Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Jows posted:

Lol where's the giant loving asterisk with four qualifiers after the "free"?

Guessing they won't be N95 masks. Of all the problems we have right now "shortage of lovely disposable masks" isn't one of them.

Edit Tax

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jows posted:

Free*†

*For qualifying participants living in low-income communities with a concentration of at least 75% residents being pell grant recipients
†Insurance companies will send you bills with threatening language anyway

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LeeMajors posted:

So using the current rolling 7 day average of 791,803 new cases per day, and giving them the benefit of the doubt that the announcement is Monday, we will have 3,959,015 new cases by the time they announce their intention to make better masks available. :thumbsup:

Reported new cases. Actual numbers in reality are probably closer to :rubby:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sarcastro posted:

This is a great point that I don't see very much. It's been astonishing to me to note in the past decade(ish) how many Boomers are still loving working in white-collar jobs that they don't, strictly speaking, "need."

It's not the only factor but it's sure a big one. A decline in workforce participation due to retiring boomers has been predicted for this era for decades, just instead of the gradually predicted decline it turned out to have a component of "millions sticking around post-65 due to economic need or personal decision" through the 2010s, followed by a sudden wave of belated/early retirements due to covid disruption. Millions of excess retirements hitting in a year is disruptive.

It's not all white-collar either: the service sector had a lot of old people too: those who'd been there forever, "keeping myself busy/making ends meet" post-retirement part-timers, those whose old jobs had been obsoleted (or were too physically strenuous), and so on. A lot of times they got the favored/less strenuous positions/hours due to seniority or reasonable lack of ability to put up with back-breaking work and hours. When they just didn't come back after the covid lockdowns, it left openings, or people moving into their jobs to leave the poo poo ones open.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1481654225029369866

Good masks are pretty hard to find around where I am right now.

And now, like rapid antigen tests, they'll be yet harder to find, because this is just the government buying up the existing supply and diverting it to temporary holds from which we can request the masks. That's instead of the masks coming to our local stores on their normal schedules. It's too late, it's a PR move at this stage.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1481665695322681350

Guess Trump really doesn't want to ever do a debate again.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Killer robot posted:

It's not all white-collar either: the service sector had a lot of old people too: those who'd been there forever, "keeping myself busy/making ends meet" post-retirement part-timers, those whose old jobs had been obsoleted (or were too physically strenuous), and so on. A lot of times they got the favored/less strenuous positions/hours due to seniority or reasonable lack of ability to put up with back-breaking work and hours. When they just didn't come back after the covid lockdowns, it left openings, or people moving into their jobs to leave the poo poo ones open.

I said white-collar specifically, since my presumption was that a larger proportion of people that age in blue-collar jobs were in the category of actual need. I certainly don't begrudge a 65+ person who financially needs to keep working, since I also strongly favor changes to our social policies to better address that.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zotix posted:

Yeah, I don't think this is a good take. Most people I know, left, right, center like 'brown people'. Also, many legal 'brown people' don't like undocumented immigrants. Having a secure border is a popular thing among most groups.

Should there be a pathway for undocumented people already in the country to obtain citizenship or residency -> citizenship? Yeah absolutely.

Should we allow everyone into the country that wants in? Probably not.

Should we expand the annual rate of citizenship for new applicants that have gone through the proper process? Yeah.

Actually the entire concept of nationalism is loving stupid drivel dreamt up by white supremacist morons hundreds of years ago to justify their bullshit and atrocities so no, I really don't care if borders exist, because they are relics of a loving horrible time in history that should be left in the dustbin, and we should absolutely welcome a global community.

What the gently caress bond do I have in common with a rich American chud vs somone in another country with my similiar upbringing/ interests/ class as me? loving nothing.

And yes, going to go out on a limb and say the loving morons being more concerned about who can get into their exclusive gated community country club nation, rather than the loving plague hospitalizing their children and grandchildren by the thousands on a daily basis, are absolutely racist. gently caress their opinions about "Illegal immigration (an absolute joke of a term)" or "Border security": opinions can be wrong and stupid

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 13, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

And now, like rapid antigen tests, they'll be yet harder to find, because this is just the government buying up the existing supply and diverting it to temporary holds from which we can request the masks. That's instead of the masks coming to our local stores on their normal schedules. It's too late, it's a PR move at this stage.

on the other hand, it is an improvement over the previous "you miserable filth will die in the street for your insolence, you get nothing" PR strategy

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jows posted:

Also "plans"

I love plans. Don't actually do anything just give me more plans. I want to hug plans.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also "plans"

I love plans. Don't actually do anything just give me more plans. I want to hug plans.
Im actively setting up an exploratory meeting so we can devolp a plan on how to plan on giving you more plans later

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

World Famous W posted:

Im actively setting up an exploratory meeting so we can devolp a plan on how to plan on giving you more plans later

Empanelling a blue ribbon committee to study for 2 years how we can develop a plan

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

PostNouveau posted:

Empanelling a blue ribbon committee to study for 2 years how we can develop a plan

Woa woa woa lets not be too hasty

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Majorian posted:

IIRC the main three of them have all been goons at one point or another.

Felix: almost kicked out of Germany for being annoying
Matt: loud oaf with no ability to modulate the volume of his voice
Will: consistently bullied by large Russian women wherever he goes

yep, checks out

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Thom12255 posted:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1481665695322681350

Guess Trump really doesn't want to ever do a debate again.

That...seems really bad. But I guess there's no way to compel them to do it?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Aren't the debates just meaningless performative theater that are only held out of tradition?

It's not like the questions aren't pre-vetted and everyone has trainers to prepare them for how to answer them.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Aren't the debates just meaningless performative theater that are only held out of tradition?

It's not like the questions aren't pre-vetted and everyone has trainers to prepare them for how to answer them.

Accuse me of cynicism at your leisure, but I've settled into the idea that the debates are just the superbowl of politics - sure, some people are watching for the game, but the real winners are the ones with the broadcast contract and the advertising slots to sell at a premium.

I'd kill to know what a 30 second slot goes for during a presidential debate broadcast.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Trump probably cost himself votes during his first debate with Biden and of course Palin cost McCain the election with her performance.

Now, usually they debates mean nothing other than the media to create horserace narratives.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

That...seems really bad. But I guess there's no way to compel them to do it?

i mean, if there's no benefit to them from going to the debates, and only potential harm, why risk it?

they've got a communications infrastructure good for getting their base out, the idea of 'swing voters' is basically dead at this point, and what few of them remain are not the kind of people who watch political debates as a form of entertainment. what's the value-add to them in putting their septuagenarian rapist up against the other guy's for a few hours?

unlike the Democrats, the Republican Party is a political party, and the purpose of a political party is to establish a party's agenda and then act to advance it. unless there's some secret cadre of nonvoters who will be activated by a democrat crying about how dare My Esteemed Opponent not debate me, this looks like a no-brainer.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

I'd kill to know what a 30 second slot goes for during a presidential debate broadcast.

You don't need to kill, you can just Google it. Nobody is hiding it from you.

https://money.com/presidential-election-debate-ad-costs/

quote:

While the 90-minute debate itself will be have no ads, networks are aggressively selling pre-show and post-debate analysis show ads. According to Variety, CBS is asking for $200,000 to $225,000 for a 30-second spot during its post-debate coverage -- about the same as a typical prime time show. Paul Rittenberg, Executive Vice President of advertising sales for Fox News Channel, told AdWeek the network is expecting a "multimillion-dollar revenue night" for its coverage. Other networks report being sold out or almost sold out of ad slots for all three of the debates.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/presidential-debates-election-night-tv-news-advertising-1234784912/

quote:

Even so, the networks have been able to increase their rates above what they sought in 2016, executives said. In 2016, the broadcast networks were able to charge between $150,000 and $200,000 for a 30-second spot in coverage around the presidential debates, according to Standard Media Index, a tracker of ad spending. Meanwhile, the cable networks sought prices ranging from $40,000 to $103,000.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A touch out of date, but thanks for the suggestion. Went and found this:

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/presidential-debates-election-night-tv-news-advertising-1234784912/:

quote:

Even so, the networks have been able to increase their rates above what they sought in 2016, executives said. In 2016, the broadcast networks were able to charge between $150,000 and $200,000 for a 30-second spot in coverage around the presidential debates, according to Standard Media Index, a tracker of ad spending. Meanwhile, the cable networks sought prices ranging from $40,000 to $103,000.

quote:

Ads in news could be critical to the sector’s fortunes at a time when the pandemic has crimped revenue. Fox News Channel is expected to take in more than $1.15 billion in advertising, according to Kagan, a market-research firm that is part of S&P Global Intelligence, up 8.2% from the approximately $1.07 billion it secured in 2019. MSNBC is expected to capture $601 million this year, down 3.1% from the $620 million it took in last year. And CNN is seen securing $608 million, this year, up 5.2% from the $578 million it captured last year, Kagan says.

quote:

Some of the media outlets are getting creative, offering new ways to place commercial messages around the events. Fox News has created what Collins calls a “second screen experience on digital which people will download on their phones” where they can get real-time polling data and comments from anchors and reporters. It already has a sponsor for the first debate, he says. WarnerMedia, which owns CNN, recently sent a bulletin to media buyers and advertisers telling them they could purchase many elements often for sale around special news coverage, including the ability to put an ad message on a “countdown clock” that would be placed on screen in advance of important broadcasts.

TV networks may have more time to sell than usual, particularly if challenges in vote-counting create drama around election night that continues for several days. Already, Fox News is offering “election week” sponsorships, says Collins, not just ones built around coverage on November 3. “We don’t know when this is going to be decided. It could be 1 in the afternoon. It could be 9 at night,” he says. “We want to offer advertisers the maximum exposure throughout that week.”

Not suspicious at all that our election process is so open to monetization. Trust the official mediators!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
https://twitter.com/thephilosotroll/status/1479163197798027267

Full thread here. Beck has been an rear end in a top hat forever, but promoting Nazi propaganda recently is notable.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

That's literally the link I gave you lol.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How are u posted:

That's literally the link I gave you lol.

i am not at the top of my posting game this morning (which is not a very steep hill to climb to begin with lmao)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Good; bring back the League of Women Voters debates, and the third-party candidates that were included at the LWV's discretion.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Lib and let die posted:

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/presidential-debates-election-night-tv-news-advertising-1234784912/:
Not suspicious at all that our election process is so open to monetization. Trust the official mediators!
so it's just a ploy to shakedown the tv networks for some of that money, "what's in it for me?" is the lesson the gop learned from trump
quid pro...something

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

e: wrong thread, was making a lighthearted joke

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

We first need to run the feasibility study that will be outsourced to a consulting corp. for tens of millions of dollars.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes

The VP even came out directly and send this: "It was a DEBATE hahahaahahaha" when questioned about why her actions don't match up to her most famous debate statement

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

Remembering seeing the ads against public health insurance & drug-price controls during the 2020 dem primary debates. :allears:

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
I for one am glad that debate is over

It never got anyone anywhere anyway

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Remembering seeing the ads against public health insurance & drug-price controls during the 2020 dem primary debates. :allears:

Which always reminded me of the "but government death panels!" reaction to the PPACA trying to pass...because, you know, privately owned death panels with a fiduciary duty are clearly the superior way to go.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Trazz posted:

I for one am glad that debate is over

It never got anyone anywhere anyway

Which debate are you talking about? There several debates in the 2019-20 cycle.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

Which always reminded me of the "but government death panels!" reaction to the PPACA trying to pass...because, you know, privately owned death panels with a fiduciary duty are clearly the superior way to go.

Always a classic:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Always a classic:

B, final answer, Regis.

Trust me, I've had A. It cost(s) me $40,000, and that liar that promised me $2000 only gave me $1400 to help with it!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Always a classic:

But...this...age is...they'd....aaAAAA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mellow Seas posted:

Always a classic:

"Doesn't matter what your policy says, we're denying you" - Insurance Agent.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

"Doesn't matter what your policy says, we're denying you" - Insurance Agent.

The word balloon should be ten times the size and full of legalese that means essentially this when you squint at it for ten minutes

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
How people think insurance works:
Your bill was $1,500. You have a $500 deductible. You pay $500 and the insurance will pay the remaining $1,000.

How insurance really works:
Your bill was $1,500. You have a $500 deductible. Insurance calls hospital and talks them down to only charging you $650. You pay $500 and the insurance pays $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Velocity Raptor posted:

How people think insurance works:
Your bill was $1,500. You have a $500 deductible. You pay $500 and the insurance will pay the remaining $1,000.

How insurance really works:
Your bill was $1,500. You have a $500 deductible. Insurance calls hospital and talks them down to only charging you $650. You pay $500 and the insurance pays $150.

You will pay more than $500 - once you max out that deductible you are still paying co-insurance until you hit your max out of pocket which is usually a few thousand dollars.