Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
EHX 45000 or 95000? I have no personal experience with these specific pedals, but they seem to fit the bill.

They also have a few cheaper stereo options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i've got a Keystep 37 and a Model D that i've been messing around with. I want to sync it up with some sort of drum machine, but am awash in options. I do already have a Pocket Operator (TO-20 Arcade), but I kind of hate using it, it feels like i'm always fighting with it. Sync also always seems off with the Keystep, even after changing the sync pulse on the Keystep.

What's a good bang for my buck intro drum machine? So far, I've found the Arturia Brumbrute Impact, Elektron Model:Cycles, or a Korg Volca Drum. The Brumbrute seems the easiest to get up and running with, but less flexible than the Model:Cycles. Volca is cheapest, but seems a little fiddly to use.

Anyone got any thoughts?

frogbs fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 13, 2022

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
If you want to go even cheaper and more barebones, behringer's rd-6 is good. I use the tom trigger output on mine to sync my pocket operators and it seems to work well.

Volcas are really fun to use and have a ton of good features for their price. I think out of the stuff you named, the volca would probably be the best intro drum machine.

I don't know much about the drumbrute but the cycles looks really cool. Does a lot more than something I'd call an "intro drum machine" though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I use my Impact way more than my Drum for that reason (@ the ease of use vs fiddly aspect). It’s awesome to touch, very well laid out, sounds amazing. It’s a joy. Seriously such a well done piece of hardware when it comes to how you physically interact with it.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 13, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

frogbs posted:

So i've got a Keystep 37 and a Model D that i've been messing around with. I want to sync it up with some sort of drum machine, but am awash in options. I do already have a Pocket Operator (TO-20 Arcade), but I kind of hate using it, it feels like i'm always fighting with it. Sync also always seems off with the Keystep, even after changing the sync pulse on the Keystep.

What's a good bang for my buck intro drum machine? So far, I've found the Arturia Brumbrute Impact, Elektron Model:Cycles, or a Korg Volca Drum. The Brumbrute seems the easiest to get up and running with, but less flexible than the Model:Cycles. Volca is cheapest, but seems a little fiddly to use.

Anyone got any thoughts?

how do you wanna sync? midi or triggers?

606/707/808/909s (or the attainable remake/clone) are cool, so are Dr Rhythms

CatBlack posted:

If you want to go even cheaper and more barebones, behringer's rd-6 is good.

yeah, didn't realize they were so cheap! they're (the 606) extremely interfaceable boxes and they make great noises

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Model cycles is just ok imo. The sounds it makes are cool but there’s not much depth to the engines. So you have to make it interesting with sequences and param locks. Also those big pads are not squishy and you cannot finger drum on them very easily. They take a lot of force to even register

I like the form factor. It feels solid. If it had squishier pads and maybe onboard batter I would have kept it

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i really like the model cycles but the snare engine just isn’t all that great. maybe there’s some depth to it that i haven’t discovered but i just can’t get a 909 type of sound out of it. i love the kicks, percussion, and cymbals you can get out of it tho

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Anybody here use or try the Korg SQ-64? Thoughts? Does this thing work good?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

What does everyone like for euro sample playback?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

frogbs posted:

Anyone got any thoughts?
Maybe have a look at the tr-6s?
It has a pretty neat looking editor application. https://youtu.be/5oNFASVNH9Q

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

magiccarpet posted:

What does everyone like for euro sample playback?

I don’t own it but I want the squid salmple

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have the erica sample drum if you have any questions about it

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

frogbs posted:

Anyone got any thoughts?

Drumbrute Impact is fun and easy to use, and has separate outputs for kick, hats, snare and FM drum if that's useful. I don't really like the kick/snare sounds much without putting them through distortion but I prefer something really crunchy so YMMV. Has both midi and clock I/O so can play well with other gear.

Model: Cycles is fun and does more than just drums but like the other poster says, I also can't get a good snare out of it. Delay and reverb built in though if that would be useful for your drums. Very fun sequencer though and can sequence other gear too if you're willing to give up tracks. If you only need drums and don't think you'll want the synth/chord stuff that the Cycles can do then the Model: Samples could be an option instead since then you could just load up a 909 or 808 or w/e kit into it and still have the elektron sequencer but could change up your drum sounds if you get bored.

Volca Drum is a small and a bit fiddly, and isn't as good for sequencing as the other two but IMHO can sound incredible for its size and cost.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 13, 2022

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

I have the erica sample drum if you have any questions about it

Ah this is perfect, thank you.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

Ah this is perfect, thank you.

its great for percussion. in theory I can use it like an mpc and sequence slices by selecting them with a voltage but I haven't been able to line up my poo poo right to get it working perfect

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah it looks like a little jungle box, which is perfect. I'm looking to do some old industrial and this will pitch down and crush those wood blocks very nicely.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

While we’re close to the topic. Is there a way I can use my Drumbrute Impact to trigger my Model:Samples while in song mode? I’ve actually never used the song mode on the Impact but I want to start learning for, you guessed it, writing songs. The samples lacks that mode and I wasn’t sure if I can do it combined. Sorry for the dumb clunky question 99% of my synced synth action is just to get the timing set.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

While we’re close to the topic. Is there a way I can use my Drumbrute Impact to trigger my Model:Samples while in song mode? I’ve actually never used the song mode on the Impact but I want to start learning for, you guessed it, writing songs. The samples lacks that mode and I wasn’t sure if I can do it combined. Sorry for the dumb clunky question 99% of my synced synth action is just to get the timing set.

the model samples probably needs a program change message to switch patterns programmatically. so check if the drumbrute song mode transmits program changes

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

A MIRACLE posted:

the model samples probably needs a program change message to switch patterns programmatically. so check if the drumbrute song mode transmits program changes

Model:Samples manual says this is correct. You have to turn the receiving of Program Change messages to ON, and you can select what MIDI channel to listen on. I don't know what PC# cooresponds to which Pattern but I assume it's PC0 = Pattern A1 PC1 = A2 and so on...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This Christmas I got an arturia keystep and it's made me more serious about making music with my various synths I've collected. What should I look for in a keyboard/synth stand? Right now I only have with me my Yamaha DX21 (heavy and bulky as hell) and a Yamaha PSS 480 and the keystep (both are pretty light and relatively small). I have a couple of others kept elsewhere for space reasons that I might use on occasion. As far as price goes I'd prefer best value over best quality

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I've been looking at a lot of reviews and videos, seen lots of people rave about the SQ-64, it appears to have a lot of really cool features. But I just found a page on it at reddit, where everybody is calling it a piece of doodoo. Just yahoos throwin' doodoo, or is this actually not good? I've seen a lot of peeps doing some pretty esoteric stuff with one on youtube today, would sure love to hear from some of the folks I know and respect here.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

This Christmas I got an arturia keystep and it's made me more serious about making music with my various synths I've collected. What should I look for in a keyboard/synth stand? Right now I only have with me my Yamaha DX21 (heavy and bulky as hell) and a Yamaha PSS 480 and the keystep (both are pretty light and relatively small). I have a couple of others kept elsewhere for space reasons that I might use on occasion. As far as price goes I'd prefer best value over best quality

If you aren't moving it around, those OnStage stands are fine. I used to have a setup like yours with a giant heavy gently caress M-Audio 88 keyboard on the bottom and then a piece of plywood across the top where I put down a Virus Desktop and Kaoss pad.

Like this thing
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZStd2Tier--on-stage-stands-ks7365-ej-pro-heavy-duty-folding-z-stand-with-2nd-tier

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

GorfZaplen posted:

Since you are trying to reduce costs, if you have the ability you could try making one . But if you're limited on resources or the necessary skillset, yeah, Onstage is one of the good'uns.

ED: Oh, and well met, fellow Yamaha PSS fan.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 13, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, been all over the internet and despite it having some really fascinating features I've not seen too often in a hardware device but have in one of my favorite VSTs, I'm getting a strong impression that it can be a real headache. I'm leaning more toward the keystep 37 RN.

ED: Note that the SQ-64 has just gotten its first firmware update, mid-December.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 14, 2022

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

FIZMO!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4sGv9BbWXc

Espen Kraft did a Fizmo video.

He says there were only 2000 made. That's crazy, I used to own 1 of 2000 Fizmos. :psyboom:

I sold mine waaaaaay too early. :eng99:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i saw the new-ish video from look mum now computer about building a midi controller and i have a bunch of arcade buttons and switches over from upgrading a controller and i’m tempted to buy an arduino and make one. i’m so bad at soldering tho

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Sorry for not posting more here. Since late October-ish it's been mostly more gear acquisitions and not much else, such is the way of things right now. I figure most folks don't intrinsically care about the poo poo I've bought lately, outside of at least some connection to a beep boop creative context, if not outright "actual" music making. Much of the actual fiddling lately has been tuning things or diagnosing weirdnesses in order to do some fixes. That, and buying power supplies.

Some pages back (around on page 545 on, or so?), some people expressed some fondness for the Nord G1 editor. In a similar aesthetic vein if not attempting at all to emulate the sound of the G1, I'd direct folks who haven't already seen it to check out Wren: https://www.bluehell.nl/wren/

In recent "lies I've told myself" news, one of the recent purchases was "my last eurorack" case, triggered by the need to put some Pittsburgh Modular modules somewhere. I'm intentionally tying to leave much of the unclaimed space in it empty, if not for as long as possible, then as the only last remaining space I have for any eurorack bits... we'll see how long this lasts. I feel like I haven't really gone nuts in eurorack, but I'm just fooling myself. That said, I've been more drawn to designed & configured systems like the Make Noise Shared System or the Roland System-500 stuff than the mix and match buffet eurorack and modular enables. Where I have done that, I've kind of done it semi-intentionally haphazardly, if that makes sense. That is, outside of the designed systems, with modules from a single vendor, I've just bought what seems neat or interesting here and there over time, rather than try to design a custom eurorack system of my own with a specific thesis. That's been kind of fun for me, and random, and a neat creative challenge when I have made time to tinker with the actual gear, but I wouldn't recommend it as any kind of smart use of money.

As I say this, I realize I also just recently splurged on a Buchla Easel Command, which is now my first step into banana gear. Oh no. Oh god, oh no...

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

minidracula posted:

Sorry for not posting more here. Since late October-ish it's been mostly more gear acquisitions and not much else, such is the way of things right now. I figure most folks don't intrinsically care about the poo poo I've bought lately, outside of at least some connection to a beep boop creative context, if not outright "actual" music making. Much of the actual fiddling lately has been tuning things or diagnosing weirdnesses in order to do some fixes. That, and buying power supplies.

Some pages back (around on page 545 on, or so?), some people expressed some fondness for the Nord G1 editor. In a similar aesthetic vein if not attempting at all to emulate the sound of the G1, I'd direct folks who haven't already seen it to check out Wren: https://www.bluehell.nl/wren/

In recent "lies I've told myself" news, one of the recent purchases was "my last eurorack" case, triggered by the need to put some Pittsburgh Modular modules somewhere. I'm intentionally tying to leave much of the unclaimed space in it empty, if not for as long as possible, then as the only last remaining space I have for any eurorack bits... we'll see how long this lasts. I feel like I haven't really gone nuts in eurorack, but I'm just fooling myself. That said, I've been more drawn to designed & configured systems like the Make Noise Shared System or the Roland System-500 stuff than the mix and match buffet eurorack and modular enables. Where I have done that, I've kind of done it semi-intentionally haphazardly, if that makes sense. That is, outside of the designed systems, with modules from a single vendor, I've just bought what seems neat or interesting here and there over time, rather than try to design a custom eurorack system of my own with a specific thesis. That's been kind of fun for me, and random, and a neat creative challenge when I have made time to tinker with the actual gear, but I wouldn't recommend it as any kind of smart use of money.

As I say this, I realize I also just recently splurged on a Buchla Easel Command, which is now my first step into banana gear. Oh no. Oh god, oh no...

Yo! Thanks for that! I feel like I checked this out AGES ago and it wasn't quite stable then or I wasn't in the read mindset or w/e, but I had totally forgotten about it and will definitely revisit this now, thanks!

For some reason the Aphex Twin SyroBonkers stuff got brought up again in some news feed, and I had a re-look over it. For anyone who hasn't read the interviews, they are archived up at https://web.archive.org/web/20141111015756/http://noyzelab.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html and https://web.archive.org/web/20141111015756/http://noyzelab.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/syrobonkers-part2.html, and there's loads of interesting poo poo in there. I had never heard of Eurocard before, and now I want a rack of these Hinton modules for some reason http://hinton-instruments.co.uk/. Also the stories about acquiring his 3 Korg PS-3300's... etc Anyone who hasn't taken a look should. Especially because it's comforting to see that no matter how nuts you think you are about gear, very successful musicians do things like have a "small setup just for the Bedroom" be a Buchla 400 with a pair of Dynacord Add One digital drum machines and a stack of Marshall Time Modulator delays.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Anyone have a Strega/0-ctrl? If so, how do you like them?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Both, but I only just got the Strega recently and haven't really F'd with it yet. Actually, this is a good a time and an excuse to go do so.

I like my 0-CTRL quite a bit, but definitely go in with a clear idea of what it is if you're thinking about getting one, maybe go play with one at your local friendly neighborhood synth shop. Unquantized values, voltage control uber alles, and a literal hands-on imperative. (I find all of these things a big part of the general Make Noise approach and ethos.) Do you have particular questions about it, or can you give me a sense of what you're thinking about re: it? That might help me give you some more useful feedback.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I have an 0-ctrl and I tried the strega. I'm a bit of a Make Noise fanboy but I genuinely think the 0-ctrl is a great sequencer.

I sold my Pressure point + Brains because the touch controls were not the best, and the 0-ctrl fixed any issues I had with the pressure point. The 0-ctrl is like a mix between 2 pressure points + brains and an envelope generator + internal clock. Also the selling point for me was the variable step length.

It's a really open sequencer (not quantized, plenty of patch points) encouraging you to try different things. It can even turn into an oscillator at audio rates. With the three CV outputs it can also be used as a meta-controller, you don't have to limit yourself to using 0-ctrl to sequence another synth.

I use it all the time for short sequences for techno track and it's perfect for live wiggling.

Strega I really want it but I feel I can get almost the same results with the shared system so I can't justify the purchase, but the delay sounds lovely and it's a great synth for instant ambient.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 15, 2022

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

I’ve got the 3-pack and absolutely love them. When all in a vertical case, they’re all set up patch points wise in a very complimentary manner.

Strega is a weird one that encourages experimentation. Very unique sounding, instant ambient machine.

0-Ctrl is an extremely open ended device. Since it’s all unquantized voltage, it supports thinking outside the box. I use it to sequence bass from the Strega while using the individual sequencer triggers for accents and chokes on the Akemies Taiko. Patch random poo poo and see what happens!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dang. I need a windows xp computer to run a bunch of 32 bit apps for old synths and weird drive formats. I hope that bad gear guy doing a review on windows xp isn't going to drive up the price of old dells

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Voice of Labor posted:

dang. I need a windows xp computer to run a bunch of 32 bit apps for old synths and weird drive formats. I hope that bad gear guy doing a review on windows xp isn't going to drive up the price of old dells

Can you not just run in a VM or something?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've got a Strega and I'm enjoying it even without a sequencer. Like previously mentioned it's great at what it does so if that's what you are looking for you'll like it but if you want something that can do lots of things it might not be the best choice.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I have the Strega and it's a riot. It can get bananas pretty quickly if you want it to, but it can be restrained, too. I like running non-synth sound sources through it.

And a question for the thread - I got an Amazon gift card from work for Christmas ($100) and I figure I may as well get something to scratch the GAS itch. Thinking about a Zoom H4n Pro recorder, but any other ideas? Don't want to spend a ton of money on it, anything in that same price range or less is fine.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 16, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Cables and stands are nice to have

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

I have the Strega and it's a riot. It can get bananas pretty quickly if you want it to, but it can be restrained, too. I like running non-synth sound sources through it.

And a question for the thread - I got an Amazon gift card from work for Christmas ($100) and I figure I may as well get something to scratch the GAS itch. Thinking about a Zoom H4n Pro recorder, but any other ideas? Don't want to spend a ton of money on it, anything in that same price range or less is fine.

Maybe one of the best dang multi-fx / monosynth hybrids on the (entry level) market? https://www.amazon.com/Korg-NTS-1-Digital-DIY-Synthesizer/dp/B07XH591BH/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Can you not just run in a VM or something?

I tried that once and it choked when I tried to get it to write to a usb floppy drive. I kinda want to start patching my synths again, which requires running sounddiver. I wouldn't mind having a little computer island just for patching synths but I don't really want to be paying a premium for an old rear end pc. I'm also going to need to do floppy operations for weirdly formatted disks at some point and probably something with a serial port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

minidracula posted:

Both, but I only just got the Strega recently and haven't really F'd with it yet. Actually, this is a good a time and an excuse to go do so.

I like my 0-CTRL quite a bit, but definitely go in with a clear idea of what it is if you're thinking about getting one, maybe go play with one at your local friendly neighborhood synth shop. Unquantized values, voltage control uber alles, and a literal hands-on imperative. (I find all of these things a big part of the general Make Noise approach and ethos.) Do you have particular questions about it, or can you give me a sense of what you're thinking about re: it? That might help me give you some more useful feedback.

Haha, I wish, more that I'm a big ol' NIN/Cortini fanboy and they popped up in a synth group I'm in for cheap, so I pulled the trigger, theyre on the way. I've never quite meshed with outboard gear that isn't external keyboard synths - I had a digitakt for a while and never gelled with it, and this setup seems a lot more "gently caress around and find out" rather than "you must learn all these button shortcuts before you can make something that sounds good". Plus I love droney, dystopian, cinematic soundscapey stuff. Any tutorials out there you've found helpful though I'd love to peek at, or even just videos so I can get excited while it's on the way if you've got em.

Slore Tactician posted:

I’ve got the 3-pack and absolutely love them. When all in a vertical case, they’re all set up patch points wise in a very complimentary manner.

Strega is a weird one that encourages experimentation. Very unique sounding, instant ambient machine.

0-Ctrl is an extremely open ended device. Since it’s all unquantized voltage, it supports thinking outside the box. I use it to sequence bass from the Strega while using the individual sequencer triggers for accents and chokes on the Akemies Taiko. Patch random poo poo and see what happens!

I legit didn't know the 0-coast was meant to be part of the package, I thought it was only a two setup, shows how much I know - truthfully I haven't looked much into makenoise at all until Strega came alone since modular stuff always kind of struck me as a really expensive way to make unappealing sounds for 99% of people who use it, so I've been skeptical of the learning curve. The strega appealed to me more because it doesnt seem like there's a wrong way to do it, just mess around until you find what you like. I'm curious, what vertical case do you have? Any chance you have a photo of it all set up and patched that you'd wanna post?

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

it's a great synth for instant ambient.

yessssss