Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fits my needs posted:

the only reason people think old homes were built better, is cuz only the well built old homes lasted and all the lovely ones collapsed

just curious is this statement testable or not, because it's a very convenient argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

just curious is this statement testable or not, because it's a very convenient argument

well the lovely ones were also intentionally demolished

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

It’s like that OSS productivity sabotage manual except doing it to yourself.

During not emergency, non-pandemic times I totally understand the desire to go slow and get all the data and then some so that we don’t end up back in the 1920s where “pharmaceutical” manufacturers are just putting opium into everything and saying it’s a cure. I also think that the pandemic is a time to act and make decisions, not sit on your hands for months or years.

They do this with the vaccine authorization stuff too where the pharma companies submit their data for emergency use authorization and then the FDA puts out some weak statement saying they will discuss it in a meeting scheduled for the end of next week. Fuckers what’s more important than this?! Meet now!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

well maybe they got demolished because they had minorities living in them, or a highway needed to be there, or both!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pillowpants posted:

My father in laws 53 year old coworker died of COVID today.

He was fully vaccinated.

He tested positive on the 10th.

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will gleefully describe any comorbidities he had and make a few up if necessary.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

isn't this an announcement though?

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
realizing that covid is still going to be around when this goes into effect https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/1481665695322681350?s=21

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

well the lovely ones were also intentionally demolished

What you would really need to know is expected lifetime, all I can say is at least old houses had plumb walls

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i can hand out a million vaccinations
or let 'em all die in exasperation

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rutibex posted:

It's an announcement that they're making an announcement

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was just thinking, it must have been nice to be a boomer. You experienced the 70's in your 20's, got a real nice job with an astronomical paycheck, and had everything handed to you for the next 50 years, and now you get to watch the world you created burn so no one else can enjoy it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pillowpants posted:

My father in laws 53 year old coworker died of COVID today.

He was fully vaccinated.

He tested positive on the 10th.

shorter hospital stays for omicron confirmed

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

people here claim that Americans can't work together towards a collective goal but I would say our mission to infect every single person in the country world is going just swimmingly

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

Lol Jesus

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

loving hell

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pillowpants hospital update WHEN *stamps feet, pounds fists on table* I appreciate everything you do mr. pants

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Business Gorillas posted:

PS my therapy session last night was telling my therapist how to get real N95 masks since the ones her work provides are absolutely fakes lmao

I told my therapist about Auras in November but idk if she wears them because she went WFH in March 2020 and all our sessions have been remote since then.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

There was nothing scientific or medical about the CDC's change in return to work guidance.

It was probably driven by Sleepy Joe WH listening to lobbyists and using the CDC to rubber stamp junk science decisions.

We know why, they told us! The CEO of Delta Airlines called Wallinsky and said "reduce the quarantine, we're running out of flight crew." And they did!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

got my gleason duckbills, the straps are a bit tight on them. definitely better made than the kimberly clark masks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol

https://nypost.com/2022/01/10/covid-shows-aoc-her-views-on-the-virus-are-wrong/amp/ posted:

COVID shows AOC her views on the virus are wrong — and it’s everywhere
By Kyle Smith

So Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has COVID. This is not nature’s judgment, it’s not a sign of irresponsibility, it’s not a sign that she’s been watching Fox News or listening to Joe Rogan (although she probably should — she could learn something). It’s not a sign of anything except that everybody is getting this mothraforking virus, vaccinated or not.

Oh, but also it’s maybe a wee small indicator that AOC’s views of how the virus works have been given the REJECTED stamp by the Celestial Commissar of Irony. Get well soon, Congressperson!

Being young, fit and vaccinated, Ocasio-Cortez is likely to suffer very little from COVID, and I certainly hope that’s how it turns out. But it’s as clear as the mask on your face that the virus is not going to be confined. Like Al Franken, its dirty little hands are everywhere.

Whether you live in a red state or the bluest district of the bluest state and merely spend your Christmas vacation in a red state because that’s the only way to have fun anymore, the virus will probably get you, just as everybody catches colds. Defeating the virus by shunning the unvaxxed is not an option. Note that the copiously vaxxed are superspreading the thing at BuzzFeed parties.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who has advocated for mask mandates, has tested positive for COVID-19 — showing that masks don’t prevent the virus.
Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images

Yes, everyone should get vaccinated, but everyone should also recognize that there are going to be millions of holdouts and that their existence is nothing to worry about. Even in sophisticated, please-let-government-run-everything Europe, vaccine uptake has stalled out: at 75% fully vaccinated in France, 71% in the UK and 68% in Switzerland. It’s at 62% in the US.

The US is and always has been more individualistic and liberty-loving than other countries, so we’re never going to get near 100%, and we’re also younger than other countries, meaning fewer of our people actually need the vaccine against a disease whose impact varies hugely by age.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was pictured maskless in a large crowd at a Miami drag bar. She later tested positive for COVID-19.
Brendon Leslie/FCV

We initially thought that the vaccines would stop infections and hence transmissibility, but that’s as dead as Joe Biden’s dream of being hailed as the new FDR.

The discoverer of the human immunodeficiency virus, Nobel Prize winner Luc Montagnier, noted in the Wall Street Journal, “data from Denmark and the Canadian province of Ontario indicate that vaccinated people have higher rates of Omicron infection than unvaccinated people” and “vaccinated people with breakthrough infections are highly contagious.”

Shunning people who get the virus, and separating out the unvaccinated, and wearing cloth masks as religiously as people put a “Coexist” bumper sticker on their Subarus have all been pointless.

According to new numbers, the number of people receiving the vaccine has stalled out, leaving countries nowhere near a 100 percent vaccinated rate.
EPA/Alberto Valdes

“We are going to protect the vaccinated workers from unvaccinated co-workers,” President Biden said on Sept. 9. No. The vaccinated are already protected (against serious illness) by … the vaccine. If they get the China virus from the unvaccinated, they’ll almost certainly be fine.

A humbled AOC is about as imaginable as Billy Porter guest-hosting for Sean Hannity, but even she must be thinking, “Maybe we should chill out about the recriminations since people do need each other’s company.” After, as The Post put it, AOC was “Caught Maskless Again in Miami Drag Bar,” where she hugged various people in a crowded space, maybe the rest of us can ignore Dr. Doom on TV telling us we shouldn’t socialize even on holidays?

We’re now wrapping up the second year of “two weeks to slow the spread.” We should do what we can to protect the elderly and vulnerable.

But if everyone else is going to get the thing, we might as well get it all over with. Don’t you wish that had already happened?

e: I want to be Celestial Commissar of Irony

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 13, 2022

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Failson posted:

We know why, they told us! The CEO of Delta Airlines called Wallinsky and said "reduce the quarantine, we're running out of flight crew." And they did!

wonder how that staffing situation is going now, even though they got what they wanted it seems like it would just make it spread amongst their passengers and crew even faster, resulting in even more people out.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

it’s not a sign of irresponsibility,

lol shes been maskless restauranting since things open bidened

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

"We’re now wrapping up the second year of “two weeks to slow the spread.” We should do what we can to protect the elderly and vulnerable"

what should we do to protect the elderly and vulnerable??? what does Kyle Smith recommend?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

etalian posted:

There was nothing scientific or medical about the CDC's change in return to work guidance.

It was probably driven by Sleepy Joe WH listening to lobbyists and using the CDC to rubber stamp junk science decisions.

One of my roommates in college got his degree it was a Bachelor of Science in Economics. Maybe it was him who suggested it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

But if everyone else is going to get the thing, we might as well get it all over with. Don’t you wish that had already happened?

it did already happen, and then it happened again, and now it's happening yet again, and after this it will happen again.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

wonder how that staffing situation is going now, even though they got what they wanted it seems like it would just make it spread amongst their passengers and crew even faster, resulting in even more people out.

Look lets just get through this quarter ok? Long term thinking is for weirdos.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Ahahaha gently caress

Thread title

mystes
May 31, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Doesn't the air smell sweeter without a mask?
Depends if you're using saccharine for your fit test

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Rutibex posted:

You know how nowadays movies have trailers for their trailers?
Same thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You know how nowadays movies have trailers for their trailers?
Same thing.
This is a focus group to decide if people like the teaser trailer before they commit to actually making the movie

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Good work, Kitsap county.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://old.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/s3097j/i_actually_hope_the_healthcare_system_breaks/

quote:

It’s not going to be good obviously but our current system is such a mess rn that I think anything would be better. We are at 130% capacity. They are aggressively pushing to get people admitted even with no rooms. We are double bedding and I refused to double bed one room because the phone is broken. “Do they really need a phone?” Yes, they have phones in PRISON. God. We have zero administrative support, we are preparing a strike. Our administration is legitimately so heartless and out of touch I’ve at times questioned if they are legitimately evil. I love my job but if we have a system where I get PUNISHED for having basic empathy I think that we’re doing something very wrong.

You cannot simultaneously ask us to act like we are a customer service business and also not provide any resources for us. If you want the patients to get good care, you need staff. If you want to reduce falls, you need staff. If you want staff, you need to pay and also treat them like human beings.

I hope the whole system burns. It’s going to suck but I feel complicit and horrible working in a system where we are FORCED to neglect people due to poor staffing and then punished for minor issues.

I really like nursing but I’m here to help patients, not our CEO.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

Look lets just get through this quarter ok? Long term thinking is for weirdos.

it honestly really is now, I mean we live in a country whose federal government can change not only every four years, but also every two years, and in fact the balance of the houses may randomly change between those times as well due to special elections for various reasons, and even looking at the party breakdown you can't trust it because dems are feckless. it makes no sense to have a long term outlook in a country governed this way, because the situation in america is almost guaranteed to be vastly different in a years' time no matter who you are and no matter what you do. I used to think it was loving stupid to not look past this quarter's balance sheets, and I guess it mostly probably still is, but this is a deeply ingrained cultural norm at this point. most people live hand to mouth and doing anything else would mean taking the few joys they have in life away for years at a time to try to get a leg up, so who can blame people for not doing that either, on an individual level? this was all true before the usa was on the verge of total collapse and loss of essential fundamental services like medical care, mail services, whatever due to covid. long term thinking is very difficult to engage in these days on every level of our society and the only thing that would change that is having a federal government which is functional, but instead of seizing power easily by catering to the material demands of the people, the dems have made the revolving door government worse with every cycle by capitulating to the exact same assholes who control the GOP, and working for the exact same goals.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

fits my needs posted:

covid is over

media ignores this

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I keep saying that nurses have the greatest revolutionary potential…..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

so like why arn't they sending the n95s yet