Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

EasyEW posted:

I mentioned several times that the in-universe explanation is "blackmail", but sometimes you just gotta find those receipts. And turns out that storyline was slightly more nuanced than what I remember. But still vaguely unsettling, in the traditional Holbrook manner.

Amended: Dethany should kill her loving boss.

Funny Online Rage Zombie Outbreak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure the deal with Harry Dinkle is the same deal with St. Lisa of Cancerbean. Character creep. Lisa started out as a normal person with normal problems who, unfortunately, got cancer. Things were rough for a while, but she beat it. Yay! But her cancer arc got some attention and Batiuk needs attention so he can keep selling his strip to papers, so... Lisa's cancer came back! And this time she went to CONGRESS! And this time there was medical fuckupery! And she DIED!!! Oh no! And a strip called "Funky Winekerbean" doing a serious cancer arc ending in the death of a main character also generated a lot of attention. So! We need the attention and can't leave that there, Les has to mourn Lisa! And write books about Lisa! And go on tours talking about Lisa! And does charity walks for Lisa! And sometimes Lisa comes back as a ghost to save Les from death or watch him gently caress his new wife or whatever! Les generally gives the impression that he thinks he is the only person on earth whose loved one died of cancer not because we are supposed to think he is a smug self-absorbed dick, but because Batiuk is still chasing that dragon and can't let it go.

Same thing happened to Harry Dinkle. Started out as a regular band leader with foibles. Band leaders IRL identified with his bandleader shenanigans like leading a band in bad weather or having to fundraise or dealing with students. They cut out Dinkle strips and put them on their walls and bought Dinkle coffee cups or whatever. But oh no! It's attention! So now Harry Dinkle gets ironic hearing loss! And, um, I don't know! All the IRL band leaders agree that he's the best band leader, right? Or why would they cut out his strips? So now he's the undisputed God King of musical pursuits, as all high school band leaders rightfully should be! Right??? YOU IDENTIFY WITH AND LOVE THIS poo poo, RIGHT??? BUY THE MERCH PLEASE NEWSPAPER COMICS DON'T PAY WHAT THEY USED TO OH GOD OH PLEAS

Anyhoo

Why go to a special workshop just to fill out a test and add up my own score and read my own results? I can take a Buzzfeed quiz and get the same thing and they'll even add up the score for me and I might even get to be a faerie queen or something.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Leaving all the rest of that garbage aside, EVERY little girl's dad calls her "punkin'". My dad did. It's not that hard to guess.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gnoman posted:

In my experience, it's normal to announce that you're going to bed, or otherwise indicate why you are leaving the room. Because it is useful for the other people you're around to know if you're not coming back (and thus they might want to change the channel or do something else with the TV), or if you're going to be passing the kitchen and can grab a beer or something on the way back.
What Ed did is completely normal and fine and I will never forgive Dustin's mom for making me align with him. The correct response is "OK, goodnight!"

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Sir, all we've found is footage of a whiny loser jackass that spent the night getting sloppy drunk at the bar."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

:hai:

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"Sir, all we've found is footage of a whiny loser jackass that spent the night getting sloppy drunk at the bar."

50 / 50 It cuts soon back to Wilbur in the water and he has a wacky adventure and learns something when suddenly he's woken up on one of the deck chairs where he passed out by Estelle and they both are more in love than ever.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: The gift (36/1936)

:unsmith:

A good dad.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Alterian posted:

50 / 50 It cuts soon back to Wilbur in the water and he has a wacky adventure and learns something when suddenly he's woken up on one of the deck chairs where he passed out by Estelle and they both are more in love than ever.

Do not bring this potential evil into the world

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe if her love thoughts were also part of the dream and she then friend zones him so hard he jumps off for reals.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Herman the Heathen

Zofie's World

Pondus

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe Wilbur's being isekai'd into an RPG world of sexy singing catgirls

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

thank you for posting these so i don't have to

gently caress you for posting these

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"We saw this drunk jackass fall off the boat. That was about 20 miles behind us, so it's best to assume he got eaten by a shark."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hwurmp posted:

I can't believe Wilbur's being isekai'd into an RPG world of sexy singing catgirls

"Aaargh! Naneko-chan, you have ruined my solo!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Endless Mike posted:

"We saw this drunk jackass fall off the boat. That was about 20 miles behind us, so it's best to assume he got eaten by a shark."

"Now remember, he was very lazy and already looked pretty bloated to begin with, so if we find his body bobbing around in the surf it's not a given that he's drowned."

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

How long have the Luann characters been in college at this point? It feels like forever. They can't possibly still be freshman, right? Right?? Anyway they should be way beyond the point of doing these kinds of career aptitude tests by now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fyadophobic posted:

How long have the Luann characters been in college at this point? It feels like forever. They can't possibly still be freshman, right? Right?? Anyway they should be way beyond the point of doing these kinds of career aptitude tests by now.

They went to seek the lady out to take them. Because they are emotionally locked to being 12.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Julet Esqu posted:

Why go to a special workshop just to fill out a test and add up my own score and read my own results? I can take a Buzzfeed quiz and get the same thing and they'll even add up the score for me and I might even get to be a faerie queen or something.

Dear god, what is this quiz where every career path is on a linear numeric scale?

"Well, if your score had been 3 less, we'd recommend 'Dance Instructor', 7 more and it would be 'Airline Pilot', but your score is solidly in 'Costumed Crimefighting Vigilante.'"

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Bernice is perfectly suited to be "city ordinance enforcer who will sue a poor family into oblivion because their fence is a quarter inch too high, and rules are rules".

Presto fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 13, 2022

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Presto posted:

Bernice is perfectly suited to be "city ordinance enforcer who will sue a poor family into oblivion because their fence is a quarter inch too high, and rules are rules".

bernice is just an even more boring dethany

the same absolute bootlicking but without a single affected quirk

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nice trick with the speech bubbles on that Zits.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Noice

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I'm going to look stupid but I can't for the life of me understand this one. I mean, I understand that the giraffe thugs are making it look like they have short necks, but to me that implies that it's some sort of reversal of the norm. But the only way that makes sense is if the norm is that human thugs make their necks look longer? Is that a thing?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm going to look stupid but I can't for the life of me understand this one. I mean, I understand that the giraffe thugs are making it look like they have short necks, but to me that implies that it's some sort of reversal of the norm. But the only way that makes sense is if the norm is that human thugs make their necks look longer? Is that a thing?

"no-neck" is uncommon and archaic slang for a thug, lunk, galoot, or possibly palooka

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Doomykins posted:

Billingsley loves rap and horror movies, he just dialogues weird. That nerd in basement joke is tongue-in-cheek.

Jucika "502 - And The Topping Out Ceremony"

Huh, I'd never heard of a Topping out ceremony before. Neat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_out

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Perfect!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hwurmp posted:

"no-neck" is uncommon and archaic slang for a thug, lunk, galoot, or possibly palooka
Oh I thought they were just slouching really low and sauntering in a cool punk sort of way.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Endless Mike posted:

Per google a cruise ships travels at ~20 knots, which is about 23 (let's say 20) mph give or take.
Wilbur fell off the boat (and wagon) at 7pm because. No one saw him, so there was no alert.
Let's be generous and say Estelle paged him at about the same time as he fell, 7pm.
Wait 10 minutes for a response. Page again, wait another 10. Page a third time, wait 5, start to worry. Dither for 5 minutes.
Go talk to the captain, he's a busy man, so please wait 5 minutes. Detail the situation and start examining the security footage takes probably 10-15 minutes.
Let's be generous and say they find the footage of him within 5 minutes.

That's 50-55 minutes AT BEST that they've identified Wilbur as man overboard. Even if he doesn't drift at all, that's still at best a 30 minute return trip at best speed (~30 knots apparently), so 90 minutes to get back to the spot where Wilbur fell overboard.

How long can a trained swimmer tread water? In open ocean?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mercury Hat posted:

Huh, I'd never heard of a Topping out ceremony before. Neat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_out

They did one of those for the International Space Station when they attached the module that brought the station to its full "height", during the STS-97 mission. Bringing along an actual tree wasn't feasible, so they made do with a picture. :3:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

El Spamo posted:

Per google a cruise ships travels at ~20 knots, which is about 23 (let's say 20) mph give or take.
Wilbur fell off the boat (and wagon) at 7pm because. No one saw him, so there was no alert.
Let's be generous and say Estelle paged him at about the same time as he fell, 7pm.
Wait 10 minutes for a response. Page again, wait another 10. Page a third time, wait 5, start to worry. Dither for 5 minutes.
Go talk to the captain, he's a busy man, so please wait 5 minutes. Detail the situation and start examining the security footage takes probably 10-15 minutes.
Let's be generous and say they find the footage of him within 5 minutes.

That's 50-55 minutes AT BEST that they've identified Wilbur as man overboard. Even if he doesn't drift at all, that's still at best a 30 minute return trip at best speed (~30 knots apparently), so 90 minutes to get back to the spot where Wilbur fell overboard.

In scuba training we had to do it for 30 minutes, in full gear. And not using any of the oxygen.

Now this was in a pool. In open ocean, the panic sets in mentally a good deal sooner.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

El Spamo posted:

Can be hours. The difficulty (if he's sober, not dead, and not doing anything further stupid) would be more tracking him down, even if he could stay above the waves for a couple days. There's a lot of open ocean, and it's not easy to section it off and search carefully.

On a more narrative level, if the plan was for him to get rescued, then I feel like the 'wait, man overboard' call would go out much quicker. He's either going to spend time on a convenient island, or he's probably actually intended to be killed off.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Part of me hopes we get Wilbur on a cliche comic strip island that's just a small bit of sand with a single palm tree.

Hwurmp posted:

Oh wow I've never heard of that before. Neat, thanks!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm waking up every morning checking the Mary Worth website like it's 13 years ago and I'm checking the Smash Dojo

Cowslips Warren posted:

In scuba training we had to do it for 30 minutes, in full gear. And not using any of the oxygen.

Now this was in a pool. In open ocean, the panic sets in mentally a good deal sooner.

I also assume the pool is probably more climate controlled and not full of choppy waves and you were also not a dweeb drunk in the middle of the night

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break for a while

Old School Peanuts (Apr 14, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 24-25, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 14, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He will coat the surface like an oil slick, becalming the waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ZeeToo posted:

Can be hours. The difficulty (if he's sober, not dead, and not doing anything further stupid) would be more tracking him down, even if he could stay above the waves for a couple days. There's a lot of open ocean, and it's not easy to section it off and search carefully.

On a more narrative level, if the plan was for him to get rescued, then I feel like the 'wait, man overboard' call would go out much quicker. He's either going to spend time on a convenient island, or he's probably actually intended to be killed off.

Fat floats and he's drunk so maybe he's not that panic. he could float on his back just staring at the night sky for quite a while.

Then an uncharted island appears and he gently misses the reefs and lands ashore. For the next year he eats nothing but coconuts and crabs and gets hella buff. Finally rescued he get backs home absolutely shredded and tan. They passionately make up while both the cat and the dog takes a poo poo on his pants.