Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

oldpainless posted:

What I’m saying here is the new one seems like a child’s fan fiction

The movie actually owns but I am Morpheus is such a clunky line that it almost derails the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The movie actually owns

Mmmmmm

No

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The movie actually owns

*oof meme*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed it more than the other Matrix sequels.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Resurrections proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the decade+ of memes about Keanu not aging are not accurate

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Manager Hoyden posted:

Resurrections proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the decade+ of memes about Keanu not aging are not accurate
He's almost 60. Dude's doing fine

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's by far the best sequel.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't seen it yet but everything I've seen people complain about makes me more excited to see it.

It's like when I hear a film got booed at Cannes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

He was finally exposed because he trusted Lana and obviously has a lot of humility about what The Matrix did for his career and wanted to deliver for the fans. The stuff he's been praised for in the John Wick series is due to him working with the best choreographers and stunt people in the entire industry, and also his willingness to put in months of intense training. None of that happened on Matrix Resurrections, and that's why he looks so slow and bumbling in those action scenes. He's never been an actual martial artist or gun expert, he needs the real pros to come in and train him up. What makes him special is that he's willing to do all that even at age 40 and 50+. He's never been someone like Donnie Yen or Scott Adkins who can come in and shoot a good fight scene in a few days with no preparation.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Matrix Reboot but all the agents are Donnie Yen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Donnie Yen and Scott Adkins are both gonna be in John Wick 4 so I'm hyped for that.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Basebf555 posted:

He was finally exposed because he trusted Lana and obviously has a lot of humility about what The Matrix did for his career and wanted to deliver for the fans. The stuff he's been praised for in the John Wick series is due to him working with the best choreographers and stunt people in the entire industry, and also his willingness to put in months of intense training. None of that happened on Matrix Resurrections, and that's why he looks so slow and bumbling in those action scenes. He's never been an actual martial artist or gun expert, he needs the real pros to come in and train him up. What makes him special is that he's willing to do all that even at age 40 and 50+. He's never been someone like Donnie Yen or Scott Adkins who can come in and shoot a good fight scene in a few days with no preparation.

He was wheezing and shuffling his way through John Wick 3 too. I've never understood how people think he's this ageless immortal - dude absolutely looks his age and has for a while. There's nothing wrong with that. That said, when I was watching Resurrections I was imagining Reeves on set being like, "You know, Lana, I know some guys who could punch up these action sequences a bit...no? Well alright then"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
At this point the next John Wick movie should be written with Keanu's physical limitations kept in mind. Make him more crafty in his kills.

Honestly I'm expecting John Wick 4 to have strong First Blood vibes with him out in the woods counter-hunting assassins.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Honestly I'm expecting John Wick 4 to have strong First Blood vibes with him out in the woods counter-hunting assassins.
In the next Jonh Wick we'll discover a secret society of assassin trees. Also assassin bears. And killer bees. If something is on screen for more than 30s, it's probably an assassin of some kind.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Jan 13, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
He’s no Paul Rudd.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

He was wheezing and shuffling his way through John Wick 3 too. I've never understood how people think he's this ageless immortal - dude absolutely looks his age and has for a while. There's nothing wrong with that. That said, when I was watching Resurrections I was imagining Reeves on set being like, "You know, Lana, I know some guys who could punch up these action sequences a bit...no? Well alright then"

I assume you are talking strictly in action here because if you know a lot of 57 year olds who look like Keanu Reeves does I think we all need to know their daily routines.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The beard helps cover that he is getting jowly. You see him with his beard shaved and he's just a reasonably fit grandpa.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Also by John Wick 3 he was at the end of like 48 hours of constant fighting and getting shot. He'd been getting the poo poo kicked out of him for 2 days. He wasn't meant to be in a great way. I'd expect a bit of wheezing and/or shuffling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He looked a lot older at the Matrix premiere than he usually does.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The movie was so bad it destroyed his immortality

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Roblo posted:

Also by John Wick 3 he was at the end of like 48 hours of constant fighting and getting shot. He'd been getting the poo poo kicked out of him for 2 days. He wasn't meant to be in a great way. I'd expect a bit of wheezing and/or shuffling.

Dude was having the worst week. I think only Jack Bauer has more poo poo happen to him in a short period of time.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

oldpainless posted:

The movie was so bad it destroyed his immortality

It's a good movie because it gave us "Trinity stole his moveset".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah M4trix is definitely the best of the sequels and frankly is probably the best we could have gotten out of "It's a Matrix sequel in 2021 and the only actors they can get back are Neo, Trinity, Jada Pinkett-Smith and the Merovingian."

Like of course a lot of the dialog is clunky, it's overall kind of nonsensical, and some of it is shot in a bizarrely bad way, but it's also kind of a small story about Neo and Trinity and not THE FATE OF THE WORLD SOMEONE THINK OF ZION. There were some cool ideas! The only inclusion of bizarre programs like the Merovingian and the Ghost Twins was a cameo! Christina Ricci was in it for 30 seconds!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah M4trix is definitely the best of the sequels and frankly is probably the best we could have gotten out of "It's a Matrix sequel in 2021 and the only actors they can get back are Neo, Trinity, Jada Pinkett-Smith and the Merovingian."

They could’ve gotten Fishburne back but it was always the plan to go this route with Morpheus, and Hugo Weaving says Lana wouldn’t work around his schedule (though frankly it makes more sense to re-style Smith as a handsome tech CEO type).

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Whoever said it felt like Matrix fan fiction was dead on

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Henchman of Santa posted:

They could’ve gotten Fishburne back but it was always the plan to go this route with Morpheus, and Hugo Weaving says Lana wouldn’t work around his schedule (though frankly it makes more sense to re-style Smith as a handsome tech CEO type).

I thought getting a different black man with a shaved head was kind of a weird choice, it really just seemed like they did their best to get a sort of Fishburne-looking younger guy. I probably would have preferred they went with an actor that looked nothing like Smith or Morpheus. I didn't mind the idea of Smith re-awakening in his boss/co-founder guy or Smith being sort of a neutral party/ally at the end, but I didn't see any of the Smith character in that guy's performance.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Kinda wish they'd have gotten that dude from when smith took him over.. He loving nailed weaving's acting style. Shave him, dress him up, no one would recognize him.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Kinda wish they'd have gotten that dude from when smith took him over.. He loving nailed weaving's acting style. Shave him, dress him up, no one would recognize him.
:same:

Reloaded is still the best Matrix sequel, purely off the strength off its middle section. Resurrections was better than Revolutions but it didn't have a single memorable action set piece, which was kind of disappointing but also kind of the point I guess. Same goes for the new city, IO - I really wanted to see more of that but again, "there are more interesting stories to be told elsewhere" was the main theme of the film, so :v:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Reloaded is the only matrix movie I've never actually seen in its entirety. I went to see it in the theater on a date and she asked to leave during the rave scene because it was too vulgar or whatever and I've just never felt the need to go back and watch it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You missed out, it has some really cool action scenes.

The plot is... I dunno, I want to say it is extremely cringe, except it's not, it feels like it should be, the matrix in general feels like it should be, but I think a big part of that is because it was such a massive definer of style and ideas that it became kind of played out. But at the time it really was the coolest loving thing ever, and I can't help but still feel that watching it back.

The plot isn't the best overall, and falls rather flatter in the third movie I think, but watching the movies through it has almost like a D&D campaign kind of feel to it, like this is just some massive nerd writing something they think is cool and because you're there in it, it actually kind of is? And hell yeah let's all wear black trenchcoats and fight with katanas and unironically enjoy it. Even as trite as I think it should feel it seems to manage to power through on force of style alone. That's probably more than a little nostalgia in my case but I still do enjoy it.

I feel like in the intervening years it's become almost camp, or rather it always was but now it just stands out more, but it's still fun as hell.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Jan 15, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In reloaded they decided to make the matrix green by putting an ugly green smear filter over it, which made the action scenes look uglier than it should have

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There was always a green filter in the matrix and a blue filter out of the matrix

Maybe they overdid it the once, but it was a very deliberate and obvious choice from the beginning

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FFT posted:

There was always a green filter in the matrix and a blue filter out of the matrix

they added heavy green filter to the first movie in the blu-ray release, so it'd match the sequels. There are scans on youtube from the original 35mm theatrical version which are hella less green

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Jan 15, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Okay maybe but I remember it being hella green before blu-ray existed

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Those were the green-rays

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But all worth it for that one brief moment they see the sun.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Ahh yes the sun-rays

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Pretty soon you'll be telling people there are no rays

It'll be a ray ban

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FFT posted:

Okay maybe but I remember it being hella green before blu-ray existed

here's a picture from the original theatrical version

how it looked in the home version

you see it's commentary about how money (green) ends up retroactively distorting how people remember films (the matrix) because creators lose their spark and become interchangeable cogs in the WB machine (the matrix, but the in-universe one this time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't neo's office at the start extremely green? I remember that whole bit having a really sickly colour to it, which I assume is the point.