Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

keep punching joe posted:

Was Plato the first person to make up a guy to get mad at?

Nah it was some dude in a cave who got really mad at a made up Woolly Mammoth.

So to understand this we have to imagine that the Garden at Westminster is surrounded by an Ice sheet built by the Elites to keep us out...

Edit: Amateur Lex Luther impersonator Jeff Bezos turned 58 yesterday.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've just seen a combined bubble tea/vape shop and I think they might be the biggest company on Earth by 2025.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've just seen a combined bubble tea/vape shop and I think they might be the biggest company on Earth by 2025.

I'm at the bubble tea shop
I'm at the vape shop
I'm at the combination bubble tea and vape shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qvo7CfEf0

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

:golfclap:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

That's the Phantom Time Hypothesis, which also slaps hard. That's the one where 300 years were just made up, meaning the Carolingians weren't real. Because the Pope & HRE Otto III made it up to justify Otto taking the throne.

New Chronology is better purely because it's even wilder. I can't even begin to sum it up so just read the Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_chronology_(Fomenko)
I started reading that thinking "who on earth would believe that and why?" until I got to the bit where Jesus was Russian and so is Crimea.

Holy Russia nationalism is the mother of many brainworms.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cookie Cutter posted:

I'm at the bubble tea shop
I'm at the vape shop
I'm at the combination bubble tea and vape shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qvo7CfEf0

It's just not right how catchy this song is or how often it pops into my head

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Was Plato the first person to make up a guy to get mad at?
Nice thread serendipity going on:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:
Plato wasn't actually called Plato but probably Aristocles. Plato was a nickname given to him by his wrestling coach meaning "Broad" due to his broad and statuesque chest. One of the most influential philosophers of all time is referred to by a his wrestling handle, a name that essentially means "Swole"..

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

I started reading that thinking "who on earth would believe that and why?" until I got to the bit where Jesus was Russian and so is Crimea.

It's great. One of the more believable conspiracy theories about Russia is that Putin is happy to encourage these sorts of nutters & Zhironovsky & even Aleksandr Dugin (but probably not Limonov of the National Bolsheviks. Also I had totally missed that Limonov is dead) because their more outlandish irredentist policies (which have at some points including annexing all of Europe into a greater Russian leader Eurasian empire) makes his own foreign policy seem reasonable.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Boris caught being a fucker #983135 = no ministers available to talk to press
Someone's mother maybe a spy = Holy shitballs get to the back of the queue to appear on Sky News

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

No, next question.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

it's so similar to our own national delusion: uncontrollable ego and machismo unbound by physical reality

On one hand the Russian people know they're in a nadir of their culture, just like the UK, and make jokes at their own expense and lean into their own miserable existence as a joke (see all the videos about how hosed up everything is in Russia lol we're all drinking our selves to death). Without much warning this turns into "glorious Russia will grow strong, kneel, kneel Europeans, we're going to tactical nuke you if you don't give us your lunch money and also everywhere that has Russian expats is now technically Russia".

The phenomenon of powerful nations sinking into ruin is a really scary thing to behold and that makes me very worried indeed about America. They're so hosed but they also have 3000+ nukes that they have to somehow keep control of while undergoing societal decay over a huge expanse of land.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Phantom time theory is great, also I think it's come up before in this thread but concert pitch 440Hz being HITLER MIND CONTROL pitch [cue spooky music]

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Rustybear posted:

No, next question.
Next week: "Has the Spectator finally disproven Betteridge's law of headlines?"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A friend made this for me, and it's too good not to share

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Nice thread serendipity going on:
A good analogue I read is if Dwayne Johnson got heavy into philosophy, discovered a bunch of radical new theories and toured the world debating at universities, but did it all as The Rock.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rockonic solids :hmmyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the people's elbow would be more effective at changing flat earther's minds than other forms of debate.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He just took out Dr Peterson by exposing the underlying biases in his gynaephobic premise! Bah gawd JR, that man had a family! A weird family, but a family nonetheless!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

THE MOST ELECTRIFYING MAN IN PHILOSOPHICAL ENTERTAINMENT!

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 13, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rustybear posted:

HITLER MIND CONTROL

It's always funny to see them mention how Hitler, the Nazis, Tesla, Soros, Clintons, etc, had all of these secret powerful weapons or groups in order to control the world.
Yet they aren't, never did, and died penniless, or in a fire.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

fuctifino posted:

A friend made this for me, and it's too good not to share

Oh I do not like how that staff member is looking at that small child with the red binder, I don't like that look at all.

Stop that Britain. Stop being like that.

:mad:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
By God that's Diogenes' music I hear!

*barrel rolls down gangway*

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

By God that's Diogenes' music I hear!

*barrel rolls down gangway*

As if there's an honest man in wrestling.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

(Diogenes will be played by Mick Foley)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kind of assume diogenes would just have john cena's entrance music.

Also he would obviously live under the ring and come out occasionally to hit people with a steel chair.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Regarde Aduck posted:

The phenomenon of powerful nations sinking into ruin is a really scary thing to behold and that makes me very worried indeed about America. They're so hosed but they also have 3000+ nukes that they have to somehow keep control of while undergoing societal decay over a huge expanse of land.

True but the USSR literally collapsed into near-anarchy in the 90s and had 10x more nukes than the USA has today at the time and we thankfully haven't seen a nuclear apocalypse.

That may not be entirely encouraging though, because the successor states to the Soviet Union don't seem to have kept particularly great tabs on lots of these weapons. You have to wonder how many of them are still just decaying in long abandoned silos, and I do wonder whether some of them have found their way into the hands of third parties who, for their own reasons, have opted not to use them (yet)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Who is the greatest asshat: Boris Johnson, or the person who makes up cooks conspiracies in defence of Boris Johnson.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

It's always funny to see them mention how Hitler, the Nazis, Tesla, Soros, Clintons, etc, had all of these secret powerful weapons or groups in order to control the world.
Yet they aren't, never did, and died penniless, or in a fire.
It all goes back to the Protocols of Zion and the other frauds that it plagiarized from.

"ooooOOOOoooo we're the scary Jews and we own all media, all banks, all political parties, and all science and art and research"
"Wow, what are you going to do with that?"
"Our ambitions are limitless. We're going to expand voting beyond wealthy male landowners, replace hereditary offices with elected positions, and encourage more rational science instead of woo."

You make your imaginary conspiracy enemy infinitely powerful and coincidentally only want the same moderate reforms as your real political enemy.

It's not too far from there to "Hitler was against smoking indoors (also he had some other political positions)"

ThomasPaine posted:

That may not be entirely encouraging though, because the successor states to the Soviet Union don't seem to have kept particularly great tabs on lots of these weapons. You have to wonder how many of them are still just decaying in long abandoned silos, and I do wonder whether some of them have found their way into the hands of third parties who, for their own reasons, have opted not to use them (yet)
I wonder how many even still work. Or ever would have worked, given a certain percentage of fizzles would be allowable in 70s style throw-everything-you-got MAD.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I kind of assume diogenes would just have john cena's entrance music.

Also he would obviously live under the ring and come out occasionally to hit people with a steel chair.

Hit em' with a steel chair, and biting questions about how they live, and why their opulent life style is obviously bring them little happiness.

Diogenes goes into a ring, he's going to break his opponents spine and uncritical world view about what is really need to live a good life.

Truly why he is remembered as one of the greatest philosophers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oops built the entire nuclear arsenal using fizzle material.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

BEHOLD, A BARB WIRE 2X4

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Oops built the entire nuclear arsenal using fizzle material.
The "nukes are fake" conspiracy is amazingly poor because it all goes back to "NASA had the computational power to CGI the moon landing but not land on the moon" but for thousands of nuclear tests and the citizens of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the British and American atomic veterans and so on.

But there is a much more believable version, that all the ones made for nuclear tests, especially the highly complex multi megaton hydrogen bombs, were works of fine engineering that engineers do when you're watching them, whereas the ones actually fitted in nuclear arsenals were works of engineering that engineers do when they know there's no scenario where they can be held accountable. Nobody is going to scour the wasteland to demand to know why only 60% of them worked.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

True but the USSR literally collapsed into near-anarchy in the 90s and had 10x more nukes than the USA has today at the time and we thankfully haven't seen a nuclear apocalypse.

Ex-Soviet nuclear weapons aren't really that big an issue - the majority of their warheads were MIRVs in ICBMs and SLBMs. These are big bits of kit (from phone box size to maybe half that), which are themselves bolted into very large bits of kit, which are in turn in big, well-defended places. Someone would *probably* have noticed a couple of them going walkies, and the Soviets had actual working permissive action links on them so getting one to go bang isn't just a matter of hooking up a battery and an alarm clock.

The huge worry was always the smaller tactical weapons - not *quite* briefcase nukes, but certainly small enough to fit in the back of a Lada if you fold the seats down - going missing, or at the outside an entire MRBM or two going missing - the latter was considered the absolute worst-case scenario because the entire world is dotted with rocket forces that know how to get a Scud up and down so had they been able to work out the trigger mechanisms they'd have had a ready-made nuclear weapons system. Fortunately the stocks of these had been massively wound down throughout the 80s because of a series of treaties, and the West absolutely flooded the ex-Soviet rocket forces with cash and other assistance to make sure that all of the rest were accounted for.

The most plausible actual threat was large amounts of fissile material going missing - while like I say somebody's going to notice an entire SSN-20 under your coat as you clocked out of Archangelsk, being able to get a couple of cores out of some warheads was something that might have been technically feasible in the early 90s. A state with decent engineering knowhow could probably create viable devices out of them, although it was the prospect of just blowing them up with some Semtex - a "dirty bomb" - that concentrated the paranoia of the 90s and 00s, even if the actual explosion would definitely kill a lot more people than the radioactive contamination.

Just to calm any remaining worries you might have that Luxembourg are suddenly going to become a rogue nuclear state though - the cores of nuclear weapons degrade over time. After 5 years the tritium in a boosted-fission device has decayed enough that it can no longer meaningfully increase the yield, after 10 the lithium deuteride in thermonuclear devices likewise. Pure fission devices remain viable for several hundred years (depending on purity) but the Soviets had no pure fission devices in their inventory by the 70s at the latest - and they were *well* behind in the maintenance of their warheads by the time the Soviet Union fell (one early paranoia about Putin was that the Russians entered a crash programme of maintenance of their weapons as almost his first act in power, and this was used as post-facto justification for the Trident programme, which came on-stream 2 years after the end of the Cold War). Any weapons that did go walkies during the 90s are basically now extremely heavy doorstops.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 13, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

Nobody is going to scour the wasteland to demand to know why only 60% of them worked.

Even better if you imagine they only really bothered with the showpiece test bombs and threw the rest together in an afternoon and went to the pub

Tensions grow to a head, one side pushes the button, the other sees waves of incoming ICBMs and pushes its own, humanity stands ready to witness the apocalypse with bated breath, missiles rain from the sky yet not a single one explodes, suddenly it becomes obvious that each one is as dangerous as a giant firework, history's most awkward diplomatic summit is called the next day

I feel like there's a decent episode of the twilight zone or similar in that somewhere

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The "nukes are fake" conspiracy is amazingly poor because it all goes back to "NASA had the computational power to CGI the moon landing but not land on the moon" but for thousands of nuclear tests and the citizens of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the British and American atomic veterans and so on.

But there is a much more believable version, that all the ones made for nuclear tests, especially the highly complex multi megaton hydrogen bombs, were works of fine engineering that engineers do when you're watching them, whereas the ones actually fitted in nuclear arsenals were works of engineering that engineers do when they know there's no scenario where they can be held accountable. Nobody is going to scour the wasteland to demand to know why only 60% of them worked.

Don't forget Las Vegas got its start as a tourist destination because people would go there to watch the atmospheric tests at the Nevada Test Site - although having been there I'd be willing to entertain a theory that Las Vegas itself is in fact not real.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Even better if you imagine they only really bothered with the showpiece test bombs and threw the rest together in an afternoon and went to the pub

Tensions grow to a head, one side pushes the button, the other sees waves of incoming ICBMs and pushes its own, humanity stands ready to witness the apocalypse with bated breath, missiles rain from the sky yet not a single one explodes, suddenly it becomes obvious that each one is as dangerous as a giant firework, history's most awkward diplomatic summit is called the next day

I feel like there's a decent episode of the twilight zone or similar in that somewhere

Reminds me of the bit in Spike Milligan's war memoirs where, on reading about Hiroshima, one of his fellow soldiers remarks that the atom bomb was way too expensive to waste and they should have dropped old gas ovens full of dog poo poo instead.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ex-Soviet nuclear weapons aren't really that big an issue - the majority of their warheads were MIRVs in ICBMs and SLBMs. These are big bits of kit (from phone box size to maybe half that), which are themselves bolted into very large bits of kit, which are in turn in big, well-defended places. Someone would *probably* have noticed a couple of them going walkies, and the Soviets had actual working permissive action links on them so getting one to go bang isn't just a matter of hooking up a battery and an alarm clock.

The huge worry was always the smaller tactical weapons - not *quite* briefcase nukes, but certainly small enough to fit in the back of a Lada if you fold the seats down - going missing, or at the outside an entire MRBM or two going missing - the latter was considered the absolute worst-case scenario because the entire world is dotted with rocket forces that know how to get a Scud up and down so had they been able to work out the trigger mechanisms they'd have had a ready-made nuclear weapons system. Fortunately the stocks of these had been massively wound down throughout the 80s because of a series of treaties, and the West absolutely flooded the ex-Soviet rocket forces with cash and other assistance to make sure that all of the rest were accounted for.

The most plausible actual threat was large amounts of fissile material going missing - while like I say somebody's going to notice an entire SSN-20 under your coat as you clocked out of Archangelsk, being able to get a couple of cores out of some warheads was something that might have been technically feasible in the early 90s. A state with decent engineering knowhow could probably create viable devices out of them, although it was the prospect of just blowing them up with some Semtex - a "dirty bomb" - that concentrated the paranoia of the 90s and 00s, even if the actual explosion would definitely kill a lot more people than the radioactive contamination.

Just to calm any remaining worries you might have that Luxembourg are suddenly going to become a rogue nuclear state though - the cores of nuclear weapons degrade over time. After 5 years the tritium in a boosted-fission device has decayed enough that it can no longer meaningfully increase the yield, after 10 the lithium deuteride in thermonuclear devices likewise. Pure fission devices remain viable for several hundred years (depending on purity) but the Soviets had no pure fission devices in their inventory by the 70s at the latest - and they were *well* behind in the maintenance of their warheads by the time the Soviet Union fell (one early paranoia about Putin was that the Russians entered a crash programme of maintenance of their weapons as almost his first act in power, and this was used as post-facto justification for the Trident programme, which came on-stream 2 years after the end of the Cold War). Any weapons that did go walkies during the 90s are basically now extremely heavy doorstops.

Well poo poo, that's actually really interesting, thanks.

I didn't know about the west pumping loads of money into making sure things were accounted for, but I guess it would absolutely be in everyone's interest. For some reason I just pictured a bunch of Soviet soldiers and engineers at some barely known silo in rural Tajikistan shrugging and jumping on the lorry back to Moscow in 1991, leaving everything to rot.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't forget Las Vegas got its start as a tourist destination because people would go there to watch the atmospheric tests at the Nevada Test Site - although having been there I'd be willing to entertain a theory that Las Vegas itself is in fact not real.

It's wild to me that they used to do nuclear tests in plain view of a major city. You'd think people would regularly be getting blinded and crashing their cars and generally making GBS threads their pants every time one went off etc. It would have been cool to see I guess.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

umberto eco voice
las vegas is hyper-real

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can hear the chemical warning siren going off across quite a lot of teesside regularly because they test it. To the point that if it actually went off I don't think anybody would notice until they started dissolving.

People taking the same attitude to nuclear explosions seems entirely believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Reminds me of the bit in Spike Milligan's war memoirs where, on reading about Hiroshima, one of his fellow soldiers remarks that the atom bomb was way too expensive to waste and they should have dropped old gas ovens full of dog poo poo instead.

I mean just on how destructive the two nuclear weapons used were, that's pretty much true. Famously there was a fire bombings that did far more damage and killed more people. (https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017...istory/?edg-c=1.

That's obviously discounting the tremendous fear factor the nuclear weapons had. Oh and obviously they were all straight up war crimes. but yeah.