Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Doesn't bimbo/himbo imply that you're dumb but sexy? Not sure I'd apply the label to either of those two, but you do you.

I think it works as a descriptor for someone who has no actualy intrinsic valuable qualities but purely through socially constructed inertia, has social value.

Like I don't want to shag peston but his image has value because of brand notoriety, even if he himself cannot construct any actual thoughts that anybody with a brain cell would want to listen to.

Really the worst part is that it is offensive to actual dim beefcakes who might also be perfecty nice people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In Italian a bimbo is a male baby, and by extension a manbaby (like those two).

I blame the tabloids for giving it misogynistic overtones.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I said this before the other day but we, as a British people, really must stop using "nonce" literally. The comedy overtones are just too distracting when describing from one of the worst crimes. I guess in an isle that made pedophillia an institution, a funny word to describe someone who did it evolved as a coping mechanism.

Calling Andrew or whoever a nonce is just too funny for what he did. It's mocking, like kink shaming some kind of fetishist or whatever. The man is a literal [alleged] pedophile.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 12, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
yeah it's what guavanaut said, i was actually being dead clever!!!!!!!!! :hehe:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

jiggerypokery posted:

Calling Andrew or whoever a nonce is just too funny for what he did. It's mocking, like kink shaming some kind of fetishist or whatever. The man is a literal [alleged] pedophile.

I dunno was she 17 when she was in England? Who knows what the age of consent is on a private paedo island, you'd imagine they'd set it quite low.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1481310803387162626

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
lol who could possibly have a maintained a record of where michael gove's spads were on the night in question.

im starting to think this gove chap might not be on the level

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

I said this before the other day but we, as a British people, really must stop using "nonce" literally. The comedy overtones are just too distracting when describing from one of the worst crimes. I guess in an isle that made pedophillia an institution, a funny word to describe someone who did it evolved as a coping mechanism.

Making light of the worst possible things is a long running staple of British humour, and I’ll die in this hill. Save the nonce!!!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno was she 17 when she was in England? Who knows what the age of consent is on a private paedo island, you'd imagine they'd set it quite low.
Not as low as the bar

that u just lowered

with ur post

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E:^^^ NotJustANumber17

jiggerypokery posted:

The man is a literal [alleged] pedophile.

To be a pedophile you only have to think about it. Andrew is an alleged child molester. In Minecraft or whatever

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i would think her lawyers might have double checked where they stand re the age of consent and the events/locations described

he could try the 'it would have been legal in france' defence but it might be a fairly brisk showing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also, Little St James may be a "private island" but it is not a nation-state, it's a constituent part of the US Virgin Islands, which are so named because the age of consent there is 18.

It's like saying you can impose your own age of consent laws within the grounds of Balmoral, (which Andrew probably also believes)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again I think the queen literally can, at least by default, because she isn't allowed to be arrested.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Blimey Wikipedia says they're named for saint Ursula who took 11,000 virgins with her as a gift to her soon to be husband. Blimey Epstein's got some competition.

Alternatively some useless monk may have got his Latin wrong and actually she was just 11 years old instead of the virgin horde.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
lmao Scottish Tories can pound sand.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1481353090234261508

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Again I think the queen literally can, at least by default, because she isn't allowed to be arrested.
Half-remembering from undergrad, but: it's complicated. In theory, the Crown as Monarch is immune, but the Queen as an individual is not. In reality: lmao consequences

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Borrovan posted:

Half-remembering from undergrad, but: it's complicated. In theory, the Crown as Monarch is immune, but the Queen as an individual is not. In reality: lmao consequences

As long as she's the monarch she is covered by Crown immunity in UK, and Sovereign immunity worldwide.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Sir, transmission from a Michael Fabricunt in Lichfield. He says he is a.. tory?
*sigh* on screen.
https://twitter.com/MrJonNewton/status/1481060491644518403?t=UuI2b5A24t4dQMI_o_Z54A&s=19

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1481314677665714178

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

As long as she's the monarch she is covered by Crown immunity in UK, and Sovereign immunity worldwide.

Do the French still have laws on the books that let them deal with royalty properly?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol, he totally will

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

josh04 posted:

lol, he totally will

He didn't even know he was at a party

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

Making light of the worst possible things is a long running staple of British humour, and I’ll die in this hill. Save the nonce!!!
nonce fungible token

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Do the French still have laws on the books that let them deal with royalty properly?

We were doing that before the bloody continentals, english headsman for english monarchs!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/_saveourstatues/status/1481329473471623172

I just fuckin love statues mate

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

He's a fruitpot dictator. He'll find out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not even a good statue I could make a better statue than that and it wouldn't even be a weird creepy nonce statue either.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It's not even a good statue I could make a better statue than that and it wouldn't even be a weird creepy nonce statue either.

Recut the stone so as to remove the child completely, job done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Knock the whole thing off and replace it with a t rex.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's just big plinth trying to drum up business for it's members

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He's still there apparently
https://twitter.com/_robertsays/status/1481358909063450627

e: in other news, Rishi is standing by Boris

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1481358087286108169

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Is there any knowledge on who the hammer bro is? Does he expect to find a secret entrance to prince Nonce's private Pizza Express dungeon behind the statue?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Big ladder is up. Maybe they're going to lend him one of those big Halligan tools they use.
https://twitter.com/njb/status/1481363271676571652

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the qanon nutters want to just go around demolishing every statue they can find I think on balance that would be a big improvement.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Am I naive in thinking Patel and Sunak throwing their lot in with Boris will tarnish them if he goes or do they miracuously become successors through reptile logic?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^that Patel "leak" def sounded like "hey guys let's all come together to agree how reasonable and statespersonlike I am" to me :shrug:

Constitutional theorists & jurists disagree. Basically (iirc), all the case law we have on Crown immunity proceeds on the assumption that the question is whether it applies to the Crown as an Office (so most of it is specifically talking about "persons acting in the service of the Crown" or some such), we don't have anything on the monarch as an individual. Modern case law is mostly decided as a matter of the interpretation of statutes (i.e., does an Act say "this applies to the Crown" or not), but including this in statutes is a modern trend, & even in the 19th century all but the most conservative theorists thought that Crown immunity didn't mean that the monarch can just go around doing crimes (which is a whole can of worms considering the Crown is the fount of justice). Seem to remember there's also a lot of ambiguity wrt Crown immunity & common law offences (the hard-and-fast rules relate to statutes (and also aren't very hard-or-fast)).

As with most things in constitutional law, it's all very theoretical & very complicated, basically. Luckily it'll never become important, because no copper will ever try to nick 'er maj.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Isn't there some precedent from when the king did a bunch of war crimes and then got impeached and tried and then his head fell off repeatedly, or did everyone just pretend that didn't happen?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
https://twitter.com/_SaveOurStatues/status/1481329473471623172

Plinth Andrew

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

Plinth Andrew