Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gresh posted:

It is a struggle getting through episodes of this thing. It’s ugly, monotonous, and poorly paced so far with laughably inept action sequences. It’s a dud, folks.

actually it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Alan Smithee posted:

isnt S. Crumb getting spitroasted

Those were just random other Kowakian monkey-lizards we saw in Mando.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can do anything in Star Wars as long as it involves robes, repurposed ice cream mixers and world war 2 surplus weapons. 1960s mod culture is a step too far.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gresh posted:

It is a struggle getting through episodes of this thing. It’s ugly, monotonous, and poorly paced so far with laughably inept action sequences. It’s a dud, folks.

:chloe:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Who wins in a fight? One of the Mods from Boba Fett or Mutt the greaser from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lobok posted:

Who wins in a fight? One of the Mods from Boba Fett or Mutt the greaser from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Mods aren't played by Shia LeBeouf and aren't in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. TKO.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think I figured it out. Book of Boba Fett is a Yakuza game set in the Star Wars universe. Fett is just Ichiban running around being opposite day gangster helping people out and making friends along the way.

Yakuza: Like a Krayt Dragon

Reik fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 13, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lobok posted:

Depends. Boba Fett broke his toe kicking the wookiee and was up and walking two minutes later. Mutt the Greaser had his balls crushed by several plant stalks and kept sword fighting Galadriel and swinging with monkeys.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Reik posted:

I think I figured it out. Book of Boba Fett is a Yakuza game set in the Star Wars universe. Fett is just Ichiban running around being opposite day gangster helping people out and making friends along the way.

Yakuza: Like a Krayt Dragon

Much like Kazuma Kiryu, Boba Fett has also never killed anyone.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Much like Kazuma Kiryu, Boba Fett has also never killed anyone.

Episode 4 is just a half hour of Boba Fett figuring out how to play Sabacc and Holo chess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

“Street Fighter the movie was unironically good”

She’s right

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Reik posted:

Episode 4 is just a half hour of Boba Fett figuring out how to play Sabacc.

So does this make Fennic Majima then?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Fett is Ichiban, not Kiryu. He's a little bit of a goofball/jokester. That makes Fennec Ichiban's business partner, Eri.

His new pet is then:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What in the actual gently caress did I just watch? That was probably the worst chase scene I've ever seen in TV/film history. Who greenlit bright-colored hover motorcycles zooming through city streets on bland-rear end Tatooine? Crashing through 2 people holding a painting? That was the worst poo poo I've seen in a long time.

The rancor was cool until Boba decided he wanted to gently caress it.

This show is SO bad and makes Boba look pretty much inept at every turn in the present day scenes.

Good loving grief, Disney.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What in the actual gently caress did I just watch? That was probably the worst chase scene I've ever seen in TV/film history. Who greenlit bright-colored hover motorcycles zooming through city streets on bland-rear end Tatooine? Crashing through 2 people holding a painting? That was the worst poo poo I've seen in a long time.

This show is SO bad and makes Boba look pretty much inept at every turn in the present day scenes.

I thought it was good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

No, Mark Hamill is Majima. He's already done his voice once.

Lol.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

No, Mark Hamill is Majima. He's already done his voice once.

lol didn't he forget about voicing Majima?

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/988131660762824704?s=20

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

is twitter leaking

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I think it may say more about you than the pretend spaceman that you take a display of affection towards a pet as a sexual thing, IDK.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Reik posted:

lol didn't he forget about voicing Majima?

Yeah he did. The first game was what, 2005? I think Hamill was pretty busy at the time since he'd also been doing DC cartoons and whatever other voice work that a few weekend sessions for a game localization probably blurred for him.

He's actually a pretty good Majima when all is said and done. There were a lot of good English voiceovers for Japanese games back then. The first Samurai Warriors game has a killer voice cast.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think it may say more about you than the pretend spaceman that you take a display of affection towards a pet as a sexual thing, IDK.

lol i like that guy's "boba was nice to an animal, which required showing emotion, which is unmanly" train of logic though

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
seemed pretty obvious to me that the rancor was this show's answer to baby yoda, but if you're having forbidden thoughts about the rancor you do you

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

site posted:

seemed pretty obvious to me that the rancor was this show's answer to baby yoda, but if you're having forbidden thoughts about the rancor you do you

I think Boba wanted to gently caress the black wookie and letting him go free was some sort of sexual politics power move. Prove me wrong, internet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

But honestly, why does Boba seem so completely inept in the present day scenes? He acts nothing like a badass bounty hunter he was portrayed as in the movies, and the crime lord syndicate he's supposed to be in the show.

He gets surrounded by laser shields in episode 1, but doesn't use the JETPACK he has to get out of them?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Boba fett got punted into a sand vagina by a blind man what movies were you watching.

This is like the EU treating Tie Fighters as garbage flying coffins despite the movies consistently showing them to be deadly and flown by absolute lunatics. People build up this bizarre preconceived notion in their heads that doesn't square with what is actually shown.

Or how Hollywood convinced themselves that Ghostbusters was a family friendly adventure movie and not a joke about cynical small business owners scamming their customers.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 13, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
He's depressed

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Fetts are emotionally complex creatures.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Boba wanted to gently caress the black wookie and letting him go free was some sort of sexual politics power move. Prove me wrong, internet.

unlike the rancor post, this one's true

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerkface posted:

Fetts are emotionally complex creatures.

Star Wars TV Megathread: Fetts are emotionally complex creatures

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I feel like most healthy people in peak physical condition don't sleep in a bacta tank every night.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also the point of the show seems to be about how Boba Fett is hosed up and traumatized by his near-death experience and has clearly lost a step since he got swallowed by the sand vagina and has been softened a little bit by his recovery process and now he's trying to do a bunch of things that are well beyond his paygrade as some wandering chump bounty hunter and he's making all sorts of mistakes and pissing everyone off and it's clearly leading him towards some serious Consequences in the near future because of he's that out of his depth.

The thesis seems to be:

BOBA FETT: I've got this poo poo.

NARRATOR: Boba Fett did not, in fact, have this poo poo.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
So the vespa gang of misfits with inspector gadget gizmos should have been a rabble of dirty, dingy gear-head youths with cobbled together speeder choppers.

They should have been introduced in background establishing shots of Mos Espa in Episode 1 or 2 and shown to be trouble makers and generally up to no good. This would help to establish a sense that Mos Espa has become somewhat lawless and less safe following Jabba's demise and introduce us to these punks ahead of time.

Then when Boba Fett gets the video game quest from Stephen Root to stop them from stealing his stapler water, we would already be familiar with them and it would be a cool twist when Fett offers to have them work for him. Also, we would just understand that life in Mos Espa is rough and that these kids probably don't have a lot of opportunities...

... or ya know, just make them a kids with attitude disney channel cartoon cyber power squad to sell toys to kids in the 90's

Penitent fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 13, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

tbh I think the show should be portraying Boba as more badass than it is, and it is making him seem like a chump. I'm okay with him getting kicked around and loving up, but the dude was a bounty hunter with enough cred to be hired by Vader, he should be pretty cutthroat just to have survived for long in that line of work. It'd be more interesting to see him go into it with a "just kill everyone" attitude and through the series learn finesse and restraint through a series of fuckups where thinking like a bounty hunter just doesn't work. As it is, the show is a constant string of Boba walking back and forth between people who betray him.

I am extremely okay with him wanting a giant Weird Dog to live in his basement and give scritches too because who wouldn't?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It's hard to build tension when the protagonist can just beat up/kill everyone that opposes him. The Mandalorian was allowed to be more of a badass because he was up against the remnants of the galactic empire with murder droids. Boba Fett doesn't have an antagonist of that scale on Tatooine because he's the guy in charge of Tatooine, so he has to be toned down to allow for actual conflict.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh I think the show should be portraying Boba as more badass than it is, and it is making him seem like a chump. I'm okay with him getting kicked around and loving up, but the dude was a bounty hunter with enough cred to be hired by Vader

Vader also hired a lizard, toilet paper head, insect c3po, and the cantina drink machine.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Boba Fett has always been a goddamn chump. The only competent thing he’s ever shown doing in the OT is tracking the Falcon to Bespin. He’s literally handed his bounty pre-frozen on Cloud City and then runs away from the fight with his prize. Then he turns that poo poo in to Jabba and apparently just hangs out until that dipshit Jabba allows an entire rescue team to infiltrate his palace and free Han, at which point Boba finally proves his badassness by… getting his blaster cut in half by a kid who barely qualifies as a Jedi and a blind man knocks him into a pit completely by accident with the help of his garbage junk jetpack.

If anything, this show is making him more competent than he was in the OT.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Reik posted:

It's hard to build tension when the protagonist can just beat up/kill everyone that opposes him. The Mandalorian was allowed to be more of a badass because he was up against the remnants of the galactic empire with murder droids. Boba Fett doesn't have an antagonist of that scale on Tatooine because he's the guy in charge of Tatooine, so he has to be toned down to allow for actual conflict.

What I'm saying is you establish Fett as a beat up dude who is still a badass but is resorting to violence because that's all he knows, and also to prove to himself that he's still Got It. Then you engineer situations where killing people makes things more complicated/worse. Have Boba start by killing a bunch of Bib's underlings but whoops! They were the people that knew how to run the Crime! Guess we'd better find some replacements. Or like the Hutts, have them hang around, a problem that Boba can't just gun down because then the entire Hutt family will come knocking and even he can't deal with that. poo poo, he needs more allies for this, remember the lessons learned making friends with the Sand People? And so on.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Boba Fett has always been a goddamn chump.

I'm sort of sick of this line of reasoning because the original trilogy absolutely frames him as clever enough to catch up to the protagonists when the other bounty hunters can't. He's one step ahead. In the TV series he's always two steps behind

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 14, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm sort of sick of this line of reasoning because the original trilogy absolutely frames him as clever enough to catch up to the protagonists when the other bounty hunters can't. He's one step ahead. In the TV series he's always two steps behind

Tracking someone and being some unstoppable badass who can kill everyone with a look are two entirely different skill sets and Boba has only been shown in the goddamn movies to be capable of one of them.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I gotta say for a crime lord Boba doesn't do a lot of crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Boba Fett was shown to be a clever tracker, which is part of what makes an effective bounty hunter. Bounty Hunting is not the "be the best at giant shoot outs" profession. Its the tracking & capture profession. And actually from the OT we can kind of glean that Fett may not be that good at capturing because he is told not to disintegrate the bounties.

There is plenty of expanded material that shows Boba is cool/feared/whatever. In the moving picture canon we have him defeat a dropship worth of stormtroopers , a biker gang, a giant sand creature, etc.