Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

those are turds

but enough about the DS2 haters!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

can i have elden ring now please

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Apologies if this was covered back around Beta time, been keeping myself in the dark. I am trying to make a decision about PC vs PS5 but haven’t see much other than complaints that the PC version may be frame capped. Has anyone seen anything one way or another? Or is it just going to come down to preference?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

7J or J7. the secret island accidentally revealed. he will continue to help any time

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

^burtle posted:

Apologies if this was covered back around Beta time, been keeping myself in the dark. I am trying to make a decision about PC vs PS5 but haven’t see much other than complaints that the PC version may be frame capped. Has anyone seen anything one way or another? Or is it just going to come down to preference?

I don't know the full details, but aren't both versions capped at 60 FPS? I planned on getting it on PC, since I don't want to pay extra for online. Is there any advantage to playing on PS5?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My uncle Satya told me the Xbox version will be uncapped

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

^burtle posted:

i think the only thing that anyone can comment on for sure at this point is from software's pc ports used to be extremely rough at launch, but that's improved greatly over the past 10 years (although not entirely gone away)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

^burtle posted:

I expect both versions to be 100% fine, the PS5 is powerful enough that it should run the game without issues and Fromsoft's recent PC ports have been significantly better as of late, with Sekiro being mostly flawless.

The only hope on the PC side is that Sekiro had a FPS unlocker that didn't cause any issues, so there's potential for something similar in Elden Ring.

bishibosh
Mar 15, 2021

in disbelief that elden ring will be here soon.......

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cowcaster posted:

can i have elden ring now please

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m getting it on the Xbox SX and I hope to god it runs well there because my PC is still missing a GPU and Elden Ring isn’t coming to Switch

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Played it the day it came out and had no issues.

edit: I see

same

DS3 is also, to this day, the only Souls game (remakes included!) where mouse control doesn't have lovely baked-in acceleration or separate X- and Y-axis sensitivities that can't be easily synchronized or some other stupid console bullshit.

Thankfully Sekiro also absolutely nailed this, so my hope is that they've figured things out and future games should be fine.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

god damnit I just realized this is coming out on the last day of my vacation.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

hatty posted:

My favorite Dark Souls 2 thing is that the Covetous Demon was just a dude that ate too much and turned into a slug monster

Before I got the hang of the series I thought he destroyed my whole build instead of just unequipping it. I didn’t come back for a year and I started a whole new char

bows1 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 13, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

DS3 is also, to this day, the only Souls game (remakes included!) where mouse control doesn't have lovely baked-in acceleration or separate X- and Y-axis sensitivities that can't be easily synchronized or some other stupid console bullshit.

It also took from until 2019 to figure out that people might have more than one thing plugged in Windows registered as a "game controller". It's been nice not having to tear out USB plugs just to play one of their games.

Edit: Only partial credit, though, since they don't include DS4 mappings. In the first evening of Sekiro the #1 cause of deaths for me was "Press X".

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

hatty posted:

I’m getting it on the Xbox SX and I hope to god it runs well there because my PC is still missing a GPU and Elden Ring isn’t coming to Switch

i’ve got a ps5 and so preordered the ps5 version… but the network test showed the ps4 version running on a ps5 is the smoothest way to play. might need to buy this dumb game several times

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just imagine, in an alternate, non delay world, we would be playing Elden Ring next week...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Just imagine, in an alternate, non delay world, we would be playing Elden Ring next week...

We don't deserve it. We angered the gods and now must eat poo poo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There was some stuttering on the PS5 in the network test, but that could just be unfinished code/debug stuff/communicating with statistics servers.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I'm kind of surprised that no system requirements have been revealed yet

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

What is this from?

EDIT: Oh that’s the SotC map

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ymgve posted:

There was some stuttering on the PS5 in the network test, but that could just be unfinished code/debug stuff/communicating with statistics servers.

No that's just classic FROM frame-pacing, they can't do steady frames to save their lives. It's been a problem all the way back to their armored core ps1 days. If you want smooth frames either play on PC or play PS4 version backwards-compatible on PS5.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I can't wait to bomb some dodongos.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm getting Elden Ring on PS5 because I want to play it on my big-rear end OLED tv and comfy sofa

also my PC is pretty loving outdated now and probably wouldn't be able to handle Elden Ring all that well compared to a PS5.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm getting Elden Ring on Gameboy Advance

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m gonna get Elden Ring on my Xbox so I can co-op with all my new Xbox friends and say sayonara to all you losers!!!!!

jk I’ll get it on PS5 specifically to co-op with all you losers. that is important to me!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m gonna get Elden Ring on my Xbox so I can co-op with all my new Xbox friends and say sayonara to all you losers!!!!!

jk I’ll get it on PS5 specifically to co-op with all you losers. that is important to me!

I think I read somewhere that it will allow you to make custom groups of people so you can co-op/invade with friends exclusively if you want, which is kinda dope

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hatty posted:

I had planned for a couple years to time building a new PC with Elden Ring's release and wasn't going to due to the GPU poo poo but my boss just gave me a card from work (not anything brand new but a significant upgrade over my 970) so I ended up buying the parts and putting one together. Sad and frustrating that buying a newish card would cost as much as the rest of my new PC combined and I didn't exactly skimp.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Man the area leading up to the Demon of Song is so bad. Why yes I'd love to spend five minutes plinking at mages from behind a pillar then go through two more identical areas.

Walking across the bridge to the Dragon Aerie afterward was pretty rad, at least.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that area is an absolute nightmare

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Shrine of Amana is one of the most frustrating bullshit experiences in Souls. Anor Londo archers never even came close.

I could handle the turret casters, I could handle the enemies hiding under the water until you get close. Even the swampy water slowdown, fine.

But hiding death pits under the water is dick move supreme. Until you memorize where they are, you need a torch out to see them. So no shield and no two-handing, if that's your style. And since you're in water, rolling puts it out too, so no rolling.

On the game's release, the accepted strategy was Lightning Spear binocular sniping - and it felt great, using lightning against enemies standing in water. Then they nerfed the Lightning Spear casts from 20 to 3.

Amana is one of the rare DS2 visual pleasers but ranks tip top for massive bullshit in the series just for how the layers combine to shut down any clever counterplay that isn't "die a lot learning where the death pits are"

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Replaying DS1 for the 3rd time and Im discovering new poo poo in this game.

I have never ever done the darkwraith stuff or killed Gwynevere until now. I knew most of what would happen but re-encountering Ornstein and Smough was genuinely a surprise.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just think, that area used to be worse. These days you're playing the nerfed easier Shrine of Amana.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Grayshift posted:

But hiding death pits under the water is dick move supreme. Until you memorize where they are, you need a torch out to see them. So no shield and no two-handing, if that's your style. And since you're in water, rolling puts it out too, so no rolling.

https://i.imgur.com/OPDUe2K.mp4

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Infinity Gaia posted:

It gives me time to finish Monster Hunter Rise at least!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Hot take: Shrine of Amana was easy as piss even at launch. The mage shots are not hard to juke and the “hidden death pits” are not something you’re going to have problems with if you are remotely sticking to the path.

You can also shield tank the entire loving place with the Rebel’s Greatshield!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You proceed at a snails pace in there but it's not too bad. Blighttown 2.0 and the poison area after I feel are infinitely worse esp if you're early in the game. Just lovely areas to go through.

I hit a wall on my hex guy as I cannot beat the Fume Knight - my dark spear is to loving slow and casting on him is not safe. PLUS I missed 2 things to take out the fire girls on the outside so I have to move him to one side. Gonna go back to my tried and true big smasher but thats really far back so taking it slow.

Also also - they will improve the PS5 performance - they have to.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 more than 3, and more than most of the back half of 1. The criticisms are mostly fair, but it genuinely felt experimental.

Loved the music and vibe of Majula, loved Faith being viable and fun without having to wait until the late game, loved swinging the Craftsman's Hammer. The fact that summoning actually worked within seconds every time I tried it was wild.

Ya totally agree, I don't think it nails all the changes correctly but I liked for trying new things even if it failed in some aspects. I think if the level design and boss design of the main game was as good as the dlc, it would have gotten a much better reception.

Also is there a way Elden Ring is bad? I feel like unless it's a technical mess, at worst it will just be open world DS which still sounds good to me.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
what has already been shown in the network test basically rules out the full version of ER being widely considered anything less than great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ulio posted:

Also is there a way Elden Ring is bad? I feel like unless it's a technical mess, at worst it will just be open world DS which still sounds good to me.