Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

They're all tall boys, except for the boomers and the spitters. :shrug:

Exactly this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Stalkers are short though

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

The Door Frame posted:

Stalkers are short though

Discount jackies.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Spiderwomen

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry to poo poo up this thread about WWZ, but in case anyone wanted to get it for free, and you have Amazon Prime, you can claim it now.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

Sorry to poo poo up this thread about WWZ, but in case anyone wanted to get it for free, and you have Amazon Prime, you can claim it now.

Oh hey, thanks friendo!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Easy anticheat updated before our most recent session and I had no performance problems. Hmmmmmm...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Stanley Pain posted:

How does that work?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Corbeau posted:

Easy anticheat updated before our most recent session and I had no performance problems. Hmmmmmm...

i am shocked that there was a negative impact from anti-cheat software

shocked i say

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone else randomly getting cards from this game right now?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Leal posted:

If you have all the regular cards you’ll get one time use burn cards

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Leal posted:

The steam cards not in game ones are what this is talking about, and yeah I got mine too.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The last three times I used a shotgun burn card the game threw the stupid double barrel secondary shotgun at me. Screw you, game.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Found a good use for the Belgian in my no aim down sights deck. Unlimited secondary ammo, high accuracy and high reload speed make it pretty fun actually

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Found a good use for the Belgian in my no aim down sights deck. Unlimited secondary ammo, high accuracy and high reload speed make it pretty fun actually
Infinite ammo-high secondary deck with a tec9 or belgian is definitely cool as heck and fun, and effective, but also has some downsides. However, i've come around on a slightly modified version for other decks

Basically high-stumble hipfire high accuracy shotgun tec14 build. it's absurdly good at deleting specials (the most threatening part of the game). instead of doing 100% accuracy requiring the use of 3 cards, i do the 50% acc card with hunker down (40% acc), shredder, combat training, mag coupler, silver bullets, marked for death, down in front, shell carrier, scattergun, motor helmet, confident killer, and whatever money card (money grubbers or copper scav) or anything else you want. you just debuff and blow the poo poo out of specials. 3 tec14 shots is pretty much enough to kill any special and you reload fast enough that a few more shots is nbd. tec14 is also absurdly ammo efficiency compared to AA12 or super90 that sg ammo isn't any problem even with another shotgun player. I may want to drop silver bullets for penetration bullets, I'm still considering it.

The use of Quick Kill + Hunker Down lets you toggle between needing that 90% accuracy to hit at range, or leaving it at 50% for horde clear. Plus you can just crouch in mid-air jumps for that accuracy boost so you aren't losing a lot of mobility that way either.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Shotgun builds are really fun. I wish that I got more opportunity to play them.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
Purchasing the upgrades to slots 3, 4, & 5 is such a QOL improvement in this game.

Everything works better when it's purple! Always play your copper cards first.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Have a dedicated loot goblin on the team. More drops means better chances for good items

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

The Door Frame posted:

Have a dedicated loot goblin on the team. More drops means better chances for good items

This can't be overstated.

Copper and Support Scav go into all of my decks. When two or more people are running them, you can spend all your money on item quality upgrade team cards and you'll still be drowning in cash and meds.

Quick Item and Offensive Scav are real nice too.

I actually found one wacky Doc using Quick Item Scav, Medical Professional, Life Insurance, and Rousing Speech.

Lugging around four defibs, if our health went too low she'd just TAC blast our asses and defib us, curing more Trauma than we took from the down, restoring that extra life, and setting our health to the heal % of the Defib quality.

It got pretty silly with Purple defibs being a 100% heal item. Felt like Enemy Territory vanilla where the best way to heal a low health teammate after getting Full Revive as a medic was to shoot/res them.

We called her "Shock Jock Doc". I've been meaning to try that build out myself. It sounds stupid as hell, but... we DID survive.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I’ve been tempted to run a 100% pure support build like that.

I think the secret to this game is leaning full on into whatever your gimmick is because you can do some ridiculous stuff with how the stacks work.

I haven’t built a full SMG build yet, might do that next too now that I’ve got all the SMG cards

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally, I love support cards but don't think one person should be the support card gimp; I like to have all players agree ahead of time to take the same amount and split the burden up. Takes a team of friend to pull off of course.

Actually, can you adjust your deck, or at least pick from your decks, in a pub game? What if you realize two players are both running support card heavy builds or really any builds that over lap?

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
I try to play just amongst friends so that we can coordinate cards like that.

For economy, usually the melee player will take copper scavenger and the rest of us will take money grubbers (which has a very confusing description that doesn't convey how great it really is. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VocpDA_jAng ). We'll pretty much always be able to buy at least one of the team upgrades (often both).

Doc runs support scavenger, the grenadier will run offensive scavenger, and then one of the others may take weapon scavenger.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 13, 2022

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the scavenger cards are also good to train your brain on where to look for stuff that isn't always in the most obvious places

I have found fat stacks of copper in the strangest places, like a 100 stack on top of a vending machine that you can only grab by jumping

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I've come around on this game a little bit since starting but I still have many gripes

The player skins you can unlock for the most part are hilariously low effort. Like changing from dirty tan pants to dirty blue jeans on every single character. Give me some cutoff jorts or heart print boxers for Hoffman please

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Varkas posted:

I try to play just amongst friends so that we can coordinate cards like that.

For economy, usually the melee player will take copper scavenger and the rest of us will take money grubbers (which has a very confusing description that doesn't convey how great it really is. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VocpDA_jAng ). We'll pretty much always be able to buy at least one of the team upgrades (often both).

After watching this video, I started putting money grubbers in just about every deck I have, and I can confirm that even without copper scavenger, I'm able to personally buy one of the upgrades every single level as long as you do a halfway decent job of spotting copper in cars and in the other usual resting places. Like you said, the description is really terrible at describing what it actually does, but so far, I think it's worth a spot in every deck.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Played through Act 2 veteran tonight without a single ghost bullet. They really fixed it.

Honestly, it's kind of wild how much easier the game is when your guns work reliably. Think we're gonna have to bump it up to nightmare next time.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The humvee bleeds when it gets hit by ridden at the end of the jukebox level lol

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

If I intend on playing this solo to see how it is, is there a best character to do so? Do the team effects affect bots at all?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mained Karlee due to her wallhacks showing enemy specials and hazards; as a solo player (or even with bots and in general play) this is very helpful.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Why do I have to press a button to pick up money? There is literally no situation where I would not want to pick up money I'm looking at.

Also, AI, please don't ping literally everything I look at. I know there's ammo in that crate. I opened it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Game is sad compared to Left 4 Dead 2. Really sad when you realize that came out over 10 years ago.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
The most fun in the game is loving around with friends in voice chat.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

TheJadedOne posted:

The most fun in the game is loving around with friends in voice chat pump shotgun with 100% reload speed BOOMCHKBOOMCHKBOOMCHKBOOMCHK

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

No. 6 posted:

Game is sad compared to Left 4 Dead 2. Really sad when you realize that came out over 10 years ago.

No true versus mode is real sad, but other than that super notable shortcoming it’s a deeper and more interesting game IMO.

Which I could def see taking away from the experience if you were just playing to shut your brain off and shoot zombies with friends (not being passive aggressive or throwing shade there btw).

It’s a different game — one that I like a lot more from a gameplay standpoint but not as much from a story standpoint. I think I’ve said this before, but it really depends on what type of player you are.

If you’re in it for the story, you’ll be disappointed by comparison. If you’re in it for gameplay, I think there’s a lot to like, especially since they’ve fixed most of the major complaints/gripes I’ve had with the game.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Fix the bug where if you have Purple rated quick items/health/grenade and the game throws another "Quick Item/Health/Grenade Upgrade" at you if someone buys it congrats you now have regular rear end uncolored items because lol

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
That rules, I love how the large majority of weird bugs in this game only make the game harder

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Cage posted:

Fix the bug where if you have Purple rated quick items/health/grenade and the game throws another "Quick Item/Health/Grenade Upgrade" at you if someone buys it congrats you now have regular rear end uncolored items because lol

my favorite part is that team cards are owned by who bought them so if they leave the game lol gently caress you white quality items again

It's like they designed the game purely with a four stack in mind that always plays together, resuming their save between sessions. Anything else results in weird, weird behavior.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Xaiter posted:

It's like they designed the game purely with a four stack in mind that always plays together, resuming their save between sessions.

They literally did, the lead designer has said as much. That's both the game's strength (if you have a full stack) and weakness (if you don't). At least now that most of the truly game-breaking stuff has been fixed - the whole thing was kind of in shambles on release, but it really is pretty good with a premade group post-patches. Our group actually tried to go back to L4D2 after the initial shine wore off on B4B but we found that L4D2 felt so very... shallow. Extremely well executed, but shallow. B4B's technical problems have overshadowed it, but B4B has a ton to really really like as a game to get deep with.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 19, 2022

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah, a lot of the depth is locked behind card unlocks too. If you can't get through the run and get some of the early good stuff, you aren't really seeing what the game has to offer.
Saw a corruption card I hadn't seen before, a constant damage over time but temporary health on every zombie kill to mitigate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Corbeau posted:

They literally did, the lead designer has said as much. That's both the game's strength (if you have a full stack) and weakness (if you don't). At least now that most of the truly game-breaking stuff has been fixed - the whole thing was kind of in shambles on release, but it really is pretty good with a premade group post-patches. Our group actually tried to go back to L4D2 after the initial shine wore off on B4B but we found that L4D2 felt so very... shallow. Extremely well executed, but shallow. B4B's technical problems have overshadowed it, but B4B has a ton to really really like as a game to get deep with.

B4B is definitely a more fun and interesting game from the perspective of a hardcore dork who loves minmaxing and poo poo. I do really enjoy the game, but burns me out pretty fast now.

L4D2 feels very "simplistic" now, I would say. Not shallow. L4D2 still manages to be a more competently constructed game. I'm never going "And what the gently caress did you expect us to do there?" or "Did that enemy literally spawn 5 inches behind me right after I turned around?"

In a single sentence, B4B has the Hocker and Stinger. The very existence of these two specials automatically make it a significantly less coherent experience that feels like it has any actual depth in its core gameplay.

You WILL get hit. You WILL take unavoidable damage. You ARE at the mercy of RNGesus rolling a Hocker or Spitter swarm, or Monsterous Ferocious Bruisers who deal 80 damage AOE slams and can teleport dash around corners.

It mechanically makes it feel like you have to budget for some degree of unavoidable assfucking from the game no matter how tight your nightmare squad is. That really takes out a huge chunk of the game's potential depth when it's straight up telling you via design some poo poo is just gonna be RNG beyond your control.

L4D doesn't have that degree of insane randomness (barring some unfortunate tank spawns). If I take damage in L4D, I could have done something different to avoid it and it feels like a richer experience just knowing that possibility exists.

B4B doesn't evoke that feeling. It's just eat poo poo, we spawned this Monsterous Bruiser directly on the other side of this doorframe close enough Karlee can see his outline t-posing into existence and then it teleported into a warp speed lunge attack around the corner instantly dealing 80 damage to 3 people with no warning. God forbid the melee tank who was holding the door had to back up for literally one second to avoid instant death from an exploder to the face, your team clearly deserved an instant death Bruiser spawner there.

It's got so much potential, but fuckin hell that horseshit just makes me put the game back on the shelf and play L4D2 just so I can feel like I'm actually in control of the game, not just riding a bucking bronco crashing through the cutlery section of Sonoma Kitchen.