Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't there some precedent from when the king did a bunch of war crimes and then got impeached and tried and then his head fell off repeatedly, or did everyone just pretend that didn't happen?
:shrug: didn't come up on my UG course, literally no idea if that even counts as precedent

Wikipedia's got this quote from some guy I never heard of that's pretty much the same as (if a bit broader than) the 19th century poo poo I remember though: "[the Court proposed that] the King of England was not a person, but an office whose every occupant was entrusted with a limited power to govern 'by and according to the laws of the land and not otherwise'."

e: 1653 is when the Protectorate was established, four years after killing Charlie. That's only just two-thirds of a Brexit, smdh

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno was she 17 when she was in England? Who knows what the age of consent is on a private paedo island, you'd imagine they'd set it quite low.

I've heard this argument in real life and the answer is that you can't take someone across a border to a jurisdiction with a lower age of consent in order to have sex with them. So you couldn't fly a 14 year old from Britain to Italy for sex even though that's the age of consent there. Giuffre wasn't paying her own airfare at 17, so when Epstein/Maxwell brought her to the UK with the intention of having her 'massage' those wealthy, powerful middle-aged men, she was being trafficked.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Fascinating seeing the pressure building: will it reach that magic tipping point where suddenly everyone rushes at once to ditch him?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Fascinating seeing the pressure building: will it reach that magic tipping point where suddenly everyone rushes at once to ditch him?

No.

I say this because I'm usually wrong when I predict things

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

keep punching joe posted:

As long as she's the monarch she is covered by Crown immunity in UK, and Sovereign immunity worldwide.
[Andrew hurriedly King Ralphs everyone ahead of him in the chain of succession.]

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
so have you figured out a term for when boris fucks off? I'd be slightly disappointed if it ends up being 'borixit'

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Depfeffelstration

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Papers tomorrow are pretty brutal. With the press so openly going for him and both Sunak & Patel giving wishy washy responses I think theres change on the way.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

so have you figured out a term for when boris fucks off? I'd be slightly disappointed if it ends up being 'borixit'

Boris Goneson

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Get ready for the Gove-aissance

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Borexit

Floppy johnson's withdrawal

oval office shunting time

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 12, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

:shrug: didn't come up on my UG course, literally no idea if that even counts as precedent

Wikipedia's got this quote from some guy I never heard of that's pretty much the same as (if a bit broader than) the 19th century poo poo I remember though: "[the Court proposed that] the King of England was not a person, but an office whose every occupant was entrusted with a limited power to govern 'by and according to the laws of the land and not otherwise'."

e: 1653 is when the Protectorate was established, four years after killing Charlie. That's only just two-thirds of a Brexit, smdh
The U.S. Senate claims that their impeachment protocols descend from that, not in so many words but "The definition of “high Crimes and Misdemeanors” was not specified in the Constitution and has long been the subject of debate." is because it almost certainly came to there via that trial, and the requirement of both Houses (lower to charge, upper to try) was apparently an attempt to make it less of a mess than the trial of Charles Stuart.

This view implies that there's no precedent from the Stuart trial in a common law sense because the High Court of Justice was not established by a real Act, lacking both the Lords and (oddly) the King's assent, so any judgement is the same as if any random bunch of people had thrown a court together rather than a real trial, but also that there is a very real precedent in a constitutional sense that post-Restoration the person of the monarch can be impeached by Parliament in a not-dissimilar way than any American public official can, by proof of what happens when they don't cooperate.

quote:

The trial and execution of the King demonstrated vividly that the office-holder was, after all, a mere human being whose head could in the end quite easily be struck from his body. The notion of the Crown and its permeating influence in the law is something rather more difficult to expel. It is not the same notion as the monarch. It is not the same notion as the state. It is not exactly equivalent to the people.

I guess any post Restoration (or moreso post Glorious Revolution) could be impeached if both Houses agreed (or would that be the Supreme Court now instead of the Lords?) and would be more likely to cooperate, and also nobody really knows what a Crown is other than that laws come out of it somehow (maybe it has a hole in the back).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lady Demelza posted:

I've heard this argument in real life

I am in real life!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The hole in the crown is obvious, the monarch goes in one end, laws come out the other end, it converts monarchy into laws.

If you invented a machine that rapidly stuffed monarchs through a crown, you could legislate at close to the speed of light.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alternatively by putting laws in the top of the crown you could make a larger monarch.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You'd have to make a loop, or else kill each monarch as soon as it went through so that the one following would be the monarch after it. We could repurpose CERN and fire royal babies around it I suppose.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Borrovan posted:

As with most things in constitutional law, it's all very theoretical & very complicated, basically. Luckily it'll never become important, because no copper will ever try to nick 'er maj.

They wouldn't try to nick Brenda, but she is 95 and the heir apparent is far less charming, nowhere near as universally beloved, and has a penchant for testing some of the limits of theoretical royal powers. Might be the question becomes significantly more relevant in the coming years!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I call the high speed legislator an Article Accelerator.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

lol someone helped you with that, lmao

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

Interesting stuff
Yeah looking into it that Australian article looks to represent the general view over here. Also "impeachment" is generally regarded to not be a thing here anymore anyway.

OwlFancier posted:

lmfao this was an excellent bit, it started off well but then :kiss:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If you invented a machine that rapidly stuffed monarchs through a crown, you could legislate at close to the speed of light.

Crownception

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I am in real life!

Pics or you aren't happening :colbert:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The discussion of the Eric Gil statue business on Twitter is hilarious. Just statue nonces desperately trying to work out how to square hating any attempt to damage a statue with trying to not defend a famous paedo. And you've also got the added sauce of the BBC as well. Just incredibly entertaining and I applaud the mad lad with the hammer for setting it all off.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The discussion of the Eric Gil statue business on Twitter is hilarious. Just statue nonces desperately trying to work out how to square hating any attempt to damage a statue with trying to not defend a famous paedo. And you've also got the added sauce of the BBC as well. Just incredibly entertaining and I applaud the mad lad with the hammer for setting it all off.

nah

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1481378900517298187

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1481374158202228736

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

Simply liquidise the monarchs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Going to a place, putting on a white coat and getting your picture taken while everyone around you thinks you're a complete berk is basically the entire job of PM tbf

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like you should be wearing a face mask if you're wearing the rest of that PPE?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boris Johnson also visited a drugs manufacturer before PMQs.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The hammer guy is a guy called David Chick, and he's a Tommy Robinson supporting far-right twat
https://twitter.com/browe2324/status/1481390473050742788

I guess this is the same guy: Superhero defendant threatened to kill dog, court hears

quote:

A man who previously came to court dressed as several different superheroes was sentenced today for harassing his former landlady by threatening to kill her dog Elsa during a row over an unpaid debt.

David Chick, 53, was refused entry to a courtroom at Brighton Magistrates Court last year after refusing to take off his costume, which included elements of Spiderman, Superman, Supergirl and Wonder Woman.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Boris Johnson also visited a drugs manufacturer before PMQs.

no need to make that a bad thing pal

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/GeorgeAylett/status/1481392816869756928

I would say he wouldn't last the week with this but the days of people resigning in disgrace are long past.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

take his ladder away

Thought as much

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Just incredibly entertaining and I applaud the mad lad with the hammer for setting it all off.

fuctifino posted:

The hammer guy is a guy called David Chick, and he's a Tommy Robinson supporting far-right twat

You do not have to hand it to him, etc, etc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/browe2324/status/1481390473050742788

I guess this is the same guy: Superhero defendant threatened to kill dog, court hears

Maybe that's what is behind it all. Gill hosed a dog and Chick threatened to murder one so they are arch-rivals?

Just a theory

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So I haven't followed UK politics since Corbyn got trounced -- what is finally making everyone turn on Boris?

I mean its obvious that the party is just an excuse

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 12, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

So I haven't followed UK politics since Corbyn got trounced -- what is finally making everyone turn on Boris?

The media got tired of him

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Feldegast42 posted:

He's played his part, and it's time for him to be ushered off the stsge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Feldegast42 posted:

My own theory is that he pissed off Rupert Murdoch. Johnson has always been as he is now, it's just that the papers are reporting it in a negative light now.