Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

I was expecting the rear axle to break off and the car would disappear under the ice. Kind of disappointed lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MrYenko posted:

would be converted to a much more mundane (and more powerful) Continental power plant,

Is this the same continental thats been around for like a long rear end time and built industrial Engines for lots of stuff besides just planes?

Just wondering is all. I see lots of old drilling equipment with Continental engines.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Never don’t watch Paul Bertorelli videos. He’s the guy I want to be when I grow up.

:allears:

Ahhhh the Porsche Mooney. The PFM 3200 was the first FADEC GA engine ever certified in the US, and is widely regarded as an engineering triumph for its time. It had a few minor issues that never got corrected due to lack of investment, but they were absolutely correctable if Porsche had seen a return on their investment.

However, it was a sales flop. A catastrophic flop. Over 6 years of production, Porsche built only 80 engines, and Mooney delivered only 41 airplanes. (The engine was used as one-offs in several other airframes.)

See, this was the late eighties. The meat of the GA market were WWII vets who were just beginning to age out of aviation/retire, and the myriad military pilots that resulted from the Cold War and Vietnam. There was still a thriving GA new-build market, and Mooney was simultaneously delivering hundreds of non-Porsche Mooneys.

This is not a market that is going to take kindly to a new-fangled computer managing their engine.

The PFM3200 was praised for easy starting (because it has actual electronic fuel injection instead of continuous-flow fuel injection) and smooth running (because Porsche realized that people buying a $personal airplane$ actually do care about NVH,) but widely panned for its single lever control.

Yes, they were criticized for removing the mixture and prop controls. The entirety of aviation had learned to fly airplanes where everything is completely manual. Where setting power is a dance of checking the chart, reducing RPM, reducing manifold pressure, leaning the mixture, rechecking the manifold pressure, adjusting all of the above, and doing it all over very time you change altitude or power setting. NOT having to do that gave people fits.

“What if it isn’t exactly the right mixture setting?”
“What if I want to run over square, in case I have to go around?”
“What if I want to run under square at cruise?”
“What if I want to run lean of peak?”
“What if I want to run rich of peak?”

It was endless. It was pointless. You cannot talk sense to people like this. I’d put money on at least one of these Luddite fuckers being on Capitol Hill about a year ago. The fact that they didn’t have to worry about all this trivial nonsense and could just fly the godamned airplane for a change apparently never occurred to any of them.

The aforementioned minor issues (valve-spring wear necessitated a 500hr valve-spring replacement interval, which is not great but also never caused an accident) caused some headaches for owners, who began making a ton of noise at Porsche. Porsche promised that a new valve spring package was in design, and would become available to remove the 500hr service interval. In the end, Porsche ended up punted on the changes, probably hoping the program would pick up some popularity and justify further investment. The owners sued. It was ugly.

So the Porsche Mooney failed. They built 40 in 1988, and a single example in 1989. Porsche closed the engine line in 1991, and surrendered the engine type certificate to the FAA in 2007. No further support is a available. At one point Porsche did organize a partially-subsidized re-engining program with a shop in Punta Gorda, Florida. Using IO-550s, your Porsche Mooney would be converted to a much more mundane (and more powerful) Continental power plant, but at least you wouldn’t lose the use of your airplane. It was the last straw.

In 2004, Hurricane Charley tore through the Florida Keys and southwest Florida, on its way up the middle of the state. The contractor’s hangar was destroyed. 22 Porsche Mooneys in various states of conversion were severely damaged or destroyed. All 39 employees at ModWorks not only lost their jobs, they had also all lost their homes in the storm.

The conversion program was over.

The owners continued to sue Porsche, and as late as 2011, a Florida court ruled that Porsche was still potentially liable for damages caused to plaintiffs by their failure to provide a conversion program, though the court simultaneously refused the plaintiffs claims for strict product liability, stating that at no point had anyone brought evidence of anyone sustaining personal injury due to a defective Porsche engine.

TLDR; Boomers are the loving worst, and they not only sued Porsche out of the aviation industry, they stunted the growth of FADEC in GA.

This is an example of the way certification works actively hindering aviation.

Engines are type certified in a very similar way to airplanes themselves. The manufacturer shows the FAA that when an engine is built via this documented process, with these parts, to these standards, it produces this power at this fuel burn with these reliability numbers. The FAA certifies it, and now you can install it in your certified airplane.

Except now you legally can’t change a single part. The valve seats have to be produced of the same material and with the same process as when the engine was certified in 1953. You can theoretically engineer an STC, but engine STCs (other than MOGAS or 94UL STCs for engines that were originally certified on 80/87 AVGAS anyway) are exceedingly rare, due to the costs associated with FAA approval. (An STC has a process tail very similar to certification, except localized to the parts that you’re modifying.)

Certification is a good thing, and we shouldn’t get rid of entirely, but it’s LONG overdue for a complete process overhaul. Replacing completely manually-operated updraft-carbureted 7.5:1 lead-burning air cooled engines is well within our technical ability as a species, if only the FAA would admit that certification stopped being about safety fifty years ago, and started being about bureaucratic box-checking.

The FAA punted once again on part 23 certification, and has essentially driven the piston single market underground, with almost all innovation and probably 90% of new airplanes now being “homebuilt” “experimentals.” It’s not a good system, and it’s yet another serious stain on the FAA’s credibility as a regulator that they can’t seem to see the issues with their overbearing process.

loving hell. I need to stay out of this thread. :v:

Holy hell. Stay in the thread and keep posting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wesleywillis posted:

Is this the same continental thats been around for like a long rear end time and built industrial Engines for lots of stuff besides just planes?

Just wondering is all. I see lots of old drilling equipment with Continental engines.

They were Teledyne Continental for a long time, and certainly built stationary engines and such off and on over the years. It’s absolutely possible. They also made huge numbers of tank engines.

Continental is one of the big two in reciprocating general aviation engines, the other being Lycoming.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Never don’t watch Paul Bertorelli videos. He’s the guy I want to be when I grow up.

Ahhhh the Porsche Mooney. The PFM 3200 was the first FADEC GA engine ever certified in the US, and is widely regarded as an engineering triumph for its time. It had a few minor issues that never got corrected due to lack of investment, but they were absolutely correctable if Porsche had seen a return on their investment.

However, it was a sales flop. A catastrophic flop. Over 6 years of production, Porsche built only 80 engines, and Mooney delivered only 41 airplanes. (The engine was used as one-offs in several other airframes.)

See, this was the late eighties. The meat of the GA market were WWII vets who were just beginning to age out of aviation/retire, and the myriad military pilots that resulted from the Cold War and Vietnam. There was still a thriving GA new-build market, and Mooney was simultaneously delivering hundreds of non-Porsche Mooneys.

This is not a market that is going to take kindly to a new-fangled computer managing their engine.

The PFM3200 was praised for easy starting (because it has actual electronic fuel injection instead of continuous-flow fuel injection) and smooth running (because Porsche realized that people buying a $personal airplane$ actually do care about NVH,) but widely panned for its single lever control.

Yes, they were criticized for removing the mixture and prop controls. The entirety of aviation had learned to fly airplanes where everything is completely manual. Where setting power is a dance of checking the chart, reducing RPM, reducing manifold pressure, leaning the mixture, rechecking the manifold pressure, adjusting all of the above, and doing it all over very time you change altitude or power setting. NOT having to do that gave people fits.

It was endless. It was pointless. You cannot talk sense to people like this. I’d put money on at least one of these Luddite fuckers being on Capitol Hill about a year ago. The fact that they didn’t have to worry about all this trivial nonsense and could just fly the godamned airplane for a change apparently never occurred to any of them.

The aforementioned minor issues (valve-spring wear necessitated a 500hr valve-spring replacement interval, which is not great but also never caused an accident) caused some headaches for owners, who began making a ton of noise at Porsche. Porsche promised that a new valve spring package was in design, and would become available to remove the 500hr service interval. In the end, Porsche ended up punted on the changes, probably hoping the program would pick up some popularity and justify further investment. The owners sued. It was ugly.

So the Porsche Mooney failed. They built 40 in 1988, and a single example in 1989. Porsche closed the engine line in 1991, and surrendered the engine type certificate to the FAA in 2007. No further support is a available. At one point Porsche did organize a partially-subsidized re-engining program with a shop in Punta Gorda, Florida. Using IO-550s, your Porsche Mooney would be converted to a much more mundane (and more powerful) Continental power plant, but at least you wouldn’t lose the use of your airplane. It was the last straw.

In 2004, Hurricane Charley tore through the Florida Keys and southwest Florida, on its way up the middle of the state. The contractor’s hangar was destroyed. 22 Porsche Mooneys in various states of conversion were severely damaged or destroyed. All 39 employees at ModWorks not only lost their jobs, they had also all lost their homes in the storm.

The owners continued to sue Porsche, and as late as 2011, a Florida court ruled that Porsche was still potentially liable for damages caused to plaintiffs by their failure to provide a conversion program, though the court simultaneously refused the plaintiffs claims for strict product liability, stating that at no point had anyone brought evidence of anyone sustaining personal injury due to a defective Porsche engine.

TLDR; Boomers are the loving worst, and they not only sued Porsche out of the aviation industry, they stunted the growth of FADEC in GA.

Engines are type certified in a very similar way to airplanes themselves. The manufacturer shows the FAA that when an engine is built via this documented process, with these parts, to these standards, it produces this power at this fuel burn with these reliability numbers. The FAA certifies it, and now you can install it in your certified airplane.

Except now you legally can’t change a single part. The valve seats have to be produced of the same material and with the same process as when the engine was certified in 1953. You can theoretically engineer an STC, but engine STCs (other than MOGAS or 94UL STCs for engines that were originally certified on 80/87 AVGAS anyway) are exceedingly rare, due to the costs associated with FAA approval. (An STC has a process tail very similar to certification, except localized to the parts that you’re modifying.)

Certification is a good thing, and we shouldn’t get rid of entirely, but it’s LONG overdue for a complete process overhaul. Replacing completely manually-operated updraft-carbureted 7.5:1 lead-burning air cooled engines is well within our technical ability as a species, if only the FAA would admit that certification stopped being about safety fifty years ago, and started being about bureaucratic box-checking.

The FAA punted once again on part 23 certification, and has essentially driven the piston single market underground, with almost all innovation and probably 90% of new airplanes now being “homebuilt” “experimentals.” It’s not a good system, and it’s yet another serious stain on the FAA’s credibility as a regulator that they can’t seem to see the issues with their overbearing process.

This is a great summary of why I gave up getting my private pilot license. There were some personal things that kicked my rear end, but I could have looked in the face of adversary and continued.
I just looked to the future and said "what will I do with this?" the answer was either "buy an airplane that realistically costs $5000/year to maintain (or probably more)." Or "I can build my own plane, do ALL my own mechanical repairs, and be happy."
Turns out I didn't, and still don't have the resources to build my own plane.
But to me as a tinkerer, building is the only option. I can't be arsed to deal with all the historical baggage that comes along with certified aircraft. I don't want to follow a carefully curated list of all the things I'm allowed to touch, and pay someone else to gently caress up the rest.

I want a fuel injected plane, constant speed prop, and single throttle lever to drive the entire thing for under 7 figures, and I could build that. And so could EVERY SINGLE MANUFACTURE, but yea, as you said, tradition.

Also maybe you don't live somewhere cold, but I was flying in central Maine. Dealing with these stupid carbureted motherfuckers in sub-zero temps was an art form. Due to the fact that planes have to use the type certified tiny piece of poo poo lead acid battery, you basically get one chance to start the thing on a really cold day.
Also god forbid it backfires out the carburetor, catches on fire, and the battery is too dead to suck the fire back into the engine. Better know where your fire extinguisher is (i only set a cessna 150 on fire once, don't worry).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Enjoy Breathe-O-Smart!

(Also I chuckled at the idea of old WWII vets going airplane shopping and seeing a GERMAN engine on the price list :bahgawd:)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"Nazi mill? in MY Mooney???!1"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I didn't shoot down 8 Jerries over France just to put their engine in my plane.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

unbuttonedclone posted:

New runflat technology seen at the gas station.

Huh. Someone actually tried the Mad Max fury Road tires. (Look at pictures of the Interceptor before it crashes, specifically the right rear tire.)

e: f,b:

stealie72 posted:

We all knew they were going to rip the rear axle off, but then we got a little treat.

Should have just let it sink.

edit: and as someone who once wanted to fly (I barely passed the FAA ground school exam, but no flight time,) I find the GA chat to be interesting.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Darchangel posted:

Huh. Someone actually tried the Mad Max fury Road tires. (Look at pictures of the Interceptor before it crashes, specifically the right rear tire.)

I'd never noticed this detail on the first 5 watches, which is as good a reason as any to put it on tonight!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Video of me bringing a project car home

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I didn't shoot down 8 Jerries over France just to put their engine in my plane.

*drives off in a prius*

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arson Daily posted:

*drives off in a prius*

*squints* Mit-su-bishi?

They built the planes that bombed pearl harbor!

RIP Cotton.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

at least he got his CDs back

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

buttcrackmenace posted:

at least he got his CDs back

And the Creedence.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

sharkytm posted:

And the Creedence.

But not the Eagles.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

And the Creedence.

Creedence and Clearwater might be involved but I'm not seeing any revival in that things future

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It'll show up looking like brand new on the autobotanik livejournal.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Womp womp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtd1UVcF5f4

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Now that's a money shift.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

IOwnCalculus posted:

Now that's a money shift.

The car would have killed them eventually.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

* curb your enthusiasm theme starts playing *

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was behind this Honda that had a squat.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sometimes, you just gotta go.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I just want to see the reaction from the car he blew past in the tunnel. I bet the driver was laughing their rear end off "hey look, this douchebag showing off blew up their poo poo loooool."

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

MrYenko posted:

Do you have opinions on Jan Eggenfellner trying and failing to put subaru engines in planes? I remember one of his excuses was EFI just not being up to the task of engine control like carbs and magnetos are

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Money shifting: How to turn your flat six into a flat four and three quarters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bonelessdongs posted:

Do you have opinions on Jan Eggenfellner trying and failing to put subaru engines in planes? I remember one of his excuses was EFI just not being up to the task of engine control like carbs and magnetos are

Oh god, I had a roommate who was building an RV-10 in our garage in the 00's and he wouldn't ever stop talking about Eggenfellner. I guess that story didn't end well?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
what ever happened to that guy with the audi engine in his lovely prototype plane?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

He emergency landed or crashed into a field because of some mechanical issue and ever since i've heard nothing about it. He did survive the landing, but his one and only prototype is fuckered.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Data Graham posted:

Oh god, I had a roommate who was building an RV-10 in our garage in the 00's and he wouldn't ever stop talking about Eggenfellner. I guess that story didn't end well?

I think there were one or two crashes and a few engine failures including one where he said an engine was fine after some serious overheating, and he also gained a reputation for spending more time defending his honor on forums and mailing lists than actually developing an engine and transmission that worked.

http://www.meyette.us/engine.htm has some more info

Edit: I'm re-reading this now and it's so much worse than I remember

bonelessdongs fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 18, 2022

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

bonelessdongs posted:

I think there were one or two crashes and a few engine failures including one where he said an engine was fine after some serious overheating, and he also gained a reputation for spending more time defending his honor on forums and mailing lists than actually developing an engine and transmission that worked.

http://www.meyette.us/engine.htm has some more info

Edit: I'm re-reading this now and it's so much worse than I remember

Lol this reads like the star citizen thread.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Somebody had a bad day.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Somebody had a bad day.

I'd like to think that the missing rear wheel, dent, and missing rear window are all related.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

oops

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Man, the parking enforcement doesn't gently caress around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That's the ecodiesel, right? Are they still having DPF regen and EGR cooler issues with fires?

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/ecodiesel-engine-fire-total-loss.66578/

https://dcap.store/product/16-19-dodge-ram-1500-3-0l-eco-diesel-vin-m-8th-digit-engine-motor-fire-damaged/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 23, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It's interesting with new vehicles and the chip shortage, Chev/GM/Ford simply do not have inventory on their lots. LIke, maybe 1-2 vehicles and they might just be for deliveries.

Dodge? loving lot is loaded with trucks. I'm not sure what that means, either they had way better planning OR their trucks are so horrible people would rather go without than a new Dodge.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Can't say I've had any serious complaints with the various Dodge work trucks I've had over the years. Plus after rolling down a hill in one last year (thanks, meth head who drifted into my lane), I respect how well it kept my rear end intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I dunno what happened, I think I've seen the owner sitting in the vehicle in that area while it idled...might have been living in the truck?

this fire happened while we had a long two week stretch of snow/ice