Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

TinTower posted:

Basically, Plato was the Greek version of Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson.

That would be Simon "Saint Peter" the apostle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:
Plato wasn't actually called Plato but probably Aristocles. Plato was a nickname given to him by his wrestling coach meaning "Broad" due to his broad and statuesque chest. One of the most influential philosophers of all time is referred to by a his wrestling handle, a name that essentially means "Swole"..

You could have gone with "Biggie" here, but you didn't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If the Greeks were anything like the Romans, seems they had a tendency to go by nicknames a lot in personal and formal life, probably because there were only like twenty formal names to go around.

See also 'Caesar'. And it works pretty much exactly like mob nicknames, which in general is an excellent example for describing Roman life given those social norms are literally what the Mafia is based on.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If the Greeks were anything like the Romans, seems they had a tendency to go by nicknames a lot in personal and formal life, probably because there were only like twenty formal names to go around.

See also 'Caesar'. And it works pretty much exactly like mob nicknames, which in general is an excellent example for describing Roman life given those social norms are literally what the Mafia is based on.

My favorite example of this is Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, aka Caligula.

The hobnailed marching sandals worn by the Roman army at the time were called "caligae", and wee little Gaius would follow his papa around on campaign. He had a little uniform and sandals of his own that he would wear around, because kids are kids and parents are parents. The soldiers nicknamed him "Caligula", the diminutive form of "caligae".

Essentially the Roman emperor whose name is today synonymous with madness and depravity was known as "Bootsie".

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Big Plato Pump is your hookup, holla if you hear me!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

frankenfreak posted:

Big Plato Pump is your hookup, holla if you hear me!

Science-fiction author Plato, creator of the Atlantis. Wrestler and Philosopher (for his friends)

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Greek and Roman naming systems were completely different, and it was actually really unusual for Greeks to have nicknames, or the equivalent of cognomina (like "Caesar"). This was in part because the pool of Greek names in use in most communities in the ancient world was really diverse; usually if a person needed to differentiate themselves from a namesake, they either within their own community used their tribal or demotic affiliation as a secondary identifier (i.e. Demetrios of Halai Aixonides), or outside of their own community used their ethnic (i.e. Demetrios of Athens).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are there a lot of aquatic incestuous dutch?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are there a lot of aquatic incestuous dutch?

Kinda?

On the northeast of that bubble, you got Urk. Used to be an island of fishermen, but since they turned the surrounding sea into a polder it's reachable from dry land.

They never got rid of their extremely insular culture though. Very conservative, don't want anything to do with outsiders, lowest vaccination percentage of the whole country.

On the southwest you got Volendam. Also a traditional fishing village although not an island. It's also quite famous for having a rather conservative culture of its own, and for preferring to spend time amongst themselves.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

On the southwest you got Volendam. Also a traditional fishing village although not an island. It's also quite famous for having a rather conservative culture of its own, and for preferring to spend time amongst themselves.

You forgot to mention its terribly dumb music

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The hobnailed marching sandals worn by the Roman army at the time were called "caligae", and wee little Gaius would follow his papa around on campaign. He had a little uniform and sandals of his own that he would wear around, because kids are kids and parents are parents. The soldiers nicknamed him "Caligula", the diminutive form of "caligae".

Essentially the Roman emperor whose name is today synonymous with madness and depravity was known as "Bootsie".

I'm reminded of El Chapo, one of the most famous gangsters/drug lords of all time, whose name means "Shorty" because he's a small dude. Funny how diminutive nicknames can stick around even after someone ascends to power. I bet he really didn't like that name at first.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Count Roland posted:

I'm reminded of El Chapo, one of the most famous gangsters/drug lords of all time, whose name means "Shorty" because he's a small dude. Funny how diminutive nicknames can stick around even after someone ascends to power. I bet he really didn't like that name at first.

Toto Riina was also called Shorty. Don't trust short men

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mexican culture is extremely nickname based. Rejecting his nickname out of pride would be like pissing on the tricolor

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rejecting a nickname would only make his nickname stick harder I bet

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My favorite thing about Mexican nicknames is that they're almost always like, whatever it is you're the most self conscious about yourself. So many motherfuckers just go their whole lives being called Baldy or Fatty or Clumsy Idiot by everyone, including everyone who loves them. It owns.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
After about 20 pages I realized this wasn’t a really long US Pol derail it was a hilarious map thread I had never opened before. Thank you for the laughs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I bet Capone wasn't fond of Scarface but mob nicknames æ, like facts, don't care about your feelings.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Nicknames are dumb as hell, what's so difficult about calling people by their name?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Kenning posted:

My favorite thing about Mexican nicknames is that they're almost always like, whatever it is you're the most self conscious about yourself. So many motherfuckers just go their whole lives being called Baldy or Fatty or Clumsy Idiot by everyone, including everyone who loves them. It owns.

Also don't forget the mildly racist ones like Chino or Guera

I used to teach at a school that was mostly Hispanic students and this one short dark skin kid, every one called "Mowgli"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Space Kablooey posted:

Rejecting a nickname would only make his nickname stick harder I bet

Having attempted to reject a nickname in middle school I can attest to this. It became so entrenched people didn't know any other name for me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I feel like anyone that was actually your friend would call you by whatever name you preferred and only assholes would continue using some moronic nickname.

I'm going to grad school at the University of Washington and as part of orientation they ask you which name you prefer people to call you as well as ask you to record yourself pronouncing it for your profile in the school's system. I think it's a pretty good system for ensuring people are referred to by their preferred name.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mustang posted:

I feel like anyone that was actually your friend would call you by whatever name you preferred and only assholes would continue using some moronic nickname.

That'd been nice, yeah.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Mustang posted:

Nicknames are dumb as hell, what's so difficult about calling people by their name?

There were six people with my Christian name in my small class in high school.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Have a better name.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Minenfeld! posted:

Have a better name.

Wasn't up to me, sadly.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mustang posted:

Nicknames are awesome what the hell

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You could have gone with "Biggie" here, but you didn't.

On this topic based on statues of him, I'm convinced that Socrates didn't altogether not resemble Raekwon of the Wu Tang Clan.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mustang posted:

Sorry you got "Copronymus".

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Mustang posted:

I am more fond of nicknames, because thers more variety in nicknames, where is normal to find more than one John or one Maria in a room.

Ideally we would have 64 bits UID's instead of both.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 14, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I’m partial to Charlemagne, or as his friends knew him, “Big Chuck”.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a bridge named after president Pehr Evind Svinhufvud in Naantali, but it's officially Geezer Pete's Bridge because that's what people called him. (Well, Ukko-Pekka, but I have done the unthinkable and translated a proper name for the benefit of foreigners.)

FUN FACT: svinhufvud means swine head.

Here's a picture of s/s Ukko-Pekka sailing under Ukko-Pekka Bridge (the one in the foreground):

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 14, 2022

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I’m partial to Charlemagne, or as his friends knew him, “Big Chuck”.

IIRC his mother was basically known as Bigfoot Bertha: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrada_of_Laon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not in what they call you. It's why.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
With his parents being Pepin the Short and Bertha Broadfoot, Charlemagne had a lot to live up to and big shoes to fill.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What I love is how that sticks around with your progeny sometimes for millennia. Robert Curthose comes to mind, whose name may have come from a nickname his father gave him meaning "short stockings" and now there's probably thousands of people out there with some spelling variation of that for a last name.

That's like if I called my kid "Silly Butt" then, hundreds of years on, there's entire families of Sylibuts out there. John Sillebot, Anne Selibut, what have you. Strange.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Getting back to the Roman example, that's exactly how cognomina worked. The Romans had a pretty rigid system of a handful (literally only about 15) of praenomina (i.e. Gaius) paired with nomina, or family names (i.e. Julius), but this naturally led to a bunch of people with the same name running around.

So pretty early on cognomina were formally adopted to differentiate between different individuals, but they were basically just nicknames, and a lot of them were descriptive or derogatory, like Calvus (bald), Rufus (redhead), etc.

Some families got real weird with cognomina. The famous Calpurnii had five branches:

Bestia (beast)
Bibulus (drunkard)
Flamma (flame)
Lanarius (woolworker)
Piso (grinder)

Incidentally, there's a whole bunch of legume cognomina, most famously Cicero (chickpea), whose cognomen supposedly derived from the fact that his ancestor's nose resembled a chickpea.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

Getting back to the Roman example, that's exactly how cognomina worked. The Romans had a pretty rigid system of a handful (literally only about 15) of praenomina (i.e. Gaius) paired with nomina, or family names (i.e. Julius), but this naturally led to a bunch of people with the same name running around.

So pretty early on cognomina were formally adopted to differentiate between different individuals, but they were basically just nicknames, and a lot of them were descriptive or derogatory, like Calvus (bald), Rufus (redhead), etc.

Some families got real weird with cognomina. The famous Calpurnii had five branches:

Bestia (beast)
Bibulus (drunkard)
Flamma (flame)
Lanarius (woolworker)
Piso (grinder)

Incidentally, there's a whole bunch of legume cognomina, most famously Cicero (chickpea), whose cognomen supposedly derived from the fact that his ancestor's nose resembled a chickpea.

It's not that weird. Like in most major European languages, some family names in Dutch also derive from nicknames. There's a few spicy ones in Flanders:
- Quaghebuer (evil neighbour)
- Onghena (no mercy)
- Onraedt (ill counsel)
- Verdoodt (from death)
- Malfait (ill-made) > technically a French surname, but still

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The gently caress?