Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I wish Duels started with random or drafted decks or something. I want it to be a casual mode where you get wacky powers and make fun decks and see what happens, whereas instead it's more like "You need to exactly tailor your deck to the hero power and use this specific questline because it's magnified OP with these duels powers or you might as well just go gently caress yourself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

victorious posted:

So I was trying to complete the Rolling In Their Grave achievement for having minions die while Snowfall Graveyard is active and thought I'd give Dane's Wild Deathrattle deck a go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew936QAZUnk

Turns out yeah, it's good:

how did you manage to dodge quest warrior so many times in a row? you should buy some lotto tickets

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Elysium posted:

I wish Duels started with random or drafted decks or something. I want it to be a casual mode where you get wacky powers and make fun decks and see what happens, whereas instead it's more like "You need to exactly tailor your deck to the hero power and use this specific questline because it's magnified OP with these duels powers or you might as well just go gently caress yourself."

Yeah. In retrospect, the Duels hype died so fast because it got optimized so much faster than people expected. Something to de-optimize it would be nice.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Firebert posted:

how did you manage to dodge quest warrior so many times in a row? you should buy some lotto tickets

Was wondering that too, in my experience wild is nothing but quest hunter and quest warrior right now, which is why I've basically stopped playing wild.

Also EU goons maybe hit me up with a friend request, I have a watch a friend win quest but it seems like everyone on my friend list has abandoned HS. Rip.

Oenis#2957

Oenis fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 12, 2022

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Firebert posted:

I did wonder this myself, my only explanation is that those games are in relatively low ranks, so maybe all the warriors have moved higher up the ladder before I started playing.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Firebert posted:

Quest Warrior is still good but the Wild meta has evolved to make it less good. I'm seeing it a lot less.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Desert Bus posted:

Quest Warrior is still good but the Wild meta has evolved to make it less good. I'm seeing it a lot less.

yeah the druid decks that are popular in Wild right now really hard counter it, and quest hunter / even Warlock / ignite mage are pretty even against it. It's getting tougher for the quest warriors in Wild right now.

I think alot of Wild players still want to see the deck go away, because despite being countered by some particular strategies it is the singular thing that is really keeping down alot of slower paced decks.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Starsfan posted:

yeah the druid decks that are popular in Wild right now really hard counter it, and quest hunter / even Warlock / ignite mage are pretty even against it. It's getting tougher for the quest warriors in Wild right now.

I think alot of Wild players still want to see the deck go away, because despite being countered by some particular strategies it is the singular thing that is really keeping down alot of slower paced decks.

The trifecta of pirates, odd quest and bullshit mages, when they die, I think will make Wild a really good place to be again.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Olpainless posted:

The trifecta of pirates, odd quest and bullshit mages, when they die, I think will make Wild a really good place to be again.

Look at this guy. Big time hallucinations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah. In retrospect, the Duels hype died so fast because it got optimized so much faster than people expected. Something to de-optimize it would be nice.

To be fair, a lot of the problems with Duels are because it was left to die on the vine. A few minor balance changes (ban Mr Smite and Embrace the Shadows, buffs for the bad treasures) and it would be amazing.

I'd love something similar to the old Magic drafts where everyone cracks a pack, picks a card, and passes the rest to the right. There was a lot of skill involved in reading the packs, balancing your curve and colors, etc. but no idea how that could get translated to Hearthstone.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It could work in Hearthstone if they ever get that fabled tournament mode up and running. I fear it has died a death though, killed by Mercs and Battleground.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Flayer posted:

It could work in Hearthstone if they ever get that fabled tournament mode up and running. I fear it has died a death though, killed by Mercs and Battleground.

Apparently the last time someone asked them directly about tournament mode the answer that was returned was that tournament mode is a meme that nobody except people on reddit want or care about.. so it's not looking good on that front

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Starsfan posted:

Apparently the last time someone asked them directly about tournament mode the answer that was returned was that mercenaries is a meme that nobody except people on reddit want or care about.. so it's not looking good on that front

Is what they actually meant.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Update on mercenaries: It seems like they've totally shut off bots in PvP. Team comp and rating level seem to have no effect on it. It could still be connected to hidden MMR but I doubt it. Even at 3-5 minutes in queue it wont put me into a bot game.

I also opened a merc pack that I had in reserve for fun and got an epic portrait. I don't have every epic merc so I shouldn't have gotten it, right? Well, I do have enough coins to craft all the epics I don't have. So it seems like that's being taken into account for whether or not you have them, which is pretty annoying.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I'd love to see the stats on Mercs and how many people are still playing it, because it was like 95% of my friends list and now I never see anyone playing it at all.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
i stopped playing that boring garbage ages ago

back to memes in wild hoho

get in my belly

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The fun is really gonna start when they put out brand new top tier merc legendary, cause so much of the f2p passive coin accumulation has dried up from people already levelling up all their mercs and getting random quest coins, starting from 0 again for a legendary and the only source of coins being tacked on as an unappealing and grind discouraging lv30+ Bounty is gonna stop a lot of people bothering to keep up. Like I cannot see how they expect to just keep adding to the pool of mercs without issue, there’s just no way to get new merc coins efficiently

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 13, 2022

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The whole mode is just ridiculously boring and grindy, not sure what they were thinking besides 'cash grab' but it seems to have failed even at that.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Sloppy posted:

The whole mode is just ridiculously boring and grindy, not sure what they were thinking besides 'cash grab' but it seems to have failed even at that.

It seems that much like Duels they released an unfinished game mode that no one put nearly enough time or thought into prior to shoveling it out the door.

I am still choked that I blew like 400 gold on those stupid buildings for a game mode I played for all of 2 hours (maybe).

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Starsfan posted:

It seems that much like Duels they released an unfinished game mode that no one put nearly enough time or thought into prior to shoveling it out the door.

I am still choked that I blew like 400 gold on those stupid buildings for a game mode I played for all of 2 hours (maybe).

They worked on it for TWO YEARS

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
when you lose to an in-deck golakka glutton you know it's time to call it a day

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
did it eat your crusty

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Sloppy posted:

I still play it occasionally because you have those 'Deal 100 Nature Damage' daily quests that pop up that you can clear in under three minutes in Mercenaries but I can't imagine what has to be going on in your brain if you log in every day, clear the random tasks and then start grinding for the randomly there/not there legendary coins. There's literally nothing there at all in PvE mode and PvP in the game they created doesn't make any sense.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

NorgLyle posted:

and PvP in the game they created doesn't make any sense.

?

Mercs PvP is the ultimate endgame goal, and is actually pretty interesting. The meta has continued to evolve on a semi-weekly basis, and the decision trees and calculation on Turns 2+ have good depth.

Add in a tournament scene that is budding (I believe the first Open Cup equivalent on Battlefy is next weekend) and already this looks much better than a dud like Duels.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

those 'Deal 100 Nature Damage' daily quests that pop up that you can clear in under three minutes in Mercenaries

I reroll those because I just can't even be bothered opening up Mercs.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

data reaper is out and poison rogue with gnolls is just loving destroying the meta

we need nerfs fast

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Beasteh posted:

data reaper is out and poison rogue with gnolls is just loving destroying the meta

we need nerfs fast

I started playing this last weekend at MTQs, can confirm deck is good.

Also

quote:

You’re statistically more likely to queue into a Rogue disguised as a Priest, than an actual Priest at top legend.

lmao

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-218/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Maestra was a cute enough idea but it ending up in the best class in the format is so freaking bad. It's actually hilarious.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

No Wave posted:

Maestra was a cute enough idea but it ending up in the best class in the format is so freaking bad. It's actually hilarious.

They should give a dust refund so people can cash out of Maestra with the hammer that's coming.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's the kind of card that should have come with a deckbuilding restriction, but just doesn't.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

No Wave posted:

It's the kind of card that should have come with a deckbuilding restriction, but just doesn't.

I mean, until they added Gnolls all Maestra did was make people mulligan wrong and cause neutral cards like Wandmaker to give you off-class cards. The deck's powerful, but the problem is that they overtuned the "reward you for having cards that aren't from your class" payoffs for how easy it is with her.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I mean, until they added Gnolls all Maestra did was make people mulligan wrong and cause neutral cards like Wandmaker to give you off-class cards. The deck's powerful, but the problem is that they overtuned the "reward you for having cards that aren't from your class" payoffs for how easy it is with her.
Yeah, I'm referring to the mulliganing wrong here specifically. In a lot of card games it can feel like the only time you make a real decision and it being stapled to a card that you already want in your deck is pretty rough.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 13, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
vS Data Reaper Report #218

quote:

If you thought Thief Rogue was an oppressive tyrant, look at what Poison Rogue is doing to the rest of the field by just existing at a 13% play rate at top legend (which is quickly rising every day). It is absolutely destroying the format, sinking supposedly strong and competitive decks into Tier 3, while weaker decks are sunk into unplayability. There are only two non-Rogue decks at top legend displaying positive win rates. If Poison Rogue is left alone to run amok for another week or two with this new build, the game might uninstall itself from everyone’s devices.

:shepface:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Kinda sad how one of the best and most diverse metas in a long time has so quickly devolved into such an oppressive and stifling climate. I was having so much fun at the beginning of the month on my climb.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

That "Give Your Hero Stealth" card needs to die. You just do that, use Scabbs and you've basically won the game.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I crafted gold Scabbs at the start of the expansion and pulled a duplicate from free packs later since I already had all the cards by then.

Which I snap dusted.

I'm starting to feel really silly about that decision.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Strawberry Panda posted:

That "Give Your Hero Stealth" card needs to die. You just do that, use Scabbs and you've basically won the game.

Having one card that keeps you guaranteed alive for a turn is fine. Having two is a bit worrisome, but workable. Having three, and the only expensive one also summons two meaningful and evasive bodies, is decidedly not OK.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

orangelex44 posted:

Having one card that keeps you guaranteed alive for a turn is fine. Having two is a bit worrisome, but workable. Having three, and the only expensive one also summons two meaningful and evasive bodies, is decidedly not OK.

Even three cards that guarantee keep you alive for a turn is not a big deal if the class doesn't also have the ability to draw through 70%+ of their deck by turn 5

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Starsfan posted:

if the class doesn't also have the ability to draw through 70%+ of their deck by turn 5

But every class does that now. Except priest of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

You'll notice that the classes who can't turbo through their entire deck by 5 aren't played right now which are warrior, priest and hunter (you see them, but they are merely disguises)

DH, lock and druid have better card draw but they aren't poison rogue or Mozaki mage

I've checked out until balance changes because poison rogue mirrors which boil down to 'who managed to draw and play both cloaks' are insanely boring and bad

e: also whatever they do to rogue they also need to carefully look at mage since any rogue nerfs just make Mozaki mage the strongest most uninteractive deck in the format