Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She’s probably fine if she’s not speaking English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

glitchwraith posted:

mentor role

Still not sure where the "mom" part from your previous comment comes in though.

Batman is a mentor in the snyder cut, in the theatrical he bosses people around and yells at Diana. And the mom part is because he doesn't need to teach Diana how to be a leader yet he's berating her for the good of the team, and then they frame the guys as adolescents(Aquaman commenting on her, flash falling on her), pretty sure the"children" line is a whedon original.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The problem with Batman in the JL movies (both cuts), is the same as Wolverine in the X-Men films. In both cases they should only be the main character in their own books, as soon as they are part of an ensemble they should be pushed into the background and used for their special skills. Hugh Jackman was too tall, too handsome, too popular an actor to play Logan, and so he ended up leading just because of the actor, not what was right for the role. With JL they had killed off Superman so it was Batman putting the team together, which is completely arse about face. Batman should be lurking in the shadows, barely turning up at meetings, just watching and waiting before he turns up to deliver the plan/macguffin weapon/killing blow after studying the situation from the sidelines.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and none of this gets into all of the problems with Steve Trevor’s resurrection or whatever

Their "its like freaky friday!" rings hollow because where'd the other guy go? Body swap comedy involves people swaping bodies, this was essentially the death of the other character.

Parkingtigers posted:

The problem with Batman in the JL movies (both cuts), is the same as Wolverine in the X-Men films. In both cases they should only be the main character in their own books, as soon as they are part of an ensemble they should be pushed into the background and used for their special skills. Hugh Jackman was too tall, too handsome, too popular an actor to play Logan, and so he ended up leading just because of the actor, not what was right for the role. With JL they had killed off Superman so it was Batman putting the team together, which is completely arse about face. Batman should be lurking in the shadows, barely turning up at meetings, just watching and waiting before he turns up to deliver the plan/macguffin weapon/killing blow after studying the situation from the sidelines.

There is no way WB and DC are going to put Batman on the sidelines. Considering how but Batman content exists and they put out every year, he's always going to be front and center of anything they do. I do think when marvel gets around to doing the X-men, Wolverine will be there, but he won't be the axel that the wheels turn. They'll probably cast someone up and coming as Scott and he'll be what the films center around.

Now that Eternals is on Disney +, rewatching it and one thing bothered me about it that isn't not to do with the story or anything but the history 575 BCE is really late time for plows to be introduced, and the Epic of Gilgamesh being told for the first time. This is 700 years after the bronze age collapse and that saw the end of very complex and advanced civilizations. the Egyptians had like 2000 years of civlizations by this time, Athens was just about to enter its hight of its power and not to mention civilizations in India, Africa and Asia. I know its just a cyron, but it just bothers me because its not like anything pre CE is a mystery that we have no idea what the timeline was. Its way easier for to accept the Hyperborean age existed in this world than that date

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

site posted:

what happened was that people were so blinded by a wonder woman movie even existing in the first place all the flaws were largely glossed over by audiences. 84 was worse but you could already see the trajectory if you actually watch ww 1
Wonder Woman World War 1:

-Diana being a fish out of water covers for Gal Gadot's acting deficiencies
-Chris Pine is a joy without the downer of him stealing some other pilot guy's body
-Said Taghmaoui > Pedro Pascal
-Trench Angel scene is magnificent
-Ending battle is another dragonball fight but the Ares twist where he's a schemer and manipulator rather than angry fighty man is solid

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pedro Pascal is good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
why...are you quoting me on this? i disagree on 4, i've never found no man's land to be impressive because it was way overhyped by the time i saw the movie, and the ares fight was lame, but i literally said ww1 was better than 84 in the post you quoted (though the point was that "better than 84" does not mean "good"). unless you were just agreeing with me, in which case yes

site fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 13, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The NML scene is a really solid action piece, I don't think 84 has a comparable sequence.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I know I'm gonna take heat for it but gal has always been way too twiggy to play the Amazon warrior

na, I remember this being a topic when she was initially cast way back in the day. In my dream world, we had someone who looked like those beefy ladies swinging the sledge hammers in the temple that the snyder cut had. You cannot tell me there's not a body builder out there who can't act as well as gadot.

edit: No man's land being overhyped by the time you saw it is on you. That is a solid action scene on par with anything in the MCU. The power and sense of impact displayed really got across how drat strong Dianna was. Everything being floaty bullshit in 84 is one the worst things about the sequel.

I disagree about Ares, because despite him supposedly being a schemer, he just turned into a cgi fight man. It was a terrible final battle. The original WW is saved by that single action scene and a solid first act.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 13, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She’s made of clay and they ran out.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

NML handles the, for want of a better word, kinetics of superheroic bodies colliding with people and buildings better than any oher superhero movie I can think of.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

NML handles the, for want of a better word, kinetics of superheroic bodies colliding with people and buildings better than any oher superhero movie I can think of.

100% this, nothing else with super strength has topped it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The part where she's inside the building fighting is really well shot but everything else isn't as impressive. That's just my opinion though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lol she swings on lightning. How is that less silly than an invisible jet? Or even just let her fly like she sometimes has the ability to do.

Yea i know they did the invisible jet, but the silliest way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Steve has been dead for 67 years but flying a plane is flying a plane so of course he can just take off in a jet that's at a museum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pedro Pascal was an absolutely fantastic Maxwell Lord and captured the mix of pure sleeze covering a heart really well. The rest of the movie surrounding him wasn't good at all but he did a tremendously good job in the role with what he was given

I am referring to the actual Maxwell Lord and not the boring random villain they replaced him with post-Blue Beetle Murder.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Why couldn't Steve just come back to life? Why have him steal another man's body if it never plays into the story?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

Steve has been dead for 67 years but flying a plane is flying a plane so of course he can just take off in a jet that's at a museum.

A jet that is inexplicably fueled and can make it across the Atlantic without stopping.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Finally watched Eternals and uh… I kinda enjoyed the hell out of it? :shrug:

Yeah it’s a mess in places and half the characters are ancillary, but it’s weird in all the right ways and it didn’t even feel like a normal MCU movie until the mid-credits thing. It’s also weirdly pretty and the action was shot pretty well for once.

Most of the cast is decent-to-great, but I was surprised by how good Angelina Jolie was in this. I figured it would just be a paycheck role for her, but she’s one of the better characters in the movie.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I just finished rewatching it, and the pacing issues are almost completely gone on a second viewing. It’s still a very beautiful film with actual things to say on what it is to be human and I will forever be sulky that Marvel trying something deeper and more thoughtful is what makes all the critics turn on them.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sanschel posted:

A jet that is inexplicably fueled and can make it across the Atlantic without stopping.

And has a cockpit the size of an apartment even though it's a fighter looking thing.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Finally watched Eternals and uh… I kinda enjoyed the hell out of it? :shrug:

Yeah it’s a mess in places and half the characters are ancillary, but it’s weird in all the right ways and it didn’t even feel like a normal MCU movie until the mid-credits thing. It’s also weirdly pretty and the action was shot pretty well for once.

Most of the cast is decent-to-great, but I was surprised by how good Angelina Jolie was in this. I figured it would just be a paycheck role for her, but she’s one of the better characters in the movie.

Same though now I really want a conversation in the films about the difference between Arishem and Ego. Was Ego just the brain that got knocked out of Knowhere? Are we just saying there's like two kinds of Celestials, the ones that are gently caress planets and the ones that are egg planets?

I'd also like someone to ask Eros why Earth has myths about him if not only has he never been there but also none of the other Eternals ever heard of him to spread his story there.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 13, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

Why couldn't Steve just come back to life? Why have him steal another man's body if it never plays into the story?

oh it did! don't you remember the outfit montage scene? no way we could have had that hilarious nod to the 80s without a body steal

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

oh it did! don't you remember the outfit montage scene? no way we could have had that hilarious nod to the 80s without a body steal

OK but why did Jenkins have that scene edited and scored like it was on valium?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently some people are surprised that The Batman was rated PG-13 like it would have been anything else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Let Batman gently caress, you cowards.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vincent posted:

Spider-Man: NWH. May getting fridged in No Way Home was hella bullshit. The three Spider-Men parts were cool, but the third act falls apart.

Is it really a fridging when they've been in 3 movies?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

DC's newest Bat villain, The Batman Who Fucks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

DC censored the Bat dong in the comics, no way we see it in the films

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

Is it really a fridging when they've been in 3 movies?

Especially since we don't know what the deal is with the actor. Having May die could be more than just for pure story reasons if Aunt Tomei wanted out. And there's not a great way to write out a character like that other than death. Really the whole ending of the movie feels like wiping the slate clean for casting purposes.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I'm in the weird position of having enjoyed WW84 despite agreeing with most of the major criticisms of it. not sure why :shrug:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and none of this gets into all of the problems with Steve Trevor’s resurrection or whatever

Steve possessing someone else's body was such a baffling decision, one that raises such obvious questions that the film doesn't have the remotest interest in addressing and could have been so easily avoided (there's no reason why a magic wishing stone couldn't have temporarily resurrected him in his own body), that I have to guess it was a vestigial element left over from an earlier draft of the script or cut of the film in which Steve being in another man's body was an actual plot point that had some sort of consequences. can't imagine how else that could have made it into the final film

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lobok posted:

Especially since we don't know what the deal is with the actor. Having May die could be more than just for pure story reasons if Aunt Tomei wanted out. And there's not a great way to write out a character like that other than death. Really the whole ending of the movie feels like wiping the slate clean for casting purposes.

They're moving on and going forward she will be replaced by Aunt June

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

The problem with Batman in the JL movies (both cuts), is the same as Wolverine in the X-Men films. In both cases they should only be the main character in their own books, as soon as they are part of an ensemble they should be pushed into the background and used for their special skills. Hugh Jackman was too tall, too handsome, too popular an actor to play Logan, and so he ended up leading just because of the actor, not what was right for the role.

I don't think it had to do with Jackman/the actor at all. Like, maybe you have a different favorite X-person, but let's be real, Wolverine is the most popular mutant for the majority of people familiar with X-Men. He was always gonna be the star of the show no matter who played him. Wolverine's the best at what he does, and what he does is steal the spotlight from other characters, bub.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If Dougray Scott hadn't bailed out of the film it's possible that nobody would like film Wolverine.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

That wolverine movie is a really bad, for one thing, I'm not sure the creative team knew wolverine was a mutant? He calls the femme fatale "mutant bitch" which seems pretty crazy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

theironjef posted:

And has a cockpit the size of an apartment even though it's a fighter looking thing.

There are aircraft that look like that, the Intruder for one, or the Flanker, which I think it was? these tend to be heavy fighers or light bombers though.

quote:

Same though now I really want a conversation in the films about the difference between Arishem and Ego. Was Ego just the brain that got knocked out of Knowhere? Are we just saying there's like two kinds of Celestials, the ones that are gently caress planets and the ones that are egg planets?

I'd also like someone to ask Eros why Earth has myths about him if not only has he never been there but also none of the other Eternals ever heard of him to spread his story there.

I figured that Ego was a Celestial who's planet was destroyed SOMEHOW (not saying it was Galactus) when it was only a brain so he had to create a new body from steller debris. I also think Ashrams "we create suns so speicies can exist" is completely full of poo poo. The systems Celestials create is purely for reproduction of their own kind. Lying dirty cheatin' celestials has been a comic staple for decades.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 14, 2022

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So talk of WW84 made me think of a question.

WW84 Diana gets a wish. Anything her heart desires, and after 60+ years, she wishes for her first love back. That's not god awful, but you expect me to believe that Diana has been walking around for 60+ years, looking like she does, and she can't find any other man (or woman) to love her, or gently caress her as well as Steve Trevor? Highly unlikely. But that is her motivation for half the movie. The dicking that he gives her is so amazing that not only is she apparently not loving any other man for the rest of her life up to that point, but she's willing to give up her super powers and let the world burn over it, just to get back on that D. She has to be convinced to let that stickman go, so she can save the world from being ruined by magic greed.

But, on the flip side, over at Marvel, we get the other Steve, who at the end of his story gives up a life of super heroing and saving the world, to go live out his days with his One True Love. Why does it work there?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They actually never sleep together before his death.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

If Dougray Scott hadn't bailed out of the film it's possible that nobody would like film Wolverine.

We can thank John Woo for being insane and letting Mission: Impossible II's production go wildly over-budget and over-schedule, forcing Scott to keep filming the movie and Hugh Jackman being brought in at the absolute last minute for X-Men.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

I don't think it had to do with Jackman/the actor at all. Like, maybe you have a different favorite X-person, but let's be real, Wolverine is the most popular mutant for the majority of people familiar with X-Men. He was always gonna be the star of the show no matter who played him. Wolverine's the best at what he does, and what he does is steal the spotlight from other characters, bub.

As popular Wolverine was/is, I assure you having read millions of comics that Wolverine was a dogshit "character" and actually improved after Jackman. Not only was he the performer that elevated the character, it actually lead to improvement for him in the comics. Like some weird synergy happened and writers started writing him better and giving him some substance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolverine was a smelly hobbit always creeping on a woman who wasn't interested.