Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This show feels like dumb fanfiction... and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Honestly, I think Danny Trejo's cameo would have been funnier if he just showed up, said nothing, was in the scene long enough for you to go "Oh hey, that's Danny Trejo", and then left.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

nine-gear crow posted:

Honestly, I think Danny Trejo's cameo would have been funnier if he just showed up, said nothing, was in the scene long enough for you to go "Oh hey, that's Danny Trejo", and then left.

i dunno, i laughed pretty hard at it "its depressed. rancor's are emotionally complex creatures."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerkface posted:

i dunno, i laughed pretty hard at it "its depressed. rancor's are emotionally complex creatures."

I’ll give it that. This was the most weirdly funny episode so far. I went into this show reluctantly like “God, please, no more Star Wars.” and have been pleasantly surprised by how un-Star Wars it is. I like it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Sash! posted:

He could have ejected!
I'm sure the parachute would catch on fire and Plo would then be impaled on something sharp.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I'm seeing a lot of complaints online about this show saying "Why does Boba Fett get his rear end kicked so much? why does he suck so bad? He just lets everyone disrespect him to his face and walk all over him!!" And you know, given BOBF is not a documentary I am coming around to the idea that maybe the show isn't quite here to tell us that boba fett is a badass amazing guy, or maybe the show is building up to him losing his poo poo and going on a rampage or whatever. The current events of the show are a little at odds with the marketing of the show, but maybe that bodes well for the latter occurring by end of season.

also after seeing all the pictures of british mods on twitter for the influence of the speeder gang i gotta say I like them a lot more.

edit: these tweets especially

https://twitter.com/LilFormers/status/1481318515802054660

https://twitter.com/MitchyDelta/status/1481366532118642690

https://twitter.com/nerdfollowing/status/1481347833307582472

the space vespa cyborg squad is good now - obviously they are VERY star wars - both because they are a reference to a popular culture of the past as well as Lucas-interest adjacent being a bunch of mod bikers.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 12, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

G-III posted:

This show feels like dumb fanfiction... and I love it.

So far RR's episodes definitely have had the "fan film" vibe. I didn't mind the vespa chase, but yeah, the pacing/speed of it was a bit off for me as well. It's whatever, you could tell RR was deliberately working on a shoestring budget lol. I really dig the idea of a cyborg hipster biker gang on Tatooine though. It's so weird.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 12, 2022

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He's either busy on Endor or dead at this point in the show.

When Boba enters town to talk to the Pikes he sees a bunch of Stormtrooper helms on, well, pikes. I took that to mean the news of Battle of Endor had recently hit Tatooine and whatever minor presence the empire had there was overrun by some crimelords/the mayor looking for a rep bump for taking credit for dismantling their presence now that there was little fear of reprisal. The Empire didn't exactly let the spice flow so I suspect the Pikes would welcome their removal the most, one fewer party to bribe at least.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I can't tell if this tweet is sarcastic or not considering the prequels have a ton of 50s drag racer imagery, which is the most boomer poo poo imaginable and 100% within Lucas's vision, hello American Graffiti and the Millennium Falcon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I can't tell if this tweet is sarcastic or not considering the prequels have a ton of 50s drag racer imagery, which is the most boomer poo poo imaginable and 100% within Lucas's vision, hello American Graffiti and the Millennium Falcon.

If you read through he is absolutely serious, I like that tweet because its a good photo of the different bikes where you can see they are all modded differently, and because its an obviously ridiculous statement.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
To be fair that one shot, if you said "what show is this" I wouldn't have said star wars.

I like the idea of the mod bikes. I just wish they were a bit more patch work.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jerkface posted:

I'm seeing a lot of complaints online about this show saying "Why does Boba Fett get his rear end kicked so much? why does he suck so bad? He just lets everyone disrespect him to his face and walk all over him!!" And you know, given BOBF is not a documentary I am coming around to the idea that maybe the show isn't quite here to tell us that boba fett is a badass amazing guy, or maybe the show is building up to him losing his poo poo and going on a rampage or whatever. The current events of the show are a little at odds with the marketing of the show, but maybe that bodes well for the latter occurring by end of season.

also after seeing all the pictures of british mods on twitter for the influence of the speeder gang i gotta say I like them a lot more.

edit: these tweets especially

https://twitter.com/LilFormers/status/1481318515802054660

https://twitter.com/MitchyDelta/status/1481366532118642690

https://twitter.com/nerdfollowing/status/1481347833307582472

the space vespa cyborg squad is good now - obviously they are VERY star wars - both because they are a reference to a popular culture of the past as well as Lucas-interest adjacent being a bunch of mod bikers.

The fact that they are themselves a pun makes it even better. What else would you call people who modify their bodies with machine parts but Mods?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
vesper the vtuber should watch fast and furious

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it must be asked when we're talking about star war grognards with strong opinions:

is he objecting to the color of the bikes or the color of the actors?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I object to watching the slowest car chase ever filmed.

Also I too have no idea what they are doing with this. This Boba Fett character who emerged from the sarlaac pit bears no resemblance to the Boba Fett we saw in the prequel trilogy and the OT. The flashbacks take place on the other end of Boba's appearance in The Mandalorian where his motivation was 'I want my armour back'. He doesn't appear to be on any kind of character journey, and to the extend he is on a mission it appears to be 'be a nice crime boss' which doesn't track with anything we know about this character. Fennec is equally a non-character.

I don't know whether they keep coming back to water as a useful measure of poverty/wealth or whether the show telling us that Tatooine used to be covered in oceans is the show slowly gearing up to pull some STAR WARS story magic on us.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Episode 1: 7.5/10

Episode 2: 10/10

Episode 3: 8.5/10

The good: holy poo poo Black Krrsantan in battle, an awesome Danny Trejo cameo, a new rancor, and the possibility of Boba riding it into battle, and the old storyline is eventually going to meet up with the Mandalorian (he'll probably find Shand's corpse in the next episode). Also, I didn't see Ninja Tusken's corpse, so hopefully she survived.

The bad: I get the premise, but the more we see Boba playing a diplomat, the less it works. This was why Episode 2 was so successful - he destroyed the biker gang, learned some Tusken moves, and stopped the Pyke train, and all around lived up to his reputation. Why is he loving around making appointments and walking into offices? Just smoke those mofos. The Vespa gang was cool but the chase itself was lackluster and the colors seemed out of place, IMO, so no points for bad execution of a good idea. The Majordomo is annoying and most scenes with him were wasted screentine after the first episode.

So, overall good but I hope that it'll regain some of the grittiness in the upcoming episodes given that we're halfway through.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Was genuinely wishing the rancor trainer would be credited with a name like Maw'Shettayy or something.

Rodriguez did promise we'd see him in space

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like how they use a hover pallet jack to move the rancor then force a dozen schlubs to carry around two slugs.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I like how they use a hover pallet jack to move the rancor then force a dozen schlubs to carry around two slugs.

The schlubs carrying the slugs is to send a message. The hover pallet jack to move the Rancor is practicality.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Episode 1: 7.5/10

Episode 2: 10/10

Episode 3: 8.5/10

Imma go

1: 5/10
2: 4/10
3: 3.5/10

But then add one extra to each for nostalgia and one extra to each because I'm a sucker for silly sci-fi/fantasy stuff and there's not enough competition for it on TV.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I truly don't understand "this is incongrouous with what we know of the character" complaints.

His whole live action appearance is defined by like 3 lines and three and a half scenes in the films. From that we learn that he is a bounty hunter, kind of clever, has a cool hat, and fell into giant evil space pussy.

Honestly we don't learn a ton about his "character" as such until Mandolorian, where we learn he is also a Mandolorian, values getting his armor back when he learns where it is, and feels honor-bound to see a deal through and help Din.

I could see that character casting about for what to do next and deciding to depose a gross goblin man and struggle to deal with weilding that power trying to be a more stand up man of action and genuine "theives honor."

The character is very bland and I'm mostly enjoying the setpieces and world building happening around him. But not really inconsistent if for no other reason than there's hitherto little to be inconsistent with.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 12, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

prequel trilogy boba is just a little kid - theres hardly any characterization there other than he got traumatized by the death of his father

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
foxy lady, some pig men, a pack of modded mods and now danny trejo the rancor whisperer, the gang is really coming together.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jerkface posted:

prequel trilogy boba is just a little kid - theres hardly any characterization there other than he got traumatized by the death of his father

And he had a laugh.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerkface posted:

They may be scooping the animated material where he's an angry devious fella. But I'm right there with you that "Boba Fett is a vicious capable badass" is fanfiction headcanon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The chase was definitely bad and needed to be at least 1.5x faster. The Mod gang isn't bad in theory but seem just so utterly out of place in the setting and story. If this was set on a more cosmopolitan world, they'd definitely fit in a lot butter, but here it feels like taking a bunch of models from Cyberpunk and dropping them into RDR2. The design aesthetic of the scooter also feel extremely off compared to the vehicles normally seen. Stuff like them having a more metallic paint instead of something more matte or textured as is more typical. They're also too curvy with panels that don't have the typical stuff (there's a term for it that I can't think of) that also tends to adorn stuff in universe

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The chase was definitely bad and needed to be at least 1.5x faster. The Mod gang isn't bad in theory but seem just so utterly out of place in the setting and story. If this was set on a more cosmopolitan world, they'd definitely fit in a lot butter, but here it feels like taking a bunch of models from Cyberpunk and dropping them into RDR2. The design aesthetic of the scooter also feel extremely off compared to the vehicles normally seen. Stuff like them having a more metallic paint instead of something more matte or textured as is more typical. They're also too curvy with panels that don't have the typical stuff (there's a term for it that I can't think of) that also tends to adorn stuff in universe

I think "greebles" is the word you're looking for?

I figure they're just imported from Naboo or Couscant or one of the other Art Deco Planets.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

the scooters are about as "off model" as anything from Naboo in the prequels, most star wars vehicles are utilitarian or military so matte paint makes sense.

this is a kit scooter gang most likely from off world repping custom bikes

the design essence makes sense imo

they also follow the general speeder bike design philosophy we have seen, smooth paneling interrupted by some "greeble" spots, you can see on the back end side of the bike they have the typical panel work of a star wars vehicle.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
hell yeah

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jerkface posted:

the scooters are about as "off model" as anything from Naboo in the prequels, most star wars vehicles are utilitarian or military so matte paint makes sense.

Yeah, it's no more egregious than Bail Organa riding around in a Tucker in Episode 3.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Check out Dookus bike from AOTC , the Vespas are like that bike had a baby with the Naboo star cruiser.

Then check the endor speeders, smooth body still but then more greebles or whatever.

Finally Enfys Nests bike from Solo is one of my all time favorites and definitely has more pure OT design sensibilities. The Vespas are pure prequel design ethos. The endor bikes end up sitting in between.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

“The Mods don’t fit Tatooine.”

They don’t want to fit in, they want to be shiny and flashy.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m surprised to NOT see people complaining about the way Boba talked to Black K.

I’m not familiar with the character, but from reading the thread, I know they have a history together. Yet the way Boba talked to him in the show, it was like they were strangers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m surprised to NOT see people complaining about the way Boba talked to Black K.

I’m not familiar with the character, but from reading the thread, I know they have a history together. Yet the way Boba talked to him in the show, it was like they were strangers.

Because 90+% of the audience's reaction to him is ALSO "wait, who the gently caress is this big badass black wookie?"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Yeah I had no idea who he was but he owns and I hope he comes back on Boba's side and wrecks some Pyke Syndicate poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fett dropped that he knew Santy was a gladiator in episode 2. He knows who he is, but when he says "no hard feelings" he's talking as someone whose been out of the bounty hunter game for at least five years at that point.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think "greebles" is the word you're looking for?

I figure they're just imported from Naboo or Couscant or one of the other Art Deco Planets.

Yeah. It needs more greebles or something or they need to be on a core world and not Tatooine.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
what if they're from mos eisley but want to look like they're from coruscant instead of a sand covered hillbilly?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah you don't necessarily put a lift kit, flood lights, and a trailer hitch on a lambo because it belongs to a rich kid in Kentucky who's trying to flex cosmopolitan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Oh god it’s worse than I thought

They’re burners