Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Cool someone at my partner’s work went in while their two kids were confirmed positive.

This is Sweden so you aren’t losing tons of money by calling in sick, especially if you have kids, and especially if they are sick.

My partner is a pipe welder so it’s not exactly something to WFH. I’m mad that his safety and health are at risk because some jackass went into work when he has the safety net to stay home and take care of his loving kids. He has more than millions of people could ever want and he squanders it to play typhoid svensson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

teen witch posted:

Cool someone at my partner’s work went in while their two kids were confirmed positive.

This is Sweden so you aren’t losing tons of money by calling in sick, especially if you have kids, and especially if they are sick.

My partner is a pipe welder so it’s not exactly something to WFH. I’m mad that his safety and health are at risk because some jackass went into work when he has the safety net to stay home and take care of his loving kids. He has more than millions of people could ever want and he squanders it to play typhoid svensson.

Someone at my plant came in after a negative test on Monday and on Tuesday they called him mid-shift and told him LOL WHOOPS

It's unavoidable at this point if you work any kind of trade or manufacturing job; in this case it's a boon my plant is shutting down, everyone is skeleton crew and you mostly spend ~3 seconds in the vicinity of a person.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

teen witch posted:

My partner is a pipe welder so it’s not exactly something to WFH.

I don't know much about wielding but can he at least, while walking around work just hold the welding torch on at full, in front of him?

I feel like they would very much encourage everyone to keep a very good social distant, if they felt inclined to do so due to covid or not.

Certainly far from an ideal or OSHA solution, but one I assume many the wielder has though much about during the long months of the pandemic.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's an interesting article about what it's like to live through societal collapse. It's not like post-apocalyptic movies where you can point to a specific date where everything ended and life instantly turned horrible for everyone, it just slowly creeps up and poo poo gets super bad for some people but other people get to pretty much continue life as normal.

https://gen.medium.com/i-lived-through-collapse-america-is-already-there-ba1e4b54c5fc

That's a great little article
I'm struck by his line about how many of us are gazelles grazing while the lions devour one of us on the edge of the herd. Every day

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Spinz posted:

That's a great little article
I'm struck by his line about how many of us are gazelles grazing while the lions devour one of us on the edge of the herd. Every day

I liked that phrase about life not being a movie and you (the reader) not being a star. I sometimes wonder if part of the reason for Coronavirus denial and apathy is because its not a particularly cinematic disease - the early footage of people collapsing in the street or being boarded up in apartments definitely had zombie movie energy, but it hasn't been people in hazmat suits carrying foaming corpses or violently puking black bile or cars piling into each other on intersections. Its been Zoom meetings and a pain in the rear end to get toilet paper and a patina of things being poo poo but tolerable for a lot of us.

I said it in another thread about boomers, but the reason most of them seem to lust for the apocalypse is because they think they'd be able to still go out for brunch the Sunday after.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Disco Pope posted:

I said it in another thread about boomers, but the reason most of them seem to lust for the apocalypse is because they think they'd be able to still go out for brunch the Sunday after.

Absolutely.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
My nextdoor is filled with high risk boomers lamenting that they can't do their morning coffee meetings at McDonalds with their friends because "no one wants to work anymore".

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We're settling in for round 2! First got COVID in Dec of 2020 and we're both fully vaxed since then, but hadn't gotten our boosters yet. I'm showing little/no symptoms but my other half is knocked out in bed on meds right now.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

dr_rat posted:

I don't know much about wielding but can he at least, while walking around work just hold the welding torch on at full, in front of him?

I feel like they would very much encourage everyone to keep a very good social distant, if they felt inclined to do so due to covid or not.

Certainly far from an ideal or OSHA solution, but one I assume many the wielder has though much about during the long months of the pandemic.

“You don’t actually use fire with welding, and you have to close a circuit [to use it]. It’s an electrical current”

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teen witch posted:

“You don’t actually use fire with welding, and you have to close a circuit [to use it]. It’s an electrical current”

That’s arc welding but technically you can use fire depending on the application but I’m not sure any real shops do that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

teen witch posted:

Wielding the power of lightening in your hands should get people to back off. :colbert:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
UK goons, LFTs seems to be available again on gov't site if you want to order. It was news to me at least.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

teen witch posted:

what kind of welding shop doesn't have an oxy kit for this exact scenario?

i suppose you can just improvise with a hot pipe

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

My nextdoor is filled with high risk boomers lamenting that they can't do their morning coffee meetings at McDonalds with their friends because "no one wants to work anymore".

God my mother is the same way

"Well a job is a job" she and my dad were surprised that I pushed back saying "No one wants to work these lovely rear end jobs anymore and be abused for low pay. That's the way the world works now"

She didn't talk politics after that, except for making GBS threads on Trump and McConnell which I'm always ok with

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Here's an interesting article about what it's like to live through societal collapse. It's not like post-apocalyptic movies where you can point to a specific date where everything ended and life instantly turned horrible for everyone, it just slowly creeps up and poo poo gets super bad for some people but other people get to pretty much continue life as normal.

https://gen.medium.com/i-lived-through-collapse-america-is-already-there-ba1e4b54c5fc

So I shouldn't pay my student loans and just wait for the collapse?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Shitwater suggests Omicron may have peaked in Boston

https://twitter.com/ericfisher/status/1481021820677595143
https://twitter.com/ericfisher/status/1481649302732619786

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm glad they exist but I gotta wonder what drives people into a field where you're sampling human poo poo

That thought process is fascinating to me

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Is it raining in boston? I would hope they are scaling this by how much water is coming into the plant, but who knows. I know around here, there is a lot of infiltration from rain, so if they are seeing less something in the poop water it could be either there is less of the something, or more water.

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

blindjoe posted:

Is it raining in boston? I would hope they are scaling this by how much water is coming into the plant, but who knows. I know around here, there is a lot of infiltration from rain, so if they are seeing less something in the poop water it could be either there is less of the something, or more water.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/boston/historic

Looks like it was relatively clear with only a little bit of rain on the 9th.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

blindjoe posted:

Surely the people who spend their lives sampling waste water and analyzing it have never thought of this. You should email them about it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

chainchompz posted:

I think the takeaway is that you'll have to pay them anyway.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

chainchompz posted:

Cockroaches and debt collectors will survive this.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Here's an interesting article about what it's like to live through societal collapse. ....it just slowly creeps up and poo poo gets super bad for some people but other people get to pretty much continue life as normal.

Maybe i'm reading this a little overly pessimistic, but can you really call it societal collapse when this is how most of the rest of the world is at all times?
it's the first time americans get to experience it maybe, but a lot of our generation in eastern europe felt it. lots of the middle east. my parents generation in the uk felt it through thatcher, their parents felt it through the war. etc etc. i imagine you can find examples of 'collapse' through every single generation going back through history.

i guess in reading that my takeaway is not that the world is collapsing, but that america, for a short period of history, was in a protected little bubble that didnt have to experience this.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm glad they exist but I gotta wonder what drives people into a field where you're sampling human poo poo

Considering how effective it seems to be I'm not really surprised epidemiologists are using it. I mean yeah it's poo water but they probably just take a test tube full of it from the treatment plants so it's probably not as nasty as it seems. And it's effective because literally everyone poos even people who don't even know they have covid. I just wish this type of testing was being done in more places.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

Maybe i'm reading this a little overly pessimistic, but can you really call it societal collapse when this is how most of the rest of the world is at all times?
it's the first time americans get to experience it maybe, but a lot of our generation in eastern europe felt it. lots of the middle east. my parents generation in the uk felt it through thatcher, their parents felt it through the war. etc etc. i imagine you can find examples of 'collapse' through every single generation going back through history.

i guess in reading that my takeaway is not that the world is collapsing, but that america, for a short period of history, was in a protected little bubble that didnt have to experience this.

I agree with you. If you roll with that person's take then the US is experiencing a blip off the peak of recovery after centuries of collapse.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

How are u posted:

Surely the people who spend their lives sampling waste water and analyzing it have never thought of this. You should email them about it.

running my garden hose more to confuse the scientists

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Is this why Trump was pushing for the high flow toilet flushers around the start of the pandemic?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Now that antivaxxers are drinking piss, their next step will be hoarding poo poo to keep it out of the sewage system to make the Covid number artificiality low.

:itwaspoo:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

returning to septic tanks for fecal privacy

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I was a surface water quality surveyor for 5 years, then got my Class IV Wastewater license and worked in the lab at a 200 mgd waste water treatment plant. It's more common than you think! :haw: I'm a computer toucher now, and I'm still dealing with poo poo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

poverty goat posted:

returning to septic tanks for fecal privacy

"I DON LIKE BIG GOVMNT UP IN MY poo poo AND THAT MEANS MY poo poo. IT'S MINE I OWN IT" ~The MAGA chud says to the septic tank installer

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I should have bought some BinaxNOW at Walgreens a month ago when they were plentiful but I didn't. Now I have gone to 5 stores around town and nobody has them and their online site doesn't show who does. It just says visit your store for availability. Does anyone know of an online source of home test kits that are known to be semi-reliable? I'd like to have a few kits on hand for the inevitable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

I'm a connoisseur of posts where some rando Kramers in thinking that they spotted a found a fatal flaw in something that a team of technical experts have spent their careers doing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, would probably suggest not ordering from Bonafide Masks at this point, their daily status update emails are getting to be a bit much. Seems like they got slammed but kept taking orders and their backlog is huge.

quote:

Your website said, “we aim to ship within 1-2 days”, why am I waiting over a week? - This language has been on our website for the last 18 months. Due to the unprecedented surge in demand, our time frame for fulfillment is delayed and we have reflected this on our website with new language.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I'm surprised enough people still care about masking properly that there was any surge in orders at all.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The shitwater report.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

I'm surprised enough people still care about masking properly that there was any surge in orders at all.

it's december, people wanna keep their chin warm

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I think becoming unstuck in time is an Omicron symptom, I'm sorry.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

What's it like living in a world where Bob Saget is still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
As expected, SCOTUS blocked the employer vaccine mandate, but not the healthcare worker one.