Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really enjoying Gears 5 but it's so weird. It feels like I am playing gears when I'm shooting at things, but literally everything else is like "We need to make a Sony game" which isn't bad, but it's sort of jarring cause I feel like I am playing God of War or Horizon but it's all GOW characters and monsters. The color palette is almost like, playful for lack of better word, which is funny when there's all these monsters running around barking "torment and pestilence!" I"m not sure it totally works but it's also pretty entertaining so whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm really enjoying Gears 5 but it's so weird. It feels like I am playing gears when I'm shooting at things, but literally everything else is like "We need to make a Sony game" which isn't bad, but it's sort of jarring cause I feel like I am playing God of War or Horizon but it's all GOW characters and monsters. The color palette is almost like, playful for lack of better word, which is funny when there's all these monsters running around barking "torment and pestilence!" I"m not sure it totally works but it's also pretty entertaining so whatevs.

I was really disappointed in it because I loved Gears 4 so much. I abandoned it aaages ago when I got it in some promo then gave it another shot on game pass. The robots and new cast put me off first time but it ruled so much. It's like an awesome teen slasher action movie.

Then 5 was just nothing.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m maybe 1/3 in (riding around that sleigh to and fro) and think I might give up. Not doing anything for me either. IDK I enjoyed the others. Maybe it’s the setting.

edit: is there a bunch of different stuff after I sled around this tundra from gate to gate? I’ll stick around if so.

What is the DLC like?

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 13, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno I'm having fun with it. I'm in the santa sleigh ride area as well. I find it more strange than bad. At least it keeps throwing new stuff at me. Pretty different tone than I remember Gears having but I didn't play 4.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm glad we were able to settle our differences Escobarbarian. Really we should be a bit more patient with new posters, lord know we could use a few new faces around here

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I've had the Series S for the past few months as my secondary console alongside my PS5. I bought it purely to play exclusives on, and due to that couldn't justify the expense of the X.

That said, one of the lads at work bought a Series X just before Christmas and didn't get on with it, so I've bought it off him for a ridiculously low price. Excited to give it a go tonight and experience the jump in performance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

am I right in thinking that terminator FPS didn;t get a next gen patch on xbox?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

am I right in thinking that terminator FPS didn;t get a next gen patch on xbox?

This is correct. I'm not sure if it is ever coming.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zerot posted:

This is correct. I'm not sure if it is ever coming.

:( Thanks.
It looks cool, I'll pick it up on PS5

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:( Thanks.
It looks cool, I'll pick it up on PS5

I believe there's also DLC that's PS exclusive, too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got the pdp gaming media remote. It’s nice but the buttons especially on the middle circle thingy are a bit too squishy and (I think this is the case for all media remotes/it’s already well known) it can’t change the volume of my TV even though I turned the option to on in Settings. Still, well worth it not to have to keep turning the controller on and off considering how I’m gonna use this thing as my main media device now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, so the SXremotes ability to quick swap between last pc/last xbox tethered to is fantastic.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

What is the DLC like?

The DLC is short and fun imo. There's no open world stuff, it's just straight up run n gun Gears gameplay on a tropical island. It's also really pretty.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
HITMAN Trilogy coming to Game Pass on the 20th holy gently caress.

I already own all of them but that's an insane package.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1481629949849178121?t=idcPH_7dxZDH7AhQaivkjw&s=19

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I guess I'll finally try these games, get bored and then uninstall them months later when I remember their still taking up space.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo! Will you be able to import the levels from the first two into the third one like that? I’m not really sure how it works (and I guess it doesn’t matter much if they’re all free)

e: ahh if it’s one collection that doesn’t even matter really

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dammit just bought Hitman 3 on PS5. At least it was on sale.

Edit: Xbox stays winning

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh poo poo! Will you be able to import the levels from the first two into the third one like that? I’m not really sure how it works (and I guess it doesn’t matter much if they’re all free)

e: ahh if it’s one collection that doesn’t even matter really

It's all just one download, you get Hitman 3 and it has all the files for 1/2 already and then just buy the levels and it unlocks them in the launcher. I think it's around 70GB total

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Barudak posted:

I guess I'll finally try these games, get bored and then uninstall them months later when I remember their still taking up space.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think I’m any good at the Hitman games because I just get impatient and annoyed when I get spotted randomly but I’ll definitely give them another try because of this

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's definitely a barrier of entry in the new ones with understanding how all the gameplay mechanics work and how it expects you to approach a mission. A lot of people bounce off of the series because of this, but if you take the time to learn it it becomes one of the most satisfying and content filled video game experiences of all time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely a game that rewards patience and creativity. If you approach like a shooter you're going to have a bad time. Some levels can feel tedious, standing around listening into conversations to get intel about how to tackle a mission, but the payoff is always there. Whether that's your jam is up to you.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Doing the larry david gif right now as I just bought the Hitman trilogy in December, but xbox stays winning

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm super biased but I've mentioned before that the HITMAN series is one of the few times with modern gaming that I've felt completely comfortable paying full price + deluxe edition + all DLCs for a game. IOI is just that good.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Barudak posted:

A good thing that next-gen hardware allowed them to bring down the total filesize for the trilogy, otherwise I guess that would have been 200+ gigs :eyepop:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's definitely a game that rewards patience and creativity. If you approach like a shooter you're going to have a bad time. Some levels can feel tedious, standing around listening into conversations to get intel about how to tackle a mission, but the payoff is always there. Whether that's your jam is up to you.

Yeah I could see myself getting into it if I approach it with the right attitude. One of my friends absolutely loves it and has sent me several amazing gifs in the past

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I think Gears fell into the same problem as Halo where they’ve built, purposely or not, a lot of lore and backstory over the past two generations that a relative-to-most-xbox-owners small audience cares very much about that the rest of us sit and watch and are completely unaffected by and left disinterested.

Like, dude, I barely know what this planet is even named, I don’t care about Kat and her grandma. Gimme more ugly monsters to shoot.

Gears peaked when I was chainsawing my way out of a Dune worm but now we get bloodline drama.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

American McGay posted:

HITMAN Trilogy coming to Game Pass on the 20th holy gently caress.

I already own all of them but that's an insane package.

I just bought them on Christmas but this is sick.

American McGay posted:

I'm super biased but I've mentioned before that the HITMAN series is one of the few times with modern gaming that I've felt completely comfortable paying full price + deluxe edition + all DLCs for a game. IOI is just that good.

Each level seems to have enough content for an entire game theres so many different ways to finish them.

If you kind of struggle with this series (and don't mind some spoilers) don't be afraid to look up help for some of the challenges. They're really satisfying to do even if you have to read/see how to do them first.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 13, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hitman is perfect for gamepass since you need to be online anyway to play 90% of the game thanks to their bs drm.
Leaderboard sanctity imo is not a good enough excuse to lock players out of single player content if they are offline but what do i know

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

beggar posted:

Doing the larry david gif right now as I just bought the Hitman trilogy in December, but xbox stays winning

This, but I honestly can't be that mad since I think this will be such a drawn out play, where I just do a level or two over time. Definitely sounds like a game where I need to be in the right mood and not feel rushed because it could be leaving or something.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
As someone who played the first 2 on Steam, does progress sync between PC and console through the IO account, or do I have to replay everything?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

The best thing about the Hitman games is watching Giant Bomb play them, imo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TVGM posted:

As someone who played the first 2 on Steam, does progress sync between PC and console through the IO account, or do I have to replay everything?
Not sure how it will work in "Trilogy" but with 3 they had you link your profile to an IOI account and you could transfer over all your progress from the previous games if you wanted to.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

American McGay posted:

Not sure how it will work in "Trilogy" but with 3 they had you link your profile to an IOI account and you could transfer over all your progress from the previous games if you wanted to.

Beautiful, thanks!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Hitman is godly

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

IOI making a BOnd game has me salivating

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Oh there’s a new hitman map coming too.
Now just add all the missions and maps from blood money

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The only Hitman game I played was the one with the bondage nuns. Also The Anacrusis just dropped on game pass. Anyone want to check it out with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Also The Anacrusis just dropped on game pass. Anyone want to check it out with me?

It looks loving shite lol