Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

That's hugely unfair to the Skaarj. They had the biggest tactical advantage you had ever seen in a game: they would dodge-roll away from any non-hitscan bullets you fired at them. That was huge!

They had one weird trick which was to slowly turn lights off in a corridor then lurk in the shadows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyy-frH1-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

peter gabriel posted:

Yup, and the reason it isn't funny even though it should be is that it feeds and attracts a certain kind of backer, that CI¬G can't see this is insane to me.

There is of course an even worse possibility: CIG is aware and either doesn't give a poo poo, or actively leans into it since it has been anecdotally proven that fascists are idiots.

JugbandDude posted:

And also implies that ALL children follow the same warrior path.

Who reads books to actually maintain their spaceships?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao it's literally just a model from Halo imported into Star Citizen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

.random posted:

Same. I almost can’t believe how poorly it’s written. Though the goal of every great actor is to elevate the material no matter how bad it is :downswords:

That said, I honestly believe it would have had more emotional gravitas if they’d written “if the Vanduul have taught us anything, it’s that there is no victory… without VICTORY!

(Notice me, CIG-senpai!)

It really read to me like an RPG where you're suddenly thrust into a big speech and you need to inspire the crowd for the upcoming battle or face more losses or get a worse prize for yourself. "Victory" seems like one of the bad options to pick where it'd fail to inspire most people. If you weren't an idiot or followed a guide you would've picked something that was an important value for the crowd, liberty, attaining peace, reclaiming something lost, say god is pumped about it and behind y'all, protect family, get a lunch coupon, literally every choice except "victory" or "panic and say we're doomed" lead to the better result and even "panic and say we're doomed" causes another character to step up and turn it around to be more inspiring and that's part of getting the secret ending.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Lol at this poo poo

Is this the racist stereotype aliens that sniff each others balls when flying their spaceships? I can never remember

i wonder if the humans in this setting as just a homogenous and simple. what's his answer to same question about humans?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Every family buys a car for their child then at age 16 sends them out on the roads to kill or be killed

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Yeah it's for sure both. That description they gave is a classic noble savage trope and is super racist.

They are hyper aggressive nomadic clans that roam the steppes 'verse in their horses ships (which they never leave) in hordes. They are uninterested in creating their non-war items and instead pillage them from other groups. Yes, the Vanduul (Vandal + Mongols) are pretty racist.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's very ambitious to try to develop and release Squadron 42 before they've finished figuring out how spaceships should work.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SC humans are a cool futurised version of the Roman empire with its gently caress-you-dad multicultural pride, mafia-esque patronage networks, world infused with gods and spirits that must be bargained with, and bizarre mish-mash of bureaucracy and aristocracy

Er scratch that, they are a cool futurised version of the Roman empire which is identical to the 20th century United States of America with its pasty white fighter jocks, shopping malls, patriotic ARE TROOPS speeches in the UN conference room, trigger happy cowboy cops and Hank's Used Starship Dealers.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
ambitious is one word for it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Eu2X17F.gifv

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sandepande posted:

Maybe open development meant open-ended development?

Or maybe "open" like in a "open relationship" sort of way?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Mr Fronts posted:

You know what would be a terrific pet project?

A STAR CITZIEN PINBALL GAME

Think of the possibilities!

- Multiball earned by hitting "Carry a Crate" 20 times
- "Server meshing" progressive bonus (builds up, x2, x4, x6, x8,...but never actually takes effect)
- "Clip Through The Floor" side outlanes
- An actual ramp. When your ball goes up it, you lose the ball.
- Bumpers - airhorn sound, with Gary Oldman faces flashing.
- Drop targets provide new release dates (2014, 2015, 2016 - after that, no more drop targets)
- "Funding" progressive bonus (various targets increase funding - doubles every time one is hit)
- Snowflake/Goon/Difficult Customer label bonuses to earn

I don't know squat about pinball, but it's clear you do, and the way you're describing it here really cracked me up.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Time_pants posted:

Open minded development, what's development for you is not for me

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

DigitalPenny posted:

Oh poo poo. I think you actually may have nailed it.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

DigitalPenny posted:

i do not enter the video game, the video game enters me

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Time_pants posted:

Or maybe "open" as an 'open case file'?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

If there is one thing this wacky poo poo game has taught me it's that chris has absolutely zero imagination

Not true. He imagines he is a Hollywood Director and a Computer Game Designer. Also that Sandi is/is not his wife depending on what he wants at the time.

e: Also I am glad that you had victory over covid when all there was was victory or no victory. You truly are the greatest victory of victory commando. o7

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 13, 2022

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Mr Fronts posted:

You know what would be a terrific pet project?

A STAR CITZIEN PINBALL GAME

Think of the possibilities!

- Multiball earned by hitting "Carry a Crate" 20 times
- "Server meshing" progressive bonus (builds up, x2, x4, x6, x8,...but never actually takes effect)
- "Clip Through The Floor" side outlanes
- An actual ramp. When your ball goes up it, you lose the ball.
- Bumpers - airhorn sound, with Gary Oldman faces flashing.
- Drop targets provide new release dates (2014, 2015, 2016 - after that, no more drop targets)
- "Funding" progressive bonus (various targets increase funding - doubles every time one is hit)
- Snowflake/Goon/Difficult Customer label bonuses to earn

- Find the missing seat to get an extra ball.
- Hit the spinner to turn PvP on/off.
- Jackpots are called Vitamins.
- And when the last ball drains the voice over says "Funding Over" Derek Smart does the voice line
- 15% of your points goes to the Chadlers.

I love pinball too - kick start this!

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 13, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Lol at this poo poo

Is this the racist stereotype aliens that sniff each others balls when flying their spaceships? I can never remember

Ah yes, the "get a job ya bum" of space aliens

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Beexoffel posted:

I always like the subtle clues in AdzAdama's art. A Russell's Teapot to illustrate that one cannot disprove the existence of Star Citizen.

I like your interpretation, but I don't believe Russell would have been thinking of that specific teapot. That's a Utah teapot.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

An Englishman raised in Texas with cultural ignorence?

Wow!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's only been 10 years, it's completely unrealistic to expect anyone to be able to play even a small portion of the game without it crapping out in a dozen ways. Just ask any game developers, this is how it goes with all games everywhere.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's only been 10 years, it's completely unrealistic to expect anyone to be able to play even a small portion of the game without it crapping out in a dozen ways. Just ask any game developers, this is how it goes with all games everywhere.

My first step to AAAA game development is to have children and then teach them how to teach their children how to game development.

AAAA game design is 30 years minimum .

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Ikonoklast posted:

Its knife-based space flight.

Melee space combat game would be fun. You would need to crash the other ships and ram them against asteroids and what have you.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-13-star-citizen-developer-lays-out-increasingly-ambitious-five-year-plan

LOL, developing sequels... loving finish the first game at least!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

lobsterminator posted:

Melee space combat game would be fun. You would need to crash the other ships and ram them against asteroids and what have you.

So most of Major Tom's video series, then!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

quote:

”I think by that time we'll be operating a very large MMORPG," Jones said of Star Citizen in 2026. "So there'll be a lot more publishing resources, a lot more game masters, more player support. That may require us to open facilities in other locations.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Supreme Rear Admiral of Star Citizen
Star Citizen to release in 2027, finally, Im getting ready.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Star Citizen will be a big (Alpha) game in 2026, with studios all over the world. By 2050, it will be a huge (Alpha) game with studios on Earth, Mars and the moon.

Take that, Derek Smart and your "90 days tops" :smuggo:

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

These guys are the masters of putting the cart before the horse in every area of development.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cookie Cutter posted:

These guys are the masters of putting the cart before the horse in every area of development.

They don't even have a horse. But let me tell you about the golden chariot!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How long does the average horse even live for, anyway

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Blue On Blue posted:

it's supposed to sound majestic and make it seem like they have a deep sense of honor and whatever

send your youngest off into the wilderness and let them come back MEN!

etc

it's also incredibly lazy like the rest of their lore on the different races, it's either stereotypically racist or very very stupid

I was thinking it was inspired by the (inaccurate and mythological) Spartan hagiography. Knowing Chris, he probably just took it directly from the '300' scenes of being sent out in the wilderness with just a spear or whatever it was.
But you know, I'm sure he was inspired by a wide variety of racist and reductionist tropes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

trucutru posted:

They don't even have a horse. But let me tell you about the golden chariot!

Well OK, it's true that the chariot doesn't currently have wheels, but that's perfectly normal at this point of chariot development. I've seen a lot of chariots and I touched a horse once so I'm an expert in chariot development. Anyway they've promised wheel spokes are coming in v6.12 (originally scheduled for 4.21 after wheels and spokes were split up in 2.75) so shut up troll.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
This morning's quote from the diehard cultist with the top hat and monocle avatar:

quote:

I still see no reason to change my original view stated many times. Squadron 42 Chapter One release in October this year on the 10th anniversary of the crowdfunding launch. Hype probably begins at Invictus Launch week (last week in May) and ramps up over summer/autumn.

ILW is all about joining up... it's what the first ILW hype video was about.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I honestly hope he is right. A true release should get the thread moving again.

And if it beats a CoD game from 2016, it's even better. I might actually play it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I definitely want the thing to come out so we can lol at the game rather than lol at people talking about the game

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
There's no way S42 ever releases.The whole point of S42 was to bolster Sandi's credentials and to jumpstart her acting career. The jumpstart attempt failed. Now S42 is just another distraction or excuse for slow development like JesusTech, staggered development, roadmaps, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

game masters? uhh are they talkin bout hiring some kid or whatever desperate to work in the industry but no education or skills so you underpay them to go around and try to make the game more exciting for the half dozen people they'll encounter? that's one of those ideas that sounds neat in concept in real mmos but has never ever been well executed and basically companies aren't willing to pay a worker to be the wingman of fun for their game. There's also something to the argument maybe the game should be fun without hiring a babysitter who specializes in keeping the kids entertained.