Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It seems like they had just enough content to release about it leading right up to the original December ship dates, but now with the delay there really isn't much more to show. Though they definitely should update the Steam page for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no point advertising when it's gonna get delayed again

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no point advertising when it's gonna get delayed again

No, tomorrow morning I'm going to get an email that mine has shipped. I will it to be so.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
wow you manifested an update!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1675180/announcements/detail/3122683923029138793

quote:

Happy New Year! The team is back from the holiday and firing on all cylinders - we’ve got a few updates for you today.

First and foremost, we’re on track to ship Steam Deck on time. Global pandemic, supply issues, and shipping issues notwithstanding, it looks like we'll be able to start getting these out the door by the end of February. You can view your estimated reservation availability window here, in case you've forgotten.

In parallel, work and testing for the Steam Deck Verified program has been underway. You’ll soon be able to see Deck Verified status for a growing set of Steam games. We’re checking four major categories: input, seamlessness, display, and system support. You can learn more about the program here.

It’s also important that we give developers the ability to test their games in order to get that nice green Verified check, so we’ve been sending developer kits out in quantity. We've been approving another wave of dev kits, and hundreds have been shipped out in the last month (and we're continuing to approve and send out even more). Thanks for your patience devs!

But what good are words when we have photos? Our production build is ramping up, and we have some of the first units in-house to test and evaluate (they're looking great).

More to come – but that’s it for today’s update.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Good update.

Don’t think there will be another delay tbh

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Reportedly, in the steam api, there is already a game listed as steam deck verified... it is of course, portal 2.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
portal 2 + gyro aiming hell yes

AgentF
May 11, 2009
In fact one of the games I used for learning gyro aiming on my Steam Controller

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Deck Certified flag has started showing up in the Steam backend so we can see what's already got the seal of approval

https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app_keynames&type=-1&keyname=530&operator=1&keyvalue=SteamDeckVerified

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Interesting to see vr only games on that list

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Harminoff posted:

Interesting to see vr only games on that list

well, if you look in the raw value:

{"display":"2","token":"#SteamDeckVerified_TestResult_SteamOSDoesNotSupport_VR"}}}

so being on that list doesn't mean it's working, it means it went through the approval process ,but it looks like all the ones outside of the VR games and Persona 4 on the list as of this very moment are supported

Persona 4 shows:
{"display":"2","token":"#SteamDeckVerified_TestResult_SteamOSDoesNotSupport"}}}

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I guess P4G has an issue with a licensed codec being used that isn’t supported by standard-issue Proton, presumably because they’d have to pay to do so. Sounds like the kind of thing that can be worked out and resolved.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Anno posted:

Yeah I guess P4G has an issue with a licensed codec being used that isn’t supported by standard-issue Proton, presumably because they’d have to pay to do so. Sounds like the kind of thing that can be worked out and resolved.

Well, the good news for that one is you can just install Retroarch and emulate the PSP version if you really gotta get that P4G on your Deck.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/1484010884292698116

P4G should've used Bink video like the good games.

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!

pseudorandom name posted:

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/1484010884292698116

P4G should've used Bink video like the good games.

Man, it would be great to see Dreams come to PC and consequently the Steam Deck. The gyro controls and touchpads would fit the interface perfectly.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Arcsech posted:

Well, the good news for that one is you can just install Retroarch and emulate the PSP version if you really gotta get that P4G on your Deck.
P4G is Vita, dunno the state of emulation for that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

P4G is Vita, dunno the state of emulation for that.

not great

P4G does run in the ProtonGE fork though, since that ignores the legal issues and bundles the proprietary codecs

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
News on EAC

https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/4145017/view/3137321254689909033

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Really awesome news

quote:

Our team has been working with Epic on Easy Anti-Cheat + Proton support over the last few months, and we're happy to announce that adding Steam Deck support to your existing EAC games is now a simple process, and doesn't require updating game binaries, SDK versions, or integration of EOS. Alongside our BattlEye updates from last year, this means that the two largest anti-cheat services are now easily supported on Proton and Steam Deck.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What's still not clear to me is how much security they're giving up to get those ACs running in Proton

EAC and BE are both kernel-mode on Windows but AFAIK they're user-mode on Linux? Making Linux integration easy is one thing, but some devs are still going to pass if it's easier to crack

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Can’t say I’m buying a Deck for multiplayer action, but that is really awesome news for Linux gaming in general.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

How can we cheat if we don't have Decks, Valve?

:qq:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Worse comes to worst couldn’t they just do a Steamworks mod that replaces all the Persona 4 cutscenes with standard .mp4 or something?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They're already doing something similar with other WMF titles, but I would expect it requires direct permission from the publisher.

In the mean time there's ProtonGE, which is an annoying extra step to install but once you do you can set the game to use it in Steam's interface and it'll work.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

v1ld posted:

How can we cheat if we don't have Decks, Valve?

:qq:

I Have No Deck, and I Must Steam

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

That's a thread title if ever I saw one.

February / Q1 Release is fast approaching, hopefully we'll get enough reviews before having to put money down.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

PowerBeard posted:

That's a thread title if ever I saw one.

:hmmyes:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The video codec stuff has been mostly resolved. The P4G problem is just a Wine bug. I think it's improved and playable in the upcoming Wine 7.0 rebase.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Are re-encodes still required?

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 22, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

There's no significant changes to the general operation coming. Just some improvements to lower impact on users (less disk space, fewer cache misses).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I really don't like the fact that my ship date is the same as general availability despite ordering right away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, it’ll get delayed

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

I really don't like the fact that my ship date is the same as general availability despite ordering right away.

IDK. Current reservations are listed as “after Q2.” My day 1 reservation is just “Q2.” I’d assume getting a Deck without a reservation is going to be a Q3+ affair.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SEKCobra posted:

General availability will be whatever stock they have from cancelled reservations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Insanite posted:

IDK. Current reservations are listed as “after Q2.” My day 1 reservation is just “Q2.” I’d assume getting a Deck without a reservation is going to be a Q3+ affair.
I reserved like 4 hours 2 hours and 40 minutes after preorders opened and I'm "after Q2". I get the impression that the "after Q2" window is, rather wide.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Any notion as to how they’ll reach out to tell us they’re ready to complete the ordering process? Email, I’m guessing?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Any notion as to how they’ll reach out to tell us they’re ready to complete the ordering process? Email, I’m guessing?
That's how Index preorders worked, when your number came up they sent you an email to finalize it or you'd lose your spot after a week. I think it also popped up a notification in Steam.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

homeless snail posted:

That's how Index preorders worked, when your number came up they sent you an email to finalize it or you'd lose your spot after a week. I think it also popped up a notification in Steam.

Okay, cool, a week margin is fine. I assume I would see DECK ORDERS GOING LIVE in my socials/youtube algorithm, but I've been checking my email every day this month in case.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, I still don't get how I got Q1 with how broken the server was that day. Maybe Valve had an allocated amount for Ireland / EU and I got in under that.

As for payment, I wonder what the window will be like for that. Will it be, "Hey, do you still want to order this, if yes, then pay by 3rd to 5th to receive by the 28th".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I ordered the Deck within five minutes of it going live and have Q1. I don't know if I just got lucky with server prioritization or whatever but between PS5, XSX and this, this was the easiest by far for me.