Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Oh wow starting from scratch and trading a little at a time to try and scrape together enough money is kinda bleh. Time to get the console commands and just give me enough money to buy some real ships from the start. Console commands are also great for fixing officers fast even though the academys already do this but at a much slower rate.

So modded combat is drastically different beware, even with just a few mods my condor was not equipped to handle the modded ships and their weapons so it promptly got murdered really hard. The space battleship carriers can carry some really loving scary fighter loads like dual PD buoys that will overload your ship in seconds as a loving carrier charges into CQB haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder now what dreadful grimgrog in a thunderbarge mod you have installed because usually modded combat is almost exactly like vanilla.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

commissions don't seem all that much

but then again being a motherfucking space marine only pays 20 credits/month

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Excelzior posted:

Right, but that's enough to buy ~2-3 units of food, and a couple of hundred of those are enough to feed a planet for a month, so I assume that credits are a lot.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Excelzior posted:

It's not that much money, but it's enough to offset your operating costs for most of the midgame at least which is nice during that "struggling to establish yourself" period - in fact, I find it handy for exploration specifically because I no longer have to worry as much about coming back to the core systems to find bounties and make money while I'm screwing around in the middle of nowhere. And of course having access to military shops is nice.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder now what dreadful grimgrog in a thunderbarge mod you have installed because usually modded combat is almost exactly like vanilla.

Pretty much, yeah.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
The only thing I'd say to really watch out for is if you install Luddic Enhancement - You aren't chasing those Drams, they're chasing you.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the LE Drams are so good. they oughta be in vanilla

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The IED drams are definitely one of those things that catch you by suprise once and then just become really fun to pop once you realize what they do.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Good thing they don't come any bigger.

*nervous twitch as the PTSD triggers again*

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

they're hilarious, to fly or to fight

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Next step: Prometheus that launches suicide drams as fighter wings.

Actually, separate question: is there anything in the way that the game is coded that prevents fighters from launching their own fighters?

I am imagining some comedically fractal situation, like capitals launching some outsize, extremely slow fighter-deploying station that drifts towards the enemy while launching death.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 13, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Atopian posted:

Next step: Prometheus that launches suicide drams as fighter wings.

Actually, separate question: is there anything in the way that the game is coded that prevents fighters from launching their own fighters?

I am imagining some comedically fractal situation.

I legit remember a mod where there's a either a weapon or built in fighter bay that launches weaponized drams.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Telsa Cola posted:

I legit remember a mod where there's a either a weapon or built in fighter bay that launches weaponized drams.

I recall this being mentioned in thread but I don't think I ever saw it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Atopian posted:

I recall this being mentioned in thread but I don't think I ever saw it.

I saw the actual mod/image of the weapon or whatever recently while figuring out what mods I wanted.

I wanted to say the ship its part of is essentially a larger prometheus

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I just had the default fast explorer start vs the wonderful musashi light carriers which are basically little moras. Condors have always been pirate/luddite fodder though and definitely need a rebalance for their cost/use. So far i'm loving the ship variety and the musashi ships are really well balanced but take some getting used too. The only thing i'm questioning is the fighters though because they're rather cheap for what they are--those heavy fighters with a rocket pod and 2 LMG's while being shielded and armored is questionable haha. I love the insane weapon varieties like that loving howitzer that lobs an explosive shell but with a slow refire rate but it is basically a mini torpedo and will gently caress up fighters that run into it hahaha. The 1 OP greater range HMG's are a loving great deal, sure they're weaker than LMG's but considering they might not get used in a lotta fights they offer a great savings.

I'd rate musashi and ships & weapons something you can install on your first run. There were so many weird little vanilla ships that sounded great but were terrible like every low tech frigate that wasn't the lasher haha. All of the musashi smaller ships can mount oversized weapons so they'll actually be great in the late game with larger ships because they won't need to get right in the face of larger ships. The increased weapon variety will make you use more ships for longer too.

One mod that every single one of you should install right now is this https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20331.0 object analysis basically tells you whats in the system but not where. No more loving with the neutrino detector wondering if you're missing something now you'll know there's something worth dicking around with it to find it. This is a really great mod too just because you can use it through out the entire game https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4106.0 console commands. I gave myself some money and just bought the big logistics fleet that i usually struggle to build so now i got 2 salvage rigs, 1 super freighter, and 1 super tanker. I didn't enjoy running 30 trade runs just to afford the ships, now i can make fewer trade runs and get to exploring/fighting faster.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Telsa Cola posted:

that's also allegedly part of LE but I've never seen them actually do it

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that's also allegedly part of LE but I've never seen them actually do it

There are two prometheuses out there. One allegedly does this but I've never seen it.

The other one can flux out an Onslaught for approximately the rest of your life.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
What the gently caress are you people trading that takes you so long?

Buy drugs.

Sell drugs to Luddic Path (probably on Lemtis)

You've got like 2 million after 4 trades within the core.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Where are you getting that much drugs, sindra is the biggest surplus at ~400 and i don't think i've ever had more than 600 on me at once. The best route is yama pirates for organics to askonia pirates, grab ore to deliver to the neutrals then grab all the drugs you can in system snatching up some lobsters, sell them to pirates, buy volatiles, sell to sindra to cover you buying all their drugs to sell to the pirates again then back to yama. Lobsters can be pretty insane if you're lucky with them jumping to 300 credits some times.

The key is to hit up all the black market places you can to get cheap fuel/supplies to build up a surplus to fuel exploring and if you get the d mod removing skill you can lug around hulks waiting for them to get fixed then make some more money there too.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
If you want a real get rich quick scheme in this then all you have to do is start a colony mining volatiles. Doesn't have to be massive, just enough to make some bank but the larger the better with time.

Then sell all your orbital lamps to inner system colonies that are cold or dark. Cha-ching.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 13, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best method is to roll up on a pirate base in the core that is decently supplied but has bad accessibility because everyone hates pirates, raid them with like 400 marines and take ALL of their drugs/heavy weapons/etc, then fly to another (preferably one that's always surrounded by hostile Perseans or whatever or one that spawns outside the core) and then resell it. Alternatively if one of the real factions hates you, you can use them as your one stop shop.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Musashi is a lot of fun but I don't know how well-balanced their large weapons are, especially the Tengu Battery + Fujin Rail Gun combination. In theory the idea is that high burst damage and extreme range is compensated for by their long cooldown and high flux cost, but in practice when you do enough burst damage to delete any destroyer at will or to cripple any cruiser you aim at from far beyond their own effective range, that doesn't come into play much - especially if you operate in a large fleet and have multiple batteries keeping the AI from getting too aggressive even if any individual ship is on cooldown.

I mean, I'm not gonna complain too hard because I love battleships in space and I love having ships who rely primarily on slow-tracking heavy mounts that need to be aligned ahead of time for maximum efficiency but I was curbstomping with them harder than I'd ever curbstomped before.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah they're definitely end game ships because that's what i was trying to do in vanilla, long range weapons with swarms of fighters/bombers so i'll likely be taking nearly an entire fleet of them for redacted clearing. I love the aesthetic and smart loving layouts, you don't need 30 weapons when only 15 of them can fire at a time just put loving 15 in intelligently designed turrets. At the same time i'm loving the S&W stuff like the missile destroyers and those spinal mount cruisers--holy gently caress the faction specific stuff like all the lions guard ships having in built solar shields! I love all the ship variety and totally think that the devs should include more ships but at the same time some of these mods are doing an absolutely amazing job.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I have a capital Musashi ship and I just dumpster with it. In theory my shield is awful, I don't have much armor, really my only defence is speed and range and PD, but in reality the AI takes one double Tengu barrage and gets scared, and can't retreat out of my range to vent fast enough even with the hilariously long recharge time of those batteries.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

XIVth Legions are just so great. Nothing like watching it full-burn straight at the enemy spewing cannonfire and hammers. :allears:

I haven't even S-modded the thing yet.

I don't see myself dragging it out too often while exploring and stuff, but when a Pather or Pirate Base is annoying my home system, its time for the XIVth Battlestar to get to work. :black101:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah I have a capital Musashi ship and I just dumpster with it. In theory my shield is awful, I don't have much armor, really my only defence is speed and range and PD, but in reality the AI takes one double Tengu barrage and gets scared, and can't retreat out of my range to vent fast enough even with the hilariously long recharge time of those batteries.

When I get my hands on a few large Musashi weapons I know it's time to transition to fighters/bombers because every frigate/destroyer in the area is about to get blown the gently caress up.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

I saw the actual mod/image of the weapon or whatever recently while figuring out what mods I wanted.

I wanted to say the ship its part of is essentially a larger prometheus

There's also Interstellar Imperium's Apocalypse missile carrier but that's one-shot only.

Is there a limit on the size/stats of fighters? Could you mod in a cruiser-sized "fighter"? I recall there are some mod "fighters" which have frigate level performance.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

There's also Interstellar Imperium's Apocalypse missile carrier but that's one-shot only.

Is there a limit on the size/stats of fighters? Could you mod in a cruiser-sized "fighter"? I recall there are some mod "fighters" which have frigate level performance.

No, sizes are just as big as you want. Though large fighters look really dumb as they take off and land.

Generally people go by rough pixel area size for classifying ship classes, but it's all done manually when creating the ship file.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Matrioshka capital, which spawns a cruiser, which spawns a destroyer, which spawns a frigate, which spawns a fighter, which has a single vulcan. Pew, pew!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Atopian posted:

Matrioshka capital, which spawns a cruiser, which spawns a destroyer, which spawns a frigate, which spawns a fighter, which has a single vulcan. Pew, pew!

The fighter should have drones and the drones should have a MIRV that releases those those janky missiles with guns on them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zudgemud posted:

The fighter should have drones and the drones should have a MIRV that releases those those janky missiles with guns on them.

The fighter launches a guy in a spacesuit to punch the target.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

The fighter launches a guy in a spacesuit to punch the target.

This can actually be done quite easily by making a custom projectile for a gun, you simply make the projectile sprite an angry dude in the flying superman pose.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm surprised kingdom of terra doesn't have a drone that's an angry caveman in a spacesuit that throws spears.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Make a gun that fires marines. Fire enough marines at a ship and you get to keep it after the battle.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Atopian posted:

A fighter that launches two fighters, that each launch two more fighters, which in turn

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

A fighter that launches two fighters, that each launch two more fighters, which in turn

It'd be an interesting gimmick enemy for a unique bounty.

Give them a weapon that does that, but with a ~30 second refire delay. Your job is to burn hard across the map to reach them before hilarity ensues.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Kill the enemy before the enemy melts your CPU?

Edit - because a weapon that shoots fighters doesn't mean it does damage.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's literally a mod fighter that is a slow rear end drone factory that makes a bunch of borers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's basically what the mess from HMI is, when you blow their ships up they explode into a pile of drones and frigates.