Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

On the one hand, it makes sense for that Bidoof to perform as well as it did, because of the Exp. Share.

On the other hand, why isn't it evolved yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Maybe it had an Everstone, which is why it kept going after getting whumped so many times?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bidoof was happy being bidoof it was the rest of the world that needed to accept him

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Maybe it had an Everstone, which is why it kept going after getting whumped so many times?

Everstone and Eviolite aren't the same item though, and Eviolite doesn't exist in Sinnoh!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Goddamn, you're right. I'm leaving the thread in shame. :negative:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You're trying to suck out the fun from the short.

So that Golem beat Lucario, gotta assume Golem was in the red and a Rock Smash from Bidoof nailed it. While Staraptor is intimidating, we never see other moves beyond the TM move Hyper Beam. It's possible this is the other trainer's HM Slave, at least with Fly and Defog, and thus just somewhere over lvl 34. Bidoof probably got some incidental levels from situations like accidentally running into Gengar and getting switched out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

loving idiot taught his Staraptor Hyperbeam. Dude clearly had no idea how to use the bird and had no chance of victory.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

its possible that bidoof just loving rules and everyone always underestimates him and when he proves you wrong and wins the drat pokemon championship you suckers are still trying to reason out a way to underestimate him. i love that little guy and relate to him deeply. we are all bidoof.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

loving idiot taught his Staraptor Hyperbeam. Dude clearly had no idea how to use the bird and had no chance of victory.

We see the villa at the end, so I'm thinking this is platinum. Dumbass probably still hasn't internalized the physical/special split, and that Staraptor has Adamant nature.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MorningMoon posted:

You're trying to suck out the fun from the short.

So that Golem beat Lucario, gotta assume Golem was in the red and a Rock Smash from Bidoof nailed it. While Staraptor is intimidating, we never see other moves beyond the TM move Hyper Beam. It's possible this is the other trainer's HM Slave, at least with Fly and Defog, and thus just somewhere over lvl 34. Bidoof probably got some incidental levels from situations like accidentally running into Gengar and getting switched out.

I'm sorry; clearly I should've left the fun sucking to an expert such as yourself

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Bidoof won because he got critical hits wishing to be praised and was able to endure hits because he didn't want his trainer to be sad.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

(Just kidding, nobody ever picked Popplio)

This is from pages ago, but never the less how DARE you.

The Popplio line is a delight and Primarina is my favorite starter final form, love that funky seal mermaid opera singer.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh my God that Bidoof, she's adorable :3:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

We all think we’re Garchomps when really we’re just Bidoofs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

OneMoreTime posted:

Truly inspiring stuff.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is from pages ago, but never the less how DARE you.

The Popplio line is a delight and Primarina is my favorite starter final form, love that funky seal mermaid opera singer.

Can't mention Popplio without talking about the artist who has dedicated his entire online presence to Popplio (also other seals like Gomamon once in a while):

https://twitter.com/sleepy_sealion/status/1477002933644546052

I found this guy years ago because Popplio is also my favorite Pokemon. He was originally drawing Popplio every day but now it's like once or twice every month.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
perhaps I am not seeking out all of the available info, but I feel like we don't know very much about the pokemon game coming out in two weeks

when is the review embargo up?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

OneMoreTime posted:

Im popplio

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

perhaps I am not seeking out all of the available info, but I feel like we don't know very much about the pokemon game coming out in two weeks

There are some leaks in the usual leaky places.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Im popplio

I’m popplio but only when Lana says it mournfully

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm a hoot.
A hoot hoot too

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

we don't and that's clearly their marketing strategy this time

there's probably going to be one more information dump before launch but i don't think they want to give away too much besides the basic premise this time

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

After complaints from social media revealed too much about Sun and Moon during the lead up to Gen 7, Pokemon has been much more reserved when it comes to revealing stuff about the game. This is kind of a double edged sword where people get to experience what the games have to offer first hand instead of a lot of stuff being spoiled for them through pre-release media but also people are often starved for information about the game which drives people to do things like crack the game open and datamine its contents before the game's release.

Also not helped by lot of people being disappointed with the final product, as seen with Sword and Shield and BDSP.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
having never played diamond/pearl, are these worth running through on the switch remakes?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

1024x768 posted:

having never played diamond/pearl, are these worth running through on the switch remakes?

:yeah:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

1024x768 posted:

Having been in the same position, I enjoyed my time in Pearl. That they are very straightforward remakes of older games and it shows in their structures compared to the newer games but Pokemon is Pokemon. I had a good my adventure with my pals.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

1024x768 posted:

Just play platinum

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There is zero reason to play any version of gen4 except platinum. It’s superior in literally every way. Even the graphics and music are better for chrissakes.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

galagazombie posted:

There is zero reason to play any version of gen4 except platinum. It’s superior in literally every way. Even the graphics and music are better for chrissakes.

I own both, but Platinum has gotten super expensive nowadays and that alone is a good reason to play the remakes imho

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 13, 2022

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

galagazombie posted:

BDSP is Gen 8. Despite being faithful remakes of Gen 4 titles, they're still considered Gen 8 games.

Also one could argue that Heart Gold and Soul Silver are also good Gen 4 games that are worth playing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zuzie posted:

BDSP is Gen 8. Despite being faithful remakes of Gen 4 titles, they're still considered Gen 8 games.

Also one could argue that Heart Gold and Soul Silver are also good Gen 4 games that are worth playing.

HGSS are gen4 but they’re not the gen4. And bdsp undo themselves by trying to essentially be the exact same game but worse. Literally just DP but with downgraded graphics and sound.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I thought the music in bdsp was pretty good, I didn't have a problem with it at all. And the graphics are fine to me, clean 3D, nothing extraordinary. The battle arenas looked good, and you can tell that they did put in effort into most of the trainer animations. The little :3 face that the female Breeder trainers make right before they throw out their Pokemon is adorable.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Platinum is expensive to get if you don't own it, DS online is down so you'd need to do in-person trades for trade evolutions, getting Pokémon from Platinum to HOME means beating Gen 5 if you haven't already to transfer them to there with a second DS then Bank then HOME (admittedly BDSP don't actually have HOME support yet but they will), you can't play Platinum on a TV, a whole bunch of moves and the Fairy type exist in BDSP, BDSP has light trainer customisation and following Pokémon... The remakes suffer for not bringing through Platinum's improvements, but there's plenty of reasons to play them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

1024x768 posted:

People like to be massive nerds about this, but yes if you've never experienced the originals, BDSP would be great to run through. Heck I did play the originals to death and I still enjoyed my time with the remakes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

1024x768 posted:

Yeah. There’s some weird design decisions for a modern game that are just imports from DP but it’s a good time. A life-changing gaming experience? No. A good time yes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Arcerus comes out in 14 days, so if you can't find a platinum rom just wait two weeks IMO.

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A life-changing gaming experience? No. A good time yes.

This absolutely summarizes the game(s) perfectly, such a fun time but really not a gamechanger in any sense of the word. Something about this gen though just sinks your teeth into you.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk_bhkDh958

Here’s some new gameplay and all that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

13 minute gameplay preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERAhGia6azE

Edit: drat too slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Skeezy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk_bhkDh958

Here’s some new gameplay and all that.

Some things I noticed:

- You can use Agile style on status moves. I wonder if there's any reason to use Strong style status. Maybe improved accuracy?

- Stealth rock did damage and caused some sort of effect on the Pokemon it hit. Takes damage when switching in and out maybe? Hopefully this comes to Gen 9 too.

- Exp candy spotted in one of the quest rewards

- When the Alpha Walrein knocked out the Raichu the player took damage too. I wonder if you black out if too many of your Pokemon faint in a battle. Or maybe it's based on the move used

RatHat fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 13, 2022