Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

yeah you can check out the previous years compared to this year here

friday and saturday always bring in a huge surge of donations as the final bonus games open up

i imagine deltarune will bring in a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Also the last day (last few minutes) is when the sponsor contributions (aside from Yetee and Fangamer who trickle theirs in across the whole marathon) and Twitch revenue get added in. Those usually amount to several hundred thousand dollars in one big chunk at the end.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

Also the last day (last few minutes) is when the sponsor contributions (aside from Yetee and Fangamer who trickle theirs in across the whole marathon) and Twitch revenue get added in. Those usually amount to several hundred thousand dollars in one big chunk at the end.

Yeah, they keep those in reserve in case they want to push for something truly insane.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
That’s really odd, If you had asked me what day 2021 reached a million I would’ve just picked from Sunday to Tuesday. But good! Honestly the worst thing about Agdq is that it takes place in early January when a lot of people got paid early for Christmas and have absolutely no spare change

rox
Sep 7, 2016

these replays are incredible

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the looks of ecstatic joy on these runners when they hit these insane tricks is the best part

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nose boosting in trackmania is so fun y to me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tragic on air firing

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

New thread title: I’ve timed that butt slap.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

save the frames, slap the butts

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Aidan_702 posted:

That’s really odd, If you had asked me what day 2021 reached a million I would’ve just picked from Sunday to Tuesday. But good! Honestly the worst thing about Agdq is that it takes place in early January when a lot of people got paid early for Christmas and have absolutely no spare change
if any GDQ hit a million on the first day I think everyone would absolutely lose their poo poo with hype

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
If these guys are so good, why aren't they using the best car, the van with a foam cowboy hat and finger?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We will hit 1 million tonight but I don't think we will see them hit it in the next half an hour or so.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This Rocket league track poo poo has to be the most boring thing I've ever seen on a GDQ. Anti-hype.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

weekly font posted:

This Rocket league track poo poo has to be the most boring thing I've ever seen on a GDQ. Anti-hype.

Some experiments don't work, sadly

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The skill on display is insane but it just doesn't translate well if you don't know how it works already.

Actual matches of rocket league would be alot better at just going 'wow okay this poo poo is insane'

Playing Superman 64 doesn't evoke the same thing.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It doesn't help that it has the same soundscape as the game from last year where you had to make the VROOM VROOM sounds with your mouth to go

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
might've been a good idea to run this before trackmania insanity, now it just looks lame in comparsion

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I like Rocket League and I understand that this is impressive movement...but I don't need an hour of this.

haha what posted:

yeah you can check out the previous years compared to this year here

Really weird that donations are way up despite average viewer count seems to be way, way lower than previous years. (Current high was 120k for Crash Team Racing mid-day Monday???)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

JethroMcB posted:

Really weird that donations are way up despite average viewer count seems to be way, way lower than previous years. (Current high was 120k for Crash Team Racing mid-day Monday???)

Amouranth turning twitch into a whale site

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

yeah the viewer count seems insanely low. i remember previous gdqs hung around 500k and right now its struggling to hit 100k

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

site posted:

might've been a good idea to run this before trackmania insanity, now it just looks lame in comparsion
yeah I appreciate modders turning rocket league into a trackmania trick map clone, but the high degree of air control the rocket cars have make it look simultaneously much easier and much clunkier than trackmania

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

This track at least looks a bit better than the Superman 64 one, but not compared to Trackmania standards.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Anecodotally none of my friends give a poo poo about the GDQs anymore. Used to be they dominated the chatrooms I was in every marathon, now nobody remarks on them at all. I'm glad they keep pulling in the dollars but it definitely feels like they're in the autumn years of popularity.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

babypolis posted:

yeah the viewer count seems insanely low. i remember previous gdqs hung around 500k and right now its struggling to hit 100k
it's because this showcase is boring

respect to the skills on display but this probably could've ended by now

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tonight's my first night tuning in live so I'm part of that reduced view count. Honestly, I'm just watching VODS on YT and have been for the last few years and it's all COVIDs fault. A room would at least make this somewhat watchable and I imagine it's similar for other games. Just feels like less of an event. This thread should be over 100 pages by now.

e: I imagine the first GDQ back in person is gonna murder records

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
This is...not what I expected a Rocket League speedrun to be

Agent355 posted:

Anecodotally none of my friends give a poo poo about the GDQs anymore. Used to be they dominated the chatrooms I was in every marathon, now nobody remarks on them at all. I'm glad they keep pulling in the dollars but it definitely feels like they're in the autumn years of popularity.

this is like every scene as one cohort ages out of it and others come up behind

the sheer fact that they've been able to keep going without in-person events is an amazing achievement, and a major testament to the hard work they've done to foster a more inclusive community, not just one bringing the same niche in-groups together over and over

elentar fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 13, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

25 more minutes of this... i will go eat dinner lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

it's because this showcase is boring

respect to the skills on display but this probably could've ended by now

nah its been like this all week

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

babypolis posted:

500k is utter insanity and I never remember it being anywhere close to that. The peak I can remember is like 180k viewers.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

“Now we’re onto the fun stuff” after 37 minutes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This needs some music badly TBH

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Internet Kraken posted:

500k is utter insanity and I never remember it being anywhere close to that. The peak I can remember is like 180k viewers.

Yeah, based on that site's chart the all-time record was 250k on the last day of AGDQ 2017...but not for the Super Metroid race or Undertale, but for the tail end of a Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword run???

All the COVID-era GDQs are on the lower end of viewership, counterintuitively. It ain't safe out there, stay home, watch the streams.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Edit: wrong guy!

roomtwofifteen fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 13, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Internet Kraken posted:

500 is nuts but i remember 250ish for major moments like 2-3 years ago. Your Metroids or Mario Maker races.

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah, based on that site's chart the all-time record was 250k on the last day of AGDQ 2017...but not for the Super Metroid race or Undertale, but for the tail end of a Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword run???

All the COVID-era GDQs are on the lower end of viewership, counterintuitively. It ain't safe out there, stay home, watch the streams.

Well there ya go, I almost remembered right

weekly font fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 13, 2022

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
yah this kind of just looks like nonsense. imagine how good a Daytona run would be instead

oh poo poo a milli

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen the stream go over 140k and 100k was a huge deal. If 500k people were streaming it, I think you'd see a metric fuckload of sponsors.

Also apologies to the staff if you got weird brand synergy requests like 4 years ago because I was mentioning it a lot in meetings.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
One million!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

roomtwofifteen posted:

My wife asked me to look up Blaku to figure out his accent, so first thing I found was his Twitter and oh-

maybe he can 'geo guess' why he won't be invited back next year

e: also can GDQ maybe just maybe have someone on staff to do even a minimal amount of vetting? this happens every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

And you know what that means: even more Rocket League!