Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Surprised to learn today that

Guavanaut posted:

hyperbolic geometry
is a real thing and not just when a maths teacher makes things up in a vain attempt to connect with the class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't understand flat earth people, what is the motive? Who cares? To what nefarious ends would we be being lied to? Why are you going to such lengths to make this theory a thing despite the mountain of evidence against it? Why is this even a thing? What's the best case endgame? Ok so you proved the world is flat, what of it? How does that make a difference to anything in most people's lives? What are you hoping to achieve?

My partner gets a real kick out of flat earthed poo poo but I find it incredibly boring because it feels like the laziest conspiracy theory for the sake of conspiracy theory poo poo, at least QAnoners and 9/11 truthers and, hell, even people saying Avril Lavigne was replaced are trying to say something about systems of power and control and class.

Some people REALLY wanna be the smartest person in the room. Its like being part of this special club for these people.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Earth is flat yo, stop listening to the Globalist agenda.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't understand flat earth people, what is the motive? Who cares? To what nefarious ends would we be being lied to? Why are you going to such lengths to make this theory a thing despite the mountain of evidence against it? Why is this even a thing? What's the best case endgame? Ok so you proved the world is flat, what of it? How does that make a difference to anything in most people's lives? What are you hoping to achieve?

My partner gets a real kick out of flat earthed poo poo but I find it incredibly boring because it feels like the laziest conspiracy theory for the sake of conspiracy theory poo poo, at least QAnoners and 9/11 truthers and, hell, even people saying Avril Lavigne was replaced are trying to say something about systems of power and control and class.
A friend once got a flat earther he knows on speakerphone with a bunch of us for an impromptu AMA. In his case, it basically comes from: if you take a really weirdly literal approach to a really weirdly obtuse interpretation of a few passages of the old testament, the earth is flat. So, start your way from that fundamental axiom & you can reason your way to a bunch of ridiculous nonsense that must be true because otherwise it wouldn't make sense for the world to be flat. That's literally it.

e: here's a thing, you do genuinely have to interpret all of the passages in a really bizarre way & then insist that they are absolutely literally true despite being obvious literary devices, but fundies gonna fund

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 13, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Is this Avril Lavigne thing just millennial "Paul McCartney is dead, see, he's shoeless on Abbey Road album cover!"?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
All I'm saying is #freebritney was a fringe conspiracy theory until it wasn't, so maybe avril lavine really was replaced with a lookalike.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

Is this Avril Lavigne thing just millennial "Paul McCartney is dead, see, he's shoeless on Abbey Road album cover!"?

It's apparently a whole thing, she apparently died in 2003 and was replaced by a clone called Melissa??? :shrug:

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avril_Lavigne_replacement_conspiracy_theory

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

It's apparently a whole thing, she apparently died in 2003 and was replaced by a clone called Melissa??? :shrug:

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avril_Lavigne_replacement_conspiracy_theory

IMO this would really he a waste of cloning tech. Not sure popstars would be the first people I'd clone.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

ThomasPaine posted:

I cannot emphasise enough how hilariously, obviously sus Glasgow is when it comes to property developers getting inexplicably lucky on the back of completely random fires.

For a lot of people it is literally that they just want to be the only person who knows, because that means that they might have some sort of power or feel superior to their peers. I grew up kind of obsessed with the conspiracy theory stuff (9/11 being an inside job was definitely one of those, though I managed to somehow completely swerve all the antisemitism that seems to surround that and instead funnel it into the teenage anti-establishment) and a lot of talk on the forums and in the IRC chatrooms was how people's friends/families/coworkers were so blind to the real truth.

Within those circles you then build up notoriety if you have that one key bit of evidence everyone else has missed. You get followers and worshipers, and hell even "enemies" (perceived or real) to rail against. Maybe you say that the end goal is to shine a light on the whole thing and expose the people you think are wrong, but in reality that's never going to happen. But you'll get a bunch of people saying you're right and at the end of the day that's what people want.

So basically, people like to be told they're right, particularly if it's not the "mainstream" view so they get to be smug about it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

keep punching joe posted:

All I'm saying is #freebritney was a fringe conspiracy theory until it wasn't, so maybe avril lavine really was replaced with a lookalike.

But Free Britney had a logical reasoning behind it.
Her father and other people were controlling her to steal her money. That's horrible but it makes sense.

The "Avril Lavine died in 2003 thing" requires her to have died of an accident. But the record label had a bunch of her songs to release and decided it was better to have a fake Avril Lavine made to keep up the air rather than admit she ever died. Like it moves from a conspiracy to a conspiracy to keep a cover up going.
And it's not like Avril Lavine has been some multimillion dollar money making machine since 2003.

forkboy84 posted:

IMO this would really he a waste of cloning tech. Not sure popstars would be the first people I'd clone.

But this documentary accurately explained it all. And how clones don't have belly buttons so you can tell them apart from real people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JTdAUv9Uik

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 13, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Z the IVth posted:

For all of his endless stream of faults at least Boris does it with consenting adults.

Except for his covid policies.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

A friend once got a flat earther he knows on speakerphone with a bunch of us for an impromptu AMA. In his case, it basically comes from: if you take a really weirdly literal approach to a really weirdly obtuse interpretation of a few passages of the old testament, the earth is flat. So, start your way from that fundamental axiom & you can reason your way to a bunch of ridiculous nonsense that must be true because otherwise it wouldn't make sense for the world to be flat. That's literally it.

e: here's a thing, you do genuinely have to interpret all of the passages in a really bizarre way & then insist that they are absolutely literally true despite being obvious literary devices, but fundies gonna fund
Also there's a bunch of land and resources beyond the ice wall being hidden by NASA so climate change isn't a big deal and I don't have to stop rolling coal down to walmart.

It's a bit like the "nuclear weapons are fake" conspiracy in that it takes a lot more mental effort to believe than not believe, but it makes you sleep easier because the big threats of the world are all made up by a convenient enemy (but you don't really believe in the big enemy either because that would be poo poo scary too).

It's baby eating satanists all the way down.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Question IRL posted:

The "Avril Lavine died in 2003 thing" requires her to have died of an accident. But the record label had a bunch of her songs to release and decided it was better to have a fake Avril Lavine made to keep up the air rather than admit she ever died. Like it moves from a conspiracy to a conspiracy to keep a cover up going.
And it's not like Avril Lavine has been some multimillion dollar money making machine since 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JTdAUv9Uik

And that would work because artists famously have no demand for them after they die suddenly.

That's why you've never heard any songs by Elvis, B.I.G, Tu-Pac, Cobain, Holly, Holiday.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like most people have seen this, but if you’re interested in flat earth poo poo and haven’t, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Some unnamed person in Boris' family has conveniently tested positive, so he's been able to cancel his appointments and hide in a fridge.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

I once tried to figure out how a flat world, generally, would actually work absent fantastical elements like giant turtles and actual magic. First I think you have to assume that gravity is just always universally downwards, and even that was so difficult to think about that I just sort of stopped.

If it has mass, it has gravity. IIRC though for a flat plane to have 1G at it's surface it would have to have enough mass to become a black hole (and would also have to be an infinite plane).

If you assume the flat earth is made from some special material that has a lot more gravity though, it actually works out fine - you're pulled mostly down but also slightly sideways, towards the centre, but you can cancel that out by rotating the disk.

(This is all half-remembered from an Isaac Asimov book I read as a teenager, because I was one of the cool kids, so it could also be completely wrong)

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 13, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The true value of flat earth conspiracies is to make the I loving LOVE SCIENCE types look very stupid though, because they're generally unable to come up with a proof of a round earth. At least some flat-earthers are just doing it for the fun of poking the type of person who loves to boast of how rational and independently-minded they are when their actual arguments boil down to "Neil Degrasse Tyson said it".

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gravity is a gently caress anyway though, who knows how it might work?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, I feel like "either there is a big conspiracy about how gravity, satellites, space photography, air travel, and timezones work, or the earth is just actually round" is a pretty simple proof?

Timezones especially you can just ask an american what the sun is doing and either *~they~* are paying zillions of people to pretend to be american on the internet just to make you think timezones are real, or they are just real.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, I feel like "either there is a big conspiracy about how gravity, satellites, space photography, air travel, and timezones work, or the earth is just actually round" is a pretty simple proof?

Right but if I were to ask you, specifically, to prove the earth was round how would you do it? As in with an experiment that could be done by you and maybe one other helper and with only tools available to a layperson?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most people couldn't come up with an independent proof of evolution either, and the whole thing sounds very unlikely, and terrible people have used the theory to advance terrible ideas, but the only alternatives are "God did it", "racist God did it and he made the Jews out of snakes", and "something to do with aliens and dimensions that doesn't answer the question" so it's still the better model.

OwlFancier posted:

*~they~* are paying zillions of people to pretend to be american on the internet
That's far more plausible than flat earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEn758DVF9I

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The true value of flat earth conspiracies is to make the I loving LOVE SCIENCE types look very stupid though, because they're generally unable to come up with a proof of a round earth. At least some flat-earthers are just doing it for the fun of poking the type of person who loves to boast of how rational and independently-minded they are when their actual arguments boil down to "Neil Degrasse Tyson said it".

This is true. Flat Earthers love debating people with their own level of science, and mostly to make fun of them when they can't explain the same poo poo they do not understand.
When they get a true scientist, the personal insults start.

Professor Dave has some epic videos showing the world is round without science:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bHqBy92iGM

His 10 Challenges to Flat Earthers is good as well.

Edit: Flat Earthers are the more sane part of the knob head brigade. There's the Mud Flooders which believe there was a massive flood just a few hundred years ago, wiped everything out, and its being covered up.
Then you have the ones that think most stone structures are dead giants.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 13, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right but if I were to ask you, specifically, to prove the earth was round how would you do it? As in with an experiment that could be done by you and maybe one other helper and with only tools available to a layperson?

I probably couldn't, but I don't really think that is a necessary component of the scientific method? I also can't prove that radio waves exist, or tell you how my phone works, but again either they do or there is a big conspiracy that seems infinitely less likely than the normal explanation. You shoot lightning into a metal thing and it goes woooooo and other metal things can hear it doing that. I don't know why it does that but I used to have a radio that worked based on that understanding because you had to put the metal thing where it could hear the big metal thing I can see on the hills.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 13, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I would simply google "picture of earth from space"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Go to the seaside and point out ships disappearing from view from the bottom first as they go over the horizon because of the curvature of the Earth?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Timezones especially you can just ask an american what the sun is doing and either *~they~* are paying zillions of people to pretend to be american on the internet just to make you think timezones are real, or they are just real.

Except that, if you are the wrong type of smart, you can invent complicated systems that explain that faster than anyone can ever understand and analyze them to spot the exact contradiction with everyday regular experience. If, at any point while playing their game, you happen to reference some experience that goes beyond the everyday, like asking ‘what about someone on the ISS looking down?’, you have changed the topic to ‘should you trust elites?’.

And so are functionally indistinguishable from Prince Andrew’s defense lawyer..

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Or the sun is a big rotating spotlight that only illuminates part of the (flat) earth at a time, did you think of that one smartypants?!?!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I would simply google "picture of earth from space"
Trouble is they've got a smartypants "no u prove a negative" answer for literally all of it. The pictures are hoaxes, obviously. Ever been on a boat & seen stuff disappear beneath the horizon? Yeah that's because of a specific optical illusion. Flown into another time zone? Spotlight sun. You always end up back at Owlfancier's Razor: either a zillion things that there is literally no evidence for for are true, or exactly one thing that there is a boatload of evidence for is.

You can't persuade anyone any of this poo poo anyway, because it's all working backwards from an axiomatic belief.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

There's the Mud Flooders which believe there was a massive flood just a few hundred years ago, wiped everything out, and its being covered up.
That must be Americans. I know the Victorian Brits liked building a bunch of twee ahistorical shite but I doubt they took the time to build a 15th century chapel, a 17th century Williamite bridge, a Celtic/Romano-British menhir or a Georgian timber pub that are all things that I could go out and walk and look at right now.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There are so many levels of WTF about the flat earth theory that I'm not even sure what I would be trying to prove.

I mean, video calling someone in Australia and showing how it's simultaneously night for one of us and day for the other ought to establish something, but I'm not sure what the take away would be for a flat-earther there.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The world is round because otherwise the classiest piece of furniture ever wouldn't be accurate.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The world is round because otherwise the classiest piece of furniture ever wouldn't be accurate.

The world is pac-man? They physics of that is even worse!!!!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The point of saying they'll host flat Earthers isn't to debate the merits of Flat Earthers, it's to say "We're so committed to impartiality that we'll even let these wacky characters on" when someone asks why the BBC only seems to host debates between liberal centrists and barely concealed white nationalists or why it hosts the grandson of dictators to lament about the left winning.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^^truth

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Bottles of Martini, Jaeger & what looks like Shackleton (which fair play is a decent enough mid-range blend) kind of undermine this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mud flood:

quote:

The pseudohistorical conspiracy theory about Great Tartaria first appeared in Russia, popularized by Nikolai Levashov, and in Anatoly Fomenko’s New chronology. In Russian pseudoscience, known for its nationalism, Tartaria is presented as the "real" name for Russia, which was maliciously "ignored" in the West (for example, the 2011 film "Great Tartary - Empire of the Rus", posted on YouTube). Since about 2016, conspiracy theories about the supposed lost empire of "Tartaria" have gained some steam on the English-speaking part of the Internet.

The conspiracy is based mostly on a misunderstanding of architectural history. Adherents suppose that demolished buildings such as the Singer Building, or the temporary grounds of the 1915's World's Fair were actually the buildings of a vast empire based in Tartary that has been suppressed from history. Sumptuously styled Gilded Age buildings are often held out as really having been built by the supposed Tartaria. The conspiracy is very light on details, and only vaguely describes how such a supposedly advanced civilization which had reputedly achieved world peace could have fallen and been hidden. The idea that a "mud flood" wiped out much of the world and thus old buildings is common, supported only by the fact that some buildings have basements which had windows. World War I & II are cited as a way in which Tartaria was destroyed and hidden, reflecting the reality that the extensive bombing campaigns of World War II did destroy many historic buildings. The general evidence for the theory is that there are similar styles of building around the world, such as capital buildings with domes, or star forts. However, such designs exist globally due to colonialism by empires such as Britain, Spain, and Portugal, not some lost empire such as Tartaria. The theory reflects a cultural discontent with modernism, and a supposition that traditional styles are inherently good and modern styles are bad.

Like many other conspiracy theories (flat earth, space lizards, NWO) it's a mixture of "my country best" and "old stuff is better than new stuff" with a dash of "it couldn't possibly be that imperialism and fascism hosed up most of the 20th century in horrific ways, here's what really happened"

Interesting that the "old stuff" is mostly late Victorian/fin de siècle in this case, when that era was full of (often overtly nationalist or antisemitic) conspiracies about how all their new stuff was degenerate and terrible and the glory of pre-Revolutionary France or the old Tsars and I guess all reactionaries just want to go back to a simpler time of what they imagined 100 years back was like when they were 12.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Go to the seaside and point out ships disappearing from view from the bottom first as they go over the horizon because of the curvature of the Earth?

That's just caused by light being dragged down by gravity over long distances.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My favourite pseudo-historical conspiracy theory is the Biblical flood/comet impact theory. In which a comet strikes the earth 10,000 years ago, causing catastrophic global flooding and resetting an advanced/global civilization back to stone age times. And big archaeology is suppressing this for... well I dunno... reasons.

I think I pretty much believe it though. It seems fairly benign at least, and reminds me of the plot of chrono trigger.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 13, 2022

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

What about sending an associate to measure the shadow on a building of known height a certain time while you measure another one a known distance away at the same time? You could keep in contact to know it's at the same minute.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Red Oktober posted:

What about sending an associate to measure the shadow on a building of known height a certain time while you measure another one a known distance away at the same time? You could keep in contact to know it's at the same minute.

How? Via phones? Phones are part of the elite conspiracy

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
and what are you measuring the shadows of? Wooden sticks?

Wooden sticks are in on the conspiracy!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I have a feeling that if you asked a flat earther how the flat earth formed from the dust of the universe you'd just get "it didn't, God made it" so why even loving bother? I could claim earth is shaped like my dick because God made it that way and any evidence against it is the devil tricking us

Flat earthers should never be engaged