Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Nothing to contribute on the DPS Phantom data but just wanted to note that there is infuriating little real data or objective testing that I can find on it. Just a bunch of people reciting advertising copy or saying it feels pretty good. No one seems to be able to quantify how close to wax it is and how durable it is.

EDIT: Searching back in the thread, someone who can actually contribute is incredibleigloo who got the treatment and seems to like it. Hopefully he can chime in and provide his experience.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blister Review has comments and reviews on DPS Phantom from at least four of their reviewers

As with their ski reviews, I found them to be informative. Though all of these are from the first season, none are long term. There is also a 14-page thread on the TGR forums spanning 2018-2021 with people discussing it. General consensus appears to be positive.

I was also considering it on the Moments I have coming, this is the first new skis I've bought since the Phantom treatment came out.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 12, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
least snowfall on record for VT :allears:

MRG was ski on lifts this morning

which is good because you need the whole lift to yourself, by the time you bring the ice skates and boots with chains on them that you'll need for parts of the terrain :laugh:

whatever, I'll ski on ice, it goes fast, brrrr

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have had phantom dps on one set of skis for about 3 years now I think, and one set of skis for one year. I like it and plan to have it applied to all my skis. It is mostly a convenience thing for me. They don't ski quite as good as the first day of a new wax, but they are consistent and ski at like 80% of a good wax. You can wax the skis in addition if you really want to.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I did not realize you could wax on top of phantom

How does it work in wet sticky snow? As well as a high fluoro performance wax?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

least snowfall on record for VT :allears:

MRG was ski on lifts this morning

which is good because you need the whole lift to yourself, by the time you bring the ice skates and boots with chains on them that you'll need for parts of the terrain :laugh:

whatever, I'll ski on ice, it goes fast, brrrr
I'm headed up to Bretton Woods the week of the 24th so I'm constantly checking the weather, they're forecasted for 10-15 inches on Monday, and looks like VT is gonna get some of that too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Varg posted:

I'm headed up to Bretton Woods the week of the 24th so I'm constantly checking the weather, they're forecasted for 10-15 inches on Monday, and looks like VT is gonna get some of that too.

yup, I have my fingers crossed and told my boss I am noping out of work for a couple days if we get anything real!

:lsd:

Has anyone ever gone skiing on a tab of acid? It's something I've wanted to do since about 1998 and just never have. Obviously I would take it easy and stick to easier runs, and have sober people with me and all the normal poo poo one does if consuming weird drugs in public while also wanting to exist in a society.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

yup, I have my fingers crossed and told my boss I am noping out of work for a couple days if we get anything real!
Of course VT will be (hopefully) getting snow when I'm out of town for work. Big question will be if it's enough to open up tree skiing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Friend: hey were going skiing in the middle of the week in March in Park City you should come.

Me: we should try the Marriott or the Westgate or Peaks

Friend: they are all three sold out.

wtf

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Has anyone ever gone skiing on a tab of acid? It's something I've wanted to do since about 1998 and just never have. Obviously I would take it easy and stick to easier runs, and have sober people with me and all the normal poo poo one does if consuming weird drugs in public while also wanting to exist in a society.

Yeah. The thought I had at one point was "boy I've been in the air a long time this is crazy!" And then realized I was basically sitting down on an air bench after launching the biggest jump in the albeit very small park. Then I landed on my rear end!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kiimo posted:

Friend: hey were going skiing in the middle of the week in March in Park City you should come.

Me: we should try the Marriott or the Westgate or Peaks

Friend: they are all three sold out.

wtf

Spring Break

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

A half tab or less is about right for me, usually on a sunny day when I知 going to hike to ski. Full tab+ at the closing day party.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Spring Break

Yeah I guess. I'm old and don't remember how this works but my spring breaks were always late in March instead of like March 9 when I was going to go but maybe everyone else that is old is scheduling early in March to avoid spring breakers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There is a good chance the Park City patrollers will be on strike by then so consider telling your friend you're not interested in crossing a picket line and would rather ski one of the many other, better mountains in the SLC region.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lots of places to stay near Deer Valley but that's a little too fleece for my flannel crowd

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

perhaps they'd be more comfortable in a Motel 6 in SLC and skiing at Solitude, where you get the added benefit of not undermining a ski patroller strike

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Think they値l still be on strike then? Given how negotiations have been going I壇 expect them to kick things off as soon as this weekend, and vail to fold long before spring break.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I would expect Vail to attempt to break the union by hiring scabs (and just generally operating PCMR severely understaffed) and delaying any agreement until long after this season. They've already been trying to negotiate a new contract for over a year, to fold within weeks of a strike would send a powerful message to all other Vail employees that unionization and strikes are a ticket to labor victory. That is exactly the opposite of the message Vail is trying to send here.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 14, 2022

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I don't see how they're going to get scabs unless they pay them ridiculous amounts which would seem to defeat the message Vail wants to send. Other mountains in the area are paying $2.50 more and some are having issues finding staff.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paying scabs way more than the union they're undermining is a time-honored tactic, companies do it all the time. If they can get through the season on scab labor, they can force the union back to the bargaining table in a much weaker position.

One great example is the modern phenomena of travel nurses, who make double or triple what their permanent colleagues get but their entire function is to be scab labor. Since they are only ever in one location for a few months at a time, they have no chance to put down roots and build solidarity to make collective demands.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The article going around Whistler that I'm too lazy to dig up is saying they're offering scabs $600 a day plus travel expenses. But I've only seen the headline, I don't know how true it is so uh massive chunk of salt.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

There may be a deal reached with no strike according to this article:
https://www.parkrecord.com/news/park-city/vail-resorts-pcmr-ski-patrol-reach-tentative-deal-likely-averting-a-strike/

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's good news, it means the threat of a strike worked.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

@epicliftlines and @ski_the_memes_of_production on instagram are both covering the extremely poor working and skiing conditions affecting Vail resorts right now and are actively trying to improve the situation so chuck them a follow if you care.

the only thing I can say about the situation as an Australian is "everything they are complaining about is exactly the same here but has been for longer and for way worse quality resorts" so I sympathise with em.

Vail purchased Perisher Valley in 2015.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

bawfuls posted:

Paying scabs way more than the union they're undermining is a time-honored tactic, companies do it all the time. If they can get through the season on scab labor, they can force the union back to the bargaining table in a much weaker position.

One great example is the modern phenomena of travel nurses, who make double or triple what their permanent colleagues get but their entire function is to be scab labor. Since they are only ever in one location for a few months at a time, they have no chance to put down roots and build solidarity to make collective demands.
Travel nurses are not exactly the same here, and the hospitals are bleeding insane amounts of cash to have travel nurses make up for extreme shortages. Like it would be great for staff nurses to make more, but it wouldn't exactly fix that many hospitals have shortages regardless due to burnout and such.

I'm also really curious if Vail could bring in scab patrollers. You can't just exactly grab random people off the street who could run a loaded sled down expert terrain, let alone the bombing. I'm skeptical there are enough people Vail could poach from other resorts to staff PC without those people being ostracized from their current patrol, but also lol on them being able to do good bombing. If PC patrol went on strike and the mountain didn't close, it's basically Vail assuming no serious injuries would occur which in this lawsuit heavy era is lol.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HookShot posted:

The article going around Whistler that I'm too lazy to dig up is saying they're offering scabs $600 a day plus travel expenses. But I've only seen the headline, I don't know how true it is so uh massive chunk of salt.

The @altnatskipatrol IG account posted an email sent to Attitash patrollers offering that $600, and the SL Trib confirmed it was real. Vail of course said they didn稚 know about it.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/01/08/vail-resorts-prepares/

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Master_Odin posted:

I'm also really curious if Vail could bring in scab patrollers. You can't just exactly grab random people off the street who could run a loaded sled down expert terrain, let alone the bombing. I'm skeptical there are enough people Vail could poach from other resorts to staff PC without those people being ostracized from their current patrol, but also lol on them being able to do good bombing. If PC patrol went on strike and the mountain didn't close, it's basically Vail assuming no serious injuries would occur which in this lawsuit heavy era is lol.
Vail owns a lot of ski resorts in North America. It could pull scabs from a dozen resorts and just run all their mountains with not-quite-enough patrollers.

They値l have to offer a bunch of cash to do it, but that appears to be their plan.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

More than the difficulty of finding folks with the necessary skills, I'm wondering about the impact of having a patrol lacking local institutional knowledge, which as I've gathered (perhaps incorrectly) is a rather important thing with avalanche safety in particular at resorts. Knowing the specific terrain and equipment. I wonder how Vail would view the risks associated with running the resort without that.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

A lot of local news coverage lately has been about how bad things are at Steven痴 Pass so Vail fired the GM there and brought over some interim guy. Unless he can offer more money or housing for staff I知 not sure what he値l do differently. He at least has a history with the mountain, I guess?

They also opened a second level chair for the first time this season! But only because they couldnt start some of the other base chairs following the winter storm over the last week. Assuming they dont get another one working soon it値l just be the single base lift for the three day weekend :shepface:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tweak posted:

A lot of local news coverage lately has been about how bad things are at Steven’s Pass so Vail fired the GM there and brought over some interim guy. Unless he can offer more money or housing for staff I’m not sure what he’ll do differently. He at least has a history with the mountain, I guess?

They also opened a second level chair for the first time this season! But only because they couldnt start some of the other base chairs following the winter storm over the last week. Assuming they dont get another one working soon it’ll just be the single base lift for the three day weekend :shepface:

I can't imagine how awful that would be

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve French posted:

More than the difficulty of finding folks with the necessary skills, I'm wondering about the impact of having a patrol lacking local institutional knowledge, which as I've gathered (perhaps incorrectly) is a rather important thing with avalanche safety in particular at resorts. Knowing the specific terrain and equipment. I wonder how Vail would view the risks associated with running the resort without that.
Sounds like exactly the kind of thing a giant company would downplay and disregard if it means disciplining labor.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Spring Break

Bring Steak.

Gonna meet a buddy who moved down to Arvada tomorrow for some early laps.

Due to some life changes (new child), I have not been able to even test out my new Golden Orca yet. I watched (and shoveled) that last storm system.

None the less, turns are turns. Looking forward to it.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Steve French posted:

I'm sure Vail would downplay it till it caused someone to get hurt or killed and they get sued because the scab patrol wasn't able to adequately respond or mitigate risk.

Institutional knowledge is huge and each resort is different. Where is all your gear stored about the mountain? What are local nicknames for things without official names? What safety signage (slow banners, fencing, trails merging, discos on bamboo, etc) needs to go where? What's the best way down with a sled to the accident or with an injured person? Where might I need a snowmobile to help me pull across long flats or whatever. How do we lift evac the chairlift? All the bits of avalanche mitigation (which I can't speak to). What are the mountain's radio procedure?

Like yeah, they could get scabs I'm sure that could medically do the job, but that's not enough, and I think Vail know this and perhaps why they finally folded after the PC patrol overwhelmingly approved a strike.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 14, 2022

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So snowbird lost a lot of their senior snow safety team and that's exactly what we have been seeing - terrain takes longer to open now because they lost a lot of the institutional knowledge about where to bomb, what to ski cut, where things usually drain, etc etc. Had a couple instances of new patrollers being taken for rides while doing control work. Luckily no deaths. It's so short sighted but also, American capitalism to a T.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Lmfao just lmfao

Edit: on the mountain at Ajax by 930! Not bad.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 15, 2022

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

This winter is the worst. No snow to too much snow to 40F and Vail is loving it all up even worse by running Stevens Pass half staffed.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Lmfao just lmfao

Edit: on the mountain at Ajax by 930! Not bad.

What time did you leave denver?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

What time did you leave denver?

515. There was traffic already building around the hill. Stopped in Avon for coffee, dropped my stuff off at my hotel, and walked to the lift. First time skiing here. Ajax is great.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
new board go fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Dude my new hella wide (28cm) heritage loving rips and I get launched so hard on these groomer rollers. Much fast, many pop