Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Apparently the Dota 2 blog post is also the first any of the actual pro teams heard about the cancellation lmao

Classic Valve

was the ghost a good kisser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Apparently the Dota 2 blog post is also the first any of the actual pro teams heard about the cancellation lmao

Classic Valve

I'm just waiting for Valve to accidentally forget to pay the winners of TI because everyone at Valve thought someone else would handle it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/syndereNDota/status/1481305482518315011

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't understand why these things can't be remote.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
man, gently caress Valve

these players are trying to make a living and the fans are giving you the money to help them do so

stop being dicks

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
They absolutely can, like the qualifiers for example. Valve just can't be bothered to organize or sponsor some extra online tournaments.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

nobody's ever done an online tournament so i can see why valve doesn't want to be the first seems risky

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I hate to be the fatalist, but this truly seems like the point where teams/players are eager to publicly acknowledge that pro DOTA is on its last legs. Unless Valve ties the current and future BP sales to funding unsigned T1/T2 teams moving forward, the whole scene is going to have the bottom drop out. Players used to carry water for Valve because even showing up at TI funded your team for the next season, but what now? Now that major money can simply be withheld and no profit sharing in place, there is legitimately no remaining carrot that Valve can put in front of orgs to make them bankroll currently unsponsored players.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It does feel like that way, and I really hope someone at Valve wakes up and does the right thing and compensates these teams/players who have only just heard of this cancellation now.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Holy poo poo valve is dumb as gently caress

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

It's kind of depressing to compare Riot esports to Valve

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
levels of care slowly slipping away

Riot sucks and league games absolutely suck but they can at least run a tournament

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
these storm vortexes with battlefury am

eg seems recovered from their early DPC fuckups? not that it matters at this point

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Nightfall was the problem

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
also abed storm still good if you don't pick it 5 games in a row

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the least Valve could do is run regional tournaments based on seeding, rewarding prize money + DPC points, and hopefully things will be better for the next major (they won't be)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I know it makes me a rube but I really am shocked that they didn't have any sort of contingency - They ran TI10 in the midst of a Delta surge in Bucharest which saw Cap and at least a few Chinese players get infected, and they didn't even have any sort of thought for "hey, what if things aren't better by the next major?"

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Geight posted:

It does feel like that way, and I really hope someone at Valve wakes up and does the right thing and compensates these teams/players who have only just heard of this cancellation now.

Based on previous gently caress-ups, Valve is going to half-rear end it. It won't be absolutely terrible, but it will in no way address the larger issue of supporting T2, and hell even T1 teams.

I may actually install League so I can learn what the gently caress I'm watching when I try to watch a league tourney.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I may actually install League so I can learn what the gently caress I'm watching when I try to watch a league tourney.

don't bother, games are shite. usually the two teams do nothing but lane for 15 minutes, then poke each other around objectives. rarely a team fight will break out, the team that wins will go get roshan and use that to choke out the other team. sometimes there are really stupid throws.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Geight posted:

I know it makes me a rube but I really am shocked that they didn't have any sort of contingency - They ran TI10 in the midst of a Delta surge in Bucharest which saw Cap and at least a few Chinese players get infected, and they didn't even have any sort of thought for "hey, what if things aren't better by the next major?"

I've heard from an ex-Valve acquaintance that a lot of employees there live in a bubble and think that trends in the Puget Sound apply to the rest of the first world. My guess is that they expect the rest of the world to be heavily vaccinated and making an honest effort to not spread the virus, so surely this DPC would happen right as COVID went away.

That, and honestly, Valve doesn't like to plan for contingencies. They like to throw money at problems and this isn't one that you can just buy your way out of.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

don't bother, games are shite. usually the two teams do nothing but lane for 15 minutes, then poke each other around objectives. rarely a team fight will break out, the team that wins will go get roshan and use that to choke out the other team. sometimes there are really stupid throws.

But what about league?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
It is a tremendous failing that Valve hasn't figured out a non-LAN contingency two years into a global pandemic.

I mean, the pandemic is the most important, most talked about, most impactful social event since perhaps World War II. Meanwhile, Valve is one of the most important companies in an industry which has actually thrived during the pandemic.

They've got the cash. They've got a history of running tournaments. The demand for video games and video game adjacent products is through the roof. The possibility of More Virus was absolutely obvious.

There just isn't an excuse for dropping the ball this badly, especially not at a billion dollar corporation that's a leader in its field. I understand running a pro scene isn't easy, but it feels like it's just a skeleton crew doing this as some kind of sideshow at Valve rather than being a pillar for the company.

Perhaps this is a product of Valve's freeform management structure and the fact that Steam makes so much money that general sloppiness doesn't pose an existential risk to the company.

The players are trying to make a living. They have every right to be furious. The fans too, though this doesn't impact their ability to pay the rent.

I hope it stings enough that Valve fixes this, but like I said above Steam makes so much money that they just don't have to if they don't want to.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Zurreco posted:

I've heard from an ex-Valve acquaintance that a lot of employees there live in a bubble and think that trends in the Puget Sound apply to the rest of the first world. My guess is that they expect the rest of the world to be heavily vaccinated and making an honest effort to not spread the virus, so surely this DPC would happen right as COVID went away.

That, and honestly, Valve doesn't like to plan for contingencies. They like to throw money at problems and this isn't one that you can just buy your way out of.

Isn't Gaben still living in NZ?

It's hilarious (not) that Valve told the teams to stop complaining publicly because it upsets them and makes them less interested in doing Dota stuff.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

It's hilarious (not) that Valve told the teams to stop complaining publicly because it upsets them and makes them less interested in doing Dota stuff.

Community uproar is basically the only leverage anyone has over Valve. Even then things revert to the status quo as soon as they put out the fire.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Please don't go public bc it'll go on reddit then we'll have to actually do something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ragingsheep posted:

Isn't Gaben still living in NZ?

how would we be able to tell

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Zurreco posted:

I mean, if they just paid the players right now that would actually solve a lot of problems pretty quick

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/Cyborgmatt/status/1481449057772052486

So...maybe something?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah the highest priority right now is to get as many people gathered in one place to play, definitely none of the other factors that led to this situation! They don't even know why people are pissed, haha

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/SumaaaaiL/status/1481227341594509315

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Comrade Sumail

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I blame VR and maybe earthshaker golden immortals IMO

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

how would we be able to tell

They'd make more hats to sell

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Geight posted:

I mean, if they just paid the players right now that would actually solve a lot of problems pretty quick

That was in response to them not having a contingency for the major. Obviously them paying players would go a long way.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Zurreco posted:

That was in response to them not having a contingency for the major. Obviously them paying players would go a long way.

Yeah sorry I wasn't tryin to dunk on you this whole situation has just got me really annoyed because Valve absolutely has the money and talent to come up with a better solution to this but the best they've got is "uhhh we'll try to do a LAN I guess??"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Comparing Riot to Valve isn't really an equivalency. Valve is a Billion dollar company, and DOTERS must make like .01 of their revenue, LoL is like 99% of Riot's million dollar revenue.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Comparing Riot to Valve isn't really an equivalency. Valve is a Billion dollar company, and DOTERS must make like .01 of their revenue, LoL is like 99% of Riot's million dollar revenue.

I don't give a poo poo why Valve is bad at doing anything with dota, i just care that they are

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I've always had the impression (based entirely my own anecdotal observations and literally zero hard facts) that Valve suffers from being majority/exclusively rockstar engineers that only want to work on the current hot project . It would explain why there was always a buzz of activity around DOTA2, then CSGO, then Steam Machines, then VR, now the Steamdeck and as soon as the "next thing" appears the established projects are left to rot

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Yeah they’re kind of like google projects in that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I wonder how much might also be due to the vast amount of goodwill as a company garnered from stuff like l4d2 and/or portal 2 a decade ago and just banking on that never drying up despite the increasingly souring reception Valve is getting at least on the comp dota front