Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Thom12255 posted:

You will pay more than $500 - once you max out that deductible you are still paying co-insurance until you hit your max out of pocket which is usually a few thousand dollars.

don't forget the $1000+ monthly premiums for your family of 4!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

don't forget the $1000+ monthly premiums for your family of 4!

That's only if your employer is subsidizing your plan; otherwise, it's $2,000/month! (Plus individual deductibles for each family member.)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

And no, co-pays don't count towards your deductible(s)!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

And no, co-pays don't count towards your deductible(s)!

"Also, even if we cover the doctor, we don't cover the (very expensive) lab tests and the anesthesiologist. Get hosed."

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

CommieGIR posted:

"Also, even if we cover the doctor, we don't cover the (very expensive) lab tests and the anesthesiologist. Get hosed."

I had to do a bunch of labs for my kid last year and found out the hard way that the lab IN THE loving CHILDRENS HOSPITAL is not in-network, and got completely hosed on the bill.

Willa Rogers posted:

That's only if your employer is subsidizing your plan; otherwise, it's $2,000/month! (Plus individual deductibles for each family member.)

Yeah, easy to forget that little detail. I priced out the monthly COBRA on my insurance recently as I may be switching jobs. There was no way I could pay the amount they were asking just to cover insurance for the transition period.

Insurance is a loving parasite.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 13, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I had to do a bunch of labs for my kid last year and found out the hard way that the lab IN THE loving CHILDRENS HOSPITAL is not in-network, and got completely hosed on the bill.

Yeah, easy to forget that little detail. I priced out the monthly COBRA on my insurance recently as I may be switching jobs. There was no way I could pay the amount they were asking just to cover insurance for the transition period.

Insurance is a loving parasite.

Yup. Same. Both for my annuals and my kids labs, not covered. They paid $15 of the $600.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Has anyone actually calculated exactly how much the parasitic insurance industry sucks out of the US economy? Is it all going to some CEOs at the top, or is the leeched flow going to an army of claim-denying middlemen? Maybe both?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Scam Likely posted:

Has anyone actually calculated exactly how much the parasitic insurance industry sucks out of the US economy? Is it all going to some CEOs at the top, or is the leeched flow going to an army of claim-denying middlemen? Maybe both?

like 3% is going to the middlemen, and the rest to a couple dozen execs

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Trump probably cost himself votes during his first debate with Biden and of course Palin cost McCain the election with her performance.

Now, usually they debates mean nothing other than the media to create horserace narratives.
Palin didn't lose the election for McCain based on the VP debate. Never before had expectations been lower, and by merely being a complete idiot, she wildly exceeded them.

It was the economy crashing down that sealed the deal for Obama, though he had generally been favored the entire campaign. McCain had to answer for Bush and Republicans generally, and fall 2008 was not a good time to do that. Palin was a desperation pick to try to turn things around, and it didn't work.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Scam Likely posted:

code:
Insurer	2019 Q2 Profits	2020 Q2 Profits	2021 Q2 Profits
UnitedHealth	$3.4 billion	$6.6 billion	$4.3 billion
CVS/Aetna	$1.9 billion	$2.9 billion	$2.8 billion
Anthem	$1.1 billion	$2.3 billion	$1.8 billion
Cigna	$1.4 billion	$1.8 billion	$1.5 billion
Centene	$495 million	$1.2 billion	($535 million loss)
Humana	$940 million	$1.8 billion	$588 million
http://chirblog.org/second-quarter-earnings-bring-profits-insurers-delta-variant-signals-uncertainty/

about that much

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I know that everyone is :matters: around here but the main Oath Keepers dude was just arrested for "seditious conspiracy"
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/13/leader-of-far-right-extremist-group-oath-keepers-arrested-for-january-6-riot-conspiracy-reports-say.html

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Inferior Third Season posted:

Palin didn't lose the election for McCain based on the VP debate. Never before had expectations been lower, and by merely being a complete idiot, she wildly exceeded them.

It was the economy crashing down that sealed the deal for Obama, though he had generally been favored the entire campaign. McCain had to answer for Bush and Republicans generally, and fall 2008 was not a good time to do that. Palin was a desperation pick to try to turn things around, and it didn't work.

I still remember in the run up to that debate that Biden "better pull his punches" or it would be seen as unfair or something. We never really got to see him debate as VP until Paul Ryan decided to randomly bring up car accidents.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

I know that everyone is :matters: around here but the main Oath Keepers dude was just arrested for "seditious conspiracy"
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/13/leader-of-far-right-extremist-group-oath-keepers-arrested-for-january-6-riot-conspiracy-reports-say.html

Why are they going after private citizens that can't afford to defend themselves with the massive force of corporate law firms and not the openly seditious elected republicans that egged on/minimized/ignored the "insurrection" that can afford expensive legal...oh gently caress it, the question answers itself.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Lib and let die posted:

Why are they going after private citizens that can't afford to defend themselves with the massive force of corporate law firms and not the openly seditious elected republicans that egged on/minimized/ignored the "insurrection" that can afford expensive legal...oh gently caress it, the question answers itself.

Because flipping private citizens who can implicate those openly seditious elected republicans makes the DOJ's job a little easier.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

Because flipping private citizens who can implicate those openly seditious elected republicans makes the DOJ's job a little easier.

Sure, that's a fair point. Call me cynical but I think most of the private citizens that took part have drank enough of the kool-aid that they'll happily serve out their terms as heroic political prisoners or whatever they tell themselves.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lib and let die posted:

The head of the Proud Boys is just "a private citizen"? Don't minimize the harm these white supremacists have done.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

The head of the Proud Boys is just "a private citizen"? Don't minimize the harm these white supremacists have done.

Absolutely.

The leader of the proud boys is not a public servant - not a politician, not a police officer, not acting on the agency of any particular division of government. being a head of a nongovernment group - centralized or otherwise - is the textbook definition of a "private citizen"

According to the Hawaii legislature:

quote:

“Private citizen" means any natural person other than a police officer who is actively engaged in the performance of the police officer's official duties

https://mphawaii.tripod.com/RBlaws/RBFullText.PDF

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Their reasoning is a pile of poo poo but to be expected from this court

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1481710289125089283?s=21

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I guess it's now it's officially law in the United States that pandemics may not be addressed and must be allowed to run wild

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Sure, that's a fair point. Call me cynical but I think most of the private citizens that took part have drank enough of the kool-aid that they'll happily serve out their terms as heroic political prisoners or whatever they tell themselves.
Nazis roll on each other basically 100% of the time, it's their favorite thing to do besides beating minorities when they can outnumber them 5:1

E: I still don't think anyone important will be charged though just because everyone involved wants to preserve the precedent that ex-presidents cannot be charged with crimes committed while in office

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

haveblue posted:

I guess it's now it's officially law in the United States that pandemics may not be addressed and must be allowed to run wild

They are to be addressed only if businesses would lose money by not addressing it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

They are to be addressed only if businesses would lose money by not addressing it.

They're going to lose a ton of money in the long run by not addressing it, but they would lose less money in the short run by addressing it, so clearly the latter is a better choice

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

haveblue posted:

They're going to lose a ton of money in the long run by not addressing it, but they would lose less money in the short run by addressing it, so clearly the latter is a better choice

Since when has capitalism ever been concerned with long term sustainability?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ReedReports/status/1481716724332441600

What a poo poo show. Has Schumer or whoever scheduled a date for the vote yet?

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Lib and let die posted:

Every G. Gordon Liddy has his James W. McCord.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Scam Likely posted:

There was a study that said American healthcare was 18% more expensive due to private insurance alone.

They couldn't calculate the exact percentage of the intermingling hospital/insurance/medical device providers/doctors all using made up prices to get more money from the other, but it was separate from the 18%.

Medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and provider compensation were the biggest contributing factors. Insurance itself was a smaller share than those, but that 18% is essentially providing nothing. So, it is probably the largest source of dead weight.

(This was for healthcare spending overall and not what the consumer actually pays. On the consumer end, it is probably insurance and in-patient stays.)

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

VorpalBunny posted:

only if used in the next few years

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lib and let die posted:

Absolutely.

The leader of the proud boys is not a public servant - not a politician, not a police officer, not acting on the agency of any particular division of government. being a head of a nongovernment group - centralized or otherwise - is the textbook definition of a "private citizen"

Perhaps by charging said (prominent) private citizen with sedition, you can gather information about the public officials that he was very likely in communication with on and around that date.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Aegis posted:

Every G. Gordon Liddy has his James W. McCord.

Yeah, but McCord wasn't swallowing handfuls of heartgard and hanging around with polio patients hoping he could catch it to prove it's not a big deal. These people are deeply, deeply devoted to their illusions.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Their reasoning is a pile of poo poo but to be expected from this court

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1481710289125089283?s=21

Cool. Biden should just say “that’s nice” and ignore the illegitimate Supreme Court and carry out the penalties anyway.

To suggest otherwise is the be complicate with the spread of covid or believe there isn’t anything wrong in the first place.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Aged members of Congress are leading to some Weekend at Bernie's-like moments:

quote:

Rep. David Scott, 76, is a member long respected by both parties — and a historic figure as the first Black lawmaker to lead the agriculture panel. But people close to the Georgia Democrat, known for his low-key manner, acknowledge he’s noticeably slowed in the last few years, citing his increasingly halting speech and trouble at times focusing on a topic.

House Democrats in December 2020 voted for Scott to lead the panel, but some of his decisions since then have frustrated an array of his colleagues. POLITICO spoke with 28 lawmakers, congressional aides and other government officials for this article. Ten lawmakers who detailed concerns about Scott spoke on condition of anonymity in order to speak candidly about the sensitive situation.

“I have the utmost respect for Chairman Scott,” said a Democrat on the committee. “But he could be doing a better job.” The person added: “I don’t necessarily know if it’s his health or what, but something is wrong.”

This lawmaker described speaking with Scott last November about details of a bill in a conversation where Scott appeared attentive and engaged. A few days later, the lawmaker was shocked by how much Scott struggled to carry on a conversation about the same bill. He seemed to lose focus, was unable to find the words to complete his thoughts at times and didn’t seem to remember ever discussing the legislation before, this lawmaker said. Scott’s office did not respond to a request for comment about the incident.

Several Democrats, including members of the Black and Hispanic Caucuses, said subcommittee chairs would likely take on more of the work negotiating pieces of the farm bill with Scott in charge.

”It's not really his physical health. He struggles getting around,” said another Democrat on the agriculture panel. “But there are real questions about whether he's with it.”

In a press availability last July, Scott struggled to convey basic facts about a bill just advanced by the committee. He claimed, unprompted, that the bill had 42 co-sponsors, when in reality it didn’t have any. He made several other mistakes before an aide stepped in and ended the event. Scott hasn’t answered reporters’ questions in a similar, scheduled media availability since. Aides cite his busy schedule as one reason.

Making any move against Scott, a well-liked Congressional Black Caucus member, would cause significant problems for House leaders who themselves are all octogenarians. Scott, a Blue Dog Democrat from Georgia, boasts sterling bipartisan credentials.

Cool Congress we have, in which powerful members experiencing dementia-like issues are publicly supported.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 13, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

He's the head of the oath keepers, not the proud boys, and yes he's a private citizen. I'm a little suspicious because the government has treated these groups with kids gloves for years. They trap sympathetic idiots while generally ignoring the higher ups of far right extremists. Grabbing someone like Stewart Rhodes and charging with sedition is a big escalation though.

Mellow Seas posted:

Perhaps by charging said (prominent) private citizen with sedition, you can gather information about the public officials that he was very likely in communication with on and around that date.

Maybe! Though the initial indictment and details actually paint a picture that they were not in communication with public officials. https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/589616-fbi-arrests-oath-keepers-leader-on-jan-6-charges

This could easily be obfuscation or intentional withholding of those details but it's also possible they acted on their own and all of the messaging was done through the media which isn't a conspiracy. I guess we will have to see, that is the fun of speculation.

Edit: RE: Willa's article, I have an uncle who's younger than the president who has late stage Alzheimer's. I think of this a lot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Oath Keepers is very much a right wing group. Their talking points are fully aligned with Right Wing talking points. It is a Far Right Anti-Government org and nobody is going into that group thinking otherwise.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oathkeeper leadership is like 100% former cops of the "Sheriff Joe but not PR savvy" type, the amount of criminal activity they are engaging with in the most ham-fisted and obvious possible way is doubtless breathtaking

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Cool Congress we have, in which powerful members experiencing dementia-like issues are publicly supported in the name of social justice.

It owns, beyond any measurable comprehension that can be quantified, that the only way to find out the state of our statesmen is if everyone involved is promised complete and total anonymity. In an era of unforeseen livestreaming of everything, the only way to know that our elected officials are Mr Magoo-ing their way through their careers is if someone else who can't be identified tattles on them.

No small wonder so many folks are sympathetic to the plights of assange et al

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

haveblue posted:

The justification given in the court ruling would also apply to literally almost everything else OHSA does, so I have to wonder how long until there's lawsuits to get rid of rules around wet floors or fire extinguishers.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Willa Rogers posted:

Cool Congress we have, in which powerful members experiencing dementia-like issues are publicly supported in the name of social justice.

It's fine if we don't argue about this again (you and I) but this person you are complaining about (deservedly) is possibly a boomer. I say possibly because the age cut-off is about within one year of their birth date based on some interpretations. Some say he is a boomer, some say he's barely outside of it. I'm glad that we can agree on how brain decay and privilege from that education leads to positions of power, though.

vvvvvv yeah, that's a good point. I don't know what "social justice" in this context means but often when people poo poo on it they mean "non-white people only got success due to social justice." I can't say that's what Willa means, but that's often how it's used.

Maybe it's the Boomer thing?

His brother in law was Hank Aaron, so that's cool.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 13, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Willa Rogers posted:

Where do you get the idea that it's social justice? Because he's black?

It's because of decorum and the fact that he's a moderate/conservative vote, not "woke politics"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

It's because of decorum and the fact that he's a moderate/conservative vote, not "woke politics"

I might put forth that the way our elders are (mis)treated in this country is absolutely a social justice issue. Social justice isn't just for nonwhites - it's for the disabled, the elderly, the mentally ill, and all sorts of other groups ripe for social abuse!

Though it's probably worth pointing out that outcomes for, say, elderly Black women are worse than for elderly White women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jaxyon posted:

Well that and glasses houses