard it made you bad with people. It's not even anti social, more like just... Deciding to not ever deal with talking to people, unless you have to. It comes off as like a kid avoiding chores, basically.

The author has an extremely severe case of anime brain poisoning too, but whatever. I can deal, it doesn't leak into the story much.

I jumped ship when the author said that parents taking away a kids board game so they wouldn’t be disrupting a town meeting was theft and child abuse

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Its Rinaldo posted:

I jumped ship when the author said that parents taking away a kids board game so they wouldn’t be disrupting a town meeting was theft and child abuse

Lol. I can't tell if it's genius character writing because the protagonist is themselves similar to a dumbass child or if it's the authors dumbass brain leaking through.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

The only person in town who is bribing the character who said that paying their taxes is one of the kids. So she consistently sides with the kids on every issue, and when asked usually explains its because the kids are the only ones paying their taxes. It's psychotic but its psychotic in a way I find amusing or at least tolerable.

For me, a lot of the more insane things that character says are more a reflection of that character's backstory than the author's beliefs. Demesne certainly dances along that knife edge and I've been tempted to put it down a few times so I can certainly understand other people walking way from it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

LLSix posted:

The only person in town who is bribing the character who said that paying their taxes is one of the kids. So she consistently sides with the kids on every issue, and when asked usually explains its because the kids are the only ones paying their taxes. It's psychotic but its psychotic in a way I find amusing or at least tolerable.

For me, a lot of the more insane things that character says are more a reflection of that character's backstory than the author's beliefs. Demesne certainly dances along that knife edge and I've been tempted to put it down a few times so I can certainly understand other people walking way from it.

If it was just some crazy thought train from the wizard lady that would have been fine if eye roll worthy but no the author defended that logic as legitimate outside of the context of the world they created where only wizards can keep people alive so they can do whatever they want

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

If it was just some crazy thought train from the wizard lady that would have been fine if eye roll worthy but no the author defended that logic as legitimate outside of the context of the world they created where only wizards can keep people alive so they can do whatever they want

Oh. Yeah, that’s crazy.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Just wrapped up Way of Choices and is there anything else out there of that quality? I tried a few other WN that I can't recall the names of, other than pivot of the sky, but everything was terribly translated or too sociopathic for me. I wanted to enjoy pivot but the god awful translation kept sucking me out of the story.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Immortal-Devil Transformation is not as good but is the only thing I've read that even comes close.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

shirunei posted:

Just wrapped up Way of Choices and is there anything else out there of that quality? I tried a few other WN that I can't recall the names of, other than pivot of the sky, but everything was terribly translated or too sociopathic for me. I wanted to enjoy pivot but the god awful translation kept sucking me out of the story.

cultivation chat group and lord of the mysteries are pretty good. My house of horrors started out good but got kind of repetitive

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

shirunei posted:

You could check out the author's other stuff: https://www.novelupdates.com/nauthor/mao-ni/

I've not yet, it keeps getting pushed further down the backlog. No idea if they received translations as good as ZTJ's

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
...huh.

American Reincarnation★Love Alliance. America Was Expelled to Another World, and Reincarnated as a Blonde Haired Girl (Along With Japan♪) And Headshots Monsters With Her Gun Summon Skill! What!? The Earth’s in Danger and You Want Us To Go Back? Oh, Too Late, Die!

there's a lot going on here.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I kinda find it endearing when Japanese anime/light novel authors go this hard with the titles/premises.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

lmao

I was already laughing at the premise of the metaphysical concept of America being isekai'd and then I got faked out by the first chapter introducing Ameriko, the first female president. But imagine my glee when nope, it /was/ literally the entirety of the US

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://twitter.com/coolguyyibo/status/1474063944046321667

Almost want to read a story translated like this

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

There's an incredible translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms where everyone is translated like it's a 19th century Victorian story, including all names and places. I wish I could find it again.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

K Prime posted:

There's an incredible translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms where everyone is translated like it's a 19th century Victorian story, including all names and places. I wish I could find it again.

https://www.e-reading.club/book.php?book=93594

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

why, how, who

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
CHAPTER 18
Giving Counsels, Brewster-Rodriguez Directs A Great Victory; Braving Battlefield, Dubow-Xenos Loses An Eye.

this is absolutely incredible, and also, what the gently caress, Rodriguez

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Do not pursue Bullard-Lundmark.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
just to be clear,

This online Romance of Three Kingdoms is in its second edition. It has quite a few changes compared to the previous edition. First, some of the Latin names have changed. For example, Laurent-Xavier is the new name, instead of Xerces-Blue; Yale-Gifford becomes Yale-Perez; Raleigh-Segal becomes Raleigh-Estrada; Krom-Gunnell becomes Krom-McQueen, etc.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Giving Counsels, Brewster-Rodriguez Directs A Great Victory; Braving Battlefield, Dubow-Xenos Loses An Eye.

i'm sad that this probably doesn't fit in the thread title

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
is this the one by Charles Henry Brewitt-Taylor? is this actually the first complete translation of the book into english?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

Legend says that Star World’s million Star Names are passed on in the form of young maidens as famous existences in the Three Thousand Worlds.

Henceforth, Chen Mo heroically says as he brandishes his massive weapon at the heavens and shouts towards the beautiful but aloof Chen Qingzhi, towards the tyrannical Caesar, the tsundere Xiang Yu, the yandere Hitler, the extraordinary Chen Tuan, and other girls.

“My big stick’s hunger already can endure no longer…”

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"I Have A Raging Boner For Hitler" was not something I ever expected to see in a synopsis, but at the same time, I always knew this day would come.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i strongly suspect fgo would include sexy anime girl hitler if they thought they could get away with it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i strongly suspect fgo would include sexy anime girl hitler if they thought they could get away with it.

they probably could get away with it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao i eat tomatoes is so bad at science fiction.

Cosmic Professional Gladiator posted:

“Genetic evolution—it sounds incredible, but the theory is simple. Take a boxer for instance; his fists and bones will far exceed those of ordinary people after prolonged training. His child will also have stronger fists and bones, a virtue of his genetic heritage. This is a tiny step in the evolution of genes!

when you definitely know what evolution is. lamarck? who's that?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

lmao i eat tomatoes is so bad at science fiction.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Hellscape is literally if resident evil and doom video games had a baby that was also a litrpg.

Its not great but its not horrible and it was kinda fun going "Oh this is literally a video game with key cards and cut scenes/audio logs"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Hellscape is literally if resident evil and doom video games had a baby that was also a litrpg.

Its not great but its not horrible and it was kinda fun going "Oh this is literally a video game with key cards and cut scenes/audio logs"

quote:

i googled hellscape web novel and there were like three, please clarify as that is my terrible kind of thing

uh

and I changed the armoury code to 0452, just so you know. seeya next-- huh. hey, is someone there?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Hellscape: A Post-Apocalyptic LitRPG

Jared Mandani and 1 more

A very sloppy copy and paste of title and author.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Hellscape: A Post-Apocalyptic LitRPG

Jared Mandani and 1 more

A very sloppy copy and paste of title and author.
That wasn't even one of them. Thanks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anyway, that new iet wn is dry. dryer than ben shapiro's wife, even. every single person on earth starts playing a frankly godawful mmo because of the promise of physical enhancement, rejuvenation and longevity. all the mmo has is 5v5 matches of weapon-based martial arts combat and training for the same. that's it. the game is boring, the combat is boring, the characters are boring, the progression is boring.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

anyway, that new iet wn is dry. dryer than ben shapiro's wife, even. every single person on earth starts playing a frankly godawful mmo because of the promise of physical enhancement, rejuvenation and longevity. all the mmo has is 5v5 matches of weapon-based martial arts combat and training for the same. that's it. the game is boring, the combat is boring, the characters are boring, the progression is boring.

Perfectly targeted at capitalists though.

I will live forever because I grind forever and my numbers will go up though my routine never changes and my numbers are meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, for some reason this mmo which is used to teach the pseudo-cultivation techniques to everyone on earth that was given out for free is heavily monetized with in-game purchases.